Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView posted:

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what that actually results in.

Not whining, but there is no denying that while "the process" sounded good on paper, between a few tough breaks in the lottery and Embiid's injury things haven't exactly gone to plan. In that case, as a Sixers fan, you have two choices:

1. Throw a bitch fit and cry about how they traded their rising young star, Michael Carter Williams for a lottery pick.

2. Try to stay positive and hope for the best, because we have no choice. I mean what's the alternative at this point? Surround your poo poo team with some average veterans which may propel them to 25 wins a year? I prefer the route they're going right now to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ty1990 posted:

rising young star, Michael Carter Williams

lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I just don't see it. If anything Minnesota has the most potential to put Ingram in a situation that will expose a lot of his weaknesses. He needs to go somewhere that's going to make him the focus of their offense and not ask him to play the 4 or the 2 for at least a couple years and forget any sort of small ball scenario.

Brandon Ingram's best fits are most definitely the Lakers or the Suns. He needs to be the focal point of the offense where he goes.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

It was meant to be a joke, for the record. Philly media poo poo on the front office for 6 months after that trade went down.

My favorite column on it was some reporter bitching about how he had to look his son in the face and tell him his favorite player, MCW, was traded so that Sam could collect another asset.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have no problems with The Process and wish my team was at least bold and had a clear direction/plan in place. That being said, doing something like that puts a tremendous strain on anyone paying money to go to the games and it wouldn't be just be cry baby whining if some people didn't like it and had a problem with it.

Ty1990 posted:

It was meant to be a joke, for the record. Philly media poo poo on the front office for 6 months after that trade went down.

My favorite column on it was some reporter bitching about how he had to look his son in the face and tell him his favorite player, MCW, was traded so that Sam could collect another asset.

It's a bit over-dramatic, but many sports fans like forming connections to the team no matter how lovely they are. Players get traded all the time but being so nakedly blatant about it can rub some people the wrong way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

:chanpop:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If you're too young to understand trades you're going to have pretty random favorites. Also he very well may have been their best player his rookie season

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Draft just got a bit more interesting. Bender has told Maccabi that he's not coming back.

David Pick – ‏@IAmDPick

NBA buyout to free Dragan Bender, source said, over $1 million. He is done with Europe, not a draft-and-stash.

7:12 AM - 6 Apr 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Draft just got a bit more interesting. Bender has told Maccabi that he's not coming back.

David Pick – ‏@IAmDPick

NBA buyout to free Dragan Bender, source said, over $1 million. He is done with Europe, not a draft-and-stash.

7:12 AM - 6 Apr 2016

Eh, I don't honestly think it changes much. Guy's gonna go 3-5 regardless. Maybe the Celtics look at him a bit harder now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think he's a definite 3 and makes it a 3 player draft now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bender looks good for a player his age but is still 2+ years away from where Porzingis was when he came to the league imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Bender looks good for a player his age but is still 2+ years away from where Porzingis was when he came to the league imo

Do you mean 2 years from draft Porzingis or 2 years from the Zingis who showed up in October.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dont know if we should do this in N/V or here, but in this century, what rookies have been good on D out of the gate? Just talking 'already not a liability' from day 1.Winslow, Smart come to mind recently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Towns, Karl Antonius
Nerlens Noel

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

Do you mean 2 years from draft Porzingis or 2 years from the Zingis who showed up in October.
2 years away from draft Zingis. Bender is really raw and I don't particularly like the way he shoots the ball. The physical tools are all there, though!

ButtWolf posted:

Dont know if we should do this in N/V or here, but in this century, what rookies have been good on D out of the gate? Just talking 'already not a liability' from day 1.Winslow, Smart come to mind recently.
RHJ, Roberson, Adams fouled too much but was great from the get go, Elfrid Payton...basically all of the players who get drafted primarily as defensive players are pretty solid.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ButtWolf posted:

Davis, since his D was further along than his O when first picked?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

C. Everett Koop posted:

Davis, since his D was further along than his O when first picked?

That was his reputation, but his offense was better than his defense his rookie year. Though, I guess he wasn't a liability on defense since he was a good rebounder.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
this year's 2nd best rookie, Nikola Jokic, is a good defender

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibner posted:

That was his reputation, but his offense was better than his defense his rookie year. Though, I guess he wasn't a liability on defense since he was a good rebounder.

Yeah, unless I'm remembering incorrectly he was kind of list on D a lot, but rebounded and blocked a lot of shots, so it kind of evens out.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, I think the main mistake of the Process so far was the lack of veteran/free agent presence to groom the young'ns. Every trade has been pretty defensible, but they were too cautious about bringing anyone in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They did sign FAs and veterans.

Anyway if you are saying Bender is 4 years from Zingis now good god that is pretty far away.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I didn't say they didn't sign any. It's just been very lacking. Elton Brand (or someone in his role) should've been brought on much sooner. Luc Mbah Moute was probably their best vet last season. I think Jason Richardson was barely actually with the team when he was nursing his injury. This season Carl Landry was their only real vet, and I'm not sure if he's ever been known as a leader.

Anyway, I'm not particularly disappointed with the Sixers. You've probably watched more games than I have, but I've seen probaby about 20 games more than most people this season.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

An actual useful veteran would be hard to find. Ones with actual leadership skills probably want to chase rings and not sit on a bench talking to a bunch of D-League and 10 day contract guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

I have no problems with The Process and wish my team was at least bold and had a clear direction/plan in place. That being said, doing something like that puts a tremendous strain on anyone paying money to go to the games and it wouldn't be just be cry baby whining if some people didn't like it and had a problem with it.

I agree that it'd be awful and I'd hate it if I were them, it just seems weird to be all excited about The Process and then sad when the plan to be bad on purpose results in watching lots of bad basketball

straight up brolic posted:

2 years away from draft Zingis. Bender is really raw and I don't particularly like the way he shoots the ball. The physical tools are all there, though!

RHJ, Roberson, Adams fouled too much but was great from the get go, Elfrid Payton...basically all of the players who get drafted primarily as defensive players are pretty solid.

I feel like a lot of those dudes were a liability on the whole though because they were so bad offensively

euphronius posted:

I think he's a definite 3 and makes it a 3 player draft now.

I admittedly have barely seen him but I don't think I agree on either

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok maybe not 3 player but you have 2 top tier and I guess now one in the tier right below and above all the ncaa upperclassman garbage.

(I apologize for speaking of the Process).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Murray has a good argument for being in that next tier and for being the 3rd pick too but I might like him more than most people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think people are way down on his non shooting abilities and athleticism.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is decidedly not a point guard but he's super young and very good at making baskets which is a pretty important thing. That's pretty good for this draft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc one scout called his upside "6th man combo guard".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In a weak draft (at least in terms of next tier), prospects with a strong skill that translates and is at a premium in the NBA are always a good bet. This is how I talked myself into Haseem Thabeet.

But yeah, I'd take him. Shooting is a good thing to have and guys like CJ McCollum got knocked for being 6th man combo guard ceiling prospect and Harden was knocked as not athletic.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 6, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I would rather have Murray, Dunn, and maybe Hield than Bender right now. Bender has the tools to be a great player in the NBA, but it remains to be seen if he'll ever realize them. His performance (or lack there of) this season has really tanked his value imo. Not an immediate NBA rotation player like Jokic or Porzingis

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
First page I said I wanted Ingram and Murray and nothing has changed. Please do this for me ping pong balls

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WhyteRyce posted:

In a weak draft (at least in terms of next tier), prospects with a strong skill that translates and is at a premium in the NBA are always a good bet. This is how I talked myself into Haseem Thabeet.

But yeah, I'd take him. Shooting is a good thing to have and guys like CJ McCollum got knocked for being 6th man combo guard ceiling prospect and Harden was knocked as not athletic.

Please do not use that name without placing it in spoilers, as it is extremely triggering to me. Thank you.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ragle posted:

this year's 2nd best rookie, Nikola Jokic, is a good defender

He's one of my favorite rookies and he's gonna be incredible but let's not get carried away. Devin Booker baby

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I have talked myself into Tyler Ulis too.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
How would Murray compared to Devin Booker if we're comparing Kentucky prospects.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't know anything about college bball. Dunno if it's gonna juggle around, but as of right now every simulation I'm running is giving Toronto the 9th pick. Who should I be getting unreasonably excited for and pining for who's gonna be around in that range?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nick Stauskas was a 9 pick in a loaded draft.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Nick Stauskas was a 9 pick in a loaded draft.

1, 2, 3 nik rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

attackmole posted:

I don't know anything about college bball. Dunno if it's gonna juggle around, but as of right now every simulation I'm running is giving Toronto the 9th pick. Who should I be getting unreasonably excited for and pining for who's gonna be around in that range?

You guys are currently projected to take the big white forward from marquette

• Locked thread