Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Genocyber posted:

Anyone know how to get to this item in Irithyll Dungeon?

Back inside the place you came from there should be a closed door at the end of a hallway; upper floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I guess I was wrong about the area invasion covenants. Something was changed with the last patch because on my new play through I get very sparse watchdog invasions, but if I use the orb in that area it's almost always instant. First play through I max'd the covenant in like 2 hours from the constant stream of invasions.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So if I'm following right, if you go Pyro and stack INT/FTH, there are weapon upgrade paths that would make them scale with INT/FTH as opposed to STR/DEX so I could still swing bigass weapons in between cleansing it all with fire?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Judging from past games, how "good" the scaling is will also depend on the weapon though. It could very well end up that infusing it with Chaos is worse than just leaving it normal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

So if I'm following right, if you go Pyro and stack INT/FTH, there are weapon upgrade paths that would make them scale with INT/FTH as opposed to STR/DEX so I could still swing bigass weapons in between cleansing it all with fire?

Yes. Chaos and Dark make it scale with Int/Faith. Apparently up to B/B, though I don't know if that's dependent on the weapon or not. It was in Bloodborne, but it also said it right out on the weapon what its latent Arcane scaling would be, and none of that is in DS3.

I'm told Chaos hits crazy hard when you're at high Int/Faith, harder than any of the other elemental infusions.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that both chaos and dark are elemental, which means no putting a weapon buff on top of that. So no carthus flame arc for your pyro. It isn't like dark souls 2, where you could sunlight blade a lightning infused heide spear, for double the lightning goodness.

As for which the usefulness of those infusions compared to a weapon buff, it is tough to say without more testing and exact stats.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gologle posted:

Judging from past games, how "good" the scaling is will also depend on the weapon though. It could very well end up that infusing it with Chaos is worse than just leaving it normal.

The physical infusions, at the very least, are frequently straight upgrades. Being able to slap legitimate B/B scaling on a weapon with Refined is insane...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I see heavy, sharp, and refined all as pretty much being no brainers if you are going for that type of build. Scaling that better matches your stats, and you can still resin or buff it? A good deal. It becomes harder to compare when you are talking about elemental infusions that rely on caster stats and disallow your weapon buff.

If you look at speedruns, you can see that the current favorite is a resined up raw Astora Straight Sword due to the high base damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF1wlJrh4Kc&t=1703s

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So are heavy/sharp/refined/chaos/dark all mutually exclusive, but you can still resin/buff the first three but not the latter two? I'm lost on all the upgrade paths...

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Meatsicle posted:

Ok so I guess I was wrong about the area invasion covenants. Something was changed with the last patch because on my new play through I get very sparse watchdog invasions, but if I use the orb in that area it's almost always instant. First play through I max'd the covenant in like 2 hours from the constant stream of invasions.

You might have leveled your weapon too high. PVP in this game is apparently based off of Soul Level and Weapon Level, so taking a weapon from +4 to +5 will (irrevocably) make it so you can't invade anyone with an =<+4 weapon. I noticed in my first playthrough a huge dropoff in PVP when I took my weapon to +10.

You can buff/resin Heavy/Sharp/Refined/Raw infusions because they're pure physical, but no others. There are a lot of tricks in this game and I can't wait for the english community to get a chance to really dig into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnlzFBOWWA

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm Apparently three optional bosses and the final boss from finishing. Spoiler is related : where the heck is the entrance to the graves / garden from Lothric? I'm gonna try scouring the place but I'm pretty bad about that. I'm amazed I found the FUGS location on my own. The prince Lothric fight loving ruled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

So are heavy/sharp/refined/chaos/dark all mutually exclusive, but you can still resin/buff the first three but not the latter two? I'm lost on all the upgrade paths...

Yes, a weapon can only have one upgrade path on it. You can only buff weapons that don't already scale with Intelligence or Faith. That means any of the magical upgrade paths can't use resin/buffs. This is also true of boss weapons, which can't be infused at all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'm Apparently three optional bosses and the final boss from finishing. Spoiler is related : where the heck is the entrance to the graves / garden from Lothric? I'm gonna try scouring the place but I'm pretty bad about that. I'm amazed I found the FUGS location on my own. The prince Lothric fight loving ruled.

You remember Ocerios, the Seath-looking guy with the invisible/imaginary baby in the garden outside Lothric Castle? Fake wall at the end of the corridor after his boss room. Hit it to open it.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Scrree posted:

You might have leveled your weapon too high. PVP in this game is apparently based off of Soul Level and Weapon Level, so taking a weapon from +4 to +5 will (irrevocably) make it so you can't invade anyone with an =<+4 weapon. I noticed in my first playthrough a huge dropoff in PVP when I took my weapon to +10.

You can buff/resin Heavy/Sharp/Refined/Raw infusions because they're pure physical, but no others. There are a lot of tricks in this game and I can't wait for the english community to get a chance to really dig into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnlzFBOWWA

Nah, it's +2 and I'm nowhere near over leveled for the swamp. Like I said, orb invasions are near instant while watchdog invasions are sparse.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

You remember Ocerios, the Seath-looking guy with the invisible/imaginary baby in the garden outside Lothric Castle? Fake wall at the end of the corridor after his boss room. Hit it to open it.

I don't!:whitewater:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ok well go to the dancer bonfire, go up the ladder, then go left instead of straight

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been avoiding both Souls Threads, but I just have one question I'd like answered from people who have played through the game. Is the patented Souls strategy of pumping str/endurance, and wielding a giant two handed blunt weapon still totally awesome/work really well?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I've been avoiding both Souls Threads, but I just have one question I'd like answered from people who have played through the game. Is the patented Souls strategy of pumping str/endurance, and wielding a giant two handed blunt weapon still totally awesome/work really well?

Yes, but you need to pump VIT (the weight stat) too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

ok well go to the dancer bonfire, go up the ladder, then go left instead of straight

Oh poo poo. Of course. I remember going there then turning back at one point for no reason. Probably cause I died. Thanks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Oh poo poo. Of course. I remember going there then turning back at one point for no reason. Probably cause I died. Thanks.

That zone is bullshit. Having to tango with black tendril men in toxic goo? I never even found the toxic cure item.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You could just run around them they don't hold aggro for very long

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Has anyone playing Xbone japanese successfully connected with anyone using the password system? sources online seem to indicate there should be no level range requirement, but me and my buddy who are separated by 25 or so levels are having no luck despite both seeing messages/bloodstains/being online.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

That zone is bullshit. Having to tango with black tendril men in toxic goo? I never even found the toxic cure item.

Try flame arrows

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Speaking of those black tendril things, was there any explanation for those things hidden away in item descriptions?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

AllisonByProxy posted:

Speaking of those black tendril things, was there any explanation for those things hidden away in item descriptions?

I hope we get a DLC where we go to the abyss to get some loving answers on these tendril eel weasels

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GodspeedSphere posted:

Try flame arrows

Yeah, I found out they were weak to fire after the fact. At least Great Fireball is accessible to everyone.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Killed the last the optional bosses completely trashed. Good times

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
What are the softcaps for dex/str? 40/40 as usual?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
ESRB says there's partial nudity in this game. Being born and raised in Europe I have to ask, where?

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

What are the softcaps for dex/str? 40/40 as usual?

From all those reddit spreadsheeters, yes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's no way they could be referring to the butt going through clothes glitch. Maybe the deprived starter gear?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

MrLonghair posted:

From all those reddit spreadsheeters, yes.

Is that still true for sharp infusion?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I think it might be the (actual real spoilers) corpse of quelaana that that refers to.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Website doesn't mention nudity

quote:

Content Descriptors: Blood, Violence

Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

Rating Summary: This is an action/role-playing game in which players assume the role of an undead character trying to rise through the ranks in the ancient land of Lothric. Players use swords, clubs, lances, and magic arrows to kill creatures (e.g., skeletons, demons, ghouls, zombies) in melee-style and ranged combat. Battles are highlighted by slashing sounds, cries of pain, and large splashes of blood. Some scenes depict characters impaled on swords or lying in large pools of blood. Players can also attack and kill non-combatant characters without penalty. Boss battles depict more prolonged combat, often with large-scale enemies.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Saw it on a retail case cover. With how much work you have to do to break a weapon in this I wonder why durability even is in. Savescummed a respec to try out the MLGS with 50 INT and it's just made shittier by breaking so soon. 75 durability and a held down R2 charge costs 4, L2 is free as long as you have free FP, a Simple/Crystal estoc has that beat the poo poo out of it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
"Kill non-combatant characters without penalty" my rear end, somebody hasn't accidentally hit Hawkwood early in the game!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Saw it on a retail case cover. With how much work you have to do to break a weapon in this I wonder why durability even is in. Savescummed a respec to try out the MLGS with 50 INT and it's just made shittier by breaking so soon. 75 durability and a held down R2 charge costs 4, L2 is free as long as you have free FP, a Simple/Crystal estoc has that beat the poo poo out of it.

Storm Ruler breaks real easy, as if it wasn't already terrible enough :smith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Winged Knight Halberd spinning is fun and effective for the moments of tons of mobs) and it seems to boost poise a little as it goes, 25 endurance gives 7 spins and the final one has an AE knockback on it.

Drawback is being a heavy 14kg mofo and that the you VS 999999999999 motherfuckers who'd summon even if they had to wait an hour PvP
e; seriouslyt 100% fuycking PVP against full loving squads of loving shitcocks this loving sucks when not even the top pyro build dualwielding FUGS with health and armour would have a chance. May the international release matchmaking give players who don't summon and summon then finger then summon some more every time they spawn, amen.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 6, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh boy after being reminded about how amazing side stepping is I'm gonna run a high FP high stamina knife guy

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrLonghair posted:

seriouslyt 100% fuycking PVP against full loving squads of loving shitcocks this loving sucks when not even the top pyro build dualwielding FUGS with health and armour would have a chance. May the international release matchmaking give players who don't summon and summon then finger then summon some more every time they spawn, amen.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is there a way to force-heal summoned NPC phantoms in this, aside from AOE healing miracles?

I'm sick of watching this robed sorcerer facetank this boss while smacking him ineffectively with his staff instead of casting spells and dying before the part of the right I actually want help with.

I miss being able to heal my buddies by chugging estus.

• Locked thread