Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's a weird idea and please, here me out: what if you just showed an episode every week instead of not for no reason.

OH MY GOD, Like, You know! I just can't even, because, like, YAH KNOW! It's just like, so, YAH KNOW! My Life is like, so, Inconvenienced, because, LIKE, YAH KNOW! Like, OH MY GOD! Yah, Know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Here's a weird idea and please, here me out: what if you just showed an episode every week instead of not for no reason.

Well, to be fair, the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship was tonight as well as several MLB opening day games.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

VendaGoat posted:

OH MY GOD, Like, You know! I just can't even, because, like, YAH KNOW! It's just like, so, YAH KNOW! My Life is like, so, Inconvenienced, because, LIKE, YAH KNOW! Like, OH MY GOD! Yah, Know!

IKR?!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VendaGoat posted:

On break.

Next three weeks. april 25th is the finale.

To clarify, they're off this week but they have episodes every week after this one through the 25th.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

No need to bring dear old dad into this.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

oh jay posted:

No need to bring dear old dad into this.

Ugh, WHY did you have to bring Him up?!?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

computer parts posted:

To clarify, they're off this week but they have episodes every week after this one through the 25th.

Oh, that makes more sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Well, to be fair, the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship was tonight as well as several MLB opening day games.

I don't wanna be fair I wanna be mad!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God damnit, I saw that there were new posts in the thread and stupidly thought there was a new episode. DUMB. Now what the gently caress am I supposed to watch?

edit: v I should clarify that I am not mad at anyone in the thread, I was just disappointed because I optimistically interpreted all the signs to mean I had more show to watch and then I was sad that I didn't :(

But it's okay, the new iZombie episode is up on hulu.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 6, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys sure did a good job tearing apart that guy who said he wished weekly episodes aired every week, and that other guy who said oh come on. Way to point out how super angry and reactionary those two out of control assholes were.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Snak posted:

God damnit, I saw that there were new posts in the thread and stupidly thought there was a new episode. DUMB. Now what the gently caress am I supposed to watch?

edit: v I should clarify that I am not mad at anyone in the thread, I was just disappointed because I optimistically interpreted all the signs to mean I had more show to watch and then I was sad that I didn't :(

But it's okay, the new iZombie episode is up on hulu.

The Magicians, it's a better show anyway.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Next thing you'll say is "I wish Fox aired episodes in order".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I watch both and have to agree with this statement.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Most idiot Americans don't recognize when they do this. h t h

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I'm still bitter about them swapping out doctors on Northern Exposure and then putting it on at random times so the show died.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Soon, Fox shows will be aired finale first, then work their way back to the pilots.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Deliberately, though----the advertising will hype it up, like, 'Can YOOOO figure out what made this happen?!?'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Astrofig posted:

Deliberately, though----the advertising will hype it up, like, 'Can YOOOO figure out what made this happen?!?'

Irreversible-style, but without the fire extinguisher murder or rape.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Magicians is garbage. It's aiming high and failing miserably. This show is aiming low but it's hitting the target.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Renewed!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

THERE IS A DEVIL! Praise the Devil!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Hail Satan, my dark lord and master!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The last episode really made me a bit sad for the loss of Father Frank. SOMEbody has to needle Lucifer about the biblical allusions, but it seems like the entire cast happens to be staunch atheists.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This is very good news. I don't know if I should be surprised by it, since I haven't been following the ratings at all, but I am, and it's good.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Holyshoot posted:

All hail The Dark Lord. Great to hear.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Hell yes, renewed! There are only going to be 13 episodes this season though. I'm wondering if the next season is also going to be a short-order or are they going a full 23-24 episode series or if it's going to come out in the fall, like Lucifer was originally intended.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm fine with 13-episode seasons. Honestly I find that most shows that drag seasons out over 20+ episodes tend to end up with a lot of filler to take up time. I'd rather a dozen quality episodes, thanks.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

I'm fine with 13-episode seasons. Honestly I find that most shows that drag seasons out over 20+ episodes tend to end up with a lot of filler to take up time. I'd rather a dozen quality episodes, thanks.

I've come to this conclusion as well, especially for shows that are oriented towards overarching plots or concept/theme type shows. Dumb procedurals like the CSI/Criminal Minds/Law&Order are fine doing 20+ episodes, but shows like Lucifer should stick to tighter stories told over a shorter season.

I think I've said it in TVIV before, but I'd like to see some shows that are created to only be a few short seasons long at most. Or even just some 13 episode mini series. Unfortunately, I doubt those things will happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TMMadman posted:

I've come to this conclusion as well, especially for shows that are oriented towards overarching plots or concept/theme type shows. Dumb procedurals like the CSI/Criminal Minds/Law&Order are fine doing 20+ episodes, but shows like Lucifer should stick to tighter stories told over a shorter season.

I think I've said it in TVIV before, but I'd like to see some shows that are created to only be a few short seasons long at most. Or even just some 13 episode mini series. Unfortunately, I doubt those things will happen.

A lot of shows have even reworked it so they have two mini arcs in a 22-ish episode season. Like Supernatural this season they unleashed another Ultimate Evil™, but the midseason finale involved them freeing their own version of Lucifer, which this latter half of the season is addressing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wanna watch this show. I'm a sucker for anything involving demons. I haven't used Hulu since its early days, is it still a good choice for watching TV online?

WarLocke posted:

This is more or less what anime studios realized, although sticking to 12-13 episodes is by austerity rather than by choice.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pollyanna posted:

I wanna watch this show. I'm a sucker for anything involving demons. I haven't used Hulu since its early days, is it still a good choice for watching TV online?

This is more or less what anime studios realized, although sticking to 12-13 episodes is by austerity rather than by choice.

I watch it on hulu, most of the early episodes are no longer free though and the commercials are sometimes just 30 seconds if you get an interactive ad.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Caught one episode then decided to binge watch the series. Really enjoying it and while I understand the police procedural framework is necessary to justify Lucifer and Decker spending time together it is also the weakest and most unbelievable aspect of a show about the devil walking among us.
A homicide investigator doesn't just bounce from case to case each week! Even after a confession Decker would have to spend weeks or months doing paperwork, putting together the crime scene evidence, witness testimony, preparing for and testifying in court.

Is there a theme to all the murders? Like, have they been running through the 7 Deadly Sins or violations of the 10 Commandments?

Getting that out of the way, this show is a lot of fun. The therapist is a great character, and seems to have become Ground Zero for all the otherworldly beings to confide in with their shared delusions. it would be nice to get a glimpse into her life outside the office.

Good news that the series has been renewed and hoping more of Lucifer's friends and enemies start showing up. And it would be interesting to see how people of other religions see Lucifer. Like, would a Hindu see or relate to him as a rakshasa?

toe knee hand posted:

A childhood friend of mine was pole dancing in the opening scene of the latest episode. So cool. I'm from Vancouver which has a big film industry so people and places I know are on TV fairly often, but it's kind of rare that they're in shows that I actually like!

What tipped me off to the location was a car chase scene and a second or two where they drove past a Cob's Bakery . "Hey wait that's gotta be :canada: !"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

A homicide investigator doesn't just bounce from case to case each week! Even after a confession Decker would have to spend weeks or months doing paperwork, putting together the crime scene evidence, witness testimony, preparing for and testifying in court.

Has that ever happened in any TV show ever?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Has that ever happened in any TV show ever?

Making A Murderer. OJ vs The People.

Yes I know a procedural isn't going to follow 1 case all the way through, but at the same time there's no real reason to have to wrap up a homicide each 47 minute episode. Like, an investigation could be drawn out for a few eps, half season or whatever and get deeper into the case while still moving Lucifer's story arc forward.
As others have said it's very cookie-cutter and cliche to have the suspects/perps run the usual gimmick gamut for a season: record producer, youth centre worker, antique/ rare art dealer, actress/model, sports star, chef, self-help guru etc.
Have we had The Professional Gambler episode yet?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

an investigation could be drawn out for a few eps, half season or whatever and get deeper into the case while still moving Lucifer's story arc forward.

That sounds terrible.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm ok with Hercule Poirot solving murders then moving on and if it's good enough for a Belgian it's good enough for the Devil.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

Making A Murderer. OJ vs The People.

:laffo:

I haven't seen either of those shows, but my understanding is that Making a Murderer is a documentary/investigative journalism type show. And OJ is a tell all type show about one of the most famous murders of the 90s. Neither of them are works of fiction.

You would have been better off going with the Law & Order shows, but that's because that stuff is the whole premise of them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm ok with Hercule Poirot solving murders then moving on and if it's good enough for a Belgian it's good enough for the Devil.

To be fair Detectives in England usually get 90 mins to 2 hours to solve their murders. And they only have to solve 3-4 of them a year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Better examples might be "The Fall' or "Bosch", but even those don't really get into the trial stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The most realistic police procedural is A Touch of Cloth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IRXKn9LSU

• Locked thread