Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Empress Theonora posted:

nice to see that we're just slinging around slurs for the roma here in the paradox thread i guess

Sorry, I laid it on too much. Gonna fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure Paradox can remove mods from the workshop for their games, I think Groogy has mentioned doing it for some CK2 mods in the past.

They definitely did it for a CK2 mod that made an explicit 'rape' diplomatic decision for imprisoned women characters. So I'm pretty sure Paradox would clamp down hard on any holocaust mods.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

The And You Are Lynching Negroes Project: This mod provides flavorful events for the American internment of Japanese-American citizens and segregation laws in the US, the Sétif massacre in French Algeria, the construction of camps in British Cyprus in the event of UK victory, and other crimes of the Allied powers. Why are you asking for similar events shaming players of Axis countries? This mod is specifically meant to show that the Allied countries were no angels themselves, I don't see what's wrong with that.

I want this unironically in order to highlight the lack of Axis warcrimes in the game.

Wait, I think that means I actually want it ironically.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

nice to see that we're just slinging around slurs for the roma here in the paradox thread i guess
Antiziganism is so popular among almost all groups in Europe, regardless of politics, ethnicity and any sorta sense, you either have to laugh or cry.

You haven't lived until you get the French-Algerian social democrat talking about "those gypsies" at the bar and just wallow in the thickest of ironies as he repeats the same points the white nationalist the next bar over might.

I forget though, did they completely cut out espionage/aggressive political shenanigans in HOI4?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I forget though, did they completely cut out espionage/aggressive political shenanigans in HOI4?

Yeah, a purpose-built espionage system is gone. I imagine there could be random events for espionage actions happening though.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

The Narrator posted:

Yeah, a purpose-built espionage system is gone. I imagine there could be random events for espionage actions happening though.

In WWW they hinted at the ability to coup governments, so maybe they've made it a decision based event or something.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The Narrator posted:

Clicking on other nations now seems to straight up show what focus they're working on, as well as some of the ministers/industries they've selected and political landscape. It also provides what looks like estimations of manpower, number of vehicles and ships and industrial power though I have no idea what factors into the accuracy of each figure you see. From the information we've got so far it looks like you need to have either recon units in the vicinity of the enemy to really see what's going on, and/or good encryption/decryption ability (determined by tech?) and maybe radar stations.

Don't mind the loss of espionage really, though if they could get it working in a fun way it'd be great to have back since it was kinda a big thing back then. In HOI3 it honestly seemed like your enemies had more influence over your country then you did and spies where just there to take up leadership points.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hinted at the ability to coup nations? They detailed it in a dev diary ages ago.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-34th-development-diary-20th-of-november-2015.891939/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

In WWW they hinted at the ability to coup governments, so maybe they've made it a decision based event or something.

They also hinted at this in the dev diary about civil wars and couping governments

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-34th-development-diary-20th-of-november-2015.891939/

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

It seems like every major has a potential Spanish civil war like event chain. I'm very excited about that, you can finally do a communist Germany game outside of that DH scenario that was kinda broken.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

sparatuvs posted:

It seems like every major has a potential Spanish civil war like event chain. I'm very excited about that, you can finally do a communist Germany game outside of that DH scenario that was kinda broken.

Theres a great DH mod that improves Communist Germany playthroughs. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/communist-germany-mod.613550/

Adds a bunch of event chains and stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Funky Valentine posted:

Better Germany mod

Carefully renamed as "Black ICE"

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AdjectiveNoun posted:

They definitely did it for a CK2 mod that made an explicit 'rape' diplomatic decision for imprisoned women characters. So I'm pretty sure Paradox would clamp down hard on any holocaust mods.

Yeah I've banned a couple of those. Boy did one of those developers throw a tantrum.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

Yeah I've banned a couple of those. Boy did one of those developers throw a tantrum.

Good. I'm very uncomfortable when I force abducted women to be concubines, but sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and click the button because the lady has a claim to the British throne.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I'm fine with people doing horrible things in CK2, but there should be some subtlety.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Genocide bad, purge good, pollutants must be removed!

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 6, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There should be an equivalent "Binge" button in Stellaris somewhere.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DrSunshine posted:

There should be an equivalent "Binge" button in Stellaris somewhere.

That'll be the play button in steam.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Improved Trotsky v2
Anime Axis Portraits
Malvine Islands are Argentinian
Zombie Lenin vs Zombie Theodore Roosevelt

expect me to make these mods for my trusted and beloved goons.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Pony War - This mod replaces all portraits with original characters fitting the My Little Pony universe, and edits all flavor text for leaders, ministers and research teams. Nukes have been renamed to "Friendship"

Anime Skies - All in-game airplane models are now Strike Witches. I have provided two versions of the mod, one with underwear and one without.

Fleet Girls - All in-game ship models are now moe anime girls. The sound effect for firing weapons has been replaced by various sexual noises.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
USA now has decision "Full Communism Now". :ussr:

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

popewiles posted:

I sincerely hope that the paradox devs have created a drinking game based on how butthurt they can make their fans based entirely on insignificant details with no bearing on gameplay whatsoever.

None designed that would allow a human to not die by alcoholpoisoning within 30 minutes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ill make a Soviet Union mod that makes all of its ministers dress like frat boys and change their names.

Broseph Sylin', hero of the Broviet union, who seized the means of Broduction for the Broletariat

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 6, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If Stalin is the head of the USSR, all ministers should be animated pictures of them dancing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I will make a mod in which bulgaria is a world superpower for 1500 years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I will make a mod in which bulgaria is a world superpower for 1500 years since the dawn of time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
So one nice BUT NOT A PROMISE IN ANY WAY thing that came from today's WWW was that they're going to try to get a few more custom national focus trees out by release for some smaller European nations like Hungary BUT NO PROMISES.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

pdxjohan posted:

None designed that would allow a human to not die by alcoholpoisoning within 30 minutes.

You underestimate what slavic ancestry plus being a programmer has done to my capacity for whiskey.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Dibujante posted:

You underestimate what slavic ancestry plus being a programmer has done to my capacity for whiskey.

You underestimate the Internet.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Dreylad posted:

So one nice BUT NOT A PROMISE IN ANY WAY thing that came from today's WWW was that they're going to try to get a few more custom national focus trees out by release for some smaller European nations like Hungary BUT NO PROMISES.

When did they say that? I didn't hear it

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tuskin38 posted:

When did they say that? I didn't hear it

It was near the end. He mentioned Hungary as an example, but emphasized this is in no way a promise or statement of intent, just a "we'll see if we can get this in there if there's time maybe"

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

EUIV just went on sale for 75% on Steam; should I get the "Extreme" edition or the collection with a crap ton of DLC?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BadOptics posted:

EUIV just went on sale for 75% on Steam; should I get the "Extreme" edition or the collection with a crap ton of DLC?

The Extreme Edition is fine, doesn't add anything major but it's only $1.25 extra. The "Europa Universalis IV Collection (Sept 2014)", on the other hand, is $15 more than the base game and contains three major DLCs: Conquest of Paradise (pretty good if you like random new worlds), Res Publica (meh), and Wealth of Nations (also meh). It also includes a bunch of music and unit packs which are nice but not important at all. I do not think this is a great way to get into the game, unless you want to be a completionist from the start.

So I would say get the base game or the Extreme Edition, then get Art of War, and optionally Common Sense, El Dorado, and/or Conquest of Paradise to round things out. You definitely can have a good time without a lot of the DLC.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm still quite excited for HoI4 and it is looking very good, but I can't say that I was very impressed with the AI Chinas in the World War Wednesday stream (now on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeliuhVoUoI). It basically collapsed in under two years in the face of a very underprepared Japan. Daniel threw in tons of island garrisons (infantry formations not equivalent to full divisions both in lower quality of equipment and because they have less sub-units) and kept attacking all along the front, seemingly constantly not pausing at all from one attack to the other with the same unit. It reminded me a lot of how quickly the USSR folded against Germany in the previous stream (a Germany that had a really mismanaged economy/OOB because it went through three different players who just did all sorts of random things). I think AI China shouldn't be able to just eat Manchuria, but by all means should be able to throw up enough low-tier infantry to at least hold the line against Japan, which shouldn't be pulling off encirclements in low-infrastructure bad-terrain provinces in 1936 using basically just the starting army. I hope this stuff is still more indicative of the fact that we are two whole months away and that their build kept changing from one video to another.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I must admit I've never really gotten into HoI3 so I am a bit confused about all this Holocaust talk, is the Holocaust just ignored in game? If not does it affect anything/can you as player opt out of it or something?

Or are there just the usual morons from the Paradox forum who want to press a button to start the holocaust because they unironically think it's cool?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

I must admit I've never really gotten into HoI3 so I am a bit confused about all this Holocaust talk, is the Holocaust just ignored in game? If not does it affect anything/can you as player opt out of it or something?

Or are there just the usual morons from the Paradox forum who want to press a button to start the holocaust because they unironically think it's cool?

Yes and yes. Crimes against humanity and war crimes in general are not represented and the Nazis don't like that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

There's plenty of people in Paradox forums that claim the ability of causing Holocaust and committing war atrocities is necessary for immersion. Incidentally, these people tend to defend Nazis, write rants how Allies totally were asking for it and communism was worse, very convincingly roleplay fascists or reactionary monarchists in forum games (and getting pissed OOC when their side loses) and use phrases such as "political correctness" or "cultural Marxism".

So yeah, probably giving them what they want wouldn't be a good idea.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Meanwhile, in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tahirovic posted:

never mind this post might lead to horrible things

yeah it's ignored

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dreylad posted:

On one hand, not modelling the Holocaust creates a game where the Nazi Reich's prominent politics of racial purity and creating living space for Germans aren't represented. Even though HoI4 is a game that focuses on war, the German army was definitely involved in those policies regardless of how much any wehraboo might argue otherwise. There's an argument that while those policies were important and has terrible consequences, WW2 was more about a war for resources, and the game chooses to focus on that particular aspect of the war which works well enough.

On the other hand, how do you as a game designer represent that Holocaust in the war game? What modifiers do you apply to the extermination of 12 million people? I'm sure people can (and certainly have in mods) tried, but that's a horrible thing to even consider even as you're creating a game about a war that killed tens of millions of other people. And if you include that one, what about Imperial Japan, or Soviet Russia and their atrocities? Events like the Trail of Tears in Victoria 2 are already pretty suspect, but trying to tackle something so awful as an industrial-scale genocide in a video game is something no sane person would want to touch.

You're pretty much stuck, and Paradox obviously realizes that adding it in would be a huge mistake and probably get the game banned in Germany anyway? Not sure about that.

Pretty sure the Rape of Nanking was actually in HoI2, possibly in 3 too? Not really sure why that one was seen as fine to let through though.