Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solumin posted:

Not in the base game, but there's a mod or two that add recycling buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zetsubou-san posted:

and colored concrete

i desperately need this, more than basic needs like food and clothing

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Node posted:

i desperately need this, more than basic needs like food and clothing

MODS! https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13907
Also gives colored lamps and trains.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Can somebody help me figure something out with combinators and circuit networks? Sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't want to go through the whole thread.

I want to set up certain production lines to only build exactly a certain number of things. I'm using the logistic and power packages from bob's mods, and the higher tier versions of stuff require an input of the lower tier things to build. Say I want to build a mk4 robot - I need to build 1 each of mk1, mk2, and mk3 robots, which means I also need to build 1 each of the different frames.

I've set up my robotics facility with a crude circuit network, such that I can order 500 top-tier logistics or construction robots with a constant signal, and the factory will build until I have 500 of each of the prerequisite robots and frames in the network, so I can just walk away and ignore it. This also means I always have a bunch of the low tier garbage sitting around in provider chests and it is driving me nuts.

Is there a way I can set up some combinators/circuit wizardry so I can input a signal at 500, and it will order each of the intermediate factories to build only 500 intermediate things, rather than building until there are 500 in the network, so I don't have a bunch of wasted stuff sitting around?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's mostly doable - the key part is a small integrator circuit that counts how many of something you've built. The basic idea is a counter wired up to a box, with a smart inserter putting in when the box is empty, and a fast inserter taking out. Every time an item passes through, the chest puts "1 (item)" into the circuit for one tick, which increments the counter. So you get a count of how many items you've produced.

So for every intermediate product, you add a counter on the output, and you do the same for your final product. Whenever you build the final product, you subtract the appropriate amount from the intermediate counters, so that they always represent "number of items in-flight". Then you have a circuit which counts number of items in-flight + number of final items sitting in storage, and compare that against the desired number to decide whether to run the machine or not.

I'll see about adding a diagram or something later, describing it via text isn't the greatest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have a train wreck of a WIPless production method in my post history in the thread but as we've established earlier today I am kind of bad at the finer points of circuits and use a lot of chests of tokens that you can avoid if you're going for full combinator glory.

There's some practical methods of production ordering without going too deep down the rabbit hole. To avoid going too deep down the rabbit hole, you'll need to live with manual ordering instead of chest inventory based. If you want zero throughout the system, you're stuck trying to decipher my strict accounting version. There's also some inbetween methods that will leave you with less intermediates before but not quite clean either.

I don't play Bob's mod but if I understand your explanation of the supply chain, you can key final tier bot production to an initial production pull of mk1 robots. You need 2^(y-2) mk1 bots for every mky. We can use that to our advantage by pulling and making 500*2^(y-2) mk1 bots at a crack. Or else just turn off mk1s when you have enough mkys.

Rough and dirty automation: You can do strict accounting on everything as it gets made and end up without anything in between. The half measure is to just tie your final inventory to your MK1 raw material feeds. Less WIP, but nowhere near perfect. You can probably tweak your initial constant setting to get it running as lean as you would want it if you don't mind a little dirt in between.

Set final inventory in constant combinator C. Start with 500, you can walk it down as you find out what WIP ends up meaning, or do the math to figure out a better setting from the start. Arithmetic combinator does the operation I-C. Tie it all back to your mk1 assembler raw material smart inserters. Set them to pull when your arithmetic result is <0.

Strict accounting half measure that can take advantage of the number of mk1 relation to final mky bots.

Here's a simple token based scheme to count down production from a target. You set T by dropping in garbage tokens in the quantity of your production target. Smart inserters handling inputs to the assembler are wired to this chest, and set to feed the assembler for tokens>0. The assembler passes the final product to a signalling chest D wired to the smart inserter taking tokens out of the count chest. That smart inserter is set for final product>0. It then passes the product into the logistics system through a provider chest. Maybe want to make it active because it will break if D has nowhere to dump the final product but I don't know the slots you are expecting to deal with for this venture. This is the basic step for the method Jabor is describing, tying it all together from beginning to end takes some logic work I don't want to diagram blind.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Staircase wit struck me going to bed, that the arithmetic and constant combinator aren't actually needed in the grungey example, you can just tie the final logistics provider chest of mky bots to the raw material inserters of mk1 bots and set it at the smart inserters. But it's still an option if you have a lot of smart inserters that would need settings changed if you want to adjust the final amount or just want to feel cool adjusting constant combinators.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This might amuse (though not surprise), posts about a WIP mod someone put up.

seronis posted:

Burner inserters are ESSENTIAL to allow your steam generators to maintain functionality when you accidentally overdraw the power supply. Mod is worthless without them.

Ratzap posted:

Worthless is a little strong but I'd definitely agree that keeping burner inserters would be advantageous.

seronis posted:

The mod is good otherwise. But anything that breaks the game isnt usable so I dont think it was too strong at all. Removing burner inserters is just about on par with removing belts or pipes.

Hyperventilating style over reaction on the internet, who'd have guessed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ratzap posted:

This might amuse (though not surprise), posts about a WIP mod someone put up.

Hyperventilating style over reaction on the internet, who'd have guessed.

Can I get a little more context on this?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

superoxen posted:

Can somebody help me figure something out with combinators and circuit networks? Sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't want to go through the whole thread.

I want to set up certain production lines to only build exactly a certain number of things. I'm using the logistic and power packages from bob's mods, and the higher tier versions of stuff require an input of the lower tier things to build. Say I want to build a mk4 robot - I need to build 1 each of mk1, mk2, and mk3 robots, which means I also need to build 1 each of the different frames.

I've set up my robotics facility with a crude circuit network, such that I can order 500 top-tier logistics or construction robots with a constant signal, and the factory will build until I have 500 of each of the prerequisite robots and frames in the network, so I can just walk away and ignore it. This also means I always have a bunch of the low tier garbage sitting around in provider chests and it is driving me nuts.

Is there a way I can set up some combinators/circuit wizardry so I can input a signal at 500, and it will order each of the intermediate factories to build only 500 intermediate things, rather than building until there are 500 in the network, so I don't have a bunch of wasted stuff sitting around?

set a smart inserter to pull from a low-tier assembler only when the system has less than the required number of high-tier items. there'll be some excess depending on ratios, but as soon as the 500th thing is in the logistic network, each link in the chain stops.

edit: i use a constant for a similar thing for my modules. set a signal (A=50) and the smart will pull if (thing)<A. hook each smart to the signal, but change the thing on each and I can walk away and come back when I need a fresh batch of modules. a second B=100 signal on the same wire I use for the modules I use a lot off.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

have a blinking lights setup - here it turns on when petro is below a certain point

the left group of three is a simple loop counter of period=60. the single decider next to the oil tank is what provides the signal to the counter, and the two deciders are set to output [GREEN=1] or [RED=1] if their condition (count<30 or count>29) is met. half the light are tied to GREEN, the other half to RED.

at the moment the blinking stops when petro goes above the threshold, but they don't go out. the next step is to fix that - i think a arth hooked between the final deciders and the lights should do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Run the counter constantly with a constant hot signal instead of the decider output. Sum the tank decider and the timer decider as an AND gate and set the lights to signal=2.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the new arth is set to [EACH]*(tank decider), output [EACH]

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
My friend and I just started playing this coop.

What's the best way to make a good coop map with challenging logistics and biters?

The random generator wasn't really giving anything logical. We either had nothing to start with or everything we would ever need. I want trains, dammit!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If you want to have to use trains, get the mod called RSO: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=13783

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zetsubou-san posted:

the new arth is set to [EACH]*(tank decider), output [EACH]
Behold my combinator efficiency. When all you've got is a summed channel, everything starts looking like and gates.

Wires could be cleaned up but :effort: for a practice implementation. Could probably be done with a single color if you're careful about when you take some of the combinator stuff to a wider network?

Simple timer circuit contained in a constant and decider. A decider reads the timer output and outputs timer state as 0 or 1 blue. * arithmetic scales the timer state to 2*blue give 3 unique system states later.

Made a fake gas storage out of a constant. Decider looks at level and outputs 1 blue for a low level. Sum the blue signals in the power line/in the lights. States when low gas: 1 blue turns half the lights on. 3 blue turns the other half on. State when high gas: 2 blue does nothing to the lights.

e.
Bonus cleaned up, wide area solution.

(blueprints are slightly cleaned up further compared to this screenshot, the central power pole is used in a more idiot proof way for mass pasting)

A home base timer circuit (blueprint) pipes out 0 or 2 across the wide plant red network.

Satellite alarm stations (bluerint can be placed wherever. The level to monitor is piped into the decider, where the breakpoint is set. The wide plant red is piped into the center power pole. The rest is magic, also circuits.

The adder combinator is actually just a crosstalk prevention gate. There may be a better way to do that, but still a decider and an arithmetic combinator is pretty low overhead to stamp around willy nilly.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 6, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

how does a timer made from a constant and a decider work?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stole it from the Friday Facts someone dug up a couple pages ago. You set two constants in the constant, lets say A=1 and B=cycles per period. You feed the constant into the decider input, the decider output into the decider input, and set the decider A<B=A. It then functions as a for A<B loop, incrementing every game tick until A=B at which point it short circuits back to A=1.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Solumin posted:

If you want to have to use trains, get the mod called RSO: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=13783

Thanks! This is perfect.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

my timer was prone to breaking when the decider input changed state (:shrug:) so I went for a simpler method:

the arth is [decider+chest=green] and the lights alternate [green=1] and [green=2]

edit: zedprime: just tried that timer, was easy to understand once I saw it work.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

Stole it from the Friday Facts someone dug up a couple pages ago. You set two constants in the constant, lets say A=1 and B=cycles per period. You feed the constant into the decider input, the decider output into the decider input, and set the decider A<B=A. It then functions as a for A<B loop, incrementing every game tick until A=B at which point it short circuits back to A=1.

That's the article I posted. I used it for examples to play with and while they show some 'stuff' they don't bother explaining any of it which made it a case of drop the parts on the floor and poke it till it works then figure out why. I still keep getting the inputs and outputs mixed up when I make things. The bar on the outputs is only well visible when it's horizontal.

Gibbo posted:

Can I get a little more context on this?

I wish I could provide it but that is literally the whole thing. The author posted an announcement and this guy turned up to slam it for removing the vital burner inserter. Thread is here

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I use the "input side has the two big lugs" method

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for the logic help, I'll work on it tonight and see how it goes.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Ok, maybe I'm just :downs: but how do I a) Find the current (steam ver) RSO mod thing, B) install mods, I tried dropping it in the factorio folder and in /mods, but neither works.

I just want to do RSO and tanker rail cars.

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 7, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Pound_Coin posted:

Ok, maybe I'm just :downs: but how do I a) Find the current (steam ver) RSO mod thing, B) install mods, I tried dropping it in the factorio folder and in /mods, but neither works.

I just want to do RSO and tanker rail cars.

The version I linked above should be current. It's worth enabling the "experimental" beta in Steam (right click -> properties -> Betas, I believe) in order to always have the most recent version of Factorio.

Mods go in %AppData%/Factorio/mods, assuming you're on Windows. (The non steam version used to make this more obvious by linking the mod folder inside the Factorio install folder, but I guess they had to stop doing that in Steam.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Also don't unzip mods. :eng101:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I unzipped the mods :downs:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Unzipping the mods is ok as long as you don't have the zip archive in the same folder, I think? Factorio gave me a duplicate mod error with RSO, which cleared itself up when I deleted the .zip.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The Bobs mods author replied to a guy yesterday who (like many others) criticized the god modules. In the version for 0.13 he's turning them off by default and making the remaining mods honour the 'productivity only with intermediates' thing. This is a good thing and he's hinted at other changes to come.
0.13 is really shaping up, roll on June.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Unzipping mods means you can tweak them more easily. And probably makes the game boot up faster. Nothing wrong with that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What other features do the developers want to add/flesh out for Factorio before it becomes version 1.0? I know they want to change how combat works.

Additionally, I wanted to make sure I have correct module usage down: Productivity if you have an abundance of input, Speed if you have an abundance of output (and room for output,) Efficiency if you want to reduce pollution and energy usage. Is that correct?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Their blog hints at stuff to come now and then. I'm looking forward to artillery turrets and the Spider Vehicle myself though if they're still doing the Space level stuff that'd be fun too.

They've also said 1.0 likely come after 0.14, so we're actually pretty close to a real release.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Node posted:

What other features do the developers want to add/flesh out for Factorio before it becomes version 1.0? I know they want to change how combat works.

Additionally, I wanted to make sure I have correct module usage down: Productivity if you have an abundance of input, Speed if you have an abundance of output (and room for output,) Efficiency if you want to reduce pollution and energy usage. Is that correct?

Productivity gives you free stuff but only on intermediate items like iron plates. Speed in the beacons, prod in the furnaces. They added surfaces so they can make a space section of the game for after you get the rockets going but how and what is still something they're working on. A lot of their future plans were on hold pending the steam release so they could see how much cash they'd have to play with. Since they had a bloody good launch, they will probably go away and make their plans a bit more elaborate (hope and speculation there).

Moddington posted:

Unzipping mods means you can tweak them more easily. And probably makes the game boot up faster. Nothing wrong with that.

One of the devs posted that they designed it to work with zips and that zips would be quicker. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ratzap posted:

One of the devs posted that they designed it to work with zips and that zips would be quicker. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Zip files are likely to be faster since they can just read the entire thing all at once instead of individually reading a billion tiny files. Decompressing stuff is fast compared with rummaging around the hard disk trying to find it in the first place, and even if it wasn't you could just make a zip file without any actual compression.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

The Bobs mods author replied to a guy yesterday who (like many others) criticized the god modules. In the version for 0.13 he's turning them off by default and making the remaining mods honour the 'productivity only with intermediates' thing. This is a good thing and he's hinted at other changes to come.
0.13 is really shaping up, roll on June.

the config module for bobs mod: (unzip the mod to the mod folder and edit the config.lua file in notepad, i've mostly edited out the code lines)

quote:

-- If set to true, the idle power drain will be removed from all Inserters.
-- If set to true, the idle power drain will be removed from all Laser Turrets.
-- If set to true, Ore acts like Oil in that it doesn't disapar, but mining speed slows as it depleats.
-- Sets the new player inventory size

-- Enemies mod
-- if set to true, Enemies will drop small versions of Alien Artifacts.
-- if set to true, New types of Alien Artifacts will drop.

-- Logistics mod
-- If set to true, long versions of Burner, Fast, Smart and Express inserters are added.
-- If set to true, Near (near side of standard belt) and Far (near side of long handed belt) inserters are added. Requires LongInserters to be true
-- If set to true, short in long out, and long in short out combinations of Near, Standard, Far and Long inserters are added. Requires LongInserters and NearInserters to be true.
-- If set to true, the Tier 5 "Extremely Fast Transport Belt" Tier of Belt, Splitter and Underground belt will be enabled, and able to be researched.

-- Mining mod

-- If set to true, new better mining axes are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable mining drills are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable large area mining drills are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable pumpjacks are available.

-- Modules mod

-- If enabled, then Merged modules and research are enabled. (This turns on all 3 types)
-- if enabled, then the specific merged module with be enabled. (turn them on individually)
-- If enabled, then God modules and research are enabled.
-- If enabled, Productivity modules suffer speed penalty. Raw productivity modules also cost Speed circuits.
(some stat tweaks)
-- If enabled, modules that effect productivity can only be used on Registered intermediates.
-- Warning: the game will delete any modules that do not match the limits

-- Ores mod

-- if set to true, Stone will apear in larger, richer vains.
-- if set to true, Gem ore fields will give the Unsorted Gems resource. If false will give each ore type.

-- These set the probability of extra items being given from certain resources.
-- if set to true, extra items are given from certain resources.
bobmods.config.ores.LeadGivesNickel = true
bobmods.config.ores.LeadNickelRatio = 0.75

-- if Nickel ore is disabled, but Lead gives Nickel is enabled, Galena will also give Cobalt ore.
bobmods.config.ores.NickelGivesCobalt = true
bobmods.config.ores.NickelCobaltRatio = 0.4

-- Diamonds can be obtained from mining Coal, Ruby, Saphire and Topaz from Bauxite, and Amethyst and Emerald from Quartz
-- These set the probability of each type of gem being given.

-- can turn on only. if they're turned on by another mod, they'll stay on.
-- if set to true, the listed ore fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
(ore field toggles for the ores)

-- Metals Chemicals and Intermediates mod
-- Reduce cost of Steel
-- Change recipe and research costs for the battery.

-- Warfare mod
-- if enabled you can research tank cannon improvements.

and what do people expect when something is called a "god module"? :downs:

i prefer to unzip the mods I've made tweaks to, makes it stand out from the bunch of zip files.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Node posted:

There's a roadmap but it only covers up through 0.13. I'm not sure there's an official features list for 1.0.

Productivity modules are for when you want to squeeze as much output as possible from limited input, at the cost of speed. They increase the number of items produced per input but the speed penalty means throughput isn't affected as strongly. They only work for products in the "intermediate" tab, such as purple science and oil refining. To use your terms, use productivity modules when you don't have an abundance of input.

Use speed modules when you have an abundance of input and room for more output. And then like you said, use efficiency modules to reduce pollution and electricity usage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you think about in terms of your space requirement, speed modules reduce the amount of space you need for multiple assemblers making the same thing, efficiency modules reduce the amount of space you need for solar power, and productivity modules reduce the amount of expansion you need to do finding more resources. Typically productivity modules are best used on things that are built quickly and use a lot of resources - one productivity module 3 in an electric furnace smelting iron gives you ~ 1 "free" iron every 20 seconds, while the same module in an iron gear assembler gives you two "free" iron (in the form of an iron gear) every 4.7 seconds.

Annoyingly, once you start putting productivity modules into things they mess up all your perfectly calculated ratios and you have to re-do everything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
To be honest, the only modules I use in any great number are efficiency modules. I slap those into all my electric furnaces. Occasionally I'll use a productivity module in my purple science factory, and of course you need speed modules in your pump jacks once they've run dry.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't forget that modules in Assembler 2s (or god forbid 1s) are cute but upgrading your assembler infrastructure to 3 universally is probably a more immediately useful step except in some edge cases.

Because I forgot that for a while and it is kind of embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

i usually put productivity modules in purple science, the circuits, or oil-to-gas cracking

strangely, in my current RSO/SCE/bobs game where the lab complex is a 11 or 22 mouth hungry beast that yearns for more EVERYTHING - not one prod module used.

recently: hooked up cracking and solid production up so one is prioritized over the other depending on petro reserves. (a constant, two deciders, and two sets of two mults)

currently: getting a medium power pole chain set up, because bobs tier 4 pole works as a replacement for a standard substation, so I can stamp out a good mining blueprint and still be able to walk perpendicular to the belts to ease dumping modules in every miner.

to-do - get bobs alien science set up, get tungsten processing set up, get gem mining/processing set set up, same for silver, go nuke bases to feed the alien science beast (will use prodmods here for sure). might even explore tanks and rocketry...