Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Wrestling is stupid and people who watch and claim to be in on the joke are fooling themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with watching it, I just assume cowherd says like 15 things more offensive than that every day

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You can like wrestling and Star Wars all you want, but those are two things that ESPN doesn't need to go near but of course do so anyway in the name of the almighty dollar

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
ESPN is owned by the people that own Star Wars.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure Cowheard once said he doesn't like scripted entertainment. Like, any fictional work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm pretty sure Cowheard once said he doesn't like scripted entertainment. Like, any fictional work.

that basically makes him one of those assholes who can't tell enough people about how they don't have a TV

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

CaptainYesterday posted:

Then how does he watch the NBA?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

DJExile posted:

that basically makes him one of those assholes who can't tell enough people about how they don't have a TV

Not really, I don't get into a lot of fictional work, but I still watch plenty of TV. Cowherd is just a piece of poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ungratek posted:

Wrestling is stupid and people who watch and claim to be in on the joke are fooling themselves

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with watching it, I just assume cowherd says like 15 things more offensive than that every day

ah! You'd be correct on that assertion!

I try to avoid him, and pretty much ESPN as a whole purposely. (save for live sporting events). Just found his sneering outrage over this and his attempts to straw man wrestling fans really bizarre.

I realize it "worked" in getting us to waste oxygen talking about him. That being said? I'm really wondering how much longer this whole "shock jock/hot take" thing is going to go. Like I don't even think Jim Rome does that sort of thing any more.

e: Like if he's really going to go on this spiel about putting "Childish things" behind one's self and living a "richer" life, would that not include sports as a whole?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 5, 2016

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
This is like when people got mad at Dana White for calling wrestling fake.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I realize it "worked" in getting us to waste oxygen talking about him. That being said? I'm really wondering how much longer this whole "shock jock/hot take" thing is going to go. Like I don't even think Jim Rome does that sort of thing any more.

Yeah the era of the shock jock is definitely dying. You're always going to have it to some degree, gotta get callers somehow, but it's definitely dying off. The wacky morning DJ, the "I'm just asking questions!" political and sports jocks, all the talking heads on TV... I don't know if they'll ever fully vanish but they're definitely receding as the personalities and shows themselves largely become punchlines more than anything.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

In the NFL N/V thread but worth posting here: http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/05/twitter-will-stream-nfl-thursday-night-football-games/

quote:

The NFL is coming to Twitter according to Bloomberg. It was reported this morning that Twitter won the bidding for NFL Thursday Night Football games. The social media site beat Verizon, Yahoo!, Amazon and Facebook for the online rights.

As Bloomberg points out, this is the NFL’s way to reach cord-cutters. On top of that, selling ads around NFL games could be a valuable way for Twitter to actually make money without implementing some insane pay-to-tweet system.

What unholy sum did Twitter pay to beat out Amazon AND Verizon.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nantz gonna Nantz

Jim Nantz forced Ryan Arcidiacono to take his tie in the worst Final Four tradition

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha the reactions of the people behind him are great

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

commy gun posted:

In the NFL N/V thread but worth posting here: http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/05/twitter-will-stream-nfl-thursday-night-football-games/

What unholy sum did Twitter pay to beat out Amazon AND Verizon.

$10m so they can stream the same Thursday games NBC / CBS are showing (for a combined $450m).

Supposedly they turned down a $15m bid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

$10m so they can stream the same Thursday games NBC / CBS are showing (for a combined $450m).

Supposedly they turned down a $15m bid.

I think that was Facebook. I remember negotiations there either broke down, or FB revoked their bid.
E: Ah, that was apparently specific to the London games:

Deadspin, via Bloomberg posted:

Facebook has retracted its bid to host live streams of NFL games this upcoming season, according to a Bloomberg report. That’s less than a month after the company confirmed it was attempting to partner with the league on a deal to stream the Thursday Night Football package.

Bloomberg’s source told the outlet Facebook balked at the NFL’s advertising requirements—Facebook prefers its streams to be ad-free—and an apparent tie-in to stream the early-morning London regular season games. Yahoo! had previously paid $17m for the right to broadcast last season’s 9:30 a.m. ET game. The NFL plans on live-streaming all three 2016 London games, but it won’t be with Facebook.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Interacting with Jim Nantz must be like being smothered by the very concept of whiteness.

Also he was loving awful calling that game. Just imagine Gus Johnson or Kevin Harlan calling those last two shots instead of him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Interacting with Jim Nantz must be like being smothered by the very concept of whiteness.

Also he was loving awful calling that game. Just imagine Gus Johnson or Kevin Harlan calling those last two shots instead of him.

Remember the time that Jim Many called the PGA to complain about a Toger rules violation at a Masters he was commentating?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Remember the time that Jim Many called the PGA to complain about a Toger rules violation at a Masters he was commentating?

Yeah that was just a year or two ago if memory serves.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't really understand why Twitter is paying for NFL games. Figured Amazon was the logical choice if they could make it a Prime only offering (don't think the NFL wants that though). Or maybe YouTube who is trying to add higher quality content to their ranks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/717197241451159552

would you settle for Sean McDonough?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I don't really understand why Twitter is paying for NFL games. Figured Amazon was the logical choice if they could make it a Prime only offering (don't think the NFL wants that though). Or maybe YouTube who is trying to add higher quality content to their ranks.

Same reason everyone but Facebook wants the NFL: selling ads at the highest rates possible since the NFL hits every demo but especially 18-35 males.

Facebook wants an ad-free stream for some reason, which is too bad because football through the Oculus Rift would be really cool for about 10-15 minutes or so.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Same reason everyone but Facebook wants the NFL: selling ads at the highest rates possible since the NFL hits every demo but especially 18-35 males.

Facebook wants an ad-free stream for some reason, which is too bad because football through the Oculus Rift would be really cool for about 10-15 minutes or so.

They will never make back in ad revenue what they are spending for the streaming rights.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
This Schefter Greg Hardy poo poo is so stupid.

SCHEFTER: "I went in with the idea that this guy is a monster. I came out of there with a very different feeling. I came out of there feeling this is a guy who has managed to say the wrong things at the wrong time."

Pretty sure people are pissed because of what he did not what he said.....

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A very underrated sports broadcasting moment from this week:

On MLB Opening Day whoever the SportsCenter anchor was responded to a Bryce Harper home run with "There hasn't been a man from Washington to light up Atlanta like this since General Sherman!"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FuzzySkinner posted:

ah! You'd be correct on that assertion!

I try to avoid him, and pretty much ESPN as a whole purposely. (save for live sporting events). Just found his sneering outrage over this and his attempts to straw man wrestling fans really bizarre.

e: Like if he's really going to go on this spiel about putting "Childish things" behind one's self and living a "richer" life, would that not include sports as a whole?

Colin Cowherd made fun of self serious wrestling fans and it worked.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Crazy Ted posted:

A very underrated sports broadcasting moment from this week:

On MLB Opening Day whoever the SportsCenter anchor was responded to a Bryce Harper home run with "There hasn't been a man from Washington to light up Atlanta like this since General Sherman!"

Honestly, I feel like the Atlanta/burnt/Sherman jokes are overused. It seems to pop up every time an Atlanta team loses at something.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Who cares.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BasicFunk posted:

Honestly, I feel like the Atlanta/burnt/Sherman jokes are overused. It seems to pop up every time an Atlanta team loses at something.

The Atlanta Flames ruled

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bomani Jones went on TV this morning with a parody Cleveland Indians style shirt that said 'Caucasians' instead of Indians and a bunch of people are flipping out on Twitter. People are dumb.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bomani Jones went on TV this morning with a parody Cleveland Indians style shirt that said 'Caucasians' instead of Indians and a bunch of people are flipping out on Twitter. People are dumb.

Most of what I saw was people thinking the shirt was amazing, but I follow a bunch of goons and other really cool people so it's to be expected. The shirt was loving awesome.

I fully expect ESPN to suspend or fire him for it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

haha

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bomani Jones loving owns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can buy it here

http://www.shelflifeclothing.com/shirtpages/caucasians.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean it's spot-on but you just know idiots are going to complain and he may get suspended. Happened to Keith Law when he put Curt Schilling in his place last year

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

He's not sniping at a co-worker so he's fine

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The response has pretty much been from idiots, "I'm white and not offended, therefore Native Americans should just get over it"

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That reminds me very much of the fake hats the NCAI made coming at it the other way a few years ago.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/racism-of-sports-logos-put-into-context-by-american-indian-group/

http://www.ncai.org/resources/ncai-publications/Ending_the_Legacy_of_Racism.pdf

Not knowing the National Congress of American Indians put those out made googling for this incredibly dangerous waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:vince: