Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Once you realize thorgy has her ears on upside down, you can't stop staring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Millie posted:

More and more I think that Ru has a thing for leggy young models and her "I don't give a gently caress!" comment before making a decision makes me wonder if the producers were pulling for Betty to stay.

yeah I thought that comment was really weird.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Apparently according to reddit both Dax and Naysha brought kimonos for the runway as well. Laila brought 3 different selections ... one of them being a kimono.

Also I like Naomi. She seems like a sweetheart.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

That was my question, too. Unless you're born in 1987, how is Kimono Madonna the iconic Madonna you think of? My mind would have immediately gone to Express Yourself Madonna or Blond Ambition Madonna or even black leather & chiffon Madonna. I didn't see a single goddamn drawn-on mole that entire runway.

Maybe I'm just old.

All those Nothing Really Matters looks? Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong. Yes, I spent all of this morning listening to Immaculate Collection. Which is older than several queens. :smith:

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Kim Chi's was from the Paradise (Not For Me) vid which I didn't know existed previously and is very cool. So I guess that discovery is the silver lining of this disappointing ep.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seconding everyone's disappointment with the runway looks. How can you gently caress a Madonna theme up?

Related note, anyone watch the latest Fashion Photo Ruview (web series in whichRaja and Raven critique the runway looks)? Raja is usually the nice one, but she's a huge Madonna fan. I've never seen her so pissed off before.

Well worth a watch.

Deathlove posted:

All those Nothing Really Matters looks? Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong. Yes, I spent all of this morning listening to Immaculate Collection. Which is older than several queens. :smith:

You're not out of touch. Too many queens don't respect the classics.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 6, 2016

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

The average contestant was born ~1986 so this probably did imprint on a lot of adolescent dragbaby minds

It's not hard to imagine why half the contestants went there. Madonna looks great in it, the song is good and relatively off the beaten path of her most iconic looks. I don't think I've ever seen it used IRL for a Madonna homage.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

The average contestant was born ~1986 so this probably did imprint on a lot of adolescent dragbaby minds

It's not hard to imagine why half the contestants went there. Madonna looks great in it, the song is good and relatively off the beaten path of her most iconic looks. I don't think I've ever seen it used IRL for a Madonna homage.

Maybe but the queens can see each other in the workroom right? You'd think some of them would have thought "oh poo poo look at all these kimonos! I'd better change".

Chi Chi's wasn't great but the fact it wasn't a kimono makes me look at it more fondly than I should.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Cynthia could've done this version of Madonna:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Every time I wonder why one repetitious queen keeps being safe, like Naomi Smalls or Derrick Barry, I'm reminded of the fact that the show's best season for talent, Season 6, had Darienne Lake in the final four. So it's nothing new.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Yeah, that was what I figured with the kimono looks. I would've been around the same age when the Vogue / cone bra came along. Even then, that was so iconic and obvious that I would've been inclined to go somewhere else. I liked that Betty went with Bedtime Story (I legit gave a little cheer when I saw her look), and Bob pulled one that I hadn't ever seen.

But really, regardless of age, there are dozens upon dozens of looks you could've gone with Madonna and half go with the same thing? :psyduck:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

One thing is for certain is that choosing Madonna from her role in the Dick Tracy movie would be a surefire elimination. Nobody wants to be reminded of her time spent loving gross old Warren Beatty.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

One thing is for certain is that choosing Madonna from her role in the Dick Tracy movie would be a surefire elimination. Nobody wants to be reminded of her time spent loving gross old Warren Beatty.

Warren Beatty does :smith:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It seems like you could go with Frozen or something, that was around the same time as Nothing Really Matters and it was a very draggable look - you get a cape, drag queens love capes. Black feathers! Weird hand shapes!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Nyeehg posted:

You're not out of touch. Too many queens don't respect the classics.

Huh, I thought Deathlove was making fun of me for wanting older Madonna. Now I feel better!

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

criscodisco posted:

Huh, I thought Deathlove was making fun of me for wanting older Madonna. Now I feel better!

Robbie could have just come out in a Hung Up look, wearing rollerskates again.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Cynthia could've done this version of Madonna:

Dammit, now I want to see this so bad...

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I'm surprised Michelle hasn't gotten on Robbie's case for putting the same makeup out there week after week.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
I was CACKLING by the time Derrick came out in her kimono and didn't stop until after Naomi left the runway. What a mess that runway was.

Also I'm conflicted about Betty's elimination. I wasn't rooting for her or anything, but she had a stronger record than Naomi who seems very middle of the pack by now; on the other hand, she did better than Betty on the lip sync, so I guess it was a fair decision.

That was a terrible song choice. They should've done a bigger hit, something like Like a Prayer so they can showcase some variety in their performance. Or a ballad! We haven't had a slow number in a while. I would've died if they'd done Live to Tell or Take a Bow.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Programmable Soda posted:

That was a terrible song choice. They should've done a bigger hit, something like Like a Prayer so they can showcase some variety in their performance. Or a ballad! We haven't had a slow number in a while. I would've died if they'd done Live to Tell or Take a Bow.

Maybe it was too much money?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
What a weird show. I don't know how Snatch Game felt so short, it ended and I was just like what, how was that it?? Thorgy's MJ was alright but didn't really make me laugh, I'm glad Michelle Visage didn't give him poo poo for it being a man. Bob was easily the funniest but I did get what they meant by showboating, although, c'mon, nobody else was trying to get attention or make jokes, so I'll take funny showboating over whatever the other contestants were doing.

I'm pissed that Naomi somehow beat Acid when Acid is consistently turning out awesome fresh looks every week, and hasn't been doing badly in challenges either (until Snatch Game). I honestly don't think Acid Betty had the issue that perhaps Max or Milk had where they couldn't get out of their own style to present something different. I just think he failed Snatch Game. Naomi did win the lip sync but not by enough to make her interesting. I don't dislike her, I think she's gorgeous and seems nice but I cannot say I'm excited to see what she's going to bring to the show every week and I could absolutely say that about Acid Betty.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was hoping that Betty had a baby doll hidden under there and at the end of the song when she was "going into labor" she would have pulled it out. I don't know if that could have saved her but I was still hoping for it.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was expecting Acid to abort the baby, chuck it offstage and start dancing up a storm.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The only thing I can say for Naomi staying that as far as I can tell she doesn't make excuses the way some queens a decade her senior do, or at least that's what the edit seems to show. At 21 she's far and away more polished and has a better attitude than some, but she absolutely needs to diversify. I'm surprised we haven't gotten at least one Michelle read or Mama Ru werkroom chat about pushing out of a comfort zone. I guess the decision really did come down to the lip synch, but I still wonder if Betty's bitter moments influenced it as well. I still need to watch Untucked tho.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

oh no no no no no nooooooooooooooooooo

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I've just re-watched Episiode 1 and 2 and there was basically nothing from Dax at all.

I've not had time to read the whole thread, I caught up the last couple of episodes when I wanted to see y'all getting mad at Naysha's return, so I apologize if you've already mentioned - we don't get RPDR on TV the UK so I can't watch live and come straight here!

There was no mention that she knew Violet, barely any boy-interviews and commentary and she seemed SO PISSED to be kicked off.

I just find it weird that there was a double eviction out of nowhere and Naysha is hastily returned. Could it have been Dax that spoke shite about Ru and got canned?

Also, I do a RuPaulish manicure each week, and Cynthia Lee Fontaine not only liked and commented on my photo, but bloody followed me on instagram too! Way too exciting, I woke up to that and it was the best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The only thing I can say for Naomi staying that as far as I can tell she doesn't make excuses the way some queens a decade her senior do, or at least that's what the edit seems to show. At 21 she's far and away more polished and has a better attitude than some, but she absolutely needs to diversify.
There was that one moment in Untucked where Robbie took her aside and talked to her about the robes - if this was any previous season, that would have been a read and would have caused a shitstorm of drama, but Robbie was obviously giving friendly advice and Naomi clearly heard what was being said, it was a real heart-warming moment.

I think she even said something like "Oh poo poo, and I have three more robes!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Programmable Soda posted:

I was CACKLING by the time Derrick came out in her kimono and didn't stop until after Naomi left the runway. What a mess that runway was.

Also I'm conflicted about Betty's elimination. I wasn't rooting for her or anything, but she had a stronger record than Naomi who seems very middle of the pack by now; on the other hand, she did better than Betty on the lip sync, so I guess it was a fair decision.

I'm honestly glad they didn't do Take a Bow, just because I got to see Sharon perform that live and it was loving amazing and I know I would've been disappointed with the performances

Flyinglemur posted:

I was hoping that Betty had a baby doll hidden under there and at the end of the song when she was "going into labor" she would have pulled it out. I don't know if that could have saved her but I was still hoping for it.

I was really disappointed in Betty for not having some kind of tear away with another outfit underneath. It also just kinda speaks to her arrogance, because she should've been expecting to lip sync after that snatch game performance

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

big black turnout posted:

I was really disappointed in Betty for not having some kind of tear away with another outfit underneath. It also just kinda speaks to her arrogance, because she should've been expecting to lip sync after that snatch game performance

Ever since I learned that Violet had tearaways and tricks ready to go every week my sympathy for queens has diminished. You gotta be so dang prepared that they cannot send you home without rioting in the streets no matter how they edit the lipsync.

...although ugh Betty I miss you so much :smith:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
She woulda won if she pulled a baby out her cooch at the end

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

big black turnout posted:

Even though I knew from here that she was going home, as soon as Ru said that Betty would be lip syncing, I knew she was done because that dress was impossible to dance in. I loved it, but if you know you called the challenge you need to come prepared.

As happy as everyone is to see talented queens after last season, I've been rather underwhelmed. I know they have the talent and the looks, but Ru has thrown them some amazing opportunities to shine and they've disappointed every time. I'm sure previous season queens would have killed for I Will Survive or a Madonna runway challenge.

It would be like Ru giving them a John Waters theme and everyone showing up as Tab Hunter.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thorgy's apparently spilled the T at her RPDR viewing party that the producers strongly encouraged her to keep her kimono look (and that she now wishes she had switched to her Plan B Madonna look as she intended).

Still no excuses because you gotta have the Nerve to buck producer trickery, but that helps explain that remarkable coincidence somewhat.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
At the same time, since everyone knows that regardless of what the judges say, it's the producers who pull the strings at elimination time, so I can see being extremely reticent to piss them off.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Between the promise of this cast, the bad Snatch Game, and horrendous runway, I think this might be the most disappointing episode of Drag Race yet. Not worst, necessarily... just disappointing.

I am a straight male I can list off no fewer than ten iconic Madonna looks that I could suggest before the loving kimonopalooza.
* Blonde Ambition. I recognize Chi Chi doing it, and for making it work in only 6 hours, but it should have been a first option, not a 'holy poo poo' option.
* Suit from Vogue
* Transparent top from Vogue
* Any one of the other outfits from Vogue
* Her movie roles (Robbie gets huge props for going this route), Evita and Dick Tracy in particular.
* Ray of Light
* Frozen
* Erotica
* 1984 VMAs
* 2003 VMAs, DERRICK.
* poo poo, the outfit she wore on Bandstand when she said she was going to rule the world.

I don't think Drag Race has ever made me angry, let alone this angry.

I went back to watch Season 2's Snatch Game and as much as I love Bob, Pandora's Carol Channing was a little better. But Tatianna's Britney was VASTLY better than Derrick's. I think the issue might be, Derrick impersonates Britney, whereas Chad Michaels embodies Cher. She sees what Cher is about and both adores and lampoons everything, whereas with Derrick it's simply robotic, an equation, filling in the variables without any care for what they mean.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 7, 2016

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Golbez posted:

* Her movie roles (Thorgy gets huge props for going this route), Evita and Dick Tracy in particular.

(It was Robbie Turner though!)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

DominoDancing posted:

(It was Robbie Turner though!)

drat it, literally as I was editing. :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There's a lot of talent this season but the editing and producer fuckery seems really obvious and heavy-handed.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Well, they did say they're going back to their roots

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm legit annoyed that no one showed love for the Justify My Love video. I thought that look was iconic, and this just went over everyone's head. Shame to these girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

CHiRAL posted:

Well, they did say they're going back to their roots

All they need to do now is cram a dozen klieg lights under the judge's desk so that the only features left are their lips and hair.

• Locked thread