Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Finished work for the day... scanned the daily posts... looks like CIG can even gently caress up going extinct.

You genius crypto nerds please figure out the EightAce code so we get some real news up in here - thanks!

EDIT: <cat pic>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Can Solar Plebeian use this for a ground map?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Parpman's Plateau

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What's with the sprinkles?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

did it ELE yet????

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i had a busy day at work what's the scuttlebutt?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Skellybones posted:

Lol if Toops downloads 3d builder (free) then he can do whatever the heck he wants, I can't get the export to work but i'm sure he could figure it out,it's good fun, especially on craggy faces.

Edit : my answer is hell yes!

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
StarCitizen 2.3 is live

= Sniper Rifle added to a Cryengine game

CR is taking PC gaming to the next level

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

orcinus posted:

What's with the sprinkles?
I think that's the fidelity leaking out of the ship.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ash1138 posted:

i had a busy day at work what's the scuttlebutt?
Nothing tangible, really.

Derek is uncharacteristically silent on Twitter and here.

Beer is needling Sandi on Twitter about their whitewash of Donutgate on YouTube. (It's still in their Twitch archive, for the moment.)

AtV was predictably awkward and boring. But the discussion of the upcoming in-game stores got a great deal of attention during the Austin segment.

They showed a Star Marine running on a PG planet that wasn't really. It's working in-engine, which means crap all for when it might see release. SataBall, Star Marine, Jump Gates, PG landings -- half the real action is in the in-engine footage that gets thrown away or quietly buried.

Otherwise steady state. ELE remains unconfirmed but Derek promises we will see signs soon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can someone post the terrifying geography of Ben's face images again. I miss them

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

Morbid thought: Chris and Sandi are hoping Ben eats himself to death because that's the only way they can get new coverage that's sympathetic.

The Hull G Memorial Freighter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ELE is Microsoft buying the whole shebang and turning it into a Quantum Break - like 'event'

Gotta do something to keep that money in offshore accounts - those high class gangbangs don't pay for themselves!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

This looks exactly like some nameless rocky world in ED but with a commando instead of a buggy and a fog effect added.

E: actually it looks worse cause there's no terrain texture and the shadows flicker

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
hey friends, how goes it. i havent logged into the 'verse in a while, whats the scoop?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

orcinus posted:

Depends on what you mean by "photoshop effects".
It's converted from RAW, using Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw (not sure which anymore, can't remember - amounts to same, really).

It's not an in-camera JPEG.
No one sane shoots in-camera JPEGs.

I know absolutely nothing about photography outside of jpegs being lovely quality. What i meant was, was the picture taken and then just converted without running it through filters for that effect minus converting to a jpeg?

The picture just looks incredible. I love the way the colors pop on it, especially when i looked at it with my S7 edge's super amoled screen. I wish i could photography :(

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my guess is, another boring space corridor that i could clip through

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can someone post the terrifying geography of Ben's face images again. I miss them

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

im the guy who's hoping this staircase leads my dreams, a finished game

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That's pretty.......................

bad

:edit:

I thought they spent literal months and years on making the ships take actual damage states etc etc, and it just ends up looking like a static picture being drilled into with sparks out the other side lol

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 8, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

holy poo poo those effects!

(are terrible)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Skellybones posted:

Yes.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

caught up with the thread!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thank you friend. They are to me a treasure

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Beet Wagon posted:

caught up with the thread!

Can we get a gif of the dogge playing with a hitlerbaby?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

grimcreaper posted:

I know absolutely nothing about photography outside of jpegs being lovely quality. What i meant was, was the picture taken and then just converted without running it through filters for that effect minus converting to a jpeg?

The picture just looks incredible. I love the way the colors pop on it, especially when i looked at it with my S7 edge's super amoled screen. I wish i could photography :(

jpegs use a lossy compression algorithm (although you can run it as a loss less), meaning that it will add artifacts to an image. Halo and ringing effects, most people would not really see them and as such its fine for most people who just shoot photo's on your phone or even just for fun. But if you are going to do any post effects or editing you don't want those artifacts, if you are going to print really large formats you don't want to have them either. Because most random images a person will take will contain a "messy" random pattern those artifacts are "hidden". Jpegs are really bad at high frequency transitions, for instance text on a page, going from white to black is high frequency content and as such jpegs really screw them up. But in any case unless you are a pro/simi pro photographer, or you are going to do image processing on the image jpegs are just fine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

VealCutlet posted:

Yes but it'll have to wait until Monday. I'm not making a special trip to work just to get the hitlerbaby lol.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Actually can you do one with these?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/325209/birds-why-waiting-is-good/p6

figures

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes but it'll have to wait until Monday. I'm not making a special trip to work just to get the hitlerbaby lol.

Good man! Great Dogge (no offence)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

jpegs use a lossy compression algorithm (although you can run it as a loss less), meaning that it will add artifacts to an image. Halo and ringing effects, most people would not really see them and as such its fine for most people who just shoot photo's on your phone or even just for fun. But if you are going to do any post effects or editing you don't want those artifacts, if you are going to print really large formats you don't want to have them either. Because most random images a person will take will contain a "messy" random pattern those artifacts are "hidden". Jpegs are really bad at high frequency transitions, for instance text on a page, going from white to black is high frequency content and as such jpegs really screw them up. But in any case unless you are a pro/simi pro photographer, or you are going to do image processing on the image jpegs are just fine.

For example this is a very lossy image:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Karl really hasn't been the same ever since they were probated/banned from /r/DerekSmart.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Differo Cathedra posted:

I recognize Sandi, who in the hell are these other losers?

6 dudes, dana scully, and some brunette

Nov 3, 2015

Skellybones posted:

For example this is a very lossy image:

:cripes:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

1500 posted:

So that's a yes, then?

Nov 3, 2015

Good Dumplings posted:

So that's a yes, then?

no, it just depends on what you are doing and how you use it. Most quality cameras are not compressing the data that much, so depending on the content of the image you are talking, you will not even see the compression artifacts introduced. If you don't shot jpeg you will be shooting in raw (its not really raw, but meh stupid companies), this means that you will not have any lighting effects or compensations, producing a lesser visual quality image unless you spend the time in an image editor to adjust the light spectrum. Something that most people will not want to do, and some times its just not worth doing.

Edit: if you move past cameras and into the world of the PC, then you are better off saving in PNG (one of the better lossless image compression algorithms), so that you do not introduce even more artifacts into the image you are messing with. Just try saving a jpeg (as a jpeg) over and over again, and it will look like really crap over time (unless you have it set up to be loss less jpeg)

1500 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 8, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

VealCutlet posted:

I second this motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

... the gently caress? I read through the whole of that page and two things struck me:
1) That had nothing to do with what was being discussed.
2) More worryingly, no one responded to it. Are they that used to the nutbar randomly spouting about chemtrails that it doesn't even register any more?

• Locked thread