Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Until today, I don't understand the need (other than Sandi's Marketing expertise) to compare and contrast Elite and Star Citizen the way it is being done today. BF4 and COD kinda live in harmony, why can't Star Citizen and ED?

Wait.

Star Citizen isn't a game.

Comparison is moot. Elite wins.

Archive this reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I suspect that EightAce wanted us to solve the puzzle when he posted it, but that that desire drained from him along with the tequila. Also my coworker got a tracking number so trying E:D in vr soon. :toot:

e:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Please don't ignore this everyone i'm proud of it

Jabba-the-hutt-laugh.gif

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

Derek, 8Ace and ATXSperg,

I got a reply recently from support and I am seeing a new banner called Foundry 42 Customer Support.

so are they going to ditch Clown Imperium Games as their main company and treat Foundry 42 as their main?

Please read:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=2718#post458012278

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Yo if you know the secret just post it so we can lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

The response to the movie pitch even has the potential for comedy...

"Look, this is all a little cartoony, our viewers tend to like real world stories..."

"But sir, it's an accurate retelling of events without embellishment or satire."

"... Even the bit where the man in charge is confounded on multiple occasions by his own game crashing?!"

"Yep, here's the clips on youtube..."

It just dawned on me that Hollywood would gladly make a movie destroying Roberts based on the SC drama. Costner would likely bankroll it.

Who would play Sandi?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

orcinus posted:

There are no filters, no, but conversion from RAW to JPEG implies adjusting things like white balance, hue, contrast, dynamic range, sharpness, saturation etc.
So no, it's not what you'd get if you were to just click Save. That would be equal to just saving to JPEG in camera.

RAW is RAW. Raw data from the imaging unit, containing more colour information and dynamic range than a JPEG would or could.
During conversion from RAW, you filter, remap and scale that data until you get what you want, what it looked like to your eyes, or what you think it should look like.

Think of it like this:
- let's say camera records the colour red as spanning the range from 0-1000 throughout the pixels of a particular image
- let's say most of the image depicts Ben's face, and it's average value of redness is 250
- if you remap the red values, so what used to be range 0-250 now spans 0-750, while what used to be 250-1000 now spans 750-1000, Ben's face will become way way redder than it used to be

Is that a "filter effect" or photo manipulation? Yes, sure it is. It's a contrast curve. And any JPEG photo you get out of a camera has one already applied to it. Heck, even developing a strip of film and developing positives from it has its own contrast curve (mapping function).

In other words, defining what is and what isn't "running through filters" or photo manipulation is a very tricky thing.
Apart from the image hitting your retina directly, EVERYTHING runs through SOME kind of a filter. Heck, even your retina and brain apply contrast, saturation etc. corrections to things you see around you all the time. Don't believe me? Put on some old-fashioned anaglyph red/blue (3D) glasses on, walk around in the sun for a while, come back inside, take the glasses off, then stare at a blank piece of white paper with one eye, then try the other eye. You'll see the paper appears cyan-tinted with one eye and red-tinted with the other.

I love the info I get in this thread. Thanks guys! This truly is the most awesome thread on SA

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Could we just agree that Star Citizen nerds are worse that any other type of nerds?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Tippis posted:

“Fun” is so subjective as to to be almost useless. I would say that flying spaceships in E:D is very satisfying. It feels (and looks like) you're flying a space ship. It really nails the weight and inertia of the different sizes: a small speedy ship feels nimble and you can zip about and spin and boost to your heart's content; a huge murderdeathbarge feels like you're flying a small moon, and those darn rebels keep evading your turbo lasers (ok, they're not that large, but the feeling is much the same). The flight model for normal flight is essentially one of Newtonian motion — you thrust and rotate along and around three axes, but it has an assisted mode that applies the proper counter-forces to stop you from rotating endlessly or to fly in whatever direction you point the ship. No fancy individual thrusters — just a simple box with six degrees of freedom.

They also absolutely nailed the sound design — your ship creaks and groans as you put stress on it in sharp manoeuvres; the engines have appropriate punch for the size of the ship and your throttle input; the in-game UI has all kinds of satisfying, informative, yet unobtrusive feedback sounds. As discussed a couple of hundred pages back, they also have this really intricate set of sensor sounds that let you (indeed, force you to) navigate planets by sound alone, and also let you “pre-explore” the map by listening to the sounds various celestial bodies make.

As for what you do… it's the standard space sim fare: you shoot stuff, you collect stuff, you sell stuff, you go look at stuff, you mess with interstellar politics. All of these can be done in a number of different ways (do you figure out your own trade route or do you do trading missions? Do you trade legal goods or do you smuggle? Do you go short-hop but large volume or trade singular rare/valuable items over huge distances? etc etc). None of it is overly complex, which is why it has a reputation of being an inch deep, but there's enough variety in execution to let you find something that suits you.

Yes, it is good.

a 'no' would have sufficed

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It just dawned on me that Hollywood would gladly make a movie destroying Roberts based on the SC drama. Costner would likely bankroll it.

Who would play Sandi?

Doug jones, or johnny depp as sandi, Zach galifinakis as chris and ben....and lando.....

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Carrot Top.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

See if Jim Henson's estate still has blueprints from The Dark Crystal?

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Ponzi posted:

Could we just agree that Star Citizen nerds are worse that any other type of nerds?

They are the worst kind that tripples every second.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Maya Rudolph

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

you mean this?

D_Smart posted:

....Derek's blah blah blah

Ahead of that, the planned down-sizing and scaling back is coming. And by the time the dust settles, both Austin and LA will cease to exist as "studios" because everything will be transitioned to Foundry 42 in the UK where all bets have now been placed. Nobody knows yet how far back Foundry42 Germany will be scaled back. But that's coming.

They're hosed. The End.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

a 'no' would have sufficed

It would also have been wrong.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Sandi would be played by Whoopi Goldberg

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Since we're sharing electricity stories:

My friend and I used to play a game of sorts, where we'd pigtail a lamp cord and plug it in with one person holding each lead, and then we'd high-five to complete the circuit, and the first person who let go lost.

Well, many, many, MANY moons ago, I was helping a friend put together a pirate radio station. He was a profession radio engineer, but he got kinda of busy, so we outsourced some kitbashing to another engineer friend. We stopped by to see our new FM exciter. Now, keeping in mind this guy was a general electronics guru that did general electronics repair, I bend over to look more closely at the controls on the front of the exciter. Little did I know that, on a low shelf beneath his workbench, right near the edge of the shelf behind me, was a CRT he had been working on that had been recently energized.

At this point, you MIGHT want to Google "flyback transformer" and to also note that in many CRTs, flyback transformers
A] Need a fair bit of time to allow any residual current to dissipate once energized and
B] were often mounted to the top of the picture tube.

All of a sudden (or so I was told) there was a loud pop and I apparently froze in place for a bit. A few seconds later, I gazed dazedly at a tiny plume of smoke coming out of the tip of my right index finger (which is the first thing I remember). At this point, both the engineer and my friend are frantically asking me if I am okay. Muddily, I manage to respond that I am, in fact, not dead.

So, apparently, I took a high voltage shock directly to one rear end cheek, causing smoke to come out of my fingat.

And, before you ask, I recovered a few minutes later and never got actual medical attention.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Please don't ignore this everyone i'm proud of it

That's pretty good.

I'm gonna go ahead and Ryan Archer you here and say I made that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

Last version came out in 2010, I think, and all these images of face-terrain reminded me of that old gem.
For real. Now I can't unsee it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Thandie Newton
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628601/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Sandi, obviously.

There's no way she wouldn't desperately LEAP at the chance to play herself in a feature film, and that combined with her poo poo-tier acting would make it the ultimate comeuppance. Maybe she'd even win a Razzie.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Your dog is the most :3: on the entire internet

Better give him a hug from me

Seconded, but also, please is to throw in some meat, in my name.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Someone take the Gary face, turn it into a CryEngine level, and show a video mocking what CIG is doing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uh... I don't get it.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

FrankieGoes posted:

I have an A7R and it's pretty fabulous but I am a lovely photographer.

Sony A77 is excellent if you want a full body camera. These days not that expensive, and all the nice Japanese Minolta AF lenses still work. Plus Zeiss.

Also, as far as eightace is concerned, Premium membership required.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone take the Gary face, turn it into a CryEngine level, and show a video mocking what CIG is doing.

I approve of this. It would put a new twist on the whole eyeball to orbit thing, if nothing else.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Seconded, but also, please is to throw in some meat, in my name.

Tonight for dinner he got his standard meal - a chicken drummy, a chunk of breast meat, and a "meat muffin", which is ground beef mixed with egg, bone meal, and salmon oil (so named because I freeze them in muffin tins to portion them out).

Pup gets his meat, don't you worry.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tippis posted:

That's also a very good question. The only explanation that makes sense to me is the last one: rather than modelling entire planet surfaces in detail and store them on disk, they could let an algorithm spit it out as needed at the detail level, visual range, and yet with the consistency and variation required for the particular scene. They'd then clamp that generation down in certain areas to blend in with the pre-built landing zones.

But as mentioned, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that this is what they're actually doing and that this is the problem they're supposedly trying to solve, so who knows.

Yeah, thinking about it more since my last post and realising that they've already defined their planets means I don't know what the gently caress they're actually saying. It seems like their only use for procedural tech would be defining placement of trees, features, points of interest etc. which would make sense since they can't do that poo poo by hand for millions of square kilometers.

It's just a bit confusing as that's not what they're actually showing. :confused:

Also, :lol: when poorly done procedural landscapes come crashing up against Crobbert's *fidelity* barometer should be fun.

Crobberts: Those trees are in the wrong place, move them.
Poor Dev Slave: It's procedural sir, the computer chooses where they go.
Crobberts: I don't care, move them. And go through the other 500 planets and make sure none of them have trees in dumb places either!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sunswipe posted:

Uh... I don't get it.

Uncle D has autism and no concept of humour

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jesus Derek, what did Thandie Newton ever do to you to make you say such a horrible thing about her?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

dreams. dreams happen now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Really, the only person in Hollywood who can play Sandi is Rob Schneider.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TTerrible posted:

:laffo:^infinity at the donut evidence being deleted.

Star Citizen - Look at beets fucken dog. Look at him.

I can't.

The nice doctors told me no more abductions....

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I hear bad things are happening to Goons in Eve. Should I bother subbing my accounts to evacuate poo poo out of Dek in case I ever feel like returning or is it not that bad? Alternatively I guess, is it a war so good that I should actually log in and play for a bit?

E. WTF? I could have sworn I switched threads. Oh well, this post is here now. Please advise shitizens.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Rhonda Mitra - her Squadron 42 cast mate...

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Pulling single frames out of video almost always results in hilarity

I am seriously jealous at how awesome your dog is - really makes me want to get an australian shepard. I've been showing my girlfriend all the pics/vids you've posted of him, and she's pretty much on board with getting one now :3:

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Sunswipe posted:

See if Jim Henson's estate still has blueprints from The Dark Crystal?

The Chamberlain does look like her, doesn't he?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Rhonda Mitra - her Squadron 42 cast mate...

Sandi might just be her stunt double :v:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

I hear bad things are happening to Goons in Eve. Should I bother subbing my accounts to evacuate poo poo out of Dek in case I ever feel like returning or is it not that bad? Alternatively I guess, is it a war so good that I should actually log in and play for a bit?

E. WTF? I could have sworn I switched threads. Oh well, this post is here now. Please advise shitizens.

I never played eve but I've been reading the thread for it because it's funny. The goon war strat seems to be to not try to fight in the hope everyone gets bored and goes away and it's going as well as you'd think it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

I can't decide between Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson.

• Locked thread