Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow, I didn't see that in any of my searches on Amazon. It looks pretty ideal except for the lack of a LCD screen (which is probably a plus except for the initial setup).

Is heat a problem with these? On Amazon people seemed to be going to great extremes to cool the camera off (adding heat sinks and reflective materials).

Mine survived a Texas summer on my windshield with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I"m using that a118 linked above with the capacitor. It lives on my windshield in Los Angeles and I don't touch it. Seems to be doing fine. Set it and forget it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Cool then. I'll get the Mobius. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: and yes, the capacitor too.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 8, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Don't forget to get the capacitor for it, the battery won't last very long in the heat. Mine only lasted a few months. The capacitor is cheap and pretty much necessary.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow, I didn't see that in any of my searches on Amazon. It looks pretty ideal except for the lack of a LCD screen (which is probably a plus except for the initial setup).

Is heat a problem with these? On Amazon people seemed to be going to great extremes to cool the camera off (adding heat sinks and reflective materials).

Someone wrote a nifty app that lets you do the setup via PC. It's pretty easy... I don't think the lack of an LCD screen is a detriment at all.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Deadspin's deal of the day is a Rexing V6 2.7" for $50. Is this a good deal?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

Deadspin's deal of the day is a Rexing V6 2.7" for $50. Is this a good deal?
It's out of stock

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So I'm still shopping for a camera, and this seem to be the winner in my (sub 100) price range... Except I don't see a way to mount it on a bike helmet. It'll be in the car, 90% of the time. But I'd still prefffer to have video evidence on a bike trip, when some mouthbreather eventually merges into me because "sorry, bro, didn't see you". Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Get a different camera? Mount it on a bike windscreen instead? Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK8B47W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&coliid=IFPA3WOCO2Q3C

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
A Mobius is about the same price and is a fantastic camera. If you get a mobius you should get the Super Capacitor for it as well. Mine has been working great for about a year now with no problems other than the battery dying (repalaced with a super capacitor).

Do you mean a bicycle or motorcycle?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Biscuit Joiner posted:

A Mobius is about the same price and is a fantastic camera. If you get a mobius you should get the Super Capacitor for it as well. Mine has been working great for about a year now with no problems other than the battery dying (repalaced with a super capacitor).

Do you mean a bicycle or motorcycle?

Motorcycle, but the mounting function is the same as a bicycle, handlebar clamp or helmet. The camera you linked would work great on a helmet with that adhesive Velcro pad. But can it stay put at 90 mph? Also, how does it mount on a car's windshield? Or do I need to velcro it to the flat part of my dash?

Also, is there a function to turn the lens 90°? Because on a bike helmet it'll likely get mounted on the side

Edit: i found all the mounting answers on dashcamtalk.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 18, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought the Mobius and a supercap and it's been working great. I need to try and boost the resolution because license plates aren't readable at night with 720. Hopefully 1080p makes a difference.

The Mobius with a C2 lens, plus the supercap, and the mounting bracket cost $100 total and is stupid easy to use.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Also, is there a function to turn the lens 90°? Because on a bike helmet it'll likely get mounted on the side
There is.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, but some local action for Dallas goons. Starts off slow but the payoff is... impressive:
Note, the video annotations claim this is a fatality accident, no visible gore but just FYI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QA4eNvGGI

Buzzed Driving = Drunk Driving :tinsley:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That is way more than buzzed.

"Buzzed" driving after a beer is when you're hyper-attentive and careful to compensate for the fact that you've had a beer. "Buzzed" driving is when you're barely aware of having drank anything at all.

When you actually feel buzzed, you're actually just drunk and it's just drunk driving.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

Not mine, but some local action for Dallas goons. Starts off slow but the payoff is... impressive:
Note, the video annotations claim this is a fatality accident, no visible gore but just FYI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QA4eNvGGI

Buzzed Driving = Drunk Driving :tinsley:

Was that a cop on the right shoulder that jumped over to the left side before the truck hit the car?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He wasn't on the right shoulder, he was in the same lane as the filming car. But yeah, it was a cop. He flips on the lights prior to turning.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

A few fairly boring videos from today and Friday.

Be careful going around those corners folks, you can never know what's going to be in the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3Pck1DvTE

Not sure what the hell this guy was thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1akQ54X2s

Dude just really likes to dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_V5VDgbRLE

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

He wasn't on the right shoulder, he was in the same lane as the filming car. But yeah, it was a cop. He flips on the lights prior to turning.

Yeah there was already an overturned car in the far left lane, that's why other cars were stopped in the road. Drunky McSwerveton couldn't tell the difference between moving and stationary taillights and plowed into a car that had stopped to help block the flipped-over car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't remember if it was in this thread or the sharing road with thread that I brought up "volvodashcam". Anyway, he got hit in his shiny new car and I don't really feel bad for him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbvx4vyY6w

Even if he isn't at fault, he could have avoided it if he didn't drive the way he does.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not my video, not involved with it in any way, just saw it linked on another board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwytIfwhjM

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Pay close attention to where the ladder on that pickup ends up. Holy poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ugh, why did i read the comments on that link

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shere posted:

Yikes. That might be the scariest part and I didn't even notice it.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

http://i.imgur.com/bn17TXi.mp4

To her credit, she had a pretty darn good reaction time.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MiniFoo posted:

http://i.imgur.com/bn17TXi.mp4

To her credit, she had a pretty darn good reaction time.

It's funny, too, that had the guy just stood still, he wouldn't have been brained by that sign. But, then again, standing still with a car moving towards you is a pretty dumb thing to do.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Country roads in Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQYRen_MIA&feature=youtu.be

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Craptacular posted:

Not my video, not involved with it in any way, just saw it linked on another board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwytIfwhjM

When I did 911 in Denver I was astounded by the high number of rollovers. I used to joke that a Denver driver could get into a rollover just going through a McDonalds drive thru. Dispatching in L.A. I never encountered this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare: Holy crap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
like a boss

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Saw an accident earlier this evening...

(fair warning, actual accident happened JUST out of frame... so you might not want to invest ~30-60 seconds just to hear the impact + see a crumped Saturn)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FeD08hOW4

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Shere posted:

:fork:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shere posted:

I like how all the bystanders sprint past that car to go check on the guy in the truck who (I think?) caused the whole mess by trying to pass in an intersection.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

I like how all the bystanders sprint past that car to go check on the guy in the truck who (I think?) caused the whole mess by trying to pass in an intersection.

The car filming tried to switch lanes without looking, but realized there was traffic in the way. But she moved over far enough that the car over there swerved to avoid her, which caused the truck in the next lane to swerve and everything went to hell.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Godholio posted:

The car filming tried to switch lanes without looking, but realized there was traffic in the way. But she moved over far enough that the car over there swerved to avoid her, which caused the truck in the next lane to swerve and everything went to hell.

Yeah, for once they youtube comments are actually on to something. The uploader insists that his wife that was the driver of the car filming didn't cause the accident. But from what the video shows it's kinda of hard to believe to she didn't. But it could be that as she was switching lanes, the black car swerved out to pass the truck on the right (which isn't impossible).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RussianDallas close calls compilation :ughh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cql40lmRI1I

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I used to complain about CA drivers, then I moved to Dallas. And I am not even allowed to lanesplit here, which makes it even worse.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

I was not surprised, all of the areas I recognized in that video have that kind of stuff happening all the time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People running lights and cutting other cars off didn't phase me, but swerving around a stopped car to drive over a crosswalk WHILE people were walking across was pretty :stare: Was that one at UTA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, for once they youtube comments are actually on to something. The uploader insists that his wife that was the driver of the car filming didn't cause the accident. But from what the video shows it's kinda of hard to believe to she didn't. But it could be that as she was switching lanes, the black car swerved out to pass the truck on the right (which isn't impossible).

It sure seemed like that black car was going fast enough at the time it swerved that it never had any intention of stopping for traffic and was banking on being able to seamlessly merge into the left lane. At the time it actually touched the truck it's like 10 feet behind the taxi. Best case scenario black car is guilty of the same no-signal merge the driver tried to accomplish, but without noticing there was a car in the next lane and staying in their own lane with enough space to stop like the driver did.

I've been guilty a couple times of starting a merge with someone in my blind spot, but whether I notice they're there before I actually get over or they have to honk to make me realize (fuckin' smart fortwo cars are so tiny) I never instigate a merge where the consequence of it being unsuccessful is I slam into the car in front of me in my lane because I was going too fast and they're stopping.