Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Rondette posted:

I would if I could, looks like the UK cinema release date was back in December, and I can't find any sort of DVD release date. I would pay to watch this film. :(

It looks like the Discovery channel will be showing it April 18th, it will probably be easy to find after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

cyberia posted:

Something she mentioned was when she was climbing Kilimanjaro her water bottles froze when she was summiting. How do people handle that on Everest?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Re: Green Boots - the body isn't there any more; it may have been recovered or may not. See http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151008-the-graveyard-in-the-clouds-everests-200-dead-bodies

quote:

That enclave, located at about 8,500m high and sheltered from the wind, is a popular resting point for climbers on their way back from the summit, who may sit down there to catch their breath or have a snack. “It’s pretty grisly that they named that cave after him,” says amateur mountaineer Bill Burke, the only person to have climbed the highest mountain on every continent after age 60. “It’s really become a landmark on the north side.”
Can't even make a bad parody of Everest climbers. The most exaggerated fictional characters would just be the literal truth.

Still sad about the 2013 Ueli Steck incident. That was like the worst actual thing to happen these past few years. Real alpinists doing an alpinist style climb and instead they get some bullshit from some sherpas they wanted nothing to do with. I understand there are only 2 routes up and surely they got in the sherpas way but still, they are the only climbers aside from sherpas that really should be summiting everest. Heaven forfade someone should climb before the hired sherpas fix lines for the rest of the dullards. Also I just like Ueli Steck and hate to see a cheery bright-eyed guy like that get downed by something he totally didn't deserve.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The one place the accounts all agree is that Steck's team was composed of grade A assholes, I guess you take what you can get when real alpinists are the genetic oddities that they are. So some caustic westerners were an easy target, but the more notable thing is that there is an undercurrent of sherpas getting super pissed about their situation getting paid peanuts to manage the revolving door of rich westerners. It should be interesting if 2 missed seasons has just made them desperate for that westerner cash, or else more pissed.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I wish I could astral project myself onto everest during climbing season to laugh at people as they die.

Hey, can we small UAV drones to fly up the mountain yet with ease? I'd imagine they might freeze :(. It would be great to be able to pilot one up and just have comedy music playing as people drop dead.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

I wish I could astral project myself onto everest during climbing season to laugh at people as they die.

Hey, can we small UAV drones to fly up the mountain yet with ease? I'd imagine they might freeze :(. It would be great to be able to pilot one up and just have comedy music playing as people drop dead.

It would be hilarious to have a drone follow these idiots, playing "Another One Bites The Dust" as they succumb to a completely avoidable and pointless death.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just load up the usual suspects of counterstrike .wav files

Nelson haha

Sad clown horn

Wilhelm scream

Terran firebat Academy scream

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

JFairfax posted:

I like a nice cup of tea

I wonder if its even possible to make a nice cup of tea up there. At base camp water boils at 180F (82C), and by camp 4, its down to 166F (74.5C). Nobody is trying to bake a cake up there or anything, but I bet not being able to heat water beyond "really hot kitchen faucet" temperatures must gently caress up or complicate the brewing of decent tea or coffee. And you'd only have a couple minutes to get it down the hatch.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

You mean Ahhh! Real Monsters end of Intro scream :colbert:

And don't forget The Price Is Right losing horns

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Sanctum posted:

Still sad about the 2013 Ueli Steck incident.

Shouldn'ta been kicking snow onto men at work in deathly peril, I guess! Honestly, if some tory shithead came to bother me at work I'd be pissed off too, and I'm not even in danger while I do it. It's not like they even got the beatdown they were asking for, anyway.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Just load up the usual suspects of counterstrike .wav files

Nelson haha

Sad clown horn

Wilhelm scream

"HUMILIATION!"

And if we get a really nice avalanche:

"M-M-M-MONSTER KILL! "

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

zedprime posted:

The one place the accounts all agree is that Steck's team was composed of grade A assholes, I guess you take what you can get when real alpinists are the genetic oddities that they are. So some caustic westerners were an easy target, but the more notable thing is that there is an undercurrent of sherpas getting super pissed about their situation getting paid peanuts to manage the revolving door of rich westerners. It should be interesting if 2 missed seasons has just made them desperate for that westerner cash, or else more pissed.

Steck by all accounts seems like a nice person, partnering up with a sherpa without an expedition for his Everest summit without oxygen etc. He mentioned that this was one of the things that hurt him the most, that guy was in the mob and didn't seem to him to be trying to help defuse the situation. Moro might be a bit of a personality (he was the one swearing during the incident) but he also pilots his own helicopter to rescue people in the Himalayas and has abandoned climbs to aid rescues. I don't know much about Griffith. What do you base your opinion on?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syd Midnight posted:

I wonder if its even possible to make a nice cup of tea up there. At base camp water boils at 180F (82C), and by camp 4, its down to 166F (74.5C). Nobody is trying to bake a cake up there or anything, but I bet not being able to heat water beyond "really hot kitchen faucet" temperatures must gently caress up or complicate the brewing of decent tea or coffee. And you'd only have a couple minutes to get it down the hatch.

Those temperatures are fine for green tea.

Alternatively, use a pressure vessel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bensa posted:

Steck by all accounts seems like a nice person, partnering up with a sherpa without an expedition for his Everest summit without oxygen etc. He mentioned that this was one of the things that hurt him the most, that guy was in the mob and didn't seem to him to be trying to help defuse the situation. Moro might be a bit of a personality (he was the one swearing during the incident) but he also pilots his own helicopter to rescue people in the Himalayas and has abandoned climbs to aid rescues. I don't know much about Griffith. What do you base your opinion on?
Both accounts reek of bullshit. but reading between the lines Steck's doesn't even try to hide his business like demeanor (which is a good thing for climbing mountains, except in the same account he either claims to understand or pretends to understand the recent tensions within the Sherpa community, at which point maybe make it a point to tiptoe) or Moro's temper. Like I know a guy who would move the world for friends, family, and coworkers, but put him next to a similarly hardheaded stranger in an abnormal, high stress situation and there's going to be a fistfight. So as great a guy he is 95% of the time, I can't even claim he isn't an rear end in a top hat when he ends up in those 5% problem situations.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
We need the seinfeld music too when they tell a person they have to turn back or they'll die from not having enough o2 tanks.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Moro thought it would be appropriate to greet the Sherpas with words that mean pretty much "I hosed your mother". They kind of disagreed, due to their cultural upbringing, and that was when the violence started. I am surprised he got out of it alive.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
We can have the drones dump buckets of slime on those who make it to the top and then they can take a piece of everest home with them too

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Needs more confetti shooting and boulders crashing down.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The mountain needs speakers at appropriate intervals playing Eye of the Tiger ad. infinitum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

e: And muffled booms every time a tribute is lost.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 9, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
is a carabiner gently caress up related to Everest enough to warrant posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZFh-bcCfwQ

look in the bot left

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

brb gotta go pull my rear end out of itself

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
He flew like that for two hours :psyduck:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey thread, so a couple of weeks ago, one of the various military support organizations showed the movie Everest here in Djibouti, and Chris Klinke and Tonya Riggs came to talk after the film as guest speakers afterwards.

I actually got to spend a lot of time bullshitting about Everest and poo poo with both of them. It was actually pretty loving cool; I work in satellite communications and Chris was actually pretty curious about some of the things that I knew. Apparently, communications are terrible in mountains -- who knew?! He talked about how his ordeal with his satphone on K2 in 2008, and he was relieved to find out there were simple tools they can use/purchase to make communicating on the mountains a lot better.

Tonya was very talkative and we enjoyed a long talk about parallels in soldiers who seek multiple deployments and mountain junkies. She was very down to earth when she got out of her "talking like a Toastmaster" voice. The most interesting point for me when talking to her was her genuine regret about seeing dead people on the mountain -- her expedition summited the same year David Sharp and a poo poo load of other climbers died on the NE side, and three Sherpas died in an avalanche on the Nepal side. She said that she tried not to think about it then, especially as her expedition when right by David Sharp's frozen popsicle-rear end, and that she felt regret about that aspect of that. She said when she turned around and started working down, knowing she was passing people who may have died that week, it was her primary motivation to keep going, but she doesn't like talking about that in the paid speeches she gives. I guess "I want to trudge on sheerly to not be a hike-sicle," doesn't sell well to middle managers.

I felt like I learned a lot about their mental state, at least talking to them in person. They seemed to light up talking about climbing and the unparalleled solitude one experiences in remote locations, especially when one can see stars in broad daylight, and realize their walking above where planes fly. I didn't feel as callous as I do about some climbers, as both of them were genuinely in love with the challenge and the beauty of it; Tonya was part of a sophomoric, yet greater gesture, and she had turned down another climb when she realized all the money in the world wouldn't walk you up Annapurna; and in the case of Chris, was actually humble enough to turn away when the climb on K2 was too much, and attempted to organize some rescue when things went really bad.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 13, 2016

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Hooray!! The 2016 Everest Climbing Season has BEGUN!!! Picks for the 2016 Everest Death Pool are now officially CLOSED. (Rondette, feel free to update the OP at your convenience.)

:rip: :black101: :toot: THE FINAL DEATH COUNT PICKS FOR THE 2016 EVEREST CLIMBING SEASON :toot: :black101: :rip:
As of April 16, 2016
"Smoke 'em if you got 'em" :pipe:
Please note: Fractional counts were rounded up for statistics' sake. Between X and Y number guesses were averaged. Formatting of the list has changed slightly for the side bets.

:rolldice: Standard bets
-1 stab, elwood
0 Literally Kermit, Pvt Dancer, PostNouveau, Minrad, Mnoba
-1+1 Robo Reagan (Mom dies but baby lives)
1 CaptainOblivious, Fumble, Stoat, Langolas (3/5 rounded up)
2 empty baggie, Cojawfee
3 Troublemaker, Shinjobi, Alan Smithee
4 The Light Eternal, StoneOfShame, gannyGrabber, Vape Bag, Sanguine, Topher87
5 Microwaves Mom, Cliff Racer, Popeahuntis (4.5 rounded up)
6 Rondette, bradzilla, koreban
7 Anya, Vintimus Prime, The French Army!, inkmoth, Backweb
8 Electrical Fire, Nuggan, ranbo das, sesame_samuel_
9 SaNChEzZ, SteveVizsla, ALL-PRO SEXMAN (“between 8 and 13”), Rolo, Outrail
10 Quinctia, Shwqa, Hogge Wild, Jonesy (7 westerners and 3 sherpas)
11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker, a cyberpunk goose (10.5 rounded up)
12 slinky triscuits, Dr.Smasher, Frozen Horse (bonus option: base-camp tent fire)
13 Crusty Nutsack, Leperflesh, Velkest
14 Tambaloneus, Dead Precedents, Cuckoo
15 Xibanya, Lasca
16 Comrade Koba, LongDarkNight
17 Day Man, BlueBlazer, Quantum Finger, twit666
18 BisonDollah, Picnic Princess
19 Nostalgia4Butts, Carl Seitan
20 Teddybear (“smallest available positive integer”)
21 Cymoril, Sanguinary Novel
22 Stars War, Ceciltron
23 Nether Postlude, Ars Arcanum
24 Cthulu Carl, pr0k
25 Arcsquad12
26 meiram
27 MorgaineDax
28 ChrisHansen, Mihai Zetta, c0ldfuse
29 Switzerland, Bip Roberts
30 Cowman, h3r0n (bonus option: LL Bean)
31 IKillForPie
32 Chicken Doodle
33 RCarr, Romes128
34 a messed up horse
35 mike12345
36 Koil
37 Anoia
38 fuctifino, ZombieLenin
39 DerekSmartymans
40 bucksmash
41 Cartoon
42 blowfish (bonus option: execution), Random Hajile (bonus option: explosion)
50 Deadly Mongoose, Sono (49 tourists, 1 sherpa)
69 Nooner
88 tentative8e8op
162 Happy Hedonist
666 soy

:troll: High number bets:
42069666 ghostter
Mtn: The Goatfather, Doctor Schnabel
Everyone: Chinatown, Mega64

:cthulhu: Specialty bets:
Hypoxic tourist suplexes a Sherpa off the Kangshung Face: DumbparameciuM
Physical fight on mountain (any): EXTREME INSERTION
Sherpas cannibalize tourists: Shinjobi, SHISHKABOB
Boredom deaths: donkey salami
Russel Brice loses a climber: DumbparameciuM
TIM MEDVITZ totally dies this time: NaDy

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 16, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Chinese government denied a permit to the 12 year old kid: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/04/12/yorba-linda-kid-denied-shot-at-climbing-mount-everest/

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Feeling so strong on my sidebets this year.

To be a fly on the wall when Brycie found out that Medvitz is going to be back on "his" mountain this season, holy hell.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Most of the Sherpas are probably greedy assholes in it for money anyway. It only makes sense that the mountain is just full of assholes. Their income is peanuts compared to Western guides but they still make like 5x-10x the average Nepal income plus summiting bonuses, so there's always gonna be a huge greed factor.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Good. loving stupid idea to begin with.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Feeling so strong on my sidebets this year.

To be a fly on the wall when Brycie found out that Medvitz is going to be back on "his" mountain this season, holy hell.

That Russel Brice one is pretty compelling. It's only a matter of time.

Also word on the street is that Annapurna's season isn't going too well:
Final Summit-Bid is Underway on Annapurna, Majority of Climbers Retreat

Just found this neat weather thing:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Annapurna-Sanctuary/metar -- High temp today at basin (elevation: 4,130 m/13,550 ft): 5°C/41°F
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Everest -- High temp today at peak (elevation: 8850 m/29037 ft): -27°C/-17°F

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 16, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gently caress I want to make side bets is it too late? I say that we get at least another meat Popsicle to forever serve as a landmark to future climbers. Also one will die because someone stole his oxygen tanks

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I'm still in for the imgur flag draped on a corpse for eternity

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah poo poo I didn't know there was a pool going. Ah well I got myself down for 3

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Thank gently caress.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Zo posted:

Most of the Sherpas are probably greedy assholes in it for money anyway. It only makes sense that the mountain is just full of assholes. Their income is peanuts compared to Western guides but they still make like 5x-10x the average Nepal income plus summiting bonuses, so there's always gonna be a huge greed factor.

It's hosed up that their best source of income is putting their lives on the line carrying rich white assholes up a highly dangerous mountain. I can't imagine they earn much more than your average Western office worker, who obviously doesn't face the same risks at their workplace.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

12-yr old waaah waah I can't go article posted:

“We’re going to go to Australia in the summer and we’re also going to do some other mountains like we were thinking about doing the Three Sisters, which is Mount Adams, Mount Rainier, and Mount Hood."

That's not the Three Sisters. :colbert:

Three Sisters is... the Three Sisters. The family being from Yorba Linda (Orange County nouveau riche) makes so much sense.

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

He's going to have all of his limbs amputated and become the first human beanbag to summit Everest :c00lbutt:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Murder She Twote posted:

He's going to have all of his limbs amputated and become the first human beanbag to summit Everest :c00lbutt:

Metro ~six months ago posted:

Nepal announced it’s banning disabled people from climbing Mt Everest.

‘We don’t think we should issue permits to people who cannot see or walk or who don’t have arms,’ tourism department chief Govinda Karki said.

‘Climbing Everest is not a joke. It is not a matter of discrimination – how can you climb without legs?’

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That spoiled brat kid is in for a serious shock if he wants to do any mountain climbing in Australia! Our highest mountain is 2200m and is about an hour's chairlift + leisurely walk from the carpark.

The last time I walked up, there was a stag party at the top - complete with 30 blokes drinking beer and the stag in a snazzy cocktail dress & heels combo.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

webmeister posted:

The last time I walked up, there was a stag party at the top - complete with 30 blokes drinking beer and the stag in a snazzy cocktail dress & heels combo.

That is the kind of mountain I would pay to climb. Thats how nature says "it is a good and cool idea to climb this mountain".

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Yes, Australia, the continent whose nature is renowned for being cool and good and not venomous at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I wonder when we will get the first child sacrifice victim on the mountain. Hopefully never, but the abundance of stupid rich people, including those willing to risk their children's lives for bragging rights, makes it seem inevitable.