Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Data Graham posted:

I've always enjoyed how Canada has apparently decided that Boston is where pizza comes from

Yeah. Also fries are not a New York thing. if you had a chain called New York Pizza, okay, although Boston Fries still doesn't make sense.

I was forced to go to a Boston Pizza only once because I was in some random town in the Miramichi in the dead of winter and it was either that or Timmy's for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
While we're on the topic of Canadian foods:
How do you guys feel about fanciful variations on poutine? There's a pub here called Tap & Mallet that has like a curry flavored poutine on their menu that I thought was pretty alright. It could have stood to be spicier, in my opinion.

I guess I'm wondering, how much do Canadians care about poutine sanctity. Are there poutine rules?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Are there poutine rules?
No rules.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

deadly_pudding posted:

How do you guys feel about fanciful variations on poutine? There's a pub here called Tap & Mallet that has like a curry flavored poutine on their menu that I thought was pretty alright. It could have stood to be spicier, in my opinion.

I guess I'm wondering, how much do Canadians care about poutine sanctity. Are there poutine rules?

On a similar note, when does it stop being poutine and start being just loaded fries? I've seen restaurants calling elaborate fry dishes with no cheese curds and no gravy (unless you view any sauce as a gravy) poutine, which seems like too much to me. It can be delicious without being poutine.

outerpeace
Jan 11, 2005
Let's play a little game I like to call "asking for it"

bringmyfishback posted:

Yeah. Also fries are not a New York thing. if you had a chain called New York Pizza, okay, although Boston Fries still doesn't make sense.

I was forced to go to a Boston Pizza only once because I was in some random town in the Miramichi in the dead of winter and it was either that or Timmy's for dinner.

You were in Newcastle. My husband's family is from there. Did you enjoy seeing the empty lots where there used to be industry?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

EorayMel posted:

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed.
One fell off and bumped his head.
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

Remember: every fig has a dead, digested wasp inside!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

subpar anachronism posted:

No actual picture, but this made me unhappy and a little sick just to read

http://www.germandeli.com/Recipe-for-Kalter-Hund-2
(That recipe is incomplete, it's missing some rum.)

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

What is PDM? A google search suggests a food waste recycling program which seems appropriate

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

What is PDM? A google search suggests a food waste recycling program which seems appropriate

Protein Drink Mix?

Nobody calls it like that though.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Now I'm just picturing Rachel Ray as a crossfit junkie, all "PDM" instead of "EVOO", gross

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

http://www.germandeli.com/Recipe-for-Kalter-Hund-2
(That recipe is incomplete, it's missing some rum.)

I feel like an icebox cake with cookies and what seems to be a more ganache-like chocolate mixture (or possibly even custard like, with the egg?) is just a bit different than eating a straight block of coconut oil + cocoa powder + sweetener from the freezer. And I love coconut oil.

fresh plate of beige:

I know spaghetti napolitan (the japanese kind, not actual neapolitan) uses ketchup but I don't think they add even more sugar.

e for poutine rules: I would consider it poutine still as long as it used cheese curds. Once you swap for shredded or fake cheese sauce it's just loaded/disco fries/whatever.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Apr 8, 2016

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

deadly_pudding posted:

I made a sweet potato fry poutine recently where the sauce was ratatouille instead of gravy. Still used cheese curds but I would deffo still consider it poutine. I have a picture of it at home that would fit right into this thread too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Un chien andalou posted:

I made a sweet potato fry poutine recently where the sauce was ratatouille instead of gravy. Still used cheese curds but I would deffo still consider it poutine.

Then you would be wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

steinrokkan posted:

Then you would be wrong.

Poutine rules :ohdear:

For the record, ratatouille poutine sounds pretty good, but also it sounds like that might just be ratatouille with potatoes stirred into it after.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

deadly_pudding posted:

Poutine rules :ohdear:

For the record, ratatouille poutine sounds pretty good, but also it sounds like that might just be ratatouille with potatoes stirred into it after.

One of the staples of Quebec poutine is the so-called Poutine Italienne, in which the gravy is replaced with a bolognese sauce. If this can still be considered poutine by its genitors, surely a ratatouille based poutine can't be that far off. We can call it mediterranean poutine!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

deadly_pudding posted:

T&M rocks!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I am all for embellished poutine! There's a place in Canmore that makes all sorts of magical poutines and my favourite is the Mexican which adds beef, corn, tomatoes, jalepenos and hot sauce.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

EorayMel posted:

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed.
One fell off and bumped his head.
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

Tag your gore/pomegranatesfigs, asswipe.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

iRend posted:

I really didn't need to google that

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I know spaghetti napolitan (the japanese kind, not actual neapolitan) uses ketchup but I don't think they add even more sugar.

'guaranteed no chunks'

I'll make spaghetti sauce with smooth (canned) tomato sauce sometimes but this sounds really silly and kinda gross to me, idk

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The 'chunks' are usually vegetables which are delicious and good so gently caress chunkless sauce.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The Snoo posted:

'guaranteed no chunks'

I'll make spaghetti sauce with smooth (canned) tomato sauce sometimes but this sounds really silly and kinda gross to me, idk

as if ketchup wasn't sweet enough :barf:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Ketchup has a nice vinegar/tomato/salt combo but ehhh

Picnic Princess posted:

The 'chunks' are usually vegetables which are delicious and good so gently caress chunkless sauce.

:agreed:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I suffer through an eternity of smooth marinara because my girlfriend, though she likes vegetables, can't deal with the texture of an intact piece of tomato. I guess, realistically, I can probably afford to just buy my own sauce separately, but we don't go through it fast enough to not end up wasting it. There's not a lot of things more pathetic than an opened jar of tomato sauce from like 2 months ago that you forgot was in your fridge.

NotAnArtist posted:

as if ketchup wasn't sweet enough :barf:

I wouldn't be surprised if they add bonus sugar in the "American-Style" family restaurants that they have over there, which is usually where I imagine that particular meal being served anyway. That said, I'm pretty sure most commercial ketchups state-side already have HFCF in them because heaven forbid we eat a thing that's not sweetened.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I feel like an icebox cake with cookies and what seems to be a more ganache-like chocolate mixture (or possibly even custard like, with the egg?) is just a bit different than eating a straight block of coconut oil + cocoa powder + sweetener from the freezer. And I love coconut oil.

This was the first recipe I found, my mom's version IIRC had basically just Palmin (a frying fat based on coconut oil) and cocoa. And the rum.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hey, it's Chicken & Waffles a la Divorce.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

That said, I'm pretty sure most commercial ketchups state-side already have HFCF in them because heaven forbid we eat a thing that's not sweetened.

Hunt's doesn't have HCFS, seemed like they were making a big deal about it when they stopped using it. Still pretty sweet though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Hunt's doesn't have HCFS, seemed like they were making a big deal about it when they stopped using it. Still pretty sweet though.

I remember Hunts used to be the only ketchup my grandmother would buy when I was a kid. Good God that stuff was sickeningly sweet and tasted like poo poo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

iRend posted:

GOOD

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

iRend posted:

Remember: every fig has a dead, digested wasp inside! every wasp comes with a free fig enclosure!

:colbert:

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

Partially digested mucilage?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I was thinking about this earlier but afaik they stopped with the no-hfcs (they used regular sugar instead) for whatever reason. I still like hunts because because it's cheaper and tastes fine.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This made me have a very ugly sounding laugh, thank you

:smith: This reminds me of my boyfriend for some reason.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

:sever:

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm definitely all for embellished poutines, although I do also love the old traditional kind. I've had a butter chicken style poutine before and thought it was amazing. Would again! My husband and I are making our own poutine tonight....it's definitely going to be a little ghetto since we have no cheese curds, and are using frozen fries. But I'm a huge fan of even the shittiest poutines so I'm excited af.

Also can attest that those Boston Pizza pizza burgers are way better in theory than in practice. I had the slider app version, and they were basically just salty grease pockets.

Snake Toddler
Jan 11, 2016

hi yes this is an actual consumable food item and not just grandpa's silly stool sample mixup

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

iRend posted:

Sorry to disappoint, but that's only true for wild figs. The farm crop varieties are all able to grow fruit without pollination.

But fig wasp biology is really interesting.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

He's a very nice, loving man who happens to hate vegetables. I'll convert him one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

He's a very nice, loving man who happens to hate vegetables. I'll convert him one day.

I've been married seven years and only in the past three or so has he started eating non-processed veggies. When I took a handful of blueberries out of the garden last fall he gave me the weirdest look. Eventually they all get over "ew plants" but it might take for-loving-ever. We grew up in completely different environments so it kinda makes sense.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Apr 9, 2016