Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

What is the size of bedrooms do people like? Is it 36 tiles or like 60?

11x11 barracks loaded with decorations because gently caress having 80% of my base being bedrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had my first prison break tonight. My "tame a bunch of grizzly bears and restrict them to the hallway outside of the prison" plan worked flawlessly.

Stay in your cells or get eaten by ursus horribilis pirate scum!

Also, the one man I have in my 8 person colony has predictably married someone then promptly had an affair. Reality TV simulator indeed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fans posted:

I have a lady who pulled this guy out of a fire to save his life and now he hates her because she's so ugly from all the burns. My Pawns are such dicks.

Drunk in Space posted:

One of my colonists was getting chased by a Megascarab he was doing a poor job of hunting when suddenly the cat came running in, stunned it, killed it, and then hungrily devoured several of its body parts.

I like this update.

Swedish Horror posted:

I just 'cured' a colonist's asthma by replacing their lungs with the ones I ripped out of a prisoner.

If anyone needs a quick answer to "Should I play RimWorld", yeah it's basically Dwarf Fortress tier hilarity.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I have had cougars sneak into my base just to get at my one dog three times now. Unfortunately, the third, and final, time my colonists were asleep so by the time they got to the scene the coug had already started eating the poor dog. You'll be missed Xena, cougar bait.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E: It's long time since I've played. What do I need to know to survive?

E: I can't build comms beacons or anything any longer! What must I research/build to get a functioning base camp?

Azhais posted:

Had my first prison break tonight. My "tame a bunch of grizzly bears and restrict them to the hallway outside of the prison" plan worked flawlessly.

Stay in your cells or get eaten by ursus horribilis pirate scum!

Also, the one man I have in my 8 person colony has predictably married someone then promptly had an affair. Reality TV simulator indeed.

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your penal management technique newsletter, sir!

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 8, 2016

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Man, the father of one of my colonists was the leader of a pirate raid on my colony, forcing him to commit patricide. This game suddenly became a pretty great story generator.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tias posted:

E: It's long time since I've played. What do I need to know to survive?

E: I can't build comms beacons or anything any longer! What must I research/build to get a functioning base camp?

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your penal management technique newsletter, sir!

Research is now spread out a bit more. You'll start off with a plain ol' research table (smaller then the old research table, looks wooden) and then research your way up to the hi-tech research table and eventually the multianalyzer plug in.

Some research requires the hi-tech research table, some requires the hi-tech research table AND a multianalyzer.

The counterpoint to comms beacons being harder to get to is that there are now ground based trading caravans, so you're not totally isolated.

Covski posted:

Man, the father of one of my colonists was the leader of a pirate raid on my colony, forcing him to commit patricide. This game suddenly became a pretty great story generator.

What I really like about this is that its a really subtle and "natural" way to nerf recruiting every pirate that gets knocked out raiding your colony. Sure, its an extra pawn, but is it worth the risk that he'll be forced to shoot his partner/parent/sibling and go insane?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
EdB gave some pretty sad news today in his prepare carefully mod thread

quote:

Just a quick update:

Six months is a long time--I have not played RimWorld or looked at any of my mod code in about that long. I've been reserving judgement on what I was going to do about Prepare Carefully and the Interface mod until I got a chance to look at Alpha 13. I was hoping I could do a quick update to make it compatible with the new features, without doing any kind of major rethink. So far, that does not look likely. It looks like there's a change to the way that the game loads up the map that is no longer compatible with the core technique that I used to replace the UI in the Interface mod and to swap in all of your customizations from Prepare Carefully when you start a game.

I will spend some time to figure out if I can tweak it a bit to get it to work--there are a couple of alternatives that I'm considering--but parts of it may need some significant reworking, and I'm not sure how quickly that will happen.

So unfortunately, I have no estimate on when you might see Alpha 13 versions. It could be quite a while.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

EdB gave some pretty sad news today in his prepare carefully mod thread

I'm not a huge fan of Prepare Carefully, but EDB Interface is a big one. I wonder if hes grown bored of the game/modding for it?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Conot posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Prepare Carefully, but EDB Interface is a big one. I wonder if hes grown bored of the game/modding for it?

Well the modding community is pretty toxic so he might have just gotten sick of dealing with all of the assholes.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Jesus christ. When colonists get into fights, they beat the poo poo out of each other. I'm glad I didn't give anyone a knife.

e: Apparently the lung replacement was important enough to be made into art.

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Swedish Horror posted:

Jesus christ. When colonists get into fights, they beat the poo poo out of each other. I'm glad I didn't give anyone a knife.

e: Apparently the lung replacement was important enough to be made into art.

If the organ farms and poo poo-your-brain out diseases or murderous robots didn't give you the hint that this is kind of a rough universe, the fact that flooring people and jumping on their head is the only acceptable strategy in unarmed combat should :getin:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Well the modding community is pretty toxic so he might have just gotten sick of dealing with all of the assholes.

Maybe we could compile all the best mods into a mod package we claim and put our name on. Then we could make a download page with a donate button?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How bad is it? I just pick up the ocassional mod pack but I don't bother trawling through them individually so I haven't been exposed.

Is it anything like oldschool minecraft mod drama? I remember when launchers started appearing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The new EULA says you can ask for donations, but you can't make donations be the main part of your page.

So making a mod pack and throwing donation links all over it is a no-go.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just got this game, first colony destroyed by two tribespeople with bows and arrows.

Second attempt a grizzly bear kills everyone.

This game is awesome.

Should I be digging into mountains as my home or should I make buildings?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Phi230 posted:

Depends on which type of area you're in and your preference. For example, if it gets hot, it gets even hotter in caves. Also if you don't have any miners then its pretty difficult.

I think in general caves are more defensible? It's been a while since I played, downloading the update right now

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Caves actually get colder when you get far enough inside. I haven't actually tested that out, but it was mentioned in the update video. Supposedly the only way to survive in the extreme desert biome is to dig into the mountains. Deadly insects can also spawn inside mountains now, so that's a thing to consider.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Demiurge4 posted:

How bad is it? I just pick up the ocassional mod pack but I don't bother trawling through them individually so I haven't been exposed.

Is it anything like oldschool minecraft mod drama? I remember when launchers started appearing.

Well it's basically what Tenzarin said. Some guy compiled a bunch of other peoples work and did some 'integrating' and added a big rear end donation link about 20 times in his modpack thread and when the mod authors asked him to include a donation link for their work he said 'yea ok sure' never did it and there was an assload of drama involved around it. Which culminated in the modpack guy taking his ball and going home.

Phi230 posted:

I just got this game, first colony destroyed by two tribespeople with bows and arrows.

Second attempt a grizzly bear kills everyone.

This game is awesome.

I always dig into the mountains because it's just a pretty Dwarf Fortress with a few less options that I'm sure will be added in soon.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 8, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I build external villages with a mountain bunker. I don't like moving everything under there because its a pretty substantial resource and time investment.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I build external villages with a mountain bunker. I don't like moving everything under there because its a pretty substantial resource and time investment.

I do pretty much the same, I build a nice little village and then start building a doomsday bunker as a side-project when everything is stable.

I'm also finding that the Pheobe storyteller is exactly my style, there's only a few raids per year but they're all just as intense as they otherwise would be and most of my time is spent trying to survive against the elements in the winter anyways. RIP Tara, the colony owed you a debt for sniping all those raiders during the siege, but couldn't get to you in time when that bear attacked :smith:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

I do pretty much the same, I build a nice little village and then start building a doomsday bunker as a side-project when everything is stable.

I'm also finding that the Pheobe storyteller is exactly my style, there's only a few raids per year but they're all just as intense as they otherwise would be and most of my time is spent trying to survive against the elements in the winter anyways. RIP Tara, the colony owed you a debt for sniping all those raiders during the siege, but couldn't get to you in time when that bear attacked :smith:

The default storyteller's habit of constant raids is annoying and kind of silly. Maybe the odds of the next raid from that faction should be based on how many losses they took. If you slaughter their raiding party they should probably back off for a while.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Slime posted:

The default storyteller's habit of constant raids is annoying and kind of silly. Maybe the odds of the next raid from that faction should be based on how many losses they took. If you slaughter their raiding party they should probably back off for a while.

Best part is when the raids grow to like 50 guys with spears, charging into your kill box.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tenzarin posted:

Best part is when the raids grow to like 50 guys with spears, charging into your kill box.

And then, in a totally unrelated event, it becomes meatloaf night in the commissary.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Soon as I have people eat people, everyone goes mad.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

agreed. Tynan talks about wanting a story generator, but they kept adding new threats and nerfs to common defenses to the point where it seems most of the stories being told are: 1) everyone dies 2) gently caress you.

the standard response to a game that is unrelenting in its quest to murder you is to bunker up, but if that's not what you want players to do, maybe reconsider your approach beyond "bunkers suck now lol, also your colonists all caught fail aids simultaneously & here's a 50 man raid for the coup de grace"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Slime posted:

Use randy random, I think it doesn't do the increasing raid thing. (Just raid size by colony value.)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The nice thing about the second story teller is that it goes out of its way not to gently caress you over for a while after something bad happens.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drink Cheerwine posted:

the standard response to a game that is unrelenting in its quest to murder you is to bunker up, but if that's not what you want players to do, maybe reconsider your approach beyond "bunkers suck now lol, also your colonists all caught fail aids simultaneously & here's a 50 man raid for the coup de grace"

Or in my last colony's version, right as the 50 man raid rounds the corner into the killbox, there's a solar flare.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Playing Cassandra Classic on Rough, things started out pretty smooth, but quickly ramped up. When I last left off, I had a sapper raid that killed half the colony while 2 of the survivors got gut worms, another the plague, and the only able-bodied colonist going berserk. My cook is dead, I have no food, everyone is sick, injured, insane and/or missing body parts. And I still haven't seen a single goddamn trade ship.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Elth posted:

And I still haven't seen a single goddamn trade ship.

I think I've only seen one trade ship in a year and a half of game time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

beerinator posted:

I think I've only seen one trade ship in a year and a half of game time.

Yeah, the visiting tradesman seem to consume all of the trade slots. I've gotten one exotic merchant and one bulk in about two years, but dozens of convoys (which have no money or cool poo poo)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I started a Cass classic rough game, the raids are growing in size quickly, I really need stonecutting to make a kill box. No way in hell I'm gonna make one out of marble.

One raid happened when I was drawing more power than 2 windmills can provide and the turrets were going on and off. I had to have everyone rush the one guy who got into the mountain.

Thinking about making a large barracks instead of the 10x10 rooms I already dug for my 4 guys.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 8, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

I started a Cass classic rough game, the raids are growing in size quickly, I really need stonecutting to make a kill box. No way in hell I'm gonna make one out of marble.

One raid happened when I was drawing more power than 2 windmills can provide and the turrets were going on and off. I had to have everyone rush the one guy who got into the mountain.

Thinking about making a large barracks instead of the 10x10 rooms I already dug for my 4 guys.

Most colonists get a penalty for group sleeping arrangements

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phi230 posted:

Most colonists get a penalty for group sleeping arrangements

It's pretty much offset by the spacious room bonus tho. I just make 6x4 rooms which are good enough to not get the cramped penalty with a bed, statue, plant, light, and heater.

Speaking of lights, gently caress the 150W the default lamps draw. Need my mods back damnit, the default lights are absurd, 50% more power draw than a space heater.

In the grim future of unknown Rimworlds LEDs do not exist.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm quite proud of my little colony here. 6 colonists, soon to be 7. Got myself two grizzly bears and a cougar, though my brave Yorkshire Terrier ripped out 3 tribesmens throats before getting killed by friendly fire. R.I.P Babette, we hardly knew ye.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Update dropped just as I was busy working a 4 day shift. Really looking forward to getting home and watching this trainwreck unfold.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My hunter colonist was near mauled to death by an alpaca

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
If you think the game is too difficult on the harder difficulties/storytellers have you considered... not using those? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

It's pretty much offset by the spacious room bonus tho. I just make 6x4 rooms which are good enough to not get the cramped penalty with a bed, statue, plant, light, and heater.

Speaking of lights, gently caress the 150W the default lamps draw. Need my mods back damnit, the default lights are absurd, 50% more power draw than a space heater.

In the grim future of unknown Rimworlds LEDs do not exist.

yeah, that's always annoyed me too. so i just made a tiny mod for us

http://www.filedropper.com/efficientlight

drops the draw from 150 to 25