Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I love how Elite's current, in-game recorded footage is better than all of Star Citizen's post-processed preview trailers with no in-game footage at all because there is no game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chris Roberts reaction

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Scruffpuff posted:

I love how Elite's current, in-game recorded footage is better than all of Star Citizen's post-processed preview trailers with no in-game footage at all because there is no game.

Speaking of things that actually get released. The HCS William Shatner voice pack for Voice Attack has been released today.

http://hcsvoicepacks.com/products/orion-performed-by-william-shatner

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Someone should strip that video of elite references, stick in a few SC logos and upload it to the tube

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Someone should strip that video of elite references, stick in a few SC logos and upload it to the tube

Just to see how many “looks amazing, CIG is doing unprecedented work” comments you can catch before they realise they've been had?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

spacetoaster posted:

Doing my part to get us to 3,000

This. :lesnick:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I like Elite dangerous a lot heres some pvp footage
im using a ship that costs around 2 million enemy is using ship that costs around 800 million.
Pvp just feels intense when it happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oO-JcscKDo

here i drive off ship that costs 120 million using the same 2 million ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhCTKByAQI

as you can see combat is loads of fun in elite.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Toops posted:

"Landing gear deployed"
"Landing gear retracted"
"Landing successful"
"Landing not successful"
"Landing outcome uncertain"
"Your shileds are looking a bit haggard"
"Shield status: Atrocious"
"SHIELDS hosed"
"Your hull is a bit banged up"
"Hull status: borked"
"You're in deep poo poo, commando!"
"Downloading digital consciousness to the cloud. I'm out, Commando."
"I will never forget you."
"See you in the 'Laxy!"

I've read out these last couple of lines here:
https://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p&h=9535DFE8&j=255BF

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

1500 posted:

Slain father of boy on trial for murder was training him for zombie apocalypse

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/son-killed-father-trained-zombies-article-1.2505575

I worked with a guy that had his own safe house, 30k+ rounds of ammunition, 10 years of food and water for 5 people.

Re: prepchat. An acquaintance is big into prepping, but he's grossly overweight. He was telling.me about the importance of stocking up for the revolution, and I asked him if being able to run fifty yards might beneficial when the revolution happens, but he said he wouldn't need to. I guess because he has guns and food.

Dark off is that an Imperial Eagle?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 8, 2016

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

TTerrible posted:

This loving picture. It is just a perfect illustration of mental illness. What is even going on?

I have no idea but I'm pretty sure something is about to triple in the next second or two.

also unban caro

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Um, who the gently caress is Caro?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm glad of Caro's survival

The only things that can truly kill a goon are the joose and a hot car

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

new_horizon_burningnew user/low karma 0 points 2 hours ago posted:

Isn't it hilarious that a thread focusing on "unpopular opinions" does gather over 1000 replies within a few hours, probably more than most other threads in this reddit?
To throw some more ingredients into the cake: Chris Roberts wants to make money. With all the expansions and overpriced dude-operas in the early 1990s this was already obvious. It has never been about saving gaming-culture or bullshit like that, it is marketing to make money and to sell very simple ideas (dudes save the world) to an audience with a lot of money.

oh boy :peanut:

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

and OF COURSE

quote:

The entitlement of gamers is just out there. Almost as bad as a good portion of Millenials. I swear most of this drama would not be around if dev was behind closed doors like most games, even kickstarter games. I dont drink Kool-Aid but here is another unpopular opnion:
CIG is a new company
CIG had internal issues
We are not shareholders that deserve as much information as we get
Take any other AAA game and see how long theyve worked on it with ESTABLISHED companies (there are charts out there and its not as short as people want to thing)
You could have had a game that is not what this is turning in to.
I am fine with how long they are taking. I am fine with where they are in development. I know how long it took to dev Warcraft and I was amazed by that. I know how long GTA and FF took and I am fine with those when they came out. It's as if most people are just so used to an established engine that gets tweaked a small amount and one or two new features from another game to take $60 a year from people. I dont want that. I invested in this project like many of you because we believe in this. Otherwise we wouldnt have wasted our money. And to sit here and say "it needs to be done now" "we need full game now u had nuff time" is just dumb. Have you ever experienced this type of information from any other company? Not in my years of gaming. EA, nope. Activision, nope. Ubisoft, nuh uh. It is these smaller companies with smaller projects that update. And even at that it's usually monthly updates, not a weekly update. So do we ask for CIG to change and go to updates every month, 2 months? A random Trailer showing new game play in 6 months to a year? Wait, this is not No Man's Sky or Dreadnought. This is Star Citizen, and it looks like it will be TBDSSE.
But I could be wrong.

Nice unpopular opinion there guy :jerkbag:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Re: prepchat. An acquaintance is big into prepping, but he's grossly overweight. He was telling.me about the importance of stocking up for the revolution, and I asked him if being able to run fifty yards might beneficial when the revolution happens, but he said he wouldn't need to. I guess because he has guns and food.

He's quite right: running doesn't help against Reaper drones, and it's important to leave guns and food behind for the survivors.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Why are you doing this to us? What did we ever do to you to deserve this? :cry:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

MoraleHazard posted:

Dark off is that an Imperial Eagle?

Yes it is :)
I think its the best ship in the game.
The thing elite does really goodly is the fact that every ship feels unique.
some require pitching and rolling, while others can fly freely in all available directions.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

horrific

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm really enjoying the people who think that someone saying Caro was probably dead just because he was last seen in a prison where most people die somehow contributed either to his mother feeling worse or Caro being imprisoned longer. "I was about to release the guy in cell 7, but some guy on Something Awful says he's probably dead already. Guess I can't release him now."

Will I be able to form religious fundamentalist terror groups and abduct other players in Star Citizen? Imagine the joy of torturing B'Tak every day for four years by being somewhere near him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/3d-builder/9wzdncrfj3t6

everybody needs to download 3d builder it's great, I wanna see someone do a starwars trenchrun camera shot, down the crags of croberts face, complete with x- wings.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I fell behind around page 2135 and had to skip a few (thousand) posts. What's the "ELE" I keep reading?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

bale. posted:

I fell behind around page 2135 and had to skip a few (thousand) posts. What's the "ELE" I keep reading?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater but in game development.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

everybody needs to download 3d builder it's great, I wanna see someone do a starwars trenchrun camera shot, down the crags of croberts face, complete with x- wings.

And stain my virginal computer with a Windows store app????

:yikes:

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You obviously don't understand game development :pseudo:

Thanks commando!

Nov 3, 2015

Tippis posted:

Why are you doing this to us? What did we ever do to you to deserve this? :cry:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

bale. posted:

It's kilrathi for blue balls.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Dark Off posted:

Yes it is :)
I think its the best ship in the game.
The thing elite does really goodly is the fact that every ship feels unique.
some require pitching and rolling, while others can fly freely in all available directions.

I agree that each ship feels different. I'm on my first exploration trip, but when I get back, I want to buy an ieagle.

With you in silent running, did he see you? Also, how come he didn't wake out?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

bale. posted:

Nothing

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Not while there's breath in my body.

Nov 3, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

And stain my virginal computer with a Windows store app????

:yikes:

I just found out that if you have windows 10, its apparently installed already.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

bale. posted:

It's waiting, so far.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've been out of the loop for about 1500 pages since I got my refund. I see that Star Citizen is no closer to be released and that in one of their recent announcements they're talking about rebuilding the backend. Again. It's like I never left!

What delicious jpegs have they been selling recently? Can't wait to see this ELE that Derek is on about. I wonder if it's linked to the Panama Papers being released? Wouldn't that be something

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I'm the loser nerd who doesn't understand computer things, everyone point and laugh at me, yes over here.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ok. Who of you made this. Such a charismatic and personal voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rljEc1Hrac

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

It's happening. Just wait. Two weeks. They're hosed. The end. Period.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Variable 5 posted:

It's happening. Just wait. Two weeks. They're hosed. The end. Period.

:vince: :bravo: :five: :vince: :bravo: :five: :vince: :bravo: :five: :vince: :bravo: :five: :vince: :bravo: :five: :vince: :bravo: :five: :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Exerpt from Chris Crawford interview for Game Design—Theory & Practice, Second Edition (my underlining):

quote:

How do you think Wing Commander sealed the fate of the industry?

The big question for the industry in 1985 was what, if anything, will sell? Nobody seemed to know for sure, but there were a few strands. The fact that Balance of Power was a huge hit suggested to people that perhaps serious games might have a future, or at least games that weren’t video games. And there was a lot of excitement about exploring some of those ideas. The other games that were a big success back then were the whole series of Infocom games, which continued to do well right through the crash.

Because they were clearly different from video games.

Yes. And you put those two together, and it pointed strongly in one direction. So there was a lot of effort in that direction. The industry was still torn because it was so much easier to design the video games, and they did seem to sell to a group of people who weren’t affected by the crash. We really teetered on that fence: which way are we going to go — video games or a broad range of game possibilities? What sealed it was Wing Commander, for two reasons. The main thing that Wing Commander did that doomed the industry was that it bought market share. That is, Wing Commander was a hugely expensive program to write. It’s funny; Chris Roberts has denied that it cost much, but that’s because of some creative internal accounting. Back in those days, around 1990, a typical budget for a game would be $100,000 to $200,000. There were some done cheaper, but $300,000 was a very expensive game. Wing Commander probably cost about $1,000,000. By the standards of the day that was considered absurd. And in fact, I’ve been told by an Origin insider that Wing Commander by itself never paid back its investment, but that the follow-ups and add-ons did. But what they were really doing was spending so much money that it would only work if it became the top hit. It did. The problem then was, they’ve raised the bar for the whole industry, we all have to produce $1,000,000 games, and unfortunately they can only work if each one is the number one game. And you can only have one number one game. So that, in turn, forced the industry to become much more conservative. We’ve got these huge expenses, we simply can’t make money turning out a number twenty game. Anything less than being in the top ten will lose money. So very quickly it became a hit-driven business. That was already starting in the late ’80s, but Wing Commander sealed it. So once it became a hit-driven industry, the whole marketing strategy, economics, and everything changed, in my opinion, much for the worse. The other thing was that Wing Commander also seemed to reestablish or reconfirm the role of the action game as the wave of the future. And basically that’s where the industry solidified, and the cement has now set.

The pattern was set early on.

• Locked thread