Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MedicineHut posted:

Ok. Who of you made this. Such a charismatic and personal voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rljEc1Hrac

That's hilarious.

"I've said it many times and I'll say it again... PC exclusive games look like PS2 games."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Variable 5 posted:

It's happening. Just wait. Two weeks. They're hosed. The end. Period.

approaching croberts level of hype here

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

MoraleHazard posted:

I agree that each ship feels different. I'm on my first exploration trip, but when I get back, I want to buy an ieagle.

With you in silent running, did he see you? Also, how come he didn't wake out?

nope he cant see me with his scanner he has to visually identify where i am
he didn't wake out because a) he has superior 700 million ship b)if he did i would just pull him out of supercruise again.
the other thing to notice here is the fact that i was flying this ship without any flight assist basically turning it into ship with Newtonian flight pattern ( basically i was controlling counter-thrust manually instead of letting computer do it for me)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

is that helen mirren

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Screams eeeEEE posted:

and OF COURSE

Nice unpopular opinion there guy :jerkbag:

I see this constantly on r/mma but it's a favorite pastime of reddit to go 'I know this is an unpopular opinion / I'll get downvoted for this but [hugely popular viewpoint that they've seen their peers repeatedly state]'

it's like getting thrown in the briar patch except all Brer Rabbit gets is meaningless internet points

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solomonic posted:

I see this constantly on r/mma but it's a favorite pastime of reddit to go 'I know this is an unpopular opinion / I'll get downvoted for this but [hugely popular viewpoint that they've seen their peers repeatedly state]'

it's like getting thrown in the briar patch except all Brer Rabbit gets is meaningless internet points

average reddit post

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MedicineHut posted:

Chris Roberts getting owned by PS4 saving pc gaming

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eonwe posted:

average reddit post

good post have an upvote o7

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MedicineHut posted:

I'm dead. Those comments. Ow.

It's kind of sad how true it is, too.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dark Off posted:

I like Elite dangerous a lot heres some pvp footage
im using a ship that costs around 2 million enemy is using ship that costs around 800 million.
Pvp just feels intense when it happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oO-JcscKDo

here i drive off ship that costs 120 million using the same 2 million ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhCTKByAQI

as you can see combat is loads of fun in elite.

Those are some serious combat and piloting skills my friend. Silent Running, assist off etc. Respect. But most of all, your balls of steel.

E: By the way, why launching missiles when shields up?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 8, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
From the unpopular opinions thread. Made me laugh 'cos it's straight to the point

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4dtm93/lets_have_an_unpopular_opinions_thread/d1uspb7

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

MedicineHut posted:

:lol:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
For any other UK goons out there, the grand national is on tomorrow, I was looking at what horse I was going to bet on and look which one popped out at me :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

For any other UK goons out there, the grand national is on tomorrow, I was looking at what horse I was going to bet on and look which one popped out at me :D

Not the Bootcha needs the money, but if I could throw money at a GoFundMe for the completion of GoonDeYadda, I'd be good for whatever the price Star Citizen is going for these days. It's that important.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Concierge Hangar item

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

PSA: "Reverse the Verse" starts in 4 minutes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Berious posted:

From the unpopular opinions thread. Made me laugh 'cos it's straight to the point

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4dtm93/lets_have_an_unpopular_opinions_thread/d1uspb7
1300 comments...

It's almost as if there was a disgruntled silent majority that'd been cowed into silence by overly zealous moderation. But that can't be it, Star Citizen is already a 9/10 game. No, all those guys must be Derek Smart.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Concierge Hangar item
I swear they are always one step ahead of any would be satirists with this crap...

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Is there a good reason for watching that poo poo or should I just wait for you guys to post all the juicy parts?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm pretty sure Hadrian's Approach is anti-semite

...anyone got the joke? please?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

the fidelity.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lets see how long it takes to get banned this time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hi Sandi

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean don't leave me hanging

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

From the new intro Jared made for the stream.

I think it's now safe to say he officially doesn't give a poo poo about Sandi's opinion on him anymore.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wuxi posted:

Is there a good reason for watching that poo poo or should I just wait for you guys to post all the juicy parts?

Depends on your constitution levels, mate. We'll log the good parts here so no need to endure it if you've better things to do.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Hi Sandi

Maybe she'll up the ante by making herself a few Elvis sandwiches and chewing straight into the mic while Ben is mumbling about space cats

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wuxi posted:

Do you have some kind of clause in your insurance where you get big juicy payouts for accidentally maiming yourself? If so, then that's your reason right there. If not, just wait for some other sucker in the thread to do it for you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I love Sandi she is a beautiful woman.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who would play Sandi?

Jim Carrey.

Sorry, for the low rear end effort. I have to leave in a few minutes and can't find the original Sandi Pic. But the resemblance is eerie.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tsyni posted:

:eyepop:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Meanwhile at a completely different game studio:

HBS posted:

Translating Tabletop

Whenever I’m at a game convention, I’m always asked, “Why don’t you just port the BattleTech tabletop rules to the computer? They’ve worked great for 30 years!” For the answer, let’s start with the obvious - tabletop games have the enormous benefit of in-person social interaction. Being around the table with your friends is entertaining all by itself and taking more time to resolve game results is not necessarily a negative. On the other hand, waiting for a remote opponent in an online game can be frustrating at worst and boring at best. Even if your opponent is your best friend, it’s just not the same as being the table together.

Beyond social interaction, another key difference between tabletop and computer games is how you absorb information. For example, during a tabletop game, every move and every die roll you make (along with all the moves and die rolls of your opponents) happen at a speed that allows you to process that information. And don’t underestimate the tactile and social fun of rolling dice or the visceral feeling of filling in armor boxes on a ‘Mech’s record sheet. It is the tactile power of those experiences that helps us understand and retain the game information conveyed during the event.

BattleTech’s turn order is a good example of a tabletop design element that doesn’t port well to the computer. The tabletop design attempts to reflect the fictional reality of 'Mechs and vehicles moving and shooting simultaneously by splitting movement and combat into two different phases. Movement order is based on initiative, and then alternated between players. Combat is resolved simultaneously - players take turns rolling damage, and then that damage all takes effect at the same time. This works great for tabletop, where it’s easy to accept the nonlinear abstraction. Even though my attack may have destroyed your ‘Mech, I know you’ll still get to roll for its damage to mine. This is much harder to present on screen, where a certain linearity of events is expected!

So, now that you understand the basic design challenge, we’ll start where HBS always starts - at the goal level.

Design Goals

Our design process starts with explicitly stating the goals for every system, so that we have a way of evaluating if the system design is not just “cool” but most importantly achieves its design criteria. The design goals that impact the turn order system are:

• Fluid play in both singleplayer and multiplayer game modes - This is actually a bigger deal than you would think because our emotional reactions to a turn order system are quite different with a computer opponent that takes zero time to make a decision and a human who takes considerably more than zero time.

• Make Light 'Mechs useful and versatile - Light 'Mechs were included in the game to be used as scouts, flankers, and forward observers. Historically, these roles have appeared in BT fiction more than in game play, so one of our major goals is to make Light 'Mechs really useful.
  • Don’t overwhelm me with information - BattleTech is a very information heavy game. Previous computer / video games have handled this in one of two ways: greatly simplify the game, or overwhelm the player with too much information. We want to find a balance that allows us to maintain the depth of the simulation while making sure that the information provided is digestible and actionable.
  • Provide me visceral feedback on my actions - When you perform an action you should see a satisfying result to that action, and most importantly you should understand the results of the action.
  • It’s gotta feel like BattleTech! - This one might seem obvious, but it’s important to make it explicit - the results of the turn order system should feel like BattleTech.

Rapid Prototyping

Working from an established set of design goals for a system, we like to move directly into rapid prototyping. As designers, it’s always tempting to engage in lengthy debates, waxing poetic about the merits of different approaches, but we’ve found that it’s by far more effective to simply try out each compelling idea! Our designers and engineers jump right into Unity to quickly create crude working versions of design concepts that we can play right away. These prototypes look ugly, and are missing a lot of bells and whistles, but they’re enough for us to really get a feel for how the design element plays in both singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios.

This approach has made working on BATTLETECH a great deal of fun for for the entire team as we can all discuss the merits of each approach from an informed position. Even more importantly, the rapid prototyping methodology has allowed us to vet the game design many months before a fully architected code base would allow us to.

We have built and played the hell out of seven (7!) different approaches to turn order, from a completely linear XCOM-like system to a completely simultaneous action system with many variations in between. Since a simultaneous action approach is a natural one to gravitate to for BattleTech, I’m going to take some time to outline how those particular prototypes went in a bit of detail.

Our first simultaneous action prototype was one in which players plotted both movement and combat secretly and then watched as the round unfolded. The biggest issue with this prototype turned out to be with targeting and weapon selections for each 'Mech. In the prototype, players could target enemies with specific weapons while plotting their movements and then, during a simultaneous resolution phase, they’d see their choices play out in real-time action.

Sound great, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, things often went very differently than folks anticipated. Watching everyone’s plans going awry is supposed to be part of the fun of a simultaneous action system but instead, players felt frustrated watching one of their MechWarriors slavishly waiting to shoot their designated target rather than unloading in the rear armor of an enemy 'Mech that wandered right into the line-of-fire. To compensate, we started to give the MechWarriors the ability to override the player’s targeting and weapon selections in specific circumstances and... eventually it just started feeling like the player was losing control of critical decisions. So much for Simultaneous Action Prototype #1!

Our next attempt at simultaneous action was to break the round into two phases, Movement and Combat - with both phases being revealed simultaneously. The idea was that player would plot movement for all their 'Mechs and then everyone’s movements would be revealed simultaneously. The players could then use a scrollbar like a video “scrubber” to roll time backwards and forwards to determine when to fire during each 'Mech’s movement, who the target was, and which weapons would fire. This prototype was interesting, and returned complete control to the player, but was a slow and laborious system to interact with.

Both of our simultaneous action solutions also really failed on the information overload and visceral feedback goals I mentioned above. Because so much happened so quickly, you often found yourself needing to dive into each 'Mech’s data after the action just to understand what happened in the previous round. As you can imagine, that wasn’t very fun. The other goal these prototypes failed at was actually the most important - they felt like you were commanding fighter planes, not BattleMechs. They didn’t feel like BattleTech.

I won’t take you through the pros and cons of all seven Turn Order prototypes we built and played the hell out of and instead cut to the chase by introducing you to the turn order system we finally embraced and are building the game around.

So - Where Did We End Up?

Here’s the basics:
  • Each weight class of ‘Mech has an Initiative value. Light ‘Mechs are the fastest, with an Initiative of 4 and assaults are the slowest, with an Initiative of 1.
  • Combat rounds are divided into 5 Phases, counting down from 5 to 1. ‘Mechs are allowed to act during the Phase that matches their Initiative. (That 5th Phase is the province of extremely skilled MechWarriors piloting Light ‘Mechs.)
  • Each Phase, each side takes turns choosing a ‘Mech to Activate. When a Mech is Activated, it can both move and then fire its weapons. However, once the ‘Mech fires, its turn is over and it can’t act again until the next Round of combat.
  • After you Activate a ‘Mech and take a turn, the game attempts to give the next action to the other side. If the enemy has units available to use in the current Phase, they get the opportunity to activate one of them. If, on the other hand, they have no more units they can activate in the phase, and you do, you’ll get to go again.
  • This means that if you and your opponent are both using full lances of assault ‘Mechs, every Round will be pretty predictable: You’ll go, then your opponent will go, and so forth until all eight ‘Mechs have been Activated and have taken a turn.
When the game finishes counting down Initiative values and Phase 1 units have taken their turn, the Round ends. The Phase counter resets to 5, and every ‘Mech is ready to act again.

And now the really cool part:

We think this is a neat system because it reinforces and distinguishes between the different weight classes of ‘Mechs - but the place where it really becomes really interesting is when you start reserving ‘Mechs’ Phases for use later in the Round.

Any ‘Mech that isn’t an assault can be held in reserve when its turn to act comes up. That temporarily sets its Initiative Value one lower. So a Light ‘Mech that normally acts in Phase 4 will instead act in Phase 3.

With this system, you can keep reserving your ‘Mechs’ actions, holding an entire lance of ‘Mechs until Phase 1, if you wanted to.

What’s so interesting about reserving actions? First of all, consider the case of a whole lance of Light and medium ‘Mechs being reserved until Phase 1, where they’ll get to act right at the end of a Round. Then, when the round ends and a new Round starts, they’ll immediately get to act again in Phases 4 and 3! (This tactic isn’t theoretical - in a recent battle, I snuck up behind our Lead Designer Kevin’s Centurion with a Jenner I’d reserved to Phase 1. Then, on Phase 4 of the next Round I got to make a full alpha strike right into his back armor.)

As you’d guess, there’s also a lot of value in using this tactic to locally outnumber an opponent. You want your engagements to be uneven in your favor, and you want to be able to fall back from any engagement in which you’re outnumbered. Focusing your forces in one spot when your enemy is spread out is right out of Sun Tzu.

Our initiative system, which allows you to reserve units, means you can locally outnumber your enemy in time as well as space. If you can take three actions in a row, and all three actions are effective fire on a target with no chance for it to respond by moving or returning fire… you’ve essentially made part of the turn a 3-on-1 battle.

Conversely, reserving your faster ‘Mechs to break up long sequences of enemy action with opportunities to respond can be useful in preventing your own forces from becoming focus-fired.

We’re reinforcing the role of Light ‘Mechs in other ways, but this system is a significant component of their value. Light ‘Mechs get to choose where and when they engage, and if used carefully can be exactly the tool you need to get out of a bad situation. Heavy and assault ‘Mechs pack a much bigger punch, but the tradeoff is that they’re inherently more predictable - and thus are more often reacting than acting.
The Results

This turn order system is the one that made us immediately say, “Yes, that feels like BattleTech.” (Randall Bills, who’s in charge of BattleTech at Catalyst Game Labs, had the same reaction, which is obviously a good sign!) It captures the feeling of the world in that 'Mechs feel like 'Mechs, not aircraft or stationary gun platforms. It really helped to emphasise the difference between the various weight classes of 'Mechs. The tactical choices are interesting and the results are immediate and understandable.

And this model also clearly fulfilled all of our design goals from above:

• Fluid play in both singleplayer and multiplayer game modes - Because control frequently passes back and forth in this model, singleplayer flows smoothly while still giving the player a variety of tactical options and there’s almost always something to watch or do in multiplayer.
  • Make Light 'Mechs useful and versatile - As explained above, this system gives Light ‘Mechs an inherent initiative advantage which can be used in many different ways.
  • Don’t overwhelm me with information - Focusing on moving only one unit at a time, and allowing both sides to clearly see the results of JUST that action, really helped focus the amount of information being presented to the player on a moment-to-moment basis - all the complexity of BattleTech movement and attacks is still there, but now it’s being presented in a very digestible way.
  • Provide me visceral feedback on my actions - Plotting a ‘Mech’s action and immediately seeing the damage done by your attack is really satisfying!
  • It’s gotta feel like BattleTech - While this admittedly a subjective criteria, this turn-order model immediately elicited this response with the team.

Now, we know you can’t play this system yourself yet (we’re working as fast as we can!) so you’ll have to trust on this one, but our play experiences tell us that this turn order system hits the right balance for both singleplayer and multiplayer game play.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tsyni posted:

same but ben

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think it's pretty stupid to nail all those things down this early in development

Also I'm pretty sure they started on it in 2009

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

HBS is one of those companies I feel comfortable giving money to, sight unseen. I wonder why that is.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like how Sandi can't say what she does all week

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That was a very cool email to read the other day. Their idea sounds very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, after she said she did a lot.

• Locked thread