Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

GutBomb posted:

Check very carefully for rust. He says he brought it up from Florida but he's clearly driving it in the snow which means it's seen road salt. The claimed undercoat could be complete bullshit.
Where would be the best places to check? Besides the obvious rocker panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
At that price it needs pictures of the body panels and suspension bits. 25 year old suspension parts aren't fun either when they are frozen with rust and corrosion.. No mention of the engine or any maintenance. This tells you what kind of person owned the car, they cared more about the looks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like an old picture too. I don't think we got enough snow this year for today photos.

Why you should advertise a Florida car with pictures of it in the snow is beyond me.

Edit: Don't go look at that car with the intention that you're going to buy it. You're looking at it but be ready to walk away if something doesn't look or feel right.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 23, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does it come with the trailer?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Going to look at this tomorrow and I'm leaning heavily towards buying my first miata:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5504459766.html

I'm going to guess the Firestone lifetime alignment is not transferrable?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The new ND looks ama

GEMorris posted:

Oh god I'm going to start channeling mnet but if I'm looking for a convertible hardtop I want it to be a full convertible not a targa and I guess I'm keeping my NC.

I'm sorry, I tried not to.

Not sure if you're joking or not but that's how I feel. It looks amazing, but if I'm taking the top down, I'd prefer the 360 visibility of a true convertible rather than having those buttress/blind spots hang around.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

blk posted:

The new ND looks ama

Not sure if you're joking or not but that's how I feel. It looks amazing, but if I'm taking the top down, I'd prefer the 360 visibility of a true convertible rather than having those buttress/blind spots hang around.

It was both.

Invoking mnet is the only true way to completely obscure the intent of a message.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Going to look at this tomorrow and I'm leaning heavily towards buying my first miata:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5504459766.html

Keep looking in my opinion, anybody who uses action shots to sell a car is probably not taking the kind of care you want. Look for grandma owners not adrenaline junkies

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Can one mild winter do that much damage? He claims to have bought the car last year from a 70yr old woman in florida. If it's really rust free, even if the suspension is shot and the timing needs to be done, isn't it still a good price with a hardtop? Most cars around here are rusted to hell and back. He claims to be planning to use the money to build a urs4. Seems like good car people to me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A lot of people undercoat post rust to hide rust because it's the cheapest way to hide it. It just won't last long or work for actual prevention if there was rust under the undercoat already. You should be able to tell if the car really came from Florida one year ago by the service records or carfax. The carfax will show when the car got transferred from Florida to Ohio but it's easy enough to lie about that and have a car with Florida plates in ohio.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Are there any particular places to check for the onset of rust that won't be covered up by undercoating?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

willroc7 posted:

Can one mild winter do that much damage? He claims to have bought the car last year from a 70yr old woman in florida. If it's really rust free, even if the suspension is shot and the timing needs to be done, isn't it still a good price with a hardtop? Most cars around here are rusted to hell and back. He claims to be planning to use the money to build a urs4. Seems like good car people to me.

Assume that the seller is lying about everything until proven otherwise.

If you're not doing the timing belt yourself, it's about $600. Depending on what you need to replace in the suspension, could be $1000 in parts alone.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

willroc7 posted:

Go look at the car before following a billion people's assumptions on a 100 word ad with a couple lovely pictures. If you don't do it now, it will be gone. Personally I'd hold out for a 1.8 (since even that is slower than balls) but the hard top is nice to have for sure. I'd say it's a tiny bit overpriced maybe based on the miles but who knows what the maintenance history is like until you talk to the guy.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
If you believe Craigslist, every car came from Florida and was driven by grandma to church. Grandma really had a thing for small Japanese roadsters, and she made sure to have a matching hardtop!

It's always Florida.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I live in florida and my NA came from Hawaii :hurr:. Does any miata just stay in place?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I bought a Miata in Florida that was from Ohio like a dumbass (owners said it was a FL car), didn't realize it until after I bought it, ran a carfax and whaddayouknow.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

blk posted:

The new ND looks ama

:frogout:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poxin posted:

Miata RF. Wasn't expecting the hard-top version to look like this:

Here's a video of the roof in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5B5n_ncdIs

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I live in florida and my NA came from Hawaii :hurr:. Does any miata just stay in place?

I imported my current one from California which came there by way of Arizona and my previous one was imported from Texas. Even never driving in the winter New England still makes them rust after a few years from the leftover salt on the roads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is very much my poo poo. It looks like they didn't even sacrifice much trunk space to do it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's beautiful. :flashfap:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is very much my poo poo. It looks like they didn't even sacrifice much trunk space to do it.

They didn't sacrifice any. You just lose the storage compartments behind the seat, just like on the PRHT nc

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
CarsTechnica article is up. I don't think there's anything there we haven't seen or heard yet, but it's a nice overview.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is this bad?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know why I'm surprised I saw 124s on the production line.

I do like the headlights, the hood and silver windshield trim is hot garbage.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

Is this bad?

Hey, look at the bright side: now you have an excuse to get an AGM battery! :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Excuse me, something came up. I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/post-your-diy-aero-pics-63769/page53/#post1319048

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks a lot like the hardtop I've seen on a NC parked near work on a regular basis - and at least for that NC, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Give me the RF, or ideally some lighter weight version with the mechanism removed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think that's just the prototype, but if it's anything like the Treasure Coast top, I might just wait... for a long while.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised I saw 124s on the production line.

I do like the headlights, the hood and silver windshield trim is hot garbage.
Yeah I saw a handful parked in the lot when I was there. It's a great car for people who wanted a convertible Ford Fusion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That looks a lot like the hardtop I've seen on a NC parked near work on a regular basis - and at least for that NC, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Give me the RF, or ideally some lighter weight version with the mechanism removed.

A ND with a snap out targa roof would be the best.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

I think that's just the prototype, but if it's anything like the Treasure Coast top, I might just wait... for a long while.

I know quite a few of the treasure coast guys and they told me to save up for the OEM one instead. Race miatas only.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A ND with a snap out targa roof would be the best.

I'd wager that the only place large enough in the ND to fit the targa is where they move it to in the RF, which would be pretty gnarly without a power roof.

Not like I'm buying a ND anyway, but drat I want one now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If the production version looks like the prototype version I'm going to have to convince my wife she needs a new Miata because that car is gorgeous.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If anybody is in the Philly area and wants a fuel filter for an NA its free if you pick it up. Brand new, just found in the garage.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Sadly, my 99 has finally died, with 180k on it. It started overheating and tldr is its got a coolant leak into the cylinders (no coolant underneath it or in the oil) and cross threaded spark plugs. So the engine is totally dead, the transmission felt like it wasn't too healthy, and there were lots of "this part is pretty worn but it still works" type things that you'd expect with a car that has 180k miles on it. My question is, whats the best way to get rid of this? I'm assuming its pretty much gonna be (best case) a parts car for someone or (more likely) just sold as scrap. Where's a good place to start figuring out what it'd be worth? Any and all advice related to scrapping/selling for parts is appreciated, since I've never dealt with getting rid of a dead car before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If it's a clean shell you should just figure out what forum the local Spec Miata racers are on.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Torsen diff? Post as rolling shell on miata turbo, CR, etc?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My headlight bulb is seized onto connector? Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Finally got my $600 1.8 swapped basket case Miata up and running.

https://imgur.com/a/oGSNx for pics

Overall I'm happy with how this car turned out, especially with the Home Depot $9 paint job.

We did the following to the car:

-Installed prothane polyurethane bushings on all control arms, sway bar end links, and diff mounts

-swapped out the stock blown shocks / incorrectly installed ebay coilover sleeves with tokiko blue shocks, FM gen 1 springs, and Fat cat motorsports modified NB top hats and FCM bumpstops

-kept the thicker aftermarket front sway bar that came with the car

-Replaced blown motor mounts with Mazda Competition motor mounts

- 3/4 corners were 1.8 brakes, but the drivers side front was 1.6. I completed the 1.8 brake swap by buying the bracket on ebay.

-new NAPA 1.8 rotors and brake pads

-SS brake lines front and rear

-swapped out the stock VLSD with the shimmed VLSD I had on my red Miata

-took out the torn NB leather seats and replaced it with a bride knockoff bucket seat, and a stock NA seat for the passenger side

-replaced steering wheel with a 350mm mazdaspeed wheel I had from my red Miata, and installed a NRG quick release

-spray painted it with several 99 cent spray paint cans from Home Depot

We took it drifting at Willow Springs already and there were no major problems.

Next tasks will be swapping out the non working power windows with manual windows, and gluing back on the rear glass window