Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
drat that drive on 18 looks like hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Bill Barber posted:

Someone post that Deadspin(?) teardown of the Masters from a few years ago about just how creepily fake and calculated the whole experience is.
http://deadspin.com/how-augusta-national-became-golfs-north-korea-1709794444

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

Someone post that Deadspin(?) teardown of the Masters from a few years ago about just how creepily fake and calculated the whole experience is.
I was just looking at it earlier: http://deadspin.com/how-augusta-national-became-golfs-north-korea-1709794444

edit: ^ motherfucker :argh:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Uh oh, Reed with an Eagle. Puts him at -3 for the day through 8. Keep it up Patrick.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Apparently it's all the fault of noted scumbag Clifford Roberts, as this story about Bobby Jones IV says: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/masters-bobby-jones-grandson-remembers-his-grandfather?simple=1

Golf Mag posted:

The Jones-Roberts relationship was symbiotic in its early years, respectful in its middle ones and, as Dr. Jones understood it from his parents and grandparents, terribly strained in its final act. Dr. Jones tells an amusing story in which his mother shamed Roberts, a man not easily shamed, into making corn bread available at Augusta National, despite his objection to it. Durkee’s Famous Sauce, the same. The subtext to these family stories is an antipathy rooted in competing Cliff-­Bobby agendas.

“In the last 10 years of my grandfather’s life, Cliff was accumulating power,” Dr. Jones said. “In the mid-’60s, when my grandfather wanted my father named as club president, Cliff preempted him. He had the board name my grand­father President in Perpetuity. He despised that title. Cliff tried to get my father to resign from the club. He brought him into his office and berated him, in front of another member, and tried to get him to quit. The way Cliff Roberts treated my dad just frosted my grandfather.”

Jones died on Dec. 18, 1971, at age 69. (He converted to Catholicism three days before his death, a comment not on his own spirituality but his desire to please his wife.) Roberts didn’t attend the funeral. It was for family only. “But if he got his feelings hurt, my grandmother would have seen that as a fringe benefit,” Dr. Jones said with a wry smile.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Daric posted:

Yeah, after a lot of groups are already done. It just doesn't make any sense. You have the whole golf channel and the only thing they can do is show that Spieth putting video 3 times over the course of a couple hours while golf is actually being played?

That's the problem with the masters it's locked to a rival network so Golf Channel can only show highlights like everyone else. Coverage should start on like ESPN2 at 9am for a major like this though. Even weekend coverage doesn't start until 2 just before all the leaders tee off.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Justin Rose looks like a discount Bond villain

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Yup, poo poo like this is why I will always prefer the US and British Opens.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Beautiful putt for Jordan

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

It really helps that Casey and DeRambo are both locked-in, group looks extremely focused compared to that riff raff earlier today

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

The PGA is coming here to STL in two years, and if my experience at the Senior PGA that was here a couple years back is any indication (the parking lot was at an outdoor music venue, and half the people I saw there were either tailgating or outright pounding beers on the bus that took you to Bellerive) not only will it be the Anti-Masters (which is both a good and bad thing), it'll be awesome.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

What course will they be playing at in STL?

E: oh nvm bellerive, never played it...

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I'm already fired up for the 2017 PGA Championship @ Quail Hollow. Going to get wrecked in a parking lot and then ride the bus in. Charlotte is like the tailgate everything capital of the USA.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Rory just drained a ridiculous putt for birdie on 16. Weekend could be interesting.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Phil just left one in the bunker, heh.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lol at Phil

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Can't a guy just leave an egg salad sandwich in peace?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

It's gonna attract the coons, Tom!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

DeChambau is pretty good tbh

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

EnsGDT posted:

Its a shame because Augusta is purdy as hell and I like seeing golf played on it but the theres this super creepy, uncomfortable feeling to everything.

I think streakers and stuff are dumb but id love some hippy dude to run out naked on the 18th purely for the catharsis of it + maybe Jim nantz will finally have a heart attack and go away

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

That sounds so good right now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bryson almost wearing Georgia Tech colors today.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

This course is loving devouring people. McIlroy is god knows where on 18 lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dutchy posted:

Its a shame because Augusta is purdy as hell and I like seeing golf played on it but the theres this super creepy, uncomfortable feeling to everything.

I think streakers and stuff are dumb but id love some hippy dude to run out naked on the 18th purely for the catharsis of it + maybe Jim nantz will finally have a heart attack and go away

It's a private club that is free to make its own rules. If you think the rules are "creepy" then don't go to or watch the event.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Remember when McIlroy hit a cabin that one year? Lol

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Jesus Oosthi get your poo poo together.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rory back near the fairway, could have been much worse

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Mickelson just two putt from within five feet

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Mickelson just missed a two footer lol

Twice!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Phil's not making the cut. No way he gets through 10, 11, 12 unscathed

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Interesting. In that article it mentions:

"He himself was run down and nearly evicted from the premises for the crime of ducking under a rope near a putting green to cross a forbidden expanse of five feet"

This happened to me at the Masters when I was a 13 year old with my dad. Last day of the tournament and we were walking by some hole that everyone had played through and it seemed like there were zero people around. We ducked under the ropes that lined the player path to the tee box (not even on the playable course) and some old white dudes emerged from the woods and just berated us for like 5 minutes and threatened to kick us out and ban us for life.

And I mean they were mean about it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jordan is not pleased

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jordan is not pleased
He should stop playing so slowly if he doesn't want to be timed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

He should stop playing so slowly if he doesn't want to be timed.

They're over a hole behind, gently caress em.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

They're over a hole behind, gently caress em.
Yeah, he's definitely the slowest one in the group.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Interesting. In that article it mentions:

"He himself was run down and nearly evicted from the premises for the crime of ducking under a rope near a putting green to cross a forbidden expanse of five feet"

This happened to me at the Masters when I was a 13 year old with my dad. Last day of the tournament and we were walking by some hole that everyone had played through and it seemed like there were zero people around. We ducked under the ropes that lined the player path to the tee box (not even on the playable course) and some old white dudes emerged from the woods and just berated us for like 5 minutes and threatened to kick us out and ban us for life.

And I mean they were mean about it.

So you went somewhere you shouldn't have and got yelled at for it, boo hoo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Just start sprinting to the tee box

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I have a pretty good feeling Oosthi is gonna miss the cut.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shrapnig posted:

So you went somewhere you shouldn't have and got yelled at for it, boo hoo.

I mean you would have to be there, but it was a full on "screaming at us for 5 minutes and threatening to ban us for life" for simply walking over the player path so, yeah, I think it was quite over the line. Considering at ANY OTHER TOURNAMENT at *most* you'd get a "don't do that" and that likely wouldn't happen when the tournament was over and nobody was playing the hole.

We didn't take off across the course. We walked over a 3 foot patch of grass behind the tee box.

Now that deadspin article puts it all in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DeChambeau is gonna be good on Tour.

• Locked thread