Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Here's the interview for anyone interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL88b9A2ySE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'd love to have a few drinks with James Spader and just talk.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm marginally convinced that the monologues he delivers as Red aren't scripted, and they just happened to film him talking off the cuff.

The egg story he told on Conan remains the weirdest interview I've ever seen.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

quote:

It looks like NBC has decided to finally send a little spinoff love somewhere other than Dick Wolf’s Chicago Whatever series for once, as Deadline is reporting that the network is developing a spinoff to its hit drama series The Blacklist. Details about the spinoff are pretty light, but it will star Famke Janssen in a role similar to the one that James Spader’s Raymond “Red” Reddington plays on vanilla Blacklist, which is to say that she’ll probably be a bad lady who wears a hat and uses her bad lady knowledge to help good people stop other bad people. Janssen’s character will be named Susan “Scottie” Halsted, because nicknames are required in the Blacklist universe, and she’ll work with The Blacklist’s Ryan Eggold (Tom) in the same way that Spader’s character works with Megan Boone’s Liz in the normal show. Deadline also says that The Blacklist’s Edi Gathegi (he plays Matias Solomon) will also make the jump to the new show if it gets picked up.

Janssen will be introduced in The Blacklist’s May 12 episode, which will act as a backdoor pilot for this new series, and Deadline expects NBC to decide whether or not it will pick up this spinoff for a full series order before that. If it doesn’t, the pilot will remain a weird, self-contained adventure like that one episode of The Office that was all about Dwight’s family.
http://www.avclub.com/article/famke-janssen-star-blacklist-spinoff-nbc-234525

It's like NBC don't understand the appeal of The Blacklist at all. The Blacklist without Spader? Pass.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

blunt posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/famke-janssen-star-blacklist-spinoff-nbc-234525

It's like NBC don't understand the appeal of The Blacklist at all. The Blacklist without Spader? Pass.

On the other hand, Famke is attractive, speaks something like four languages, and could pull this off. I could go for a show where we follow a grown-up Sydney Bristow character who isn't constantly having to rely on Mommy and Daddy (or her love interest) to save her when she gets in over her head (which sounds familiar). Famke could very much pull off a Carmen Sandiego style show...the more likely eventuality is NBC fucks it up.

It does speak volumes that 'Tom' will factor in heavily in the new show.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whoever the blacklist got to do their special effects in seasons 1 and 2 apparently got hired by North Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2hUxBXDug

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hehehe oh my god she's soooo pregnant.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Evil Black Guy's going to steal a nuke! Quick, tell General Air Force Guy about it!"

"gently caress you, how we transport our cock analogs is no one's business, least of all yours."

"But the bad guys say they know your first convoy is a decoy, even though the safest way to move the loving thing would be in a plane."

"No one steals our dongs! And no, we can't transport it by plane because in this universe, nukes utilizing weapons-grade material evidently send out a shitload of ~deadly radiation~, so that's why we plan on transporting it on the NJ Turnpike...a heavily-traveled section of I-95 where you're almost assured of traffic snarls."

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

That ending... I love this lovely loving show.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Tom owns so this new show will be great :colbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Octy posted:

That ending... I love this lovely loving show.

disappointed Tom didn't stride past the car firing from the hip like a 20's gangster but yeah it was all awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Evil Black Guy's going to steal a nuke! Quick, tell General Air Force Guy about it!"

"gently caress you, how we transport our cock analogs is no one's business, least of all yours."

"But the bad guys say they know your first convoy is a decoy, even though the safest way to move the loving thing would be in a plane."

"No one steals our dongs! And no, we can't transport it by plane because in this universe, nukes utilizing weapons-grade material evidently send out a shitload of ~deadly radiation~, so that's why we plan on transporting it on the NJ Turnpike...a heavily-traveled section of I-95 where you're almost assured of traffic snarls."

"And this whole thing was an elaborate ruse anyway, we don't want the nuke, it's to distract everyone from the fact that we're actually just trying to kidnap an FBI consultant, no biggie"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part was them driving past the incoming cops at the end.

"Hey Walter, reports of shots fired from the church just up ahead, should we pull over that car with 'just married' on the off chance they were involved?"

"Shut they gently caress up Donnie, no one gets married in a church these days!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

"And this whole thing was an elaborate ruse anyway, we don't want the nuke, it's to distract everyone from the fact that we're actually just trying to kidnap an FBI consultant, no biggie"

"You know, if this were a television show, I'm sure we really would've just made the audience feel as if we'd wasted 60 minutes of their lives. Good thing it's not, right?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 9, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I was so ready to come in here and talk about how lovely this episode was but I couldn't stop laughing at the last 10 minutes. It's like this show is some kind of love letter to the worst of network broadcasting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Season 3 is just up on Netflix over here and I started watching it. Ugh, the loving manufactured drama around Ressler is loving annoying.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This episode featured Boz; this episode is good.

I do have a question, though, why is the amazing Spader-man is always outgunned? Red is a super-criminal, right? Why is it he only seems to have about half as many gunmen as he needs to win any given fight? I know that the real answer is ~DRAMA~ but has the show ever paused to give some one-off excuse for why Red only has, like, two or three henchmen?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 12, 2016

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I don't think reddington ever needed that much muscle. He is more of a broker of information and favors. I guess he can scrounge up some mercs in a moments notice, but his funding probably isn't near as substantial as the people/groups he's fighting.

Also, Boz is an amazing badass.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, also, he only figured out what was going on when it was all but too late. Chances are, he just couldn't scrounge up the needed muscle in time. Mr. Bad Guy, on the other hand, had a big head start.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This episode is approaching Shoot 'Em Up over-the-topness.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
..... what the gently caress just happened? I mean I'm pretty sure Megan Boone is just taking a baby break due to the renewal, but that'll be some explanation for death faking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really want to believe they're taking a risk here writing-wise. The show has the potential to be so much more dramatically-compelling now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm refusing to get my hopes up that she's actually dead because the show might be better then and we can't have that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So, what are the odds that Lizzy is actually dead?

My guess is somewhere between 0% and 0.01%.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

So, what are the odds that Lizzy is actually dead?

My guess is somewhere between 0% and 0.01%.

They probably stole some of Nick Fury's "Tetrodotoxin *B*" from the Agents of SHIELD show.

That, or when they start hunting for ~Rombaldo~ artifacts, they'll find one that can bring her back from the dead.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Fixer lady who chided Red for being the source of Lizie's problems never left her side except for the van ride. I'm guessing she went rogue and injected her with some crazy Blacklist fake death formula, maybe working with Tom on it, maybe just doing her own thing because she's a fuggin' boss. She had possession of her body at the end.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 15, 2016

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Please be dead please be dead please be really dead.

Keen being dead would not only revitalize this show, but it would get rid of one of the two main sources of horrible side drama.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Keen is dead, the show becomes Raymond Reddington: Revengeance, and that is something that everyody probably wants to see.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to spoil this originally; correction has been made.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 15, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The only thing that makes me think she isn't dead (well, aside from knowledge of how most network television works) is Raymond's whole "no morgue, let our people handle this" bit. That and the very showy "fainting spell" thing he did struck me as suspicious.

I do kind of hope she is dead for real, even if I have no idea what the structure of the show would be at that point. It would provide a smoother exit for Tom if he goes to star on the spinoff. Except for the baby, I suppose.

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
What was again red said to her before they put her under exactly? something about kids being a joy and she mentioned her baby and he said no not the baby liz, I'm talking about you.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

crazy8 posted:

What was again red said to her before they put her under exactly? something about kids being a joy and she mentioned her baby and he said no not the baby liz, I'm talking about you.

Something like "The children the world almost breaks are the ones who end up saving it." She said she didn't want that for her baby, he said he was referring to Liz.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"We had to fake her death so the people hunting LIzzie would stop" is hard to believe because there were many moments where Red, the doctor and Mr Kaplan were emoting only for the camera - or for us. And Red thought he could protect her so when did he come up with that plan, to have her get in a car accident, get hurt, have emergency birth surgery when she was supposed to be getting married, etc ? Before going to the church?!

And, she'd still be off the show. They can't fake her death and then have her turn up at work the next week.

Gonz posted:

If Keen is dead, the show becomes Raymond Reddington: Revengeance, and that is something that everyody probably wants to see.
Yes, I'd be down for a season of Reddington On A Rampage. Instead of names in the Blacklist he goes after everyone he blames for her death.

(While Katarina Rostova hunts him down for being responsible for her daughter's demise?)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 15, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SPOILERS AHOY

http://i.imgur.com/1WTUJAX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uVM9pNO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XUjGyFz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0SeI0n8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/if036uZ.jpg

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

:dance:
Please be dead please be dead please be dead

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Guess I'll spoiler.

She's easily the weakest character in the show but there's no way she's actually dead. Definitely going with the "She faked her death in order to fool either the FBI, Raymond, her mom, or all of the above."

I'm leaning toward the "Raymond's sidekick faked it to get her away from him" as being the most plausible. She could have even hired the goons to hit the church to fool everyone.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Since she hasn't been cremated, I'm not convinced.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They could pull a "Landfill" and introduce her mysterious twin sister into the show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

They could pull a "Landfill" and introduce her mysterious twin sister into the show.

I would be OK with this if, and only if, they did it pretty much exactly like they did in the movie. Maybe with just a bit of extra emphasis on "... and we will never talk about me replacing her again; let's just go forward acting like I'm her because she never died."

Then, we wouldn't see the real Lizzy until the scene switches to London during Sweeps. ("Sweeps" is what the English call "spring cleaning" in England!)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I saw a little internet blurb just now that told me former American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson (remember her?) just had another child.

The child's name? Remington Alexander Blackstock.

I'm 90% certain that kid is a member of the Blacklist. Because that's a name from this show if I ever did hear one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Remington Alexander Blackstock is definitely a shadowy arms dealer that does business with any government for a price.

• Locked thread