Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it a good idea to teach kids social justice in spanish class
gently caress you
this is some :laffo: stuff
:zoid:
social justice is totes good :nutshot:
lol no :secondpost:
you are offending xir feelings and zim will be very upset
the teacher was foolish for doing what she did
that's a hot tamale of a question :boom:
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
remember how people were saying that it was going to be really funny when some of these social justice types enter the workforce?

behold!

http://www.wtsp.com/news/education/teacher-disciplined-for-asking-students-to-fill-out-privilege-form/121622647 posted:

Tampa teacher disciplined over 'privilege' form

Parents are outraged after their children had to fill out a form -- titled "How much privilege do you have?" -- during a Spanish class at Monroe Middle School.

Race and sex are two common questions students fill out on forms every year. But what about gender, sexual orientation or religion? Students at Monroe Middle had to do just that.

The form was handed out in a Spanish class to seventh- and eighth-graders by teacher, Yoselis Ramos. At the top, the form asked, "How much privilege do you have?"

The different categories included, "Race", "Skin Color", "Religion", "Sex", "Gender", Sexual Orientation", and "Disability."

Regina Stiles' daughter is in the class. When her daughter came to the "Disability" column, she had to reveal that she had ADHD.

"She has ADHD and apparently the teacher said there are some kids in this class that have ADHD, and ADHD is a mental illness, and that's why she circled that. To me ADHD is not a mental disability. It's something she has," says Stiles.

Other sections included religion and gender where kids were asked to circle "Cisgender," "Transgender" or "GenderQueer."

"She's 12. Some of these things should be taught at home," says Stiles.

After Stiles along with several other angry parents questioned school principal, Peter Megara he launched an investigation.

This is not a district form, this is a teacher-generated form and it was without principal consent and at the district level we do not collect that information," says Hillsborough County School Spokesperson Tanya Arja.

The students weren't required to turn in the forms. According to Arja, Yoselis says the goal was to teach them about persity and inequality through literature the students had been reading.

Yoselis has since been pulled from the classroom while the district looks into the issue. This is her first year in the Hillsborough County School District.

According to her LinkdIn profile, she says, "Knowledge means power. As a teacher, my desire is to empower students with the skills they need to be able to thrive, not only function, in our society. Those skills? Critical thinking, communication, empathy and logic through the Spanish language."

it's really funny that this actually happened. why someone would think talking about pansexuals and demigirls in a middle school spanish class is mystifying :iiam:, but it is very funny

here is the form in question, filled out:

and just for GBS, I made a clean version so all of us can fill out our privileges:

That Robot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i dont want to fill out paperwork. i guess that makes me privileged.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
como se dice <<genderqueer>> en espanol?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Which minority group with this thread pivot towards insulting? Let's watch...

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress you and gently caress your thread

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agag posted:

gently caress you too

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress me

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Agag posted:

I havent hosed with asians recently so thats my vote

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

The fact that the sheet was completely optional to turn in is pretty loving hilarious.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Agag posted:

people from the moon, that's who

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
im a black (dark black) sikh intersex genderqueer pansexual mentally disabled student that doesnt belive in labels and i find this highly offensive

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Enfield posted:

you're alright, enfield

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Enfield posted:

gently caress you too

Tough... but fair.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im having a meltdown

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Enfield posted:

im having a meltdown

not again

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Dios Mio

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Enfield posted:

Enfield posted:

gently caress you too

Enfield posted:

gently caress me

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
brb

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I didn't know that :zoid: was an emote. I like :zoid:. Thanks OP!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lol nice caredown dweeb

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Never tell anyone anything about yourself

I told the government I am a postbox in the middle of a field and refuse to give them a name because I ain't gonna get spied on by the fuckin illuminati ya dig?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Never tell anyone anything about yourself

I told the government I am a postbox in the middle of a field and refuse to give them a name because I ain't gonna get spied on by the fuckin illuminati ya dig?

wisdom

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the girl in intro Spanish with pink hair trying to start a discussion about why we have to assign gender to words.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*circles the box mark goon*

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Profondo Rosso posted:

lol nice caredown dweeb

gently caress you

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm the girl in intro Spanish with pink hair trying to start a discussion about why we have to assign gender to words.

ummm, are you trying to imply spanish is inferior to english? white privilege much?? wow, just wow. the farking superintendent is gonna hear about this just you wait

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
You ever had those little things floating past your vision?

Yeah those? Those are displays for when They are accessing your vision to record data.

You gotta dig that poo poo out with a needle, I can teach you how for like, five or six gold coins (I don't take money because it's covered in chemicals designed to mind control us)

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Hahaha, the sheer presumptuousness of assuming that kids would be cool about writing about their disabilities for irrelevant reasons.

Order the teacher to go through, say, the most cliched Southern debutante-style finishing school. When she complains, tell her that this is what it feels like to be force-fed what random busybodies think is right for other people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
uhh op you did a bad job making a version for gbs, here i made my own

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Ay caramba

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
wow, hosed up gender wasnt a slider. Can see why she was disciplined.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SurfaceDetail posted:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Sliders are racist because they were invented by white people, off to the gulag with ye

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
First we got crippled. Then that's offensive. Then it's handicapped. Alright, limited ability, p accurate. Then it goes back to disabled. No ability, a sack of jello. Even shitter than crippled or limited ability, but that's PC now. Then it's colored. Alright colored skin. Then you gotta say black because colored is offensive, as was negro before that. Black isn't accurate, nobody is actually black aside from Wesley snipes in the moonlight. Then it's African American. Well then what the hell do you call a black immigrant from Germany shithead?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Doc Friday posted:

I didn't know that :zoid: was an emote. I like :zoid:. Thanks OP!

you are very welcome :tipshat:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This would never have happened in latin class

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

PBS Newshour posted:

uhh op you did a bad job making a version for gbs, here i made my own

i know; im pretty poo poo at photoshop.

thank you for fixing it

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
any coherent concept of privilege requires a shared understanding of ethnic, gender, and class stratification/struggle

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

Slider implies all gender lies on the gender line when in reality there are infinitely more infinities of gender once you consider the imaginary aspect of gender and write all gender terms inclusive of their real and imaginary components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

:eyepop:

• Locked thread