Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

Yeah I agree. Seemed like he's poking fun at himself several times.

Bands was really good and a nice surprise. The sex scene with transgendered immortal thing was pretty funny, especially later when everyone is looking way Wayne as MeLaan is shifting into a guy and hes just like "What are you staring at??? I dress up as a girl all the time makes perfect sense to me that someone would dress up as a guy!". Not something I expected to see coming from Sanderson but I think that made it all the more amusing.

I thought Kandra were specifically Agender and not Transgendered? Very specific difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought Kandra were specifically Agender and not Transgendered? Very specific difference.

Genderfluid is probably the best term.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rumda posted:

Genderfluid is probably the best term.

Yeah some Kandra have preferred genders but since they don't reproduce naturally gender is strictly a social construct for them and most Kandra have no problem being whoever.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, I wouldn't say kandra are agender or even genderfluid as a whole: they definitely have a societal concept of gender, but unlike humans their physical appearance doesn't look like it factors into it. Maybe there are social cues / constructs for what a gendered True Body looks like, but when it comes to human bodies they don't seem to care. Like when Wayne dresses up, human bodies are one big costume for a kandra and whatever a kandra's internal sense of self is, it likely doesn't map onto a human body.

Sanderson can have an interesting take on sex / gender / gender roles at times, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out in the Stormlight series in particular. Like how did it come about that the (human) men are supposed to be illiterate war machines and the women are meant to be philosophical waifs.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mortanis posted:

Sanderson strikes me as a good enough author to think "What would this character say" regardless of his personal feelings, rather than "what should I make the character say to prove to my fans I'm not a stick in the mud". Like Wayne posing a question of incest. I didn't see it as Sanderson trying to make his books edgier or to push his own personal boundaries or the expectations of fans so much as, yeah, that's completely something Wayne would say.

Not saying he's not also having a joke at his own expense, though, just that I think his "character's voice" comes first.

I don't see any reason it can't be both? The incest thing was definitely pushing his normal boundaries, but I don't think he only did it because "hey look guys!" or anything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The first generation kandra started out as human and are probably pretty fixed in their preferred gender, namely the one they were before they were turned into kandra. They then taught the concept of gender to the later generations, who understandably are (on average) a lot more fluid about genders than the first generation.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

theres a bunch of poo poo ive totally forgotten about in wax + wayne 1, and stormlight archive too

its good that i get to reread those when the 3rd one comes out but its almost like going in blind because i forgot most of the plot

i like waynes bits with the bunny and the recurring walnuts

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mortanis posted:

Sanderson strikes me as a good enough author to think "What would this character say" regardless of his personal feelings, rather than "what should I make the character say to prove to my fans I'm not a stick in the mud". Like Wayne posing a question of incest. I didn't see it as Sanderson trying to make his books edgier or to push his own personal boundaries or the expectations of fans so much as, yeah, that's completely something Wayne would say.

Not saying he's not also having a joke at his own expense, though, just that I think his "character's voice" comes first.

He has spent a lot of time in the past on Writing Excuses talking about how to write outside your comfort zone - and he's getting better and better both at doing it and at poking fun at his own foibles with it.

Specifically, there was a good early episode that talked about religious people writing atheists and peaceable people writing warriors (as well as men writing women and vice versa).

It basically boiled down to 'research it, you lazy bastard, and when you think you've done enough research, do some more, then show it to someone of that group, then let them tear it to bits and do some MORE'.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah he's definitely at the point where he can say "This is what the character would say" now, but having seen his writing develop I know there was a time where he wouldn't have been able to write those conversations, or if he did they would have been transparently awkward and just wrong. Not that his dialogue doesn't still have problems, but he can have his characters say these things now because he's pushed himself in the past, and these examples themselves are chances to push himself further.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I asked for a copy of White Sand weeks ago but never got a reply. :smith: I guess he's busy making me feel inadequate as a writer.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I asked for a copy of White Sand weeks ago but never got a reply. :smith: I guess he's busy making me feel inadequate as a writer.

I bet he did it to spite you personally.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It took months before I received a copy. 2-3 at least. He won't forget about you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dreggon posted:

theres a bunch of poo poo ive totally forgotten about in wax + wayne 1, and stormlight archive too

its good that i get to reread those when the 3rd one comes out but its almost like going in blind because i forgot most of the plot

When I did a reread of Stormlight a little while back I skipped some stuff (like most of Shallan's early chapters because gently caress that stuff is boring). When book 3 is about to come out I'll probably do a refresher on book 2 to better remember names. Also book 2's Wrestlemania scene is pretty wonderful.

e: I'd ask him for a copy of White Sands but in 2-3 months it'll be out in ebook format so I'll just wait and buy it.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Dreggon posted:

Fwiw. Tor has a reread of Stormlight 1 and 2. Kinda of a cliff notes version of each. Definitely going to use it as a refresher before Stormlight 3.

http://www.tor.com/series/words-of-radiance-reread-on-torcom/

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just finished my re-read of stormlight 1 and 2 and now I need a new author...

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks, Anthony Ryan, Bernard Cornwell and some others but it just seems so average and has way more flaws than even Sanderson's early writings. I read that stuff and kinda enjoy it but it's still lacking something.

I liked Lightsong, so maybe it's just me and not those books.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Check out NK Jemisin's Fifth Season for some sweet fantasy worldbuilding. Also Library at Mount Char was amazing, but that's more urban fantasy.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks...

Did you read the light bringer series or his older work? The older stuff isn't that great but I loved his current series.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tahirovic posted:

It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks, Anthony Ryan, Bernard Cornwell and some others but it just seems so average and has way more flaws than even Sanderson's early writings. I read that stuff and kinda enjoy it but it's still lacking something.

I liked Lightsong, so maybe it's just me and not those books.

Did you find a list of incredibly mediocre authors somewhere that you felt you should work through?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Might be a weird suggestion, but try the webcomic Kill 6 Billion Demons. The world building reminds me of Sanderson, in that it is extremely elaborate, and it has an engaging plot and characters. It's a good read.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Mercury Hat posted:

Like how did it come about that the (human) men are supposed to be illiterate war machines and the women are meant to be philosophical waifs.

I'm not sure if it was in one of the books (I haven't read them in over a year), or if it was an interview, but the answer is that at least a couple hundred years ago, some philosopher wrote a book that was influential amongst the aristocracy. In it, the philosopher declared that any task that required two hands was for men, and men alone, and any task that required only one hand was for women, and women alone. Since reading and writing and math and such only require one hand, it's for women to do, and thus forbidden to men. This is also where the idea of the "safehand" came from... if women's work all only requires one hand, then the hand that's not needed can be kept tucked away out of sight in a sleeve.

Of course, this philosopher's book was only popular amongst the rich and the aristocracy. Lower class people don't think much of it. That said, cultural norms DO trickle down somewhat, particularly when you want to impress your boss or otherwise advance yourself.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

I just finished my re-read of stormlight 1 and 2 and now I need a new author...

If you haven't read Robin Hobb's books you should read her stuff. none of her worlds have the same sort of magic system stuff that Sanderson does, but the worldbuilding is really good.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

His assistant emailed it to me more than a month after I requested it, so it's probably still coming.

It'll be interesting to see what elements of the story he changes now that it's going to be released as a graphic novel.

mewse
May 2, 2006

senae posted:

If you haven't read Robin Hobb's books you should read her stuff. none of her worlds have the same sort of magic system stuff that Sanderson does, but the worldbuilding is really good.

Start with Assassin's Apprentice?

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

mewse posted:

Yep. Forewarning, people are really polarized about Robin Hobb's books. They either seem to love them or hate them. I personally loved it and some of the follow up trilogies, but YMMV.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

If Assasin's Apprentice doesn't grab you, you can check out the Soldier's Son trilogy, which is VERY different, and completely disconnected. The rest of her works take place in the same world.

She also does a lot of writing as Megan Lindholm (her real name) which tends to be lighter in tone and largely self contained.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I would suggest Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series of books. Fun magic and good world building.

I'll also second the Robin Hobb books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

senae posted:

If Assasin's Apprentice doesn't grab you, you can check out the Soldier's Son trilogy, which is VERY different, and completely disconnected. The rest of her works take place in the same world.

She also does a lot of writing as Megan Lindholm (her real name) which tends to be lighter in tone and largely self contained.

Liveship Traders is in the same world as Assassin's Apprentice and not directly tied to it (though events in both affect later books) and very good as well after the initial start. The best way I can put it is that for the first ~100ish pages everyone is an rear end in a top hat, an idiot, or a dumb kid and you just want to beat them all with a crowbar until your arms get tired.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

senae posted:

Technically also a pen name (Margaret) and I have no idea how you got 'lighter in tone' considering most of it's about domestic abuse

Evil Fluffy posted:

Liveship Traders is in the same world as Assassin's Apprentice and not directly tied to it (though events in both affect later books) and very good as well after the initial start. The best way I can put it is that for the first ~100ish pages everyone is an rear end in a top hat, an idiot, or a dumb kid and you just want to beat them all with a crowbar until your arms get tired.

Which to be fair, is the point. The biggest weakness of the trilogy in my mind is that the younger sister doesn't experience character development so much as being replaced by an entirely different character between chapters.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

mossyfisk posted:

Did you find a list of incredibly mediocre authors somewhere that you felt you should work through?

Amazon recommendations mostly, which is likely a bad system to pick books. It did lead me to Robin Hobb's Farseer books which I found OK.

One thing that stands out to me is that nobody manages to write a character like Mat from WoT. Shame Brandon can't do some post WoT book about him and Tuon.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Shame Brandon can't do some post WoT book about him and Tuon.

Even Brandon admits he miswrote Mat (but got better). I doubt he'd want to do material focusing on the character

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Technically also a pen name (Margaret) and I have no idea how you got 'lighter in tone' considering most of it's about domestic abuse

Didn't realize that!

and not going to lie, the only writing of her's I've read was the "collaboration" anthology she did between the two pen names and I remember the lindholm stories in that being fairly light (though there were some dark themes, I'm remembering mostly the tone, if that makes sense?)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tahirovic posted:

It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks
I think as mentioned, which series did you read? If you haven't, I'd recommend giving his Lightbringer series a go. It's a fun read and much better written than his first one (which I still enjoyed but probably couldn't recommend to the general populace in good faith since it's really sort of cliche-y male power fantasy that one might lap up as a teenager).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I really dig Lightbringer. Cool setting, interesting magic system, and each book has at least one jaw-dropping twist.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
After reading the last mistborn books, I've dived through:

Brian Ruckley's "The Free" and "The Edinburgh Dead"

Both are stand alone with some magic mixed in. The Free is about a young soldier following the last battles of a warband. The Edinburgh Dead is historical fiction with Frankenstein's monsters and a tenacious detective.

Justin Cronin's "The Passage" trilogy (the last book is not out yet).

American Apocalypse featuring Vampires. Kinda like "The Stand" but over a longer time frame and with more Stands.

Pierce Brown's "Red Rising" trilogy

A Luke Skywalker, who's people are unknowingly enslaved by higher castes, discovers the deception and joins the Rebellion as a high caste. The entire trilogy is a Space Opera mixed with The Hunger Games (first book only thank god) and Star Wars. First book was ok (lots of world building), but the second and third have some awesome battles, both in space and on land. I liked it so much I found myself rereading just the speeches in the last book.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Gardenator posted:

Pierce Brown's "Red Rising" trilogy

A Luke Skywalker, who's people are unknowingly enslaved by higher castes, discovers the deception and joins the Rebellion as a high caste. The entire trilogy is a Space Opera mixed with The Hunger Games (first book only thank god) and Star Wars. First book was ok (lots of world building), but the second and third have some awesome battles, both in space and on land. I liked it so much I found myself rereading just the speeches in the last book.

Can confirm. Red Rising is pretty drat awesome. I haven't read the last book because I don't want it to be over. :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rafikki posted:

Check out NK Jemisin's Fifth Season for some sweet fantasy worldbuilding. Also Library at Mount Char was amazing, but that's more urban fantasy.

Everybody in this thread needs to read Library at Mount Char if they haven't already.

Also nthing the Lightbringer series, Weeks has definitely improved over time and the books keep getting better as it goes.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Library At Mount Char owns so hard.

Red Rising is kind of poo poo. It's a comic book without pictures.

NK Jemisin is fantastic.

I'll check out the other stuff you mention though, The Gardenator.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I really enjoyed Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet. I liked the world and the magic system. The series follows one person, but each book is set years apart, so you see the ramifications of his actions over his entire life time. His follow up series, the Dagger and Coin is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Took the thread's advise and started reading Kill Six Billion Demons. Its pretty good! A really interesting mythology. Ill tag this even if its a very mild one; I love the whole "humans(?) came to heaven and fixed everything leading into a golden age by a combination of murder and rebuilding. Then slowly hosed everything up again." angle. :haw:

Also the drinking contest singing is wonderful. :allears: If anyone's on the fence like I was, just read it, its good.

Guess I better pickup "Library At Mount Char" too. ;)