Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, my bad

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lladre posted:

And you two come across as Derek shills.

The majority of people here don't really give a gently caress about his alleged predictions. From what I see he's been wrong as much as he's been right so he is the equivalent of an 80's weatherman.
As much as I think Derek is a complete blowhard egomaniac with a Napoleon complex, he does deserve some credit and owes this thread gently caress all, to be honest. He opened the floodgates that let a ton of goons get either all or some of their money out of this shitstorm, while you've just been whining that Derek isn't entertaining enough for you. Boo loving hoo.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

LMAO
Had a feeling Derek would tweet this

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

D_Smart posted:

The FBI and FTC are Federal agencies who would undoubtedly be involved depending on how/when this poo poo-show implodes. So my comment was that whales aren't likely to sit around waiting for the Feds to step in, given how long that could take, the fact that most of it won't be public etc.

Ah. Understood. I didn't think federal agencies would factor in if people just started getting chargebacks or started abandoning the game entirely or whatever.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

What the hell is going on here.

I am watching a video running at about 2 fps with "50 fps" written on the screen. What the gently caress is going on there?

You're watching a short lovely video stretched out so it fits a long lovely talk.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hey thanks to whoever bought AP the best of all possible avatars so I didn't have to!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
You see, they ran out of procedures, so they only had about 30 seconds of video footage to show.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Booblord Zagats posted:

When I was a little boy, maybe 9 years old, my great-uncle owned a shrimp boat out of Jacksonville FL. It was a modest ship, not even 50 ft long. We'd go for cruises on it and he'd just trawl a little with it and we'd dump the shrimp in to a few 50 gallon drums, good childhood summer memories of sunsets at sea and my dad and uncles teaching us how to rig nets and safely throw unwanted fish back to sea. But that day, when I was 9, my uncle told me a story from his own experience.

In the halcyon days of his youth he worked on a fishing boat out of Savannah GA right after he got back from serving as an electrician on a US Navy cruiser in WW2. The boat he was working on wasn't in the best shape, water would seep in from the glass on windy days, it would creak incessantly when the waves were hitting it on the sides with any real force and the engine was always making new shades of black and grey with the smoke pouring out of it in places that weren't the exhaust. My great uncle and the three other working hands on the boat told the owner/captain about it every day, telling him to take a day or two to pull the ship out and patch some spots, maybe check some seals on the windows and motor, flush out the entire engine. The man who captained the vessel said they were just belly aching, "So long as there's fish in the nets it's a good fishing ship" he'd tell them, verbatim. He said they were just trying to get extra time off to go blow their money and get drunk at the bars.

The crew just shrugged their shoulders and stayed on his payroll, each time the vessel would make scarier noises, spew darker smoke and leak more water than it did the last time but the captain kept it in the water because the nets were full. This went on for months until one morning, about three quarters of a mile from the dock the boat finally had its dramatic end. The engine belched a dark smoke and spewed fire out of the intake, catching the the engine room on fire, this fire quickly started to grow as rags and other material in the bay caught. The captain then tried to quickly point the ship back to the dock, but the fire must have weakened the structural integrity of the aft of the ship, because the engine bay popped a nice sized hole and the gushing water put the fire out, but quickly began to sink the ship. The men onboard quickly jumped in to the ocean and started swimming away toward the shoreline as the ship plunged methodically in to the early morning's dark ocean.

My great uncle said they spent almost an hour treading water in cold water waiting to be rescued, the Coast Guard finally showed up as the sun was clearing the horizon. All of them survived, the captain of the ship even got in a bit of trouble and had to pay a fine for the whole ordeal. My great uncle got on with a new ship a few days later, making sure the owner kept it in good shape.

As I look at this project and what EightAce, Derek and a few others report on it with their industry knowledge I'm reminded of my late and great uncle and this story he told us as we sat on the bow of his modest boat on that warm summer day. "Fish in the nets won't get you home safe"

Beautiful story.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

You see, they ran out of procedures, so they only had about 30 seconds of video footage to show.

I stomached 14 seconds :smug:

Bet none of you guys can beat me

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
My PC's power supply just went pow and began smelling of ozone right after I finished hand-watering 250 heads of cauliflower in Stardew >: [

Welp Fry's here I come I guess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In light of the recent streams, could Ben's face be shopped here?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Booourns posted:

Come on now you can't expect everyone to have something funny to say, why would you want to take away their childish insults, next you're gonna wanna take away their animal picture spam

The tactic here is to imply they are a furry and declare all pictures of cats as "deviant". A word used mainly by grandmas and goons.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

This is excellent.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

CrazyTolradi posted:

As much as I think Derek is a complete blowhard egomaniac with a Napoleon complex, he does deserve some credit and owes this thread gently caress all, to be honest. He opened the floodgates that let a ton of goons get either all or some of their money out of this shitstorm, while you've just been whining that Derek isn't entertaining enough for you. Boo loving hoo.

And we owe him just as much fucks. Which is none.
Your version of whining is your opinion and it's just as poo poo as my opinion, which is that it is boring.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Not just that, but since they are the architects of the tech, and having allegedly (they said this themselves IIRC) received an investment from RSI/CIG, we'd like to know

1) the nature of that investment, as it is material to backer money being spent

2) the accuracy of the data, how it is scrapped, were there any discussions about padding and/or doing any data manipulation to give the impression of financial health. That last bit is squarely in fraud territory btw.

I'm saying it again, when this poo poo-show collapses, given the web of companies, contractors etc who have been a part of it, all of it is going to be an absolute Gold mine of what happened, when, how - and who the players were

Hey Derek:

I can understand the skittishness about encrypted predictions and all the rest. Have you thought about registering a few domain names on the cheap-- using identity protection-- so you can dangle those after the fact and say "Called it!" Stuff maybe a little more specific than "ItsOverTheyreFuckedTheEnd.com"?

Seems like you could pick those up on the sly for cheap, then throw those back out as timestamped gotchas at a later date for the doubters.

I don't mind not getting specific exact predictions, personally.

I try to model out what seems probable based on what's knowable and then allow for possible complications that could dramatically alter the predictable trajectories. Some complications might force rapid downward revisions--- class action lawsuits, FTC prying, media exposés, pick your poison... Other scenarios might do the opposite-- stupid big investor takes a big private placement, bank with more money than sense offers massive credit line, Company X buys out the company, etc...

Declining baseline revenues contrasted against high fixed overhead costs (and unknowable but certain additional expenses) already paint a grim picture. Yes, there are means to temporarily inject cash via stimulation sales-- but the heart of CIG is diseased and weak. At some point, the gentle jolts of a pacemaker aren't enough because it's not an arrhythmia problem anymore. It's a heart attack problem. More and more, big ship sales feel like defibrillator paddles-- pulled out to shock a heart in terminal decay back to temporary life. Not a healthy place to be, but CIG has no one else to blame for the lifestyle choices that made them so organizationally unhealthy.

Anyhoo-- I don't mind not knowing the particulars of any behind-the-scenes chaos. There's a certain thrill in speculation solely from the knowable-- with allowances for the unknown surprise that really blows all the modeling apart. Your interjections, EightAce's, ATXSperg's-- they're all intriguing, infused as they are with suggestions of insider revelations that could CHANGE EVERYTHING.

I for one, don't doubt such things will come. I'm waiting for them to hit and blow apart the past models. But even if they don't, we know what sort of shape CIG is in. Barring unforeseen interventions, it feels like it's time to start crafting the eulogies.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I heard you don't like catte pics anymore, so here's a catte pic:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
they literally installed constellation doors into their office building.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
hi, i'm the dev at cig who has been working on 'procedural planets' for 3 years and have just discovered how to use a displacement map. ask me anything.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wrecked Angle posted:

hi, i'm the dev at cig who has been working on 'procedural planets' for 3 years and have just discovered how allowed by Chris to use a displacement map. ask me anything.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

redwalrus posted:

Well, I don't know about you guys but my confidence is restored. Project seems on a firmer footing all of a sudden.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile, in Enemy Starfighter:

https://twitter.com/tipul/status/718849632818700288

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I'm the CIG employee who utterly destroyed the bathroom with explosive diarrhea that one time. AMA

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

redwalrus posted:

love the expensive as gently caress dining room table. oh, and lol ben is fat (awww did that trigger you Booourns?)

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

redwalrus posted:

I'm the 55 year old man dressed as a 20 year old.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Explosions lack sufficient fidelity therefore game has failed.

Plus, you can see too much space through the cockpit. That ruins immersion.

Just another pretender to the throne, soon to be vanquished with the BDSSE arrives.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Goddamn does enemy starfighter look good.

SelenicMartian posted:

In light of the recent streams, could Ben's face be shopped here?

Uwehhhhh!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
does anyone remember the name of the site where they get all their office furniture from? I want to track down the cost of that dining room table.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agrajag posted:

does anyone remember the name of the site where they get all their office furniture from? I want to track down the cost of that dining room table.

Restoration Hardware

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Agrajag posted:

From last time it came up: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1870813&categoryId=cat3250041

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat2390447

Round table collection above- start matching!

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Thatd prob run around 1k assuming its from a normal supplier. Knowing CIG its some rare Amazonian wood soaked with the blood of the 3 pygmies it crushed while being cut down. Then painted black with Sherwin-Williams.

Edit: lol 2k

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SurfaceDetail posted:

Thatd prob run around 1k assuming its from a normal supplier. Knowing CIG its some rare Amazonian wood soaked with the blood of the 3 pygmies it crushed while being cut down. Then painted black with Sherwin-Williams.

Salvaged Wood X-Base Collection Starting At $2595

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Sweet christ, what kind of space metal are those chairs made out of? Unobtanium? Dark star matter? How is it holding up Ben? And why has he seemingly regressed from having his fingers on backwards to now having an entire arm looking like it's dislocated or otherwise distended?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Does look about right.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

CrazyTolradi posted:

idk He'd probably just be a lone crazy man shouting "Hey everyone I know a secret but I can't tell you!" if it wasn't for people here actually participating with him. And I don't think anyone is whining about him not being entertaining enough more than it's kind of aggravating to see "Hey GUYS! Soon!" and "Heh I know secrets so don't be mean to me."

It's a give-and-take imo

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

runsamok posted:

Sweet christ, what kind of space metal are those chairs made out of? Unobtanium? Dark star matter? How is it holding up Ben? And why has he seemingly regressed from having his fingers on backwards to now having an entire arm looking like it's dislocated or otherwise distended?

That's not an arm, it's a leg with a small foot. Look at the thing. LOOK AT IT.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

runsamok posted:

They look like the kind of surplus chairs you find in old federal buildings from the 50s. They're basically indestructible.

Knowing Sandi she paid $500 each for them.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

SurfaceDetail posted:

I'm the 55 year old man dressed as a 20 year old.

Sandi is a woman

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Atreiden posted:

Sandi is a woman

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

To make up for my low-effort Ben mocking, please have a picture of a kitten I took once.

E: I may have posted that before, so here's a piggeh too

runsamok fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread