Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
lol 2-2.3k for the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Hmm, we can get a metal card table that size at Walmart for $30 or get a designer organic table for 3k. No happy medium.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Haskell9 posted:

hand-watering 250 heads of cauliflower in Stardew >: [

you do this in a game? without getting paid?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SurfaceDetail posted:

Hmm, we can get a metal card table that size at Walmart for $30 or get a designer organic table for 3k. No happy medium.

do you not understand anything about productivity? without a $2.3k table employees won't be able to develop the game from being too depressed at the ugly work environment. (real excuse from backers)

too bad those chairs aren't on that site.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

redwalrus posted:

they literally installed constellation doors into their office building.

Man they should have called Basement Constellation Guy. He could have set them up with some spray-painted pocket doors for like 1/10th of the cost.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I get getting an expensive table for the conference room where you want to impress big shots etc but its the fuckin breakroom.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SurfaceDetail posted:

I get getting an expensive table for the conference room where you want to impress big shots etc but its the fuckin breakroom.

imagine how much their conference room table costs if they spend $2k+ on a break room/dining room table.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
How many of those wall-sized murals has CIG LA printed, I wonder... (They're $2000 for each 30'x10' banner-- and it sounds like several grace the walls at CIG LA.)

Here's one we've not seen (generated in Maya). Apparently it's mounted in the office somewhere.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

How many of those wall-sized murals has CIG LA printed, I wonder...

Here's one we've not seen (generated in Maya). Apparently it's mounted in the office somewhere.

It can't be a good thing that I can't tell if I'm looking at the back or the front of those things.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

SurfaceDetail posted:

Because then their little behind-the-scenes sneak peeks wouldn't look as good, and it wouldn't make a good impression on the whales when they come for tours.

I know you don't understand marketing, I mean, have you been one of the world's best marketers, ever since you were a little girl?

I. Think. Not.

Checkmate. Ipso facto. The defence rests. Over & out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sunswipe posted:

It can't be a good thing that I can't tell if I'm looking at the back or the front of those things.
Ha- true.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
I wonder the day they go bankrupt if they will do a public sale or something.
I see hordes of backers tearing down the walls en running like crazy with the chairs etc.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I will admit that these coil stools are pretty cool. Not $500 cool, but still cool.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

redwalrus posted:

I'm the camera in the break-room to make sure no one goes postal

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sappo569 posted:

I'm the camera in the break-room to make sure no one goes postal

And monitoring their conversations. Gotta spot those leavers and traitors. :tinfoil:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will admit that these coil stools are pretty cool. Not $500 cool, but still cool.

That's pretty much RH in a nutshell - much of their stuff is cool but not exorbitantly-priced cool.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

In light of the recent streams, could Ben's face be shopped here?

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 9, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is a bulldozer's recoil spring. Literally like 20$ brand new. Probably sold at scrap steel prices at the junkyard, so less than a dollar each.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

orcinus posted:

What does it do?

it summons evil

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:stare:
The eyes make the face a leather mask.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Those stools are only two feet high so they are basically children sized.

I think I would pay 500 to watch a video trying to sit on one.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

spacetoaster posted:

That is a bulldozer's recoil spring. Literally like 20$ brand new. Probably sold at scrap steel prices at the junkyard, so less than a dollar each.

Yea I've seen poo poo like that at the scrapyard. Dust off a few straight ones, bolt a flat panel on top, paint it, have a fancy designer brand name, and rake in 500 bucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

redwalrus posted:

Jesus loving christ that man is fat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah like I don't like to poke fun at that but holy poo poo that's really bad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What are the chances any of Ryan Archers' handi work is included in those massive murals?

Would be hilarious for them find out their mural is one big massive copyright infringement

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
The banner ad on the last 3 pages has been for that RH furniture website. Skynet has come online.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Has Ben ever been seen in public without a sugary beverage nearby?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
You know how when you think about it you are rarely more than 6 feet from your cell phone (and a dozen spiders), its like that with coke for him.

And Chris

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I wonder the day they go bankrupt if they will do a public sale or something.
I see hordes of backers tearing down the walls en running like crazy with the chairs etc.

I'd pick up a few monitors. They have some good ones.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Has Ben ever been seen in public without a sugary beverage nearby?

May not be his fault, it could just be his gravitational pull attracting unsecured small objects.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

Almost 3 years following this and I'm not sure if that's photoshopped or not.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Hey Derek:

I can understand the skittishness about encrypted predictions and all the rest. Have you thought about registering a few domain names on the cheap-- using identity protection-- so you can dangle those after the fact and say "Called it!" Stuff maybe a little more specific than "ItsOverTheyreFuckedTheEnd.com"?

Seems like you could pick those up on the sly for cheap, then throw those back out as timestamped gotchas at a later date for the doubters.

I don't mind not getting specific exact predictions, personally.

I try to model out what seems probable based on what's knowable and then allow for possible complications that could dramatically alter the predictable trajectories. Some complications might force rapid downward revisions--- class action lawsuits, FTC prying, media exposés, pick your poison... Other scenarios might do the opposite-- stupid big investor takes a big private placement, bank with more money than sense offers massive credit line, Company X buys out the company, etc...

Declining baseline revenues contrasted against high fixed overhead costs (and unknowable but certain additional expenses) already paint a grim picture. Yes, there are means to temporarily inject cash via stimulation sales-- but the heart of CIG is diseased and weak. At some point, the gentle jolts of a pacemaker aren't enough because it's not an arrhythmia problem anymore. It's a heart attack problem. More and more, big ship sales feel like defibrillator paddles-- pulled out to shock a heart in terminal decay back to temporary life. Not a healthy place to be, but CIG has no one else to blame for the lifestyle choices that made them so organizationally unhealthy.

Anyhoo-- I don't mind not knowing the particulars of any behind-the-scenes chaos. There's a certain thrill in speculation solely from the knowable-- with allowances for the unknown surprise that really blows all the modeling apart. Your interjections, EightAce's, ATXSperg's-- they're all intriguing, infused as they are with suggestions of insider revelations that could CHANGE EVERYTHING.

I for one, don't doubt such things will come. I'm waiting for them to hit and blow apart the past models. But even if they don't, we know what sort of shape CIG is in. Barring unforeseen interventions, it feels like it's time to start crafting the eulogies.

I was thinking about the reason for derek to avoid this kind of proof and then it hit me: this is Derek loving Smart. Like, he gives negative shits about us or anybody believing him or not. He doesn't even need to be right as long as he can say that he was right (and, as soon as he says it he'll be right in his mind). So, why would he go thru any kind of effort if the result is going to be the same?

I can respect that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

remember to stay in touch with your family and try to maintain a good relationship with them. you only get one life so its a good idea to try and live it well

I hope you're happy. I actually emailed my mom last night (she lives out of state).

drat you, everything is FINE!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

runsamok posted:

Sweet christ, what kind of space metal are those chairs made out of? Unobtanium? Dark star matter? How is it holding up Ben? And why has he seemingly regressed from having his fingers on backwards to now having an entire arm looking like it's dislocated or otherwise distended?

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. :argh:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Had to be done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

runsamok posted:

Sweet christ, what kind of space metal are those chairs made out of? Unobtanium? Dark star matter? How is it holding up Ben? And why has he seemingly regressed from having his fingers on backwards to now having an entire arm looking like it's dislocated or otherwise distended?

It is the same alloy that was used in the construction of the Spitfire Jet Fighter.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

sneaky bastard

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

you know what i love to see when i go into work? the nasty feet of my coworkers, or in this case my boss, in my face.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

Orks don't 'ovva

And wiv noze Kantumm Driiv, dey cantz go FASTA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

What the hell is going on here.

I am watching a video running at about 2 fps with "50 fps" written on the screen. What the gently caress is going on there?

Wait! It's gets better...

It looks NOTHING like this fake poo poo they put together, and which I called them out on back in December

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2005

quote:

Note that the procedural generated planets was a $41m stretch goal that was for “future iterations of Star Citizen”

Just another piece of tech which, like VR, Star Marine etc will never see the light of day.

Of course the crazies are lapping it all up, trying to make comparisons to ED:Horizons (a released, and working game btw) etc.

I know better. As do some of the people who, like me, have actually worked on this sort of technology before.

It’s nothing more than a glorified CryEngine mod. In fact, there is a tutorial on how to do it, as well as an entire thesis paper on it.

All they did was take the Nyx mining base and put it in the middle of a proc gen height map. Any graphics engineer can clearly see the discrepancy between that base and the height map around it.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/677268390743040000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ck049Bg_I

• Locked thread