Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm quite proud of my little colony here. 6 colonists, soon to be 7. Got myself two grizzly bears and a cougar, though my brave Yorkshire Terrier ripped out 3 tribesmens throats before getting killed by friendly fire. R.I.P Babette, we hardly knew ye.

Your freezer is way to small to warrant 4 coolers! 2 is enough for a 10x10 room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played in a while and I notice certain things require "components" now...how do I get/make those?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Tsyni posted:

I haven't played in a while and I notice certain things require "components" now...how do I get/make those?

You can deconstruct ship chunks that spawn around the map(they fall from the sky occasionally), and mine compacted machinery. If you get a high tech research bench + a multi-analyzer, you can craft them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drink Cheerwine posted:

yeah, that's always annoyed me too. so i just made a tiny mod for us

http://www.filedropper.com/efficientlight

drops the draw from 150 to 25

:swoon:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Awesome, thanks for this!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Randy Random is the best story teller. Cassandra's super predictable constant ramp is annoying, Randy Random is much closer to the OG dwarf fortress experience.

So far I've had some really close calls but survived, which doesn't really happen with Cassandra because it just heaps poo poo on you until you die.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Losing tons of people to disease. I had a great shooter in till the malaria took him. Then I have a male who hates females who beats up the only woman in the base. A reverse gay basher.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I play this on my laptop sometimes when I'm watching stuff with lots of commercials (i.e sports), and tend to do Phoebe on the second lowest setting so I don't need to pay a ton of attention, and man she isn't being very chillax with this colony.

One of my guys has parasites, malaria, flu, and the plague right now. Of my 8 colonists one isn't sick, and only two others only have one thing wrong with them. Not even a jungle tile.

Chill out Phoebe :ohdear:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just fought off bugs!, they were brutal.

It feels like they give you more guns now, it might be better not to gently caress with the bugs in their mountain. I have like 3 guys running around with sniper rifles in the second year.

Will most likely lose my new shooter to illness from the bugs. And mechs dropped in my base behind the killbox and killed the pet cat!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 9, 2016

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Tenzarin posted:

Just fought off bugs!, they were brutal.

It feels like they give you more guns now, it might be better not to gently caress with the bugs in their mountain. I have like 3 guys running around with sniper rifles in the second year.

Will most likely lose my new shooter to illness from the bugs. And mechs dropped in my base behind the killbox and killed the pet cat!

The mechanic enemies really ruins it for me, they are very bullet spongey while dealing huge amount of damages. If that is what you call the bugs.

Also, replace your pet cat with a pet grizzly or cougar.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
My favourite new disease so far is the one that floods a colonist's system with tiny mechanoids and actually enhances their abilities, though at the cost of being in constant pain.

In other news, my horde of starving cats (playing on extreme desert where it's very hard to get meat) just rushed the killbox and devoured the dead pirates there. One of them - a kitten - ate a raider's head whole. gently caress.

Think I'm going to butcher them all, though, because gently caress is all that constant meowing ear torture.

Dunno-Lars posted:

The mechanic enemies really ruins it for me, they are very bullet spongey while dealing huge amount of damages. If that is what you call the bugs.

Pretty sure he's talking about the big arachnids (they're called megaspiders or something like that) that pop up out of the ground inside mountains. They're pretty tough but not quite as bad as the mechanaoids.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Swedish Horror posted:

I haven't had much time to look through all the new stuff, can colonists be gay?

This guy just joined my colony

So that'd be a yes. Neurotic and volatile though, weeee, this should get funny in a hurry.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ratzap posted:

So that'd be a yes. Neurotic and volatile though, weeee, this should get funny in a hurry.

the gooniest colonist

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tenzarin posted:

Your freezer is way to small to warrant 4 coolers! 2 is enough for a 10x10 room!

It's really warm at the moment, and I like very cold freezers. I turn them off and on as I need them, and like to expand the freezer over time.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just put your main corpse storage next to your animal areas, and your dogs, cats and other omnivores will happily eat bits off them with no loss of morale to your colonists other than the normal "Seen a corpse" mood effect. Saves having to feed animals properly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's more nutritious to make kibble out of the corpses, that's what I've been doing and it's worked out alright for me so far.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh good there's a mood debuff colony-wide for butchering a human :sigh: can't get away with nothin' anymore

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Just a note: if anyone is playing with Colony Manager, Efficient Light has to be loaded before it. Otherwise you'll be unable to build any chairs.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ratzap posted:

That's a little too self aware to be a kick starter backer, but just maybe...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The bugs are BACK!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Definitely needs to be a flamethrower in the base game to deal with that if there isn't already, somewhere between the molotovs and incendiary launcher.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They are back again! I think I either need to save scum or never build in a mountain!

Its a combo of the health, they all are melee, and they jump right past the kill box! Would prob be easy to deal with inside a strip mine where you dont make alot of sharp corners.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 9, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Welp, just recruited an attacking pirate and I hadn't noticed he dislikes women. He hates half the colony and the feeling is mutual (I think because they have social maluses because he shot them in is raid.)

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 9, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I recommend, for dealing with the bugs, you build a bunch of coolers with the hot end going towards them. That way, you can bake them without having to fight.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

They are back again! I think I either need to save scum or never build in a mountain!

Its a combo of the health, they all are melee, and they jump right past the kill box! Would prob be easy to deal with inside a strip mine where you dont make alot of sharp corners.

I locked the door and set the nearest flammable thing on fire. Let the ensuing inferno deal with them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will insects spawn on constructed floors?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do you want ants? Because this is how you get ants!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
NINE Yorkshire Terriers just randomly decided to join my colony. On their way to my base they decided to fight a bear.

So now I have EIGHT terriers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Demiurge4 posted:

yes, happily. then they'll eat through your walls and kill your people. Last hive spawned in the middle of the night in a colonist's room and he didn't even survive long enough to leave his bed tile.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

If I had to guess the condition is probably 'overhead mountain' on a tile.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Trying a log cabin settlement now, to try to get away from the mountains and a single killbox on chillax rough.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I came across an interesting bug. One of my colonists had the plague so I confined him to a bed. While he was recuperating his fiancee decided that was the time for them to get married. Everyone shows up but the sick colonist. The marriage cannot be performed and I watch everyone starve to death.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Here's the state of my rough chillax village after about two years:

Everything is outside except for the tombs where my six dead colonists are. The bunker going into the hill was mostly something I built while everyone was trapped inside during a toxic fallout event that lasted a few weeks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Trying a log cabin settlement now, to try to get away from the mountains and a single killbox on chillax rough.

This is how I like to play. Turrets are boring, but with how raids ramp up you're going to need them unless you get lucky with lots of fighty colonists. I find it way more fun to have my colonists deal with it, which kind of means needing to turn down the difficulty so I don't have huge loving raids after the first few seasons.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just had the father of two of my colonists show up as a pirate, figured I'd try to recruit him, but his daughter ended up blowing his head off in one shot.

The first time one of my colonists has deadly accuracy :smith:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Generation Internet posted:

Here's the state of my rough chillax village after about two years:

Everything is outside except for the tombs where my six dead colonists are. The bunker going into the hill was mostly something I built while everyone was trapped inside during a toxic fallout event that lasted a few weeks.

For chillax, read blood-soaked... Seriously, how do you expect to hide the mass murders if you don't wipe up occasionally.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Ratzap posted:

For chillax, read blood-soaked... Seriously, how do you expect to hide the mass murders if you don't wipe up occasionally.

That's actually 100% the blood of a Thrumbo that I wounded down to ~50% of its HP and then let it bleed out from the safety of the walls. It cost my last original colonist his right leg, but the horn we got off it paid for a new bionic one and then some.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh my god the TV now shows you exactly where to put the seating for people to watch :allears: I've NEVER been certain of whether it had to be directly in front

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
You know you can put solar panels around the wind turbines, right? The panels don't interfere with the wind flow at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like to plant crops around wind turbines. 3 turbines are alot of food.