Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd answer 50% and explain that the answer couldn't possibly be A or D because its impossible to be both. Picking randomly between the two valid answers yields 50% probability of being correct.

Not that it matters, this is a "one hand clapping" question where there isn't a right answer and they just want to see how you thought through it.
I can clap with one hand easily. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I can clap with one hand easily. :colbert:
We had a guy like that in local theatre. Out of ~15 guys acting in the play, no one was able to pick that up in about 6 months worth of loosely directed attempts.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What? Is it that uncommon of a thing :confused:

You can just clap your fingers against the palm of the same hand.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

B-begone h-heathen!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

dont hand shame

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Neither graph nor chart, yet I think it still has a place in here:

0%. None of the given answers are correct.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Funnily if 0% was an option, it would also be wrong :v:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Funnily if 0% was an option, it would also be wrong :v:

It's because it's not there that it is the correct answer. The question doesn't ask you "which of the following answers is correct", but instead it asks "what is the likelihood of a 'random' draw being correct". You don't have to answer the question with one of the given answers.

The fact that you aren't given the odds of the draw (it doesn't say they are uniform odds, for instance) is a big hint. The only odds you can be sure of is that an answer that is not listed can not be drawn, so anything except for a draw of %25, %50, or %33 25%, 50%, or 33% has a probability of 0%, including "0%".

Ruzihm has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Except you're making the same false assumption I made at the start.

There is no random drawing. The answer is the one you pick.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fathis Munk posted:

Except you're making the same false assumption I made at the start.

There is no random drawing. The answer is the one you pick.

Nothing says that the correct answer to the question is one of the options listed. The question is, if you were to choose one of those four options, what is the probability that you're correct? And since all four of them are wrong, the answer is "0%".

You are right though, if 0% was listed among those potential guesses then it would no longer be the correct answer.

Jabor has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Apr 6, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
E: nvm this leads nowhere and we're agreeing anyways.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
There are 3 possible answers '25%' or '33%' or '50%' .
One of them must be correct, else the question is invalid (since then the answer is '0%' and there isn't a choice of that in the possible answers)

Pick ABCD at random. There is a 2/4 chance of being right if the answer is '25%' and a 1/4 chance for both '50%' and '33%'

so [ (2/4)+(1/5)+(1/5)+(2/4) ]/4 = 37.5%

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

The question is asking for a description about a hypothetical situation. The situation happens to be "someone is randomly selecting from the following answers to answer this very same question." And in that hypothetical situation, that "someone" happens to be "you". You can tell it's a hypothetical situation because the given description of the situation starts with "If you..."

Of course the answer you provide in reality is not random. But it's a mistake to conflate what is hypothetically happening in the question's premise with what actually is happening. You don't need to actually fire a cannon to answer a ballistics question in a physics exam, for instance.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

spog posted:

There are 3 possible answers '25%' or '33%' or '50%' .
One of them must be correct, else the question is invalid (since then the answer is '0%' and there isn't a choice of that in the possible answers)

Pick ABCD at random. There is a 2/4 chance of being right if the answer is '25%' and a 1/4 chance for both '50%' and '33%'

so [ (2/4)+(1/5)+(1/5)+(2/4) ]/4 = 37.5%

In which case, 37.5% is the right answer, but not a choice. Therefore you have a 0% chance of guessing the right answer

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Primetime posted:

In which case, 37.5% is the right answer, but not a choice. Therefore you have a 0% chance of guessing the right answer

Yeah, so the question+answer set is invalid.

Might as well pose the question:

What is 2+2?
a) 41
b) a tree
c) Geoff Hurst in the 1966 World Cup
d) pardon?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

spog posted:

Yeah, so the question+answer set is invalid.

Might as well pose the question:

What is 2+2?
a) 41
b) a tree
c) Geoff Hurst in the 1966 World Cup
d) pardon?

The question in the picture is not a multiple choice question

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

The question in the picture is not a multiple choice question

I see what you mean.

Then indeed, the answer is '0%'

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

From a Huffpo article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-santens/humanity-needs-universal-_b_9599198.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Just knock on the table like the Germans do.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well that's knocking, not clapping :colbert:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Well that's knocking, not clapping :colbert:

Repeatedly slapping your hand against any other part of your body, say, your thigh for example. Very useful when using your other hand to jerk off during the closing of a Nutcracker play.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
The correct answer to that multiple choice koan is to circle one and write "in this way, %teachername was enlightened" under your answer.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Medieval Medic posted:

Repeatedly slapping your hand against any other part of your body, say, your thigh for example. Very useful when using your other hand to jerk off during the closing of a Nutcracker play.

But then that is the sound of one hand and whatever piece of adipose tissue you're slapping clapping.

No no no, all these answers are unacceptable.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Medieval Medic posted:

No, that's the sound of one hand fapping.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hey guys just checking in to say the answer is 0 and one hand clapping makes a sound internally to the clapper only, hope this helps and god bless this thread thanks

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/718185209796128768

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If I was an "other" voter I would probably be pretty mad at being lumped in with undecided.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

5.4% seems like a pretty significant margin of error when two options are just about that far apart.

At first I read it as 54%.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Best use of pie charts I've seen in a long time.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well the author is called Erik of Graph, so what did you expect.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pakled posted:

No cross reference that with salary and benefits.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pakled posted:

I mean, at least they provided the numbers? I wonder why teachers is highlighted. Probably this:

Outrail posted:

No cross reference that with salary and benefits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everyone says that teachers are valuable and underappreciated until it comes time to start talking about education reform or the education budget, at which point the conversation just turns to how lazy and ineffectual teachers are.

Even so, anyone who says that a teacher is a more prestigious job than a congressman is lying to themselves.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pakled posted:

Even so, anyone who says that a teacher is a more prestigious job than a congressman is lying to themselves.

It seems that within government jobs a general rule is the more vital they are for the continued functioning of society the less they pay.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Outrail posted:

It seems that within government jobs a general rule is the more vital they are for the continued functioning of society the less they pay.

The higher the proportion of women in the field the less it pays.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pakled posted:

Far as I can tell, this graph is a depiction of how people rate those respondents. So, of all respondents, people rank teachers as more prestigious than clergymen, soldiers and congressmen, but less prestigious than doctors, scientists and firefighters.

I think a better measurement for this would be 'respect', since it seems to have been taken that way and makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Pakled posted:

The only information I could get from this at first glance was that the "graphic designer" has almost the same rare last name as I do. And look what he's done with it.