Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sperglord posted:

I want to know why farming sims became a thing in Star Citizen, but am afraid the logic only makes sense when I'm on drugs. Plz help.

Sorry, drugs are really expensive... you're gonna have to get your own.

e: catsnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Im_drunk posted:

How long does that poo poo usually take to complete? They're just gray plastic pieces when you buy them, right?

I can whip these out pretty quick because they are tiny and I've been painting for a few years now so typically 10 minutes per guy. If you were new it would probably take closer to 40 minutes to an hour per with that level of detail. The WORST part for me is building them, cutting them off sprues and gluing them and poo poo, loving can't stand it, especially the bigger stuff like this :

Goobs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 10, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Goobs posted:

hey can't we all just be friends?

here's a pic of some grots I just finished painting, I pretend they're star shitizens and make them go into CC for the glory of the stimperor.

nice grots mate, but they need da red gobo

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

hanales posted:

Posting from the past.

Please shut the gently caress up and go somewhere else .

:yeah:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

BULBASAUR posted:

nice grots mate, but they need da red gobo

working on some red squigs next for the runtherds. yayyy squigs.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I was really hoping we'd see a Universal Century Gundam private server mod outta this all. They said you'd be limited to a handful of systems & a much smaller universe than you'd see in the official PU, but with Gundam all you really need is the Solar System, with 80% of the content being located in Earth's orbit.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

G0RF posted:

For the record, D1E, I actually do agree that Derek should remain the OP for awhile. I know I've said it before but I'm going to belabor the point, if you'll forgive me.

I know he has his detractors here, and that there are doubts as to his knowledge of the goings-on at CIG. Derek -- for whatever his flaws and past sins-- has lead the charge on an especially worthy crusade. I sometimes still find myself baffled by that fact along, familiar as I was with his name over the years and synonymous as he has been with trolling from even back during the Usenet heyday... Yes, he's pounded his chest and spouted off things both hilarious and ill-considered, insightful and sometimes cruel-- and yes, he's annoyed many with the E.L.E. hype of late--- but the fact remains, he picked a worthy fight that no one else was willing to pick. The Gaming Press largely ignored it-- happy instead to breathlessly clamor each time CIG added another million to their coffers or released an 'in-game' trailer for a feature they'd later discard...

He picked a fight with the largest crowdfunded entity in the history of crowdfunding. The 4th largest development budget in the history of gaming. And he did it when few else had the stones to try.

Yes, he's picked a thousand fights- many of them unworthy - over the last couple of decades. And yes, he loves picking the fight as much as he loves to be seen picking the fight. As was said long ago, he's not the hero we needed but he's the hero we deserved.

Nevertheless, whether the motives were flawed, some tactics questionable and some beyond the pale-- he picked a good fight. I needn't enumerate the reasons why it is that-- we all know them inside and out.

Beer waged a similar campaign-- here, on Reddit, and RSI forums. His tactics were different, his motives purer, I think-- and the act equally heroic. Bootcha joined the fight in his own way too- with finger-in-your-eye videos that still haven't lost their punch.

Somebody had to start saying it-- it is the unspeakable truth. And it's hardest to speak it when doing so brings with it waves of scorn, toxicity and recrimination. They did it.

I believe -- whatever Derek has been alluding to these recent weeks -- is probably real, and probably serious. Some doubt it and I'd understand why, but I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. If a month passes, and nothing has changed, then I think it would be hard to counsel for additional patience with his OP stewardship.

But for now, there's a certain poetic justice to all of it, and a hilarious irony that's hard to top. One day, decades from now-- as improbable as it sounds-- the best of these many threads will probably end up being a gold mine of hilarious and engaging reading material. Perhaps they, like we, will be looking at some even bigger gaming calamity in the making, just as some of us dive through the woefully preserved archives of the Ion Storm era, trying to predict the future from studying that past, and comparatively minor, disaster...

Derek being the OP for the thread brings a richness to this nobody else can-- one that future generations will appreciate. Derek of "that's him in the wheelchair". Derek of "The Case of the Stolen Valor" crime caper. No other OP is going to deliver those kinds of laughs in the course of administering this epic thread.

Beyond that though, Derek really started the fight. He helped wake a lot of people up. He helped many get refunds while they were still easily to get. He heard a lot of pretty awful things from ex-employees who had no other person willing to listen to them and believe them. Those are morally good acts-- even if Derek sometimes made a spectacle out of them.

So, though he's been cast a villain on the outside and declared a hype-mongering pretender recently here, I still believe he's the right guy for the job. Heaven knows I can't defend everything he's done, but I do believe he's on the right side of history. He got there first, and if the end is really near, he should be here last, too.

I think this is Derek's plan now, and I think it will resolve some of the recent tensions.

TL:DR
i_still_trust_dereksmart

Something about a guy who refers to himself as "the Golden Goose" really makes me leery. I'm not going to try and convince anyone to be more cautious about believing a guy like that, especially when the stakes are precisely nothing, but if anyone gets more emotional income from what goes on in this thread than he does, I will be very surprised. Also, that bolded stuff is pretty loving shameful. That's not even sort of funny. That was some petty bullshit that he rightly got called out on, and I will say that it's not a good idea to get stuck in orbit around someone who does poo poo like that, especially when that someone isn't a twelve year old.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Did anyone else watch THE FIGHT?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kakarot posted:

??????

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sperglord posted:

With $110 million, CIG could have gone a long way towards making a major space game. That they have gone so little is the clearest sign that the management is unbelievably awful.

Well yeah in hindsight some easy steps to have taken

1) Don't put Chris Roberts singularly in charge of anything, design with a board of directors
2) Don't put any time or resources into SQ42
3) Don't endlessly redesign the same things over and over (or put someone who will singularly in charge)
4) Don't use CryEngine
5) Don't create new mechanics with little to no thought creating a ridiculous technical debt that can never be met

Instead you have a failed movie director buying $16,000 watches, $20,000 coffee machines, $2200 tables, leasing mansions and porsche while devoting way to much (EightAce said TWELVE plus times the original budget for motion capture) to Squadron 42 that nobody even loving wants because it's closer to a movie and that's what HE wants to do.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

:agreed:

OK, here's one (of many). On the E.L.E scale of Defcon 1 (oh poo poo! we be hosed!) to 5 (yeah, whatever); this one is at Defcon 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON)

https://privnote.com/KuliiX1Z

This is all going to be public very soon, but I don't want to tip them off that we know EXACTLY wtf is going on; regardless of how hard they try to conceal it from backers who OWN and FUNDED this project.

I am only going to send the self-destruct key to a select (unnamed few) via PM. If you don't get it, don't ask me for it; as I won't give it because I have identified no less than four CIG accounts posting here on SA. Don't ask me how. Hint: honeypot

I literally clicked the link like 10seconds after your post and it was already deleted... :troll:

Milky Moor posted:

did someone crack eightace's code yet

I decrypted/bruteforced it the other night, it appears 8ace during he's Salty Dick moment removed what ever it was that was linked to.

i've re done it like x4 times now and i get the exact same result after each run. :fry:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Something about a guy who refers to himself as "the Golden Goose" really makes me leery. I'm not going to try and convince anyone to be more cautious about believing a guy like that, especially when the stakes are precisely nothing, but if anyone gets more emotional income from what goes on in this thread than he does, I will be very surprised. Also, that bolded stuff is pretty loving shameful. That's not even sort of funny. That was some petty bullshit that he rightly got called out on, and I will say that it's not a good idea to get stuck in orbit around someone who does poo poo like that, especially when that someone isn't a twelve year old.

So do you know why star citizen will never come out?

ben ate it!

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Well yeah in hindsight some easy steps to have taken

1) Don't put Chris Roberts singularly in charge of anything, design with a board of directors
2) Don't put any time or resources into SQ42
3) Don't endlessly redesign the same things over and over (or put someone who will singularly in charge)
4) Don't use CryEngine
5) Don't create new mechanics with little to no thought creating a ridiculous technical debt that can never be met

Instead you have a failed movie director buying $16,000 watches, $20,000 coffee machines, $2200 tables, leasing mansions and porsche while devoting way to much (EightAce said TWELVE plus times the original budget for motion capture) to Squadron 42 that nobody even loving wants because it's closer to a movie and that's what HE wants to do.

The problem with this analysis and my lamenting is that Star Citizen would never have raised $110 million without Chris Roberts promising the sun and the moon to everybody. We have a space sim game which takes a reasonable view of development and development limitations and that game is Elite. Star Citizen only raised as much money because it refused to limit itself, to be bound by what could be produced under a budget. The insanity of the super game developer both created and wasted the funding.

Star Citizen does not start without Chris Roberts and does not succeed with Chris Roberts. Therein lies the paradox of CIG.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

nopantsjack posted:

im 30 pages back but is this legit? is lesnick really director of ships?

Crobbler made his sycophant director of loving spaceships

It's great because the Director of Spaceships had no knowledge that his charges released a ship with one fewer seat than claimed, just a few weeks after selling a bunch of them.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Can't wait for the new model year ships too, so you have to buy a new hull and newer farming modules just to be able to grow newer crops better. (Luckily the game will fall apart by this point)

I'm imagining Ford's vehicle product director of the next Explorer taking orders for the upcoming new model, then showing it off at an auto show three weeks later saying, "Oh sorry, we changed it from an SUV to a two-seater 3-cylinder convertible based on the old Fiesta platform, and somehow no one told me anything about that until just now, but it still costs the same and you can't get your money back have fun with it!"

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Something about a guy who refers to himself as "the Golden Goose" really makes me leery.

It was a figure of speech, and he wasn't referring to only himself with that comment. I think you're reading too much into it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Screams eeeEEE posted:

It's perfectly normal to just not like a really ostentatious person, you're ok :unsmith:

e: Yeah, in fact given how people are now rallying around another Game Development God (???) I would definitely keep that sense of suspicion, it's good to not take messages like that at face value.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have no problem with it Dr Smart really is a golden goose how else could you explain the golden eggs he has laid for us?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

hanales posted:

Posting from the past.

Please shut the gently caress up and go somewhere else .

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it under consideration.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just discovered the :chillpill: emote

:weedass:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I can't wait till we get passed this bit of the thread like we eventually got passed the code thing. At least that was funny for the people who had figured it out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's almost time for anime/recipe/catte chat

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Kakarot posted:

all 1 and a half rounds?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I think it's almost time for anime/recipe/catte chat

I think we have more pages of goons salty about Derek first

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This thread can be cool but also I can skip hundreds of pages at a time and barely notice any difference.

It's a little embarrassing that folks are so quick to defend Derek because they know he'll throw a tantrum and leave if they don't. Most of the cool info in this thread comes from others anyway.

Do something interesting or chill out, D!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
It turns out $110,000,000 has gone into the Star Citizen Anime. Chris Roberts was a weeaboo all along.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Honestly kinda surprised that this late in the "open development" people are so okay with the concept of an NDA.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Gradis posted:

all 1 and a half rounds?

The one I watched went all 12. Pacquiao V Bradley

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Honestly kinda surprised that this late in the "open development" people are so okay with the concept of an NDA.

I think it's just another test of how gullible these people are.

"Hey guys I know there are rumors of the PU being abandoned and no real progress being made, and all of the money and time is being spent on Chris Roberts movie career dreams....

But as always CIG is "OPEN DEVELOPMENT" so we are going to completely hide all of our development. Meaning longer waits for less content you have no idea about!

EXPECT A SALE SOMETIME SOON!"

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eonwe posted:

I just discovered the :chillpill: emote

:weedass:

:fuzzknot:<-----:chillpill:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

play-testing star citizen is such unremitting torture that people are thrilled to off-load some of the burden to those most dedicated to enduring it. its a win-win.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

playing star citizen is such unremitting torture that people are thrilled to off-load some of the burden to those most dedicated to enduring it. its a win-win.

Sadly the comments from RSI seem to reflect this reality. Greatest game ever am I right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e1od7/your_best_or_most_awesome_moment_in_sc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e1od7/your_best_or_most_awesome_moment_in_sc/d1wqnx4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pratt2112 posted:

It was a figure of speech, and he wasn't referring to only himself with that comment. I think you're reading too much into it.
I thought the golden goose wasn't even a reference to Derek.

Even if it was, this is a guy who unironically calls himself an Old School Internet Warlord. I just roll with it-- in some ways, he is. He's more one of those than Sandi is one of the best saleswomen in the world-- that's for sure.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think the real irony of the whole closed-super-mega-alpha is that now most citizens can go back to ~dreaming~ about what their lucky hand-picked fellow citizens are playing.

"We're only seeing Alpha 2.21. Secret-NDA-Alpha is most likely in 3.0 by now. Likely, trading, sex, and FPS is all in, as well as several star systems. I have shipped several games in my time and I can guess based on our information."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
:vince:

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Derek pushed me over the edge to get a refund so he gets a pass from me.

The problem most have is him raising expectations that something is going to happen, feeling compelled to read the 2000+ posts a day and then getting disappointed when nothing happens.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Oh man you are gonna feel so dumb when Star Citizen releases.

I mean no one will ever know and you could then just buy the game like a normal person but fffgggggg

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Whoops wrong thread

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Mendrian posted:

I think the real irony of the whole closed-super-mega-alpha is that now most citizens can go back to ~dreaming~ about what their lucky hand-picked fellow citizens are playing.

"We're only seeing Alpha 2.21. Secret-NDA-Alpha is most likely in 3.0 by now. Likely, trading, sex, and FPS is all in, as well as several star systems. I have shipped several games in my time and I can guess based on our information."

Just think of all the posts defending the game against detractors

"Well I have a friend who is in the secret alpha, and he isn't allowed to say much but you will be shocked at what is coming :smug:"
"Of course there isn't any progress, they are obviously spending a lot of time with dedicated testing crew behind the scenes :smug:"
"I am in the Secret NDA Alpha guys and......there are no words. Dreams. Dreams happen now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"I am in the Secret NDA Alpha guys and......there are no words. Dreams. Dreams happen now"

I think this last one will be really telling. There are people who play the alpha that exists right now and claim it is the best game ever released, and they and their buddies have spent dozens if not hundreds of hours playing it. Which I still don't understand because it's basically a buggy shoebox with some pirates in it ATM.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 10, 2016

• Locked thread