Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
[Discussion] Lets deal with the new Alpha proposal sensibly or as sensibly as we're capable of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Mendrian posted:

I think this last one will be really telling. There are people who play the alpha that exists right now and claim it is the best made ever released, and they and their buddies have spent dozens if not hundreds of hours playing it. Which I still don't understand because it's basically a buggy shoebox with some pirates in it ATM.

It's kinda like eating your spouses burnt food they worked really hard to make for you.

Except you paid them $110,000,000 to do it, one meal took four years and they don't even like you.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I think this last one will be really telling. There are people who play the alpha that exists right now and claim it is the best made ever released, and they and their buddies have spent dozens if not hundreds of hours playing it. Which I still don't understand because it's basically a buggy shoebox with some pirates in it ATM.

I just imagine it to be like that episode of Rick and Morty when Jerry gets stuck in the simulation running at minimum settings.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hakimashou posted:

I have no problem with it Dr Smart really is a golden goose how else could you explain the golden eggs he has laid for us?

I'd say more of a Golden Splorch than goose when it comes to his egg laying techniques.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

These guys need some SAT levels of analogies.

"Squids are to Ink as CIG is to Information"

You guys output so much News!!! So much news it's hard to find specifics on anything actually. So much news that I don't actually feel informed one loving bit!!!

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Kakarot posted:

The one I watched went all 12. Pacquiao V Bradley

oooh I was on about Joshua / Martin fight. oh well silly uk.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

I thought the golden goose wasn't even a reference to Derek.

Even if it was, this is a guy who unironically calls himself an Old School Internet Warlord. I just roll with it-- in some ways, he is. He's more one of those than Sandi is one of the best saleswomen in the world-- that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure the "Golden Goose" remark was referencing EightAce, and the response he garnered after posting while intoxicated. We have people who have insight as to how the forest is burning, despite being surrounded by very dense trees. Let them post what they will, and take it for what it's worth, rather than going a few steps beyond incredulity and potentially running them off.

#IStillBelieveInDerekSmart

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Making it Rain posted:

I decrypted/bruteforced it the other night, it appears 8ace during he's Salty Dick moment removed what ever it was that was linked to.

i've re done it like x4 times now and i get the exact same result after each run. :fry:

well that sucks

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Has anybody fed all of Derek's writing into one of those text generating bots? I feel like that would almost be as interesting as Sandi's

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

mrking posted:

Has anybody fed all of Derek's writing into one of those text generating bots? I feel like that would almost be as interesting as Sandi's

what sort of bot? I would like to know this

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

i still think 'the united empire of earth' is a bad name for the good guy faction

lol @ the star citizen wiki

"The United Empire of Earth (UEE) is a democratic empire with an elective and term limited Imperator."

oh okay

It's Starship Troopers :ssh:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

RescueFreak posted:

I just imagine it to be like that episode of Rick and Morty when Jerry gets stuck in the simulation running at minimum settings.

haha, that's a vivid description.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tokamak posted:

It's Starship Troopers :ssh:

Was it 8ace that said that CRoberts didn't realize that the movie was satire?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it was. I'm too lazy to dig up the quote right now but its probably my favorite 8ace post ever.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it was. I'm too lazy to dig up the quote right now but its probably my favorite 8ace post ever.

This one?

EightAce posted:

Dont know where 10 hours is from ? He has shot far, far more than that and is still shooting bits. Its beyond belief bad. Not 'Ed Wood , its a product of its time and has a certain charm' bad , but really loving bad.
Imagine that you are about 12 and have just watched Starship troopers and you have viewed it in a truly un ironic way. You think the dialogue is bad rear end and the uniforms and one liners are so so cool. You cant imagine in your young mind how anyone could design anything that good, or even how SFX can progress anymore.
Now imagine a group of people give you more money than you can possibly imagine and tell you to go and make your very own Starship troopers. You go and get Luke Skywalker and that lady off the xfiles that makes you feel funny down there and then you get some like minded friends who all think you are great to build some spaceships and stuff. Some people start moaning that this isn't what they have given you money for but you totally ignore them, wait until they see what you have been up to, they will all see, all of them .........

Codekeeper
Feb 10, 2013

Innocence proves nothing.

boviscopophobic posted:

Somebody's really fat. I'm not going to name names.

It's Ben right? Because he's fat.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Chris Roberts: Star Citizen
From the literary mastermind that brought us Kilrathi, the giant space tigers. And Firekkan, the giant space birds. And Varni, the giant space reptiles. And Nephilim, the giant space bugs.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The commentary of the director patiently explaining to the audience in the simplest language "yes, the theme is that war makes fascists of us all" is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

"if you see a black uniform you should know BAD BAD BAD!"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
110 million dollars.

lol, sataball looks like a bad tron rip off.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

When it comes to sleeping, Kayak recommends you have something to rest your head on for proper support

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lime Tonics posted:

110 million dollars.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe Sandi is role-playing Catbert?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Man that's like B'Tak arguing for full loot pvp

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6552771/#Comment_6552771

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

:same:

Dr Smart deserves to remain the OP until the conclusion of all of this. This is his show, he's earned it, he's the one who got this whole ball rolling, and perhaps just as importantly, he's the one the shitizen and redditor and croberts focus their wrath on, him being the head of all this is a wound for them that does not heal. It is salt in the wound.

edit

That's a magnificent catte, also I agree

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ah yes, the Issues Council. The all important Issues Council whose greatest issue was that the entire Issues Council timer wasn't working properly and was just counting up after hitting zero. The Issues Council that had their greatest issue fixed by whoever it was running it just setting the timer back to a countdown near zero, to which it promptly hit zero and started counting up again.

The Issues Council that CIG takes extremely seriously and totally has paid attention to before now.

It's going to be a big hat with a bunch of names in it don't kid yourselves.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is sataball?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I feel like this description of their release cycle is missing a step where they do internal testing. Maybe it's part of the first bullet point*.

*) it isn't

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

So they ran out of Q&A testers and are passing the savings on to you? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP!!!11!!!

The whales won't mind though, since star citizen is like their second job anyways, and they are rich enough not to mind not being paid for what is essentially work.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Skellybones posted:

What the gently caress is sataball?
It's just a game mode that CIG promised.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

110 million dollars.

In a game chock full of dogshit, that is poo poo prime. Like, if you looked at poo poo in a microscope, you'd see stiff poser models chucking Luke Skywalker's training orb at each other.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Berious posted:

Man that's like B'Tak arguing for full loot pvp

Lethlity is NOT dumb. He's me 12 years ago. :eng99:

R.I.P. Horizons MMO

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

110 million dollars.

Those motherfuckers ripped off the solar plebeian arena! :argh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
IMO the EVA mechanics in Star Citizen (when it's not glitching out) is the one thing I think looks pretty cool.

It's the best example of it in a space game I've seen, and is one area where Star Citizen is better than Derek Smart's Universal Combat - The Lyrius Conflict, which is unironically superior to Star Citizen in every other respect.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Haskell9 posted:

R.I.P. Horizons MMO

I played horizons! I wasn't very good.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Berious posted:

Those motherfuckers ripped off the solar plebeian arena! :argh:

With one tenth the stability no less

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Wikkheiser posted:

IMO the EVA mechanics in Star Citizen (when it's not glitching out) is the one thing I think looks pretty cool.

It's the best example of it in a space game I've seen, and is one area where Star Citizen is better than Derek Smart's Universal Combat - The Lyrius Conflict, which is unironically superior to Star Citizen in every other respect.

Not hard to be the tallest midget, I can't think of many other games that even bother trying EVA.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Haskell9 posted:

R.I.P. Horizons MMO

youve said this like 20 times, he's dumb and you are dumb as well. sorry about that, call your mom and tell her that you love her.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Sataball looks literally nothing like what they were talking about when getting the community to design it. It was supposed to be on a grass ground. Originally created by children loving around with forcefield generators. I guess the design changed when Chris watched Ender's Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Sperglord posted:

That material is art assets, they have spent a ton of money on generic art assets. At the final accounting, what matters is gameplay. CIG has created less gameplay than Toops, less gameplay than a dozen of half-funded kickstarters.

I wonder if CIGs most valuable asset is actually their customer list?
Just imagine, tens of thousands of full retards that have access to thousands for dollars. This would be a gold mine for many different kinds of companies.

• Locked thread