Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
also its going to be everything you can dream of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

AFF already does FPS merged with space sim.
How is it doing, by the way?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Eonwe posted:

I think it's almost time for anime/recipe/catte chat

"Anime" is the Japanese word for "Japanese crayon literature."

I'm trying to decide between MS GLOO II and One-Punch Man as to what to watch next.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The saddest thing about this is that if the game ever did get made, there would be entire orgs and groups dedicated to the singular purpose of making B'tak feel grief.

We will never get to join in with committees dreaming up all new kinds of grief for B'tak, we will never get to be stationed 24/7 outside the front door of his pod, ready to pounce and make him feel grief as soon as he gets out of bed.

There will never be a highly organised large scale griefing of B'tak, involving legions of commandos stalking him and filling the corridors everywhere he goes, following him, making him feel grief.

None of this will ever come to pass, and gaming will suffer for it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Seeing the SC fans discussing with such naivete the possible gameplay options once the game gets finished, reminds me of when i was a kid. Me and the neighbourhood kids were building a treehouse. It was a rickety deathtrap and building it was a dangerous chore. Most of our time was spent on regaling each other with stories about the incredible features we would add to this treehouse, even though all of us knew in the back of our minds none of these plans would ever be even remotely possible.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hey Troops, have you considered having a British guy shouting loud incongruous things while you fly around in Solar Plebian? Have a "race mode" in the options and all it does is enable the commentator voice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Man their QA people must really suck at their job if they have to resort to unpaid labor to cover for them.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Chalks posted:

Hey Troops, have you considered having a British guy shouting loud incongruous things while you fly around in Solar Plebian? Have a "race mode" in the options and all it does is enable the commentator voice.

That's genuinely hilarious.

The commentator should have the occasional hint of sadness creep in, the odd comment belying his existential crisis and recent divorce

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SelenicMartian posted:

How is it doing, by the way?

No clue. Bought it but never installed it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fatkraken posted:

The commentary of the director patiently explaining to the audience in the simplest language "yes, the theme is that war makes fascists of us all" is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

"if you see a black uniform you should know BAD BAD BAD!"

Holy poo poo that was awesome

Those guys must have heard a lot of "duh you guys are nascist I saw you're film" :downs:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gawain The Blind posted:

You know what the saddest part of all this is for me? I would have been perfectly happy with an HD remake of the original privateer. You could probably just farm that out to some 3rd party developer, like the guys that are doing all the HD versions of the balder's gate games. I don't even know if it would have cost a million dollars.

:gary: :( :yarg:

You might still get that. SC's failures mostly stem from the MMO side of things, and SQ42 is already going to be open world. Once poo poo really starts to go downhill they could just cull the number of players and make it Privateer with co-op.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

"Anime" is the Japanese word for "Japanese crayon literature."

I'm trying to decide between MS GLOO II and One-Punch Man as to what to watch next.

I thought it was called 'Manga', with 'Anime' being the animated version of Manga.

I know little about it though, but once had a friend that was really into it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Holy poo poo that was awesome

Those guys must have heard a lot of "duh you guys are nascist I saw you're film" :downs:

Starship Troopers is a cinematic masterpiece.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Starship Troopers is a cinematic masterpiece.

Truth.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

When it comes to sleeping, Kayak recommends you have something to rest your head on for proper support

I just ordered a couch cover exactly like that, how are they?

Who am I kidding, even if you respond it will be instantly buried under seventeen thousand new posts. It's really unfair how much this game is messing up my getting good advice on how to deal with pet hair.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's a cool idea. One thought that springs to mind is genetic engineering. Perhaps the Empire has played with gene therapy so much that the question becomes which side is human, thus creating yet another reason for conflict.

Congrats both of you have put more thought into this than the crobber ever did for sc.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Now is a good time of the day to have a conversation in this thread. Doesn't rush too fast at this hour.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

i dont know anything about game development, but isnt it possible to design a piece of software that isnt so bug riddled that it needs to be in QA hell for months every time some minuscule change is made?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nomenclature posted:

Honestly, it is a smart thing for CIG to do money-wise, regardless of how much they have left.

One server instance runs on two cores, and the servers run on 16-core machines in the cloud. If each instance handles 24 players, they need 24x8=192 testers to test server performance every time they make a change. It's a lot cheaper to push 20GB patches to a few hundred testers than to hire 192 QA testers.

That's not how that works. Plus, companies with $100M budgets, already have a full staffed QA team. They only enlist external testers during a Beta period.

The backers already paid for the game, are entitled to it, and there should be no instance (or excuse) whereby some paid backers get access to the game, while others don't.

The massive patches are an engineering issue; not a testing issue. And it was only a matter of time before the costs caught up to them. This has more to do with controlling the narrative (of the lovely tech demo), than it is about testing.

Ask yourself this. The PTU is also a similar "invite only" system. So why is yet another layer, the ETF, needed? What can they do in the ETF testing that they can't in the PTU? They can quite easily reduce the number of people who have access to the PTU if they wanted to, since that system is also a staggered access.

ETF -> PTU -> PU makes absolutely NO sense; and is just another bone-headed mistake that someone came up with. And it won't yield the expected results.

So much for "open development"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ponzi posted:

I thought it was called 'Manga', with 'Anime' being the animated version of Manga.

There was a UK company called Manga that distributed a lot of the Japanese crayon literature world-wide, and over time in America, much like with Kraft Dinner and Car the brand name came to be used as the umbrella term, and in this case became further corrupted by a shortening of "animation" to "anime". Basically, people who call it that are just ignorant westerners who don't know better.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 10, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I know one way to cut down on bandwidth costs... Delta updates :smug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

alphabettitouretti posted:

Congrats both of you have put more thought into this than the crobber ever did for sc.

Chris doesn't have to think. He has legions of artists and writers to do it for him. He is the Ryan Archer of creative visionaries.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ponzi posted:

The Japanese have a word for people like that. Fans who consume without really understanding what it is they are paying for and can't comprehend the true meaning of what they have recieved. You often hear it used as an insult in the crayon literature. It is "backer".

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 10, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tokamak posted:

I know one way to cut down on bandwidth costs... Delta updates :smug:
You mean someone or something besides Chris will get to say how and where something should be changed in Star Pusher 42?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fat Shat Sings posted:

These guys need some SAT levels of analogies.

"Squids are to Ink as CIG is to Information"

You guys output so much News!!! So much news it's hard to find specifics on anything actually. So much news that I don't actually feel informed one loving bit!!!

So CIG only puts out information if it helps conceal and protect themselves from danger? A good analogy

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Enemy Starfighter will be better for combat. AFF already does FPS merged with space sim. Elite already does ground gameplay, is better for combat, and will do multi-crew/FPS. Infinity Battlescape will also likely do a few things better. The space sim genre is now clogged with competition and is only getting worse.

CIG had their chance. Roberts hosed it up. Unless CIG has been hiding a completely different game in their "open development" they won't be able to compete within their own genre, let alone other AAA titles.

there is also eve Valkyrie for arenas/action and full on VR.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

intardnation posted:

there is also eve Valkyrie for arenas/action and full on VR.

And Eve itself for grand space strategy.

It's amazing how much things have changed in the 16 months since SC was supposed to come out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i dont know anything about game development, but isnt it possible to design a piece of software that isnt so bug riddled that it needs to be in QA hell for months every time some minuscule change is made?

The more complicated a piece of software is, the less likely it is that any single developer will have complete knowledge about the particular system they are doing an update to. Couple that with human error and pretty much only the smallest changes to the simplest code will be bug free first try.

When you look at the complexity of SC and the fact that they have hundreds of developers working on it, no developer in the world is going to be able to avoid making buggy updates.

The way you minimise this sort of thing happening is having a very well defined design document and directors and managers with extremely detailed knowledge of how all the various systems fit together.

When you look at SC.... lol. Just lol. Then Chris goes and changes his mind and obliterates any partial plans anyone had tried to put together. More lol.

The developers are absolutely not to blame for the state of this code, all these problems come from on high.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man their QA people must really suck at their job if they have to resort to unpaid labor to cover for them.

My reading of it is that they can't handle the volume of bug reports so they've cut it right down.

This is another thing that Frontier Dev does better than CIG. Cos they have a system, and like experience and stuff.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm imagining SC's design document as a thousand post-it notes randomly attached to the monitors of the devs in the US/UK/Ger studios

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

I just find that hard to imagine. Why buy this giant mountain of liabilities, engineering debts, impossible promises and toxic backer megawhales when you could spend a lot less to scoop up Infinity:Battlescape, Angels Fall First, or some other functional game system that delivers more than SC and then just spend money to turbocharge it and set up your preferred monetization model?

Seriously, if they did that-- and they offered a "Star Citizen refugees program", they'd be far better off-- and could start those customer relationships on reasonable terms.

"You know all those promises Chris Roberts made you? The bad news is, we're starting out with 20% of them. The good news is that 20% is polished, stable, and ready to build on. So join us!"

That's a sounder strategy and would cost less, too.

I agree its not the most likely scenario, but i think its one of the more plausible. No Western Dev will touch the IP, but China would come in with very little knowledge of Croberts and his grandstanding agaist publishers and the industry.

China is apparently buying everything left and right to shoot adrenalin into its slowing economy (http://fortune.com/2016/03/18/the-biggest-american-companies-now-owned-by-the-chinese/) and they have been know in the past to buy failed brands (like Maytag) as a foothold into the US market.

They wont see it as buying engineering debt and angry spergs (Most chinese firm care very little about custommer relation, as they are used to deal with a 1.1billion people protected market most of the time) but instead as a bunch of art assets and some already invested international audience (with international money, the best kind) bound by the sunk cost falacy. The mudpile of a game will need fixing, but they can force university students to literally work for free with the party blessing, so if they need cheap code they could take a whole graduate class in computer science and tell them ''Fix this and you get your diploma, fail and you have to start over next year'' and watch them code themselves to suicide.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Daztek posted:

I'm imagining SC's design document as a thousand post-it notes randomly attached to the monitors of the devs in the US/UK/Ger studios

Endless, "It's like X" where X is the latest thing that Chris saw

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

We've seen part of that document. That quick b-roll clip from Foundry in the year-end update video.

"Fix all the things... :-("

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

Endless, "It's like X" where X is the latest thing that Chris saw

It's like post-it note

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Daztek posted:

I'm imagining SC's design document
Because that's the only place it exists.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010
Alright here's my guess for the future based on inference and the magic 8-ball.

RSI/CIG pulls off a corporate inversion, transferring everything to Foundry 42 in the UK.
CIG USA can now go into chapter 11, freeing it from obligations to the backers.
F42 goes on to push out SQ42 on consoles, maybe there's a PC port at some point.

Can I get a confirm/deny here Derek?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Japanese have a word for people like that. Fans who consume without really understanding what it is they are paying for and can't comprehend the true meaning of what they have recieved. You often hear it used as an insult in the crayon literature. It is "backer".

:prepop:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Chalks posted:

The more complicated a piece of software is, the less likely it is that any single developer will have complete knowledge about the particular system they are doing an update to. Couple that with human error and pretty much only the smallest changes to the simplest code will be bug free first try.

When you look at the complexity of SC and the fact that they have hundreds of developers working on it, no developer in the world is going to be able to avoid making buggy updates.

The way you minimise this sort of thing happening is having a very well defined design document and directors and managers with extremely detailed knowledge of how all the various systems fit together.

When you look at SC.... lol. Just lol. Then Chris goes and changes his mind and obliterates any partial plans anyone had tried to put together. More lol.

The developers are absolutely not to blame for the state of this code, all these problems come from on high.

okay, i will continue to feel grief on behalf of CIGs devteams

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chalks posted:

Especially when >95% of it is commented out code for when Roberts has changed his mind.

For example:

quote:

#ifndef PI

// PI = 3.14 12/02/2013 - Too basic need more *****CROBERTS
// PI = 3.14159265359 18/09/2013 - Still not accurate enough *****CROBERTS
// PI = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971 - 21/05/2014 - Causes crash in server module. Can't find solution on google. ****CROBERTS
PI = 3 //DO NOT TOUCH EVER, IT COMPILES ****CROBERTS

#endif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Clearly you don't understand anything about schadenfreude developement.

• Locked thread