Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

aleksendr posted:

I agree its not the most likely scenario, but i think its one of the more plausible. No Western Dev will touch the IP, but China would come in with very little knowledge of Croberts and his grandstanding agaist publishers and the industry.

China is apparently buying everything left and right to shoot adrenalin into its slowing economy (http://fortune.com/2016/03/18/the-biggest-american-companies-now-owned-by-the-chinese/) and they have been know in the past to buy failed brands (like Maytag) as a foothold into the US market.

They wont see it as buying engineering debt and angry spergs (Most chinese firm care very little about custommer relation, as they are used to deal with a 1.1billion people protected market most of the time) but instead as a bunch of art assets and some already invested international audience (with international money, the best kind) bound by the sunk cost falacy. The mudpile of a game will need fixing, but they can force university students to literally work for free with the party blessing, so if they need cheap code they could take a whole graduate class in computer science and tell them ''Fix this and you get your diploma, fail and you have to start over next year'' and watch them code themselves to suicide.

But what, really, would they want to buy?

Star Citizen as intellectual property is not a "fixer upper". It's unfit for habitat and marked "Condemned", like some lunatic mansion with a lead-pipe plumbing system, walls insulated with asbestos, all built on a fault line already tremoring and long overdue for "The Big One". Neither the structure itself not the property it's built on would be desirable to own or restore.

What, then, would they see worthy of salvaging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Was intrigued by the Emeco Navy Chair and knockoffs, so i was browsing around a bit and found this:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/tag/navy-chair

Turns out Restoration Hardware is known for making knockoffs of the real article and, i assume, selling them for the same or higher amount of dolares. What are the odds of Sandi buying the knockoffs for absurd amount of backer money just because Restoration Hardware?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

Whoops wrong thread

Inconcievable!
This is the rightest thread in the 'universe, commando.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

orcinus posted:

Was intrigued by the Emeco Navy Chair and knockoffs, so i was browsing around a bit and found this:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/tag/navy-chair

Turns out Restoration Hardware is known for making knockoffs of the real article and, i assume, selling them for the same or higher amount of dolares. What are the odds of Sandi buying the knockoffs for absurd amount of backer money just because Restoration Hardware?

I assumed it was RH but couldn't find it on their site. I would not bet against Sandi just going full on RH for everything.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Making it Rain posted:

I literally clicked the link like 10seconds after your post and it was already deleted... :troll:

I decrypted/bruteforced it the other night, it appears 8ace during he's Salty Dick moment removed what ever it was that was linked to.

i've re done it like x4 times now and i get the exact same result after each run. :fry:

Older gentleman in bowler hat sees your post over your shoulder on the bus*

Older man: Son do you like puzzles? I've got a job for you if you are interested
Goon: Does it have to do with Star Citizen? The game that doesn't exist and is totally loving up?
Older man: What? Why no. You'd be serving your country.
Goon: Doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Now excuse me, theres another code string in here I haven't solved yet and I just may finally find out how much those breakroom chairs cost.
Older man: Uhh ok son
Goon: Parp!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

What the gently caress is sataball?

It's like ATAPIball, only with smaller cables and without the slave/master jumpers.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris doesn't have to think. He has legions of artists and writers to do it for him. He is the Ryan Archer of creative visionaries.

Also the Star Citizen mythos is just the Wing Commander mythos with a new coat of paint...

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Good Dumplings posted:

Never mind Elite, isn't that basically X3? Or Evochron whatever, or Vega Strike? Forget dreams, reality's got you covered for like five years now.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Yeah, I've played all of those.

What about X: Rebirth?
:getin:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Io_ posted:

Also the Star Citizen mythos is just the Wing Commander mythos with a new coat of paint...

And instead of cats for bad guys it's these things:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Hey Troops, have you considered having a British guy shouting loud incongruous things while you fly around in Solar Plebian? Have a "race mode" in the options and all it does is enable the commentator voice.

Oh! I've got an idea!
Enabling Race Mode in Star Plebeian just plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QbJRAWvRU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e59us/some_questions_from_the_french_community_answerd/

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Alright here's my guess for the future based on inference and the magic 8-ball.

RSI/CIG pulls off a corporate inversion, transferring everything to Foundry 42 in the UK.
CIG USA can now go into chapter 11, freeing it from obligations to the backers.
F42 goes on to push out SQ42 on consoles, maybe there's a PC port at some point.

Can I get a confirm/deny here Derek?

This would require a high level of organizational skill on both the finance and operations front.

When have they displayed that in the past?

QED.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What.
Development started 6 months ago... By starting the refactoring.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Is Earnest a town in Germany?

e: I'm 99% sure that's a joke from The Micallef Programme, but can't remember which skit from. Aussies, help.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 10, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

orcinus posted:

What.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WviwYLZubSw

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

orcinus posted:

What.

Please let that be a troll using the "Star Citizen has only been in development for five years four years three years two years one year six months three months will go into development next month!" line

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Maybe he meant they had 6 months worth of development endproduct done in those 4 years.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

orcinus posted:

What.

Not too long ago saying that Star Citizens claimed development only started 6 months ago was a joke. Turns out it was also a prediction.

Unironically looking forward to the first backer claiming development started 2 weeks ago.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Looking back, i'm pretty sure that's a goon.
No one could've unironically used "you do not understand game accounting".

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, "you don't understand game accounting", "development began six months ago", "refactoring", and 18 posts total makes me think it's a goon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

"Anime" is the Japanese word for "Japanese crayon literature."

I'm trying to decide between MS GLOO II and One-Punch Man as to what to watch next.

OPM is loving sick

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it 8ace that said that CRoberts didn't realize that the movie was satire?

Holy poo poo...

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

orcinus posted:

Looking back, i'm pretty sure that's a goon.
No one could've unironically used "you do not understand game accounting".

Yeah that's a pretty transparent troll. It hits too many catchphrases and in-jokes.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

What.

I think anyone with a realistic opinion would say that development began the moment that they started spending development money (regardless of where it came from or what it was actually spent on).

Whether they hosed it up 1/2/3 or more times and started again from scratch is irrelevant IMO.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

orcinus posted:

What.

:laffo: at all you guys running around and trolling each other but falling for each others trolls.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Flour Moth posted:

Yeah that's a pretty transparent troll. It hits too many catchphrases and in-jokes.

Should've ended it with ”at least that's how i see it”.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There was a UK company called Manga that distributed a lot of the Japanese crayon literature world-wide, and over time in America, much like with Kraft Dinner and Car the brand name came to be used as the umbrella term, and in this case became further corrupted by a shortening of "animation" to "anime". Basically, people who call it that are just ignorant westerners who don't know better.

Is my little pony 'Manga' or 'Anime'? I don't want my daughter to appear ignorant to her friends in school when she's discussing this cartoon poo poo.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The Maris Piper is the best potato. Light, fluffy, floury, flavoursome. It needs no butter or cream, just a little salt and white pepper. It gives no fucks. It does not taste good with beer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AP posted:

Is my little pony 'Manga' or 'Anime'? I don't want my daughter to appear ignorant to her friends in school when she's discussing this cartoon poo poo.

I believe that is a toy range from the mid-1980s produced by Hasbro, and is as such Plastic. This is however immaterial to the discussion at hand.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

The Maris Piper is the best potato. Light, fluffy, floury, flavoursome. It needs no butter or cream, just a little salt and white pepper. It gives no fucks. It does not taste good with beer.

How many seats does it have?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
My Little Pony plushies seem to get a lot of "action" from the older crowd so I'd go with action figures personally.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Is Sandi an action figure?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2222-i-weigh-5002B-pounds-5-realities-extreme-obesity.html

Not saying Ben's fat or anything.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Might I suggest " Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress"? This anime is cool as gently caress.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I believe that is a toy range from the mid-1980s produced by Hasbro, and is as such Plastic. This is however immaterial to the discussion at hand.

No she was watching some cartoon thing on tv the other night about it, it's Manga or Anime.

Manky sounds right.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SurfaceDetail posted:

My Little Pony plushies seem to get a lot of "action" from the older crowd so I'd go with action figures personally.

I would argue, from my position of admitted ignorance, that they lack the requisite number of points of articulation to qualify as 'action figures' and as such should be regarded as somewhere between a doll and an ornament.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would argue, from my position of admitted ignorance, that they lack the requisite number of points of articulation to qualify as 'action figures' and as such should be regarded as somewhere between a doll and an ornament.

Over time and through plenty of love they often become stiff enough for just such points of said articulation.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Kickass animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

Might I suggest " Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress"? This anime is cool as gently caress.

This is new right? I've been meaning to watch it

• Locked thread