Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

They can't do any of that because every entity tied to Star Citizen, was created with backer money. The money trail is not that hard; regardless of how many companies they've created around it. That's what forensic accountants & investigators do for a living.
Derek

The events of the last year and Erin's recent interview in particular point towards further consolidation of Operational authority and Developmental responsibility under Foundry.

LA -- for all the extravagant furnishings and ludicrous decorative touches seems -- with a few notable exceptions, like C Grade dev talent commingled with Sandi's cling-ons, assorted admin (like HR-- :lol:), and whatever team Ortwin employs to perform various magic acts with funds, shell companies, etc. (If there are dev rockstars there and I'm ignorant of their talent, my apologies to any offended or hurt.)

Austin has Tony Z., a handful of shellshocked survivors of the long-ago Gardiner / Wingman coup, and a few newer faces. They shipped the $1M+ in Mo-Cap equipment off to the UK if memory serves. That anything remains at all of the office may be, as ATXSperg mused, simply to stick a finger in your eye about your "CIG is closing down the Austin offices" predictions.

Their much heralded multi-continent distributed development model, despite the promises of "24 hour a day development!" work, seems to have failed them. Only the best run studios can turn such a process to their advantage-- with the rest playing a non-stop global ping pong game of endless bug generation with each successive volley of "iterative development".

I digress but to bring it back to my open, is the seeming consolidation under Foundry indicative of more than just capitulation to the failures of distributed development? I can't tell if this is pragmatism, panic, a new power play-- or some combination. I got the feeling there was an overdue revolt brewing from EightAce's comments but this is all looking through a glass darkly and I can't tell if the shadows are dancing or choking each other...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm just busting your balls, but, please stop if you are actually draining bandwidth.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LOL

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Maybe she's writing a new soundtrack for the loading screen.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ponzi posted:

For frying yes, because white potatoes don't absorb as much oil during cooking as red varieties. This is why the Maris Piper is the potato of choice for Fish 'n Chip shops.

For boiling you want a red potato, because they're much less suseceptible to falling apart when overcooked (although all potatoes have their limits). The general concensus is that the Desiree is the most fidelitous of the red varieties.

The King Edward, although a red, is a satisfactory all-rounder.

The best fries i ever tasted where Red Pontiac (or Dakota chief) that had spent 6 months in a dark cold storage before getting fried to a light gold in peanut oil near its max temperature. Pure crips on the outside with soft, warm insides.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I had never heard of that; I'm going to track it down.

I also remember Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles being decent as far as a Saturday morning cartoon adaptation goes.

Roughnecks was cool in a Saturday morning cartoon sort of way, kind of reminds me of a spiritual ancestors of the clone wars show

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

The best fries i ever tasted where Red Pontiac (or Dakota chief) that had spent 6 months in a dark cold storage before getting fried to a light gold in peanut oil near its max temperature. Pure crips on the outside with soft, warm insides.

Have you ever tried making your own 'twice-cooked' or even 'triple-cooked' chips/fries?

They end up fantastically crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside. A lot of effort though.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
When composing for the Stimpire, remember, all note values triple when your instruments are powered by the worst kind of electricity!

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
I like space sims, while Star Citizen has been on the news for plenty of reasons, I had never looked into it or pledged the kickstarter. My question is, despite all the controversies it generates, it seems a great game on youtube and when it releases, should I pre-order it or pledged the kickstarter to gain release date advantage still?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ponzi posted:

Have you ever tried making your own 'twice-cooked' or even 'triple-cooked' chips/fries?

They end up fantastically crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside. A lot of effort though.

This really is the trick to making fries. Every time I tried to make fries from a freshly cut potato, they always ended up weird. First trick is you need to rinse them very well after cutting. The second trick is the two stage cooking. Do them first at a lower temperature to cook them through, then let them sit for a little while, or even freeze them for later. Then, do them at a high temperature, just before serving, to finish them and make them nice and crispy.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I assume she meant to say she's gonna be playing the fiddle, all month long.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Altran posted:

I like space sims, while Star Citizen has been on the news for plenty of reasons, I had never looked into it or pledged the kickstarter. My question is, despite all the controversies it generates, it seems a great game on youtube and when it releases, should I pre-order it or pledged the kickstarter to gain release date advantage still?

If in 2021 Star Citizen releases and is actually good. Like a .1% chance of this occurring. You should buy it for 60 bucks like a normal person. That's my plan anyway.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Altran posted:

Start at page 1 of this thread. Once you get back here, if you're still eager to back the game, you have our blessing...

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

This hasn't been posted in too long

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

XK posted:

Here's the guy who actually thought goons were organizing to suck up bandwidth, and wanted to jump in with the cool kids.

you must be fun at parties

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Mr.Tophat posted:

When decomposing for the Stimpire, remember, all note values triple when your instruments are powered by the worst kind of electricity!
:zombie:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Altran posted:

Buy it after release (big if here) and if it's any good (even bigger if here).

If you want to buy a spaceship with real actual money I'd wait until the games out and money/ship/account farmers have undercut the grey market and tanked the prices.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

It's a nice break from designing shoes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

drat look at all those navy chairs (note that the paddings on the chairs are likely at additional cost). now im going to try and find if those tables are also RH.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 10, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Agrajag posted:

you must be fun at parties

I am if alcohol is involved.

I just don't want anyone to be able to cite goons actually stealing sizeable amounts of bandwidth costs, when this poo poo is perfectly capable of imploding on it's own. It's sometimes hard to tell when one of us is taking the piss, or actually doing something.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Poll Update

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/326111/if-you-had-to-choose-between-squadron-42-and-the-star-citizen-pu

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I just don't want anyone to be able to cite goons actually stealing sizeable amounts of bandwidth costs, when this poo poo is perfectly capable of imploding on it's own. It's sometimes hard to tell when one of us is taking the piss, or actually doing something.

If they want to come after me for my downloads, they can. You still have to have a valid username and password to download and as inept and incompetent CIG is, I'm sure they can still manage to sort their userlist by bandwidth.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Altran posted:

It's unlikely to ever make release, you'll be wasting your money.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

How long until Ben wanders in and declares Freespace 1/2 a bad WC ripoff and closes the thread?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

If they want to come after me for my downloads, they can. You still have to have a valid username and password to download and as inept and incompetent CIG is, I'm sure they can still manage to sort their userlist by bandwidth.

I wouldn't even assume this much, with how badly they've hosed up in the first place by not having a delta patcher.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Are these the storied models she had doing a runway walk atop desks while pursuing her Marketing / Law / Business Masters somewhere in Oceania?

Also-- I can't remember-- was that larger table identified and added to the Restoration Hardware tally? It's hard to keep track of all that wonderful rustic furniture they've purchased from the world's leading purveyor of luxury home and office furnishings...

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

It's unlikely to ever make release, you'll be wasting your money.

This is why a new OP would not be remiss. For those of us that have been here from the beginning, yeah, it's pretty obvious that SC is never coming out. But the current OP is just full of overly-large photoshops of Smart and links to his blog that nobody new is going to want to read.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I wouldn't even assume this much, with how badly they've hosed up in the first place by not having a delta patcher.

Then maybe this will be the impetus that causes them to finally write one.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Altran posted:

I think you should spring for a Completionist package, then let us know when you did so we can verify the activity in their public funding tracker. Just make sure to get a refund within 14 days.

Do not actually do this

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

To think I missed such an obvious trick!

I'm gunna spend a few minutes in the iron maiden to make amends

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

G0RF posted:

Are these the storied models she had doing a runway walk atop desks while pursuing her Marketing / Law / Business Masters somewhere in Oceania?

Also-- I can't remember-- was that larger table identified and added to the Restoration Hardware tally? It's hard to keep track of all that wonderful rustic furniture they've purchased from the world's leading purveyor of luxury home and office furnishings...

i cant seem to find those rectangular tables on RH but then again the photo makes it hard to actually see the details. also, what exactly is going on in that first picture with all the models straight out from the 90's?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rudager posted:

How long until Ben wanders in and declares Freespace 1/2 a bad WC ripoff and closes the thread?

It will probably moved to the Concern forum soon which will have a side effect of destroying the poll.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

XK posted:

a. It's really not

b. boohoo, pls don't burden the company pushing multiple 30gb downloads out sometimes daily with unnecessary bandwidth usage

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A curious hypothetical to use as an example.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6552486/#Comment_6552486

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

i cant seem to find those rectangular tables on RH but then again the photo makes it hard to actually see the details. also, what exactly is going on in that first picture with all the models straight out from the 90's?
It may, in fact, be straight out of the 90s.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I love that they can only muster 313 votes. That's a pathetic amount, even accounting for the normal forum base < player base disconnect.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I mean hand

Trunk?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wrecked Angle posted:

a. It's really not

b. boohoo, pls don't burden the company pushing multiple 30gb downloads out sometimes daily with unnecessary bandwidth usage

I can't wait until they reach the purported 100gb of content.

We talk about how long, chronologically, they'll be able to survive, but there's another metric of how far into their 100gb they'll get until they fail. They've been hanging at 30gb for about 6 months now. They might never get beyond the 30gb mark.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

This really is the trick to making fries. Every time I tried to make fries from a freshly cut potato, they always ended up weird. First trick is you need to rinse them very well after cutting. The second trick is the two stage cooking. Do them first at a lower temperature to cook them through, then let them sit for a little while, or even freeze them for later. Then, do them at a high temperature, just before serving, to finish them and make them nice and crispy.

I rock the foodlab four step process and it works great (even if it's a bit of a pain in the rear end)

1. Boil with water and vinegar
2. Light fry
3. Freeze
4. Final fry

It's actually pretty nice to be able to prep a huge batch of fries and just freeze them so I can pull them out on burger night or whatever and not have to go through a bunch of steps.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

In my day you had your normal human sex significant other with a headache so you rubbed one off shamefully in the master bathroom and you were happy.

FTFY.

• Locked thread