Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there a better way to do an unloader like this?

The boxes on the top can't unload because the belt is full.

I can't think of a great way to get a really compressed belt for this.

try this:

as long as there is belt capacity on the main belt, all 4 boxes get unloaded.

edit: even more horizontally compact:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
In lieu of working on any of the significant mods I want to complete, I wrote a quick one.

Persistent Research

Mostly for newbies or multiplayer. Makes it so research progress is saved, so if you switch mid-tech you don't lose anything.

This might already exist, I didn't check. I'll probably get around to making a post on the Factorio forums... someday.

Edit: fixed link

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 10, 2016

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there a better way to do an unloader like this?

The boxes on the top can't unload because the belt is full.

I can't think of a great way to get a really compressed belt for this.

Yes, have a belt pointing away from each of the inserters, then have the first and second join to make a balanced belt. Do this with the third and forth, then join the resulting two belts together.

I'll try to get an image when I get to my computer.

Edit: see post above

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
why is this splitter only outputting one late

it's the only one to do this to me

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is that a bug, or is something just eating up all the copper on one side of the lane?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's flowing fine but only through one lane

i've tried putting the splitter back down and it's not helping.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's just how splitters work -- they don't shuffle the lanes, they just move items from one input belt to another output belt. It'll start filling in the other lane when that lane is full.

Edit: Wait, hold on, it looks way weirder on second glance. I've seen this exact same behavior before, it's just how it works. Maybe because you only have one input belt?

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Splitters work per item, so it puts every n-th item on belt 1, and (n+1)th item on belt 2.

What has happened is that every item on the left side is item n, and right side is n+1. Rebuilding the splitter might solve it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
two input belts:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

two input belts:

change that particular lane of the bus to red belts until you hit the problem splitters

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
I'd suggest a different method for splitting off plates for a super heavy user like green circuits.

This uses more resources to split the materials off but it pulls from every belt equally ensuring that you never fully starve a single belt on your bus. Take the design on the far right and run 2 belts off the side splitter into your circuit factory.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Enzenx posted:

I'd suggest a different method for splitting off plates for a super heavy user like green circuits.

This uses more resources to split the materials off but it pulls from every belt equally ensuring that you never fully starve a single belt on your bus. Take the design on the far right and run 2 belts off the side splitter into your circuit factory.

I wish I had this picture 100 hours ago.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Suspicious Dish posted:

two input belts:

More generally to explain the recommendations people are making:

A single splitter can only ever take 1/2 of the throughput of a given belt. Sometimes it lines up perfectly that the half it takes is only one side of the belt. You aren't actually leaving anything on the belt or suffering reduced throughput, you are at the maximum a yellow splitter could give you.

If the single line ever deadheads, it will cause the splitter to keep supplying the other lane, but 6 cable assemblers way outstrips what 50% of a yellow belt can do. So you need a way to supply more than a yellow splitter on a yellow belt. If the bus was red belt with a red splitter going into a yellow branch, you'd be in business. The yellow branch would deadhead the red splitter, filling up a yellow belt, which is enough for 6 assembler 2s making cable.

Two splitters on the same buslane without makeup or ballancing means you pull 75% of the lane's throughput at best, which on a yellow lane is just barely enough for 6 assembler 2s making cable. If you want to make up a belt with that needs the same throughput (ie is the same color) as a bus lane, you should consider balanced pulls like Enzenx's example. There's also the imperfect method where you split both outside lines, tie them together, and balance the bus later before the next outside lane split.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So why do you have belts of circuits anyway?

If you want to make two belts of circuits, just quickly looking at the recipe will tell you that you're need to provide two entire belts of iron, and three entire belts of copper. Splitting a little bit off the side of the bus isn't going to do it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

So why do you have belts of circuits anyway?

If you want to make two belts of circuits, just quickly looking at the recipe will tell you that you're need to provide two entire belts of iron, and three entire belts of copper. Splitting a little bit off the side of the bus isn't going to do it.
The secret point of the bus methodology is that it is a giant loving chest that can store excess production and soak the temporary spin up of on-demand goods. The bus purposefully (whether the player knows it or not) outsizes production to let it store junk in other words.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Green circuits are the only intermediate product I put on a bus, and I do it because:
  1. They're used in a huge number of later recipes.
  2. They're used in large quantities, necessitating lots of parallel production capacity.
  3. Producing them efficiently requires that 3->2 factory setup, which doesn't fit into other factories.
Gears I just make out of plates on the spot.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

So I'm at the stage where I'm feeling rather meh about my current factory and am going to start again.

changes:

- reduce richness of fields, put spawner frequency back to normal
- make hydroxide ratio 1:4 - 1:10 was too low, had emptied 14 full chests of the surplus accrued pre-1:10 to feed the science machine.
- reduce lead:nickel:cobalt probs to 1:0.3:0.2
- plan the train network around roll-in-roll-out stations, have ammo delivery to mining outposts be it's own train instead of piggybacking on ore wagons.
- even less hand crafting of items, objects makers should be chains of assemblers fed with metals, churning new items while I do other things
- ENDLESS NIGHT :black101:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zedprime posted:

The secret point of the bus methodology is that it is a giant loving chest that can store excess production and soak the temporary spin up of on-demand goods. The bus purposefully (whether the player knows it or not) outsizes production to let it store junk in other words.

This is basically true for a lot of things, but not green chips. You're going to want those to be running basically all the time. Instead of having a splitter there, I would just strip off one of the lanes of copper, so that your green chips don't have to dip in production when some other incidental thing that draws from the same belt spins up.

I mean, it's not like you'd lose on throughput elsewhere in case green chips shut down, since you've still got three lanes going for two lanes of input. You'd just be changing the minimum proportion of copper going to green chips from 3/16 to 1/4.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr. Stab posted:

This is basically true for a lot of things, but not green chips. You're going to want those to be running basically all the time. Instead of having a splitter there, I would just strip off one of the lanes of copper, so that your green chips don't have to dip in production when some other incidental thing that draws from the same belt spins up.

I mean, it's not like you'd lose on throughput elsewhere in case green chips shut down, since you've still got three lanes going for two lanes of input. You'd just be changing the minimum proportion of copper going to green chips from 3/16 to 1/4.
We were talking about the two lanes of green circuits coming out. He's making a green circuit bus with them.

The idea of using bus branches of copper even for simple accounting cases like green circuits would be that if you dead head circuits somewhere and that line stops, you can still keep the WIP inventory moving over 4 belts of inventory storage over the entire length of the bus. If you are building a bus, you are building a monument to WIP, so why dwindle down your warehouse into nothing?

I have advocated for production accounting for smart line splits and dwindling buses before, but there's a point that programmatically applying ideal or nearly ideal bus splits down the length of it is a lot easier than doing the accounting for every line.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When are robots actually better/easier/more effective to use than conveyor systems?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ciaphas posted:

When are robots actually better/easier/more effective to use than conveyor systems?

Almost always easier. Very seldom more effective.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Over short distances, using robots to ferry components to assemblers can be easier than rebuilding belt infrastructure. You don't want to use bots to carry things from one end of the factory to the other, though. They can't carry too much and run out of charge quickly.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ciaphas posted:

easier: usually
more effective: depends how lazy you are
better: almost never

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

when you're making smallish amounts of things that take a while and don't use that many resources.
eg I have medium power pole construction done via requester crate, instead of conveyors. Same for ammo (since I'm playing peaceful).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Another newish mod Time tools

It lets you slow down or speed up the game, lock it to daylight etc and most nifty, adds a time combinator so you can access time info in circuit networks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can do cool stuff if you set up the logistics requesters into high level belt components. As you rip up the old belts, logistics-trash them, and they get fed back into the next level assemblers.

Otherwise its slow stuff I don't care to belt around. Defender capsules have some strange needs compared to Distractors and Destroyers, so I usually robot over defender capsules into the distractor/destroyer chain. Usually bot electric engines to the robot manufacturers too since frame assemblers can get a little crowded with their diverse inputs and I'm in no huge rush to make robots.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This is what I use them for, for the most part:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

zedprime posted:

You can do cool stuff if you set up the logistics requesters into high level belt components. As you rip up the old belts, logistics-trash them, and they get fed back into the next level assemblers.

since bobs have multiple levels of quite a few things, I use this a lot. Plus for items that use odd things (blue belt tech use lubricant, the tier 4 assembler uses bronze gears) I logi-trash whatever I want upgraded and let the bots bring me the new toys.

i also use non-limited smart crates as links in assembler chains, and feed the requester chests into them. set a smart inserter between the low-tier assembler and the crate and use that as the limiter. that way any new excess stops the low-tier production until it is gone, else the high tier assemblers pull from both the requester and the low-tier chain at the same time.

I'll repeat what I said earlier on the general uses of bots:

Bots are for me, belts are for my factory.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

two input belts:

That's how splitters work.

If you want it to even out move your splitter than you have on the branch back up to where the two splitters are taking from the main bus instead of partway in between the production modules as you have it now.

Also why are you doing a double split from your bus like that.

Better would be this, and it will balance the split across both belts automagically:

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 11, 2016

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Can someone save me from watching a 30 minute factorio train tutorial video and explain very simply how trains and rail signals work. The problem I am specifically having is I built a train with an engine at the front and back with two cargo cars in the middle, meant to travel along a two-way track directly to a mine and then return to the base, but I get "No Path" errors when I try to set up the automatic route. The track has no gaps and can be manually driven no problem.

The solution I found through googling and reddit was to add another railway signal at both ends, but I have no idea why this fixes the problem.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's a 90% chance you put one of the trains on backwards.

Don't ask me how I know this.
i do it all the time

We really need to get a megapost that links to all the various good advice that's sprinkled throughout this thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Scoss posted:

Can someone save me from watching a 30 minute factorio train tutorial video and explain very simply how trains and rail signals work. The problem I am specifically having is I built a train with an engine at the front and back with two cargo cars in the middle, meant to travel along a two-way track directly to a mine and then return to the base, but I get "No Path" errors when I try to set up the automatic route. The track has no gaps and can be manually driven no problem.

The solution I found through googling and reddit was to add another railway signal at both ends, but I have no idea why this fixes the problem.

Railway signals only allow things through one way. For a train to pass backward through a signal there has to be another one on the opposite side of the same piece of track. Since you can drive the route manually it's got to be a signal problem.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Not quite sure if this is the problem or not, but signals force a track to be one-way (with the signal being on the right-hand side of the one-way direction), unless you put two directly opposite each other. And when you're doing signals for a two-way track, you don't want to put them anywhere but at crossings or forks, or else you will end up with two trains staring each other in the face. Though it sounds like you're only running one train on this track, in which case you don't need any signals at all, signals are just for letting multiple trains know how to use the same track.

Basically, two-way tracks with more than one train are just a pain in the rear end, and should probably be avoided unless you're doing it for the challenge of it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Remember, railway signals are always on the right-hand side of the train coming into the station, right next to the track.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Okay the one-way thing makes a bit more sense, though it's still a bit confusing as I put my double signals at the very end of the tracks, you wouldn't think of the train as "passing through" them at all really.

Moddington posted:

Though it sounds like you're only running one train on this track, in which case you don't need any signals at all, signals are just for letting multiple trains know how to use the same track.

Don't I need signals to automate the route? I thought that was was created the "station".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Scoss posted:

Do a very simple test. Make a stretch of straight track, and place a station at each end. Place zero signals. When placing the station, pay attention to the yellow arrows on the track. Make sure they describe the path you want your train to take (they should point towards the end of the stop). Assign the train to both stations, hit start, and see what happens.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I'm doing a Pocket Bots start + Toxic Jungle map, and the constantly-empty armor battery bar is getting on my nerves but I can't figure out the console name for the Personal Fusion reactor. Anyone know what string I should be using, or even better have a link to a roster of items' console names which I've been unable to find because I'm probably googling for the wrong terms?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Whoops, after loading up my game I should clarify that every time I've said signal so far I meant "train stop".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scoss posted:

Whoops, after loading up my game I should clarify that every time I've said signal so far I meant "train stop".
That makes it simpler. I had to google the same thing when I made my first train line.

You just need to put them on the right hand side by direction of travel. Placing them on both sides of the track idiot proofs it without needing to think about direction of travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, stops are what allow automation, signals are for allowing more than one train to use the same line. And you don't even really need to remember the right-hand rule, since when you place or hover over a stop or signal, it'll show arrows on the track that point in the direction they allow.