Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A nice pack of doggies is so lovely to have, until they get their eyes and paws cut off by scythers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I love the artworks the game produces. I'd forgotten there was a fire that toasted a bunch of animals but Victor didn't.

I'm letting him make a large one now and I hope it's the epic tale of the alphabeaver onslaught which nearly killed him.

Tension grows in my colony though. Toasty keeps hitting on Victors wife which leads to insults flying. Plus the gay researcher wants to get into Toasty's pants but he's having none of it and keeps insulting the guy. Great stuff. Two raids have happened since I started, both were single women attackers but the turret killed them instantly - Toasty must have been pretty sad.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can turrets fire over sandbags?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They don't get the defense bonus.

Wood buildings real very hot when on fire....

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

You dont know pain until your entire colony which is made out of wood goes up in flames because your hunter shot a boomthing next to your house.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Turrets can fire over sandbags but they don't get the cover benefit from being behind them. There's also a small chance for bullets to hit Sandbags even when not used as cover, but Turrets bullets are just as likely to hit the sandbag as a Raiders so they're not particularly helpful for turrets.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

You dont know pain until your entire colony which is made out of wood goes up in flames because your hunter shot a boomthing next to your house.

Been there... That instant 'oh poo poo' feeling when you click on a boom lama thinking 'meat ran out, hunt this thing and get it in the pantry'. Talk about going down in flames.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You say your job is a sniper?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
No rule saying you have to be GOOD at your job.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Fans posted:

Turrets can fire over sandbags but they don't get the cover benefit from being behind them. There's also a small chance for bullets to hit Sandbags even when not used as cover, but Turrets bullets are just as likely to hit the sandbag as a Raiders so they're not particularly helpful for turrets.

Well poo poo. So sand bags immediately in front of a turret can block its own slots? poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I recommend, for dealing with the bugs, you build a bunch of coolers with the hot end going towards them. That way, you can bake them without having to fight.

You could also, presumably, build some wood walls and chuck some molotovs in the corridor. You do build your mountain forts out of completely fireproof materials, don't you?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Heffer posted:

Well poo poo. So sand bags immediately in front of a turret can block its own slots? poo poo.

Actually now I'm not so sure, because I just tried aiming at a turret behind a sandbag in game and it seems to have cover.

So maybe Cover does work for Turrets? I moved to where it wouldn't and that disappears.

So Sandbag your Turrets I guess. It does actually work unless the tool tip is lying to me. Also if you click raiders while they're attacking you can hover over your own stuff and see what chance they have of hitting it. Good for working out how hosed you are.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
And just out of curiosity. Here's a sandbag no one is right next to but is in the way.

It doesn't seem to impact the shot at all. So the only cover that reduces your chance to hit is the one the enemy is hiding behind, nothing else gets in the way and vice versa.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

There is a pack of 10 elephants standing in a clump on top of eachother eating every single plant I have growing and I can't do anything about it because elephant revenge coupled with elephants base damage means that they will instakill anyone who attacks them, and I really do not have the manpower to gun down 10 rampaging elephants before everyone is dead. RIP.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I marked a big group of maybe 30 deer for hunting and ignored them for a while. Turns out you can piss the deer off so suddenly one of my hunters gets stomped by 15 deer and they beeline for my base, destroy two turrets and kill another 3 colonists.

This game :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Butchered a raider for meat to train my bear with, turns out colonists NEVER forget who did the butchering, since the married couple murdered him in a cave like a season later :stare:

EDIT: Is there any way to cure gutworm, the increased hunger I can deal with but it's getting difficult to keep up with the vomit carpeting my colony

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Danaru posted:

Butchered a raider for meat to train my bear with, turns out colonists NEVER forget who did the butchering, since the married couple murdered him in a cave like a season later :stare:

EDIT: Is there any way to cure gutworm, the increased hunger I can deal with but it's getting difficult to keep up with the vomit carpeting my colony

Yeah gutworm goes away eventually, just be patient and hope for good RNG

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I think all the new diseases that lack an immunity counter go away eventually, though 'eventually' = a long rear end time. Presumably regular treatments with decent medicine cures them more quickly.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I buckled after reading this thread and bought the game.

My first attempt I literally figured out how to mine a wall in the first 5 seconds, and let out a bunch of mechanoids, one of which instantly cut my miner guy in half with its scythe hands, and a grub came out and minigunned everyone else.
Not even kidding. My first look at the game was "Okay, map loaded, I've got my guys, oh alright I see how this works, just tell them to and they go do it, ok down comes that wall and OH gently caress WHAT EVERYONE IS DEAD.

Second attempt went pretty well. What started out as a fight for survival became a serial drama about Engie, a female combat engineer who fell in love with Christian, an Undertaker. Her love was pure, but he wasn't quite so sure, but they were faithful to each other... Until Christian was taken too soon due to an infection in his leg he got out hunting.
Then Lucky arrived, a nobleman being chased by a lone madman. Lucky wanted sanctuary, and I gave it freely. Although Lucky wasn't much for manual labour, he was a great artist and spokesperson. He made a beautiful sculpture depicting the time Val and Parker went crazy for no apparent reason and tried to beat everyone to death.
Engie began to fall in love with Lucky, probably due to his astounding handsomeness, and he reciprocated. It was complicated, because Engie still had feelings for poor Christian. Lucky liked to wear a big cowboy hat, and had an old scar on his right foot from a bullet wound.

As the seasons came and went, they got engaged. Eventually the settlement had grown to 16 people, with only 2 lost - Christian and Boro, who was killed in a mine collapse. Parker lost an arm in that same mine collapse, but later got a bionic replacement. We built a spaceship, and 8 went off to the stars. The remaining 8, Engie and Lucky included, stayed behind to build another ship. They were married in the spring. Engie had never been so happy.

Raiders came towards the end of summer, and tunnelled under our defences. The main attacking force was mostly repelled by turrets, but the real damage was done by a lone sapper with molotovs who found herself one of the main power generators, and set fire to everything.

The resulting inferno was brutal. So brutal that it drove the raiders off, but incinerated half the base and a good deal of the supplies. 5 of our people died that night, among them Lucky, who rushed into a burning bedroom to save another settler.
Engie was crushed. It was just her, Derlurian the brain damaged captured raider (from a previous years attempt) and Corlessa, the surgeon remaining. The repaired what the needed, and focused on completing the ship, which thankfully hadn't been damaged at all.
They sold all their weapons and spare clothes to buy 2 slaves, who they set free to help them. Just as Winter was biting at their heels, the 5 of them managed to complete their ship, and take off.

Good luck Engie. It was a wild ride.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been playing with the slower AI on rough with permadeath and I am really enjoying it. The last couple of updates have added a lot of character to the game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

princecoo posted:

Good luck Engie. It was a wild ride.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but this game really does a good job at its stated goal of generating stories through gameplay ala Dwarf Fortress. Nice post.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splode posted:

Yeah gutworm goes away eventually, just be patient and hope for good RNG

Most just need a certain number of treatments, like muscle parasites require 10 treatments. not even sure meds help.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has the amount of negative random events skyrocketed for anyone else? The toxic fallout and diseases I can deal with, but unless my energy grid is made out of nitroglycerin it shouldn't be exploding this god drat often

I miss that mod that included fuses :smith:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

As soon as I have stone cutting I replace the previously wooden walls, purely so everything isn't hosed during one dry thunderstorm.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

As soon as I have stone cutting I replace the previously wooden walls, purely so everything isn't hosed during one dry thunderstorm.

Stone is the only material worth using. With as combustible as steel is in this game I'm surprised you can't fuel your generators with it.

#footstoolscantmeltsteelbeams

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

There is a pack of 10 elephants standing in a clump on top of eachother eating every single plant I have growing and I can't do anything about it because elephant revenge coupled with elephants base damage means that they will instakill anyone who attacks them, and I really do not have the manpower to gun down 10 rampaging elephants before everyone is dead. RIP.

I almost lost 2 colonists to rampaging alphabeavers (brought on by revenge when I killed them off to keep a few live trees). I kited them round one of my sentry guns which gradually picked them off. Patricia shooting her husband in the chest point blank when trying to hit a beaver didn't help. Those were the only two with any decent doctor skill too of course. I thought he was toast but he went immune to the infections just as they turned extreme.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I just watched the guard of a visiting trader beat the poo poo out of the trader before leaving her to die. :stare:

edit: she was ugly and disfigured.

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

I just watched the guard of a visiting trader beat the poo poo out of the trader before leaving her to die. :stare:

edit: she was ugly and disfigured.

It's kind of hilarious how the relationship values are set up. A few chats and you like them better than your wife. But oh, they have a scar? Woah GROSS, what a jerk. For things like disfigurement, they should probably affect new people meeting them but once a colonist is friendly with someone else the malus for the other colonist being disfigured should probably lessen until it's at zero.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Do chickens randomly stop eating after a while? They have plenty of haygrass in their allowed area and were happily eating it before. Now they're all starving themselves to death.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Slime posted:

It's kind of hilarious how the relationship values are set up. A few chats and you like them better than your wife. But oh, they have a scar? Woah GROSS, what a jerk. For things like disfigurement, they should probably affect new people meeting them but once a colonist is friendly with someone else the malus for the other colonist being disfigured should probably lessen until it's at zero.

Some modder will do a balance pass on it, the fact that relationships exist at all now is super great though.

I have been growing a lot of crops and I am now officially the beer baron of Rimworld.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Chugging along with a good sized colony and suddenly I get raided by three centipedes, two with inferno guns. 2 minutes later my colonists are running around screaming, on fire.

Inferno guns are terrible.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Dreylad posted:

Chugging along with a good sized colony and suddenly I get raided by three centipedes, two with inferno guns. 2 minutes later my colonists are running around screaming, on fire.

EMP grenades are your friend against mechanoids. One colonist with EMP nades was able to stunlock two centipedes with inferno cannons long enough for 5 others to plink them to death/beat em up with clubs. Lost a man, but them's the breaks I guess :smith:

owlmanatt
Feb 5, 2010
I was quietly minding my own business when an entire herd of deer went berserk, brutally trampled my hunter to death, and occupied my colony.

Thankfully, after a nap, the deer forgave us our transgressions. Respect the new deer overlords.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dreylad posted:

Centipedes and mechanoid events are pretty dumb and terrible anyway, and you either let them demolish your colony, cheese them with one of the standard methods, or just mod them out entirely (I prefer the latter).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've had fewer problems with them this patch. Animals really help by overwhelming them with targets, and I've found I have better weapons sooner. Pirates seem to be better equipped so I'll have grenades or something which helps a lot.

Fire just sucks in this game though. Anything related to fire sucks, as the pawn AI deals with it really badly, so you have to micromanage your colonists or they deliberately cook themselves. I'm researching fire foam now but it is pretty far down the technology list and won't make inferno cannons any less impossible to deal with

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

My favourite centipede murder trick was to build a sealed over around the crashed ship part, then fill it with wood and other flammables before setting off an IED in there so that the temperature rockets to 1000 degrees and melts the cretinous fucks to death.

Centipedes are honestly fine on the whole, though, the only real problem with them is that inferno cannons are anti-fun bullshit because they essentially ignore cover and if any of your colonists ever get winged by a shell they run around in the open getting murdered while on fire. The other ones you can easily deal with by flanking but inferno cannons basically deny an area for like 2 minutes making it impossible to do so effectively.

Also, for people doing permadeath, pre-emptively murder cougars with a pack of colonists, just lost a really good crafter to a cougar attack after it wandered into my settlement and murdered a dude. Those things hit hard and fast.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I prefer taming dangerous animals before they attack my colonists. Now I have an attack force of 6 grizzlies and a cougar, along with 16 hares. Never going to have a hard winter now.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Drone_Fragger posted:

The only sensible thing to do is flood the plain in front of your fortress with magma. Nothing will go wrong.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also, for people doing permadeath, pre-emptively murder cougars with a pack of colonists, just lost a really good crafter to a cougar attack after it wandered into my settlement and murdered a dude. Those things hit hard and fast.

Grizzlies are now kill on sight in my colony after losing my best sharpshooter to a bear attack. Her brother had to shoot the thing off her corpse only to find the bear had already eaten the head, and arm, and a leg :smith:

They can't stand up to the entire colony opening fire at once, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Attempting to tame them seems to really help, they only come after you when they're hungry, so keeping them sated works.

Making sacrifices to the bear god.