Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That's an awfully cynical title when you could have gone with something nice like "You can finally go steady with Solaire" or "The eternal quest to join dragondorks" or "Don't pick sorcerer". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eddain posted:

How many ways are there to recover FP in this game? Is there a regen ring like in Demon's Souls? Are there consumables like grass? Or are you entirely reliant on Ashen Estus?

The primary way is through Ashen Estus. There is a weapon infusion that lowers the base damage and scaling of your weapon, adds some Magic damage, and provides very slow FP recovery. There is also a ring that restores FP when doing a critical attack (ripostes/backstabs).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Discounting the off chance that it's not in the game, how is the Moonlight Great Sword this time around? My second run is always a mad dash straight to it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

White Phosphorus posted:

This weapon arts business worries me. Does this mean I HAVE to use shields now?

EDIT also LUCK? From loves introducing strange new mechanics that enrage fans. Looking forward to 30 pages of "LUCK ruined the series" chat.

SOMEone is a filthy casual who never played Demon's Souls. (Luck is not a new mechanic, it's in fact an old mechanic re-introduced)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dandywalken posted:

Am I the Furtive Pygmy?

Probably not since him and his daughters all got killed in the first 2 games. I am hornily ready to be proven wrong, not in the thread though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being able to restore FP over time would completely defeat the point of tying it to a limited resource. That'd be like if a ring restored your health over time. Of course you'd have to be a real loser to sit still slooooooooooowly letting a ring refill your health bar rather than pressing forward, right? :v:

HellCopter posted:

Discounting the off chance that it's not in the game, how is the Moonlight Great Sword this time around? My second run is always a mad dash straight to it.

There's a 0% chance that it is not in the game. From puts it in every game they make nowadays.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is the game better on Pc or console? As far as responsiveness and fluidity.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I'm kind of afraid of the pc specs. 750 TI minimum req? I'm running a 560 ti, and ran DS2 with absolutely no fps loss.... That's not a real minimum is it?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

I'm kind of afraid of the pc specs. 750 TI minimum req? I'm running a 560 ti, and ran DS2 with absolutely no fps loss.... That's not a real minimum is it?

Considering DS3 is designed to run on systems magnitudes more powerful than DS2... probably.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Follow up, should I not even bother on Pc unless I have a controller?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Is the game better on Pc or console? As far as responsiveness and fluidity.

PC's doing better so far, if only because of the higher frame ceiling. Controller is recommended.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jastiger posted:

I played both of the previous games just fine with M+KB. Yes, you'll probably have to do some fiddling to get it working perfectly, but nothing major. If it doesn't work well out of the box (likely, considering the series' history) then there will be a fan patch or auto hotkey script to make it work that someone will pop out within hours of release.

Obsessive nerds will tell you that you're an uncouth heathen for daring to use anything but a gamepad, and they will want to explain to you in detail why their subjective opinion is correct. Ignore them and play with whatever you prefer.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Jastiger posted:

I wouldn't bother. That's why I purchased a used 360 controller at gamestop years ago for $10. I would highly recommend it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly don't get how you can play with a mouse since my problem with it was that there aren't enough buttons on it. If you have one of those fancy mouses with more than 3 buttons that's not an issue but with a regular one it seemed impossible.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I've been keeping my hype in check because really, a 40 year old man shouldn't be getting excited for video games any more. But holy poo poo am I pumped for tomorrow!

I can't remember if this was answered in the last thread, but is there a password system this time? And if so has a goon password been decided yet?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

w1ntermute posted:

I wouldn't bother. That's why I purchased a used 360 controller at gamestop years ago for $10. I would highly recommend it.

Yeah I have a 360. Looks like investing in an adapter may make sense. I've played all previous games on 360, but I can't monopolize the TV anymore. PC it is.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite setup in DS2 was a light-armored dodgy character that power stanced a rapier and a falchion for its fun, useful, and varied moveset. Refused to ever use a shield or ranged weapon.

Anyone who's played the game have any advice if I want to go down a similar path in DS3? I was planning on focusing dex a bunch, but if it turns out that stat scaling is garbage like DS1 on release, or dex weapons are utter trash like DS2 on release, or something else of that nature, then maybe I should reconsider. Maybe dual wielding is terrible? Who knows. Is it worth shoving a bunch of points into attunement for focus points, or are you better off sticking to more traditional melee stats? What sorts of weapons are worth using and upgrading? Any tips like that would be cool.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly don't get how you can play with a mouse since my problem with it was that there aren't enough buttons on it. If you have one of those fancy mouses with more than 3 buttons that's not an issue but with a regular one it seemed impossible.

Fair point, I do have a 5 button mouse which allows for mapping R1/2, L1/2, and lock-on all to the mouse buttons. But you could probably move some of those to keys instead without too much trouble. I just never got used to slow analog stick camera movement in 3-D games, so I stick to M+KB in any game that it's even remotely possible to use it in.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

HairyManling posted:

I've been keeping my hype in check because really, a 40 year old man shouldn't be getting excited for video games any more. But holy poo poo am I pumped for tomorrow!

I can't remember if this was answered in the last thread, but is there a password system this time? And if so has a goon password been decided yet?

One of my agents, who has millions of dollars in his book, told me last week he'd be OOTO Tuesday playing this all day. Which hopefully means that without him sending in new policies no one will notice that I'm gone too.

We might be grown ups, but we're still allowed our vices.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Internet Kraken posted:

Shift and control hotkey with m1 and m2, but yeah its super annoying. Half the time I'd reach over to my arrow keys to swap stuff which has gotten me killed a non-zero amount of times :v:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

HairyManling posted:

I'm pretty sure someone said in the other thread that a password was no longer a thing, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm older than you are and pumped as hell (and quite a few people at work are taking Tuesday off--granted, I work in a game studio, so it's not your normal bunch of supposed adults, but still...)

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I have a 360. Looks like investing in an adapter may make sense. I've played all previous games on 360, but I can't monopolize the TV anymore. PC it is.

You shouldn't need an adapter (unless I'm misunderstanding you). I just plug my 360 controller into my PC and it works.

Re: starting class, there's a min/max part of me that wants to pick a class that has <10 on the stats I don't care about, to get that much more mileage (e.g. if I don't care about strength or faith, and pick sorcerer that's 6 "free levels" since they start with 7 in both). On the other hand, deprived has a certain pull to it, since I've decided in advance that I'm going to savor this game like a fine wine and starting with a (relatively) clean slate just makes that even more fun. Decisions...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just hope cdkeys delivers before the unlock so I can preload.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I want to play as deprived but I don't want points in luck. Weirdly enough, I discovered you can make two! Characters in this game, so I'll just make my first one a deprived .

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I want to play as deprived but I don't want points in luck. Weirdly enough, I discovered you can make two! Characters in this game, so I'll just make my first one a deprived .

I want to put all my points in luck. gently caress the last game's droprates.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Please don't play Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

aas Bandit posted:

I'm pretty sure someone said in the other thread that a password was no longer a thing, but I could be wrong.

The password still exists, still lets you ignore SL and will manage your power level if it is massively different from the summoner.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

I'm pretty sure someone said in the other thread that a password was no longer a thing, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm older than you are and pumped as hell (and quite a few people at work are taking Tuesday off--granted, I work in a game studio, so it's not your normal bunch of supposed adults, but still...)
Ok cool, thanks. And yeah the age comment was more tongue in cheek than anything. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vargs posted:

My favorite setup in DS2 was a light-armored dodgy character that power stanced a rapier and a falchion for its fun, useful, and varied moveset. Refused to ever use a shield or ranged weapon.

Anyone who's played the game have any advice if I want to go down a similar path in DS3? I was planning on focusing dex a bunch, but if it turns out that stat scaling is garbage like DS1 on release, or dex weapons are utter trash like DS2 on release, or something else of that nature, then maybe I should reconsider. Maybe dual wielding is terrible? Who knows. Is it worth shoving a bunch of points into attunement for focus points, or are you better off sticking to more traditional melee stats? What sorts of weapons are worth using and upgrading? Any tips like that would be cool.

As a general rule, basically anything is good in DS3, from early reports. However, it does not have DS2's dual wielding system, so dual wielding is usually relegated to specific dual wielding weaponry, special weapons that have a dual wielding moveset rather than a two-handed one. However, should you still want to, rapier is one of the more solid choices for traditional dual wielding due to having a parry instead of a lovely block when wielded off-hand.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

The password still exists, still lets you ignore SL and will manage your power level if it is massively different from the summoner.
Huh, ok that's good to know.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Infinity Gaia posted:

As a general rule, basically anything is good in DS3, from early reports. However, it does not have DS2's dual wielding system, so dual wielding is usually relegated to specific dual wielding weaponry, special weapons that have a dual wielding moveset rather than a two-handed one. However, should you still want to, rapier is one of the more solid choices for traditional dual wielding due to having a parry instead of a lovely block when wielded off-hand.

drat it I loved dual wielding cestuses. :(

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

drat it I loved dual wielding cestuses. :(

Then try the Cestus' two-handed stance

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 11, 2016

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Ah, cool--thanks for the correction (and also, that's a pretty interesting feature)!

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Pwnstar posted:

Please don't play Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard.

I actually preferred m+k in DS2, it took a bit of getting used to. DS1 needs a gamepad though for sure.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Steam is pushing that stupid controller of theirs with ds3 for 40% off.
Is it good for ds? Any one with any experience with that controller?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Important question: Can the knight fast roll with his starting equipment? I'm coming from Bloodborne so I need to be as agile as possible.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
(spoilers: small bit of a location, armor/weapons incl. returning items, covenant interactions?) Soon friends, soon

There was a blue there too but he died as I was running down to the party.
If you can spot the host you win.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

so is this a 3-way melee?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

WaltherFeng posted:

Important question: Can the knight fast roll with his starting equipment? I'm coming from Bloodborne so I need to be as agile as possible.

yes

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

porkinson posted:

Steam is pushing that stupid controller of theirs with ds3 for 40% off.
Is it good for ds? Any one with any experience with that controller?

No. Use the ps4 controller. Takes a bit to set up but is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

GreyPowerVan posted:

so is this a 3-way melee?

The only people who can't damage each other in that scenario are sunnyd and the host.