Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Woo, beat the last boss(and the game). I really enjoyed it. If Dark Souls 3 wasn't coming out soon I'd start over as a mage.

Also I respecced into Greathammers/Greataxes in NG+ and they're pretty great. The only problem is you can only 2-hand rank 5 ones, which is fine, but that means you can't use a torch and fight at the same time which is a huge issue. So if anyone goes the Greathammer/Greataxe/ect. route I recommend keeping a rank 4 weapon for your 1-handed loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The higher rank weapons aren't even necessarily better. Most of them are actually straight up worse than some of their Level 3 or 4 counterparts.

I started a new game trying to use Scythe + Magic + Heavy Armor as a nice change from Dex Sword + Light Armor + Shield, and I was facerolling the game early on when I was, ironically, using a Greatsword. Switched to a Haymaker and then managed to get a Red Lord ear early to make the Black Crescent (now IV), but holy poo poo I have hit a wall with Hager's/top of the Dome... I can probably kill the HUsk, gotten him down to almost dead, but the damage output is just not hitting that sweet spot even though I've been stacking Dex and Str where I can. The Lamb is just a dick and unless I get lucky and he spams the lightning attack, I can't get him below a quarter health, almost got him one time.

The problem is to not have the fatroll you need to have a STUPID amount of Endurance, and unlike DS Endurance doesn't boost anything other than carry weight. I'm stuck using a Split set mixed with a Warden Smock and no helmet for fire resist gear, and as it stands now I HAVE to wear an Endurance ring and a Str ring just to have decent damage output. I'm probably underleveled (42ish) but I don't remember having nearly this much trouble last time, and I feel like my damage output with the Steel Centipede was straight up better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Welcome to dex weapons, they're underpowered. You might get better results with a halberd, I got a lot of good use out of the rank 4 one. Ignore the rank 5 halberd though, it does less damage than the rank 4 for some reason and there's no way to use it one handed.

I gave up in NG+ after killing the cyclops and jester when I got sick of how little damage my dex weapons were doing, with no way to get more damage besides putting more points in dex.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, only the lightest heavy armor sets are worth using. I used the Leather set for most of the game. Well, the Leather chest piece and pants at least since I was using the Blacksmith gloves(+3 Strength) and Pumpkin helm.

For weapons I used Axe+shield the whole game and it worked extremely well. Damage is about half of a 2-hand weapon but you swing pretty fast(with the attack speed charm) and can juggle enemies in the air. And shields are just good in general, though the heavy ones have the same problem as heavy armor. I also had a bow for pulling enemies from afar.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 11, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finally got around to running through NG+ with my magic build, and it's actually a bit harder than I thought. Since I'm using light armor, most bosses kill me in one hit. I'm doing pretty insane damage, though. I'm gonna get everything exported to YT, but here's my 30s Tree of Men kill on twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/notecec/v/59775332

I...might be able to run through the rest of the game tomorrow. I have a feeling once DS3 comes out I'll never touch this again, so I need to hurry up and get these last two or three trophies.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Thing with greatsword/axe weapons is that two handing them is a really big advantage for str weapons. Your str stat gets a 1.5x boost when you two hand. Meaning you hit the soft cap for str at just 34. 31 if you wear blacksmith gloves. So you can dump your levels into end, stamina, or anything really. A lot of room to work with. And the great scissors are like the best weapon in the game with that two handed triangle attack. And they're like a rank 2 or 3 weapon. Meaning you can hit the soft cap scaling on them really early in the game and just destroy bosses. It's ridiculous really.

I leveled up to level 5 GS until I found this out. Then I just used all my respec crystals to lose some str levels and put those into end so I can wear any heavy armor I wanted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game is out on steam suddenly. It's cool and you should buy it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I ended up not enjoying Dark Souls 3 very much. This game looks rad and I want to buy it on my PC now. Is there a big weapon variety (that's worth using?). I thought the weapon selection was cool in DS3, but big weapons were a disadvantage in PvE and every weapon felt the same to me. Is that a problem in S&S?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I bought this yesterday because for some unknown reason I didn't buy it when it came out for PS4? In any case, I'm enjoying it greatly but personally I feel it's VERY hard. I love it but drat if I'm not getting my rear end kicked a lot.

I apologize for not reading through all 26 pages, I assume I'm gonna retread some stuff you guys have already talked about. I don't really like the differentiation (kind of) between XP and money. Losing a percentage of your gold on death has so far made it impossible for me to buy anything worthwhile that's not a one time consumable. I guess this might get better and/or less of an issue further into the game but as of now it's really kind of pissing me off. At least make it so I can get (parts?) of my gold back along with my salt.

I'm also not a huge fan of your lost Salts always being linked to a monster you have to kill (unless you fall to your death or something). It makes exploring very punishing because if you run somewhere where an enemy can kick your rear end in one hit, there's no way to get your salt back. You'll have to go back to kill it to get your salt back and since it'll kill you in one hit, it doesn't even feel worth the backtrack half of the time. At least there's a halfway decent compromise with bosses where you just have to hurt them enough instead of outright killing them to get your salt back.

Other than that I'm loving it and I'm sure once I get more into the meat of the game and get better with controls etc. I'll love it even more!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I ended up not enjoying Dark Souls 3 very much. This game looks rad and I want to buy it on my PC now. Is there a big weapon variety (that's worth using?). I thought the weapon selection was cool in DS3, but big weapons were a disadvantage in PvE and every weapon felt the same to me. Is that a problem in S&S?

Not even a tiny bit. Big weapons own in Salt and Sanctuary. I might even go so far as to say that greatswords in Salt and Sanctuary occupy the same spot as straight swords in Dark Souls 3, though of course without the PvP element.

It's worth noting that magic is also very viable in Salt and Sanctuary and quite a bit flashier than it is in most Souls games.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

abraxas posted:

I bought this yesterday because for some unknown reason I didn't buy it when it came out for PS4? In any case, I'm enjoying it greatly but personally I feel it's VERY hard. I love it but drat if I'm not getting my rear end kicked a lot.

I apologize for not reading through all 26 pages, I assume I'm gonna retread some stuff you guys have already talked about. I don't really like the differentiation (kind of) between XP and money. Losing a percentage of your gold on death has so far made it impossible for me to buy anything worthwhile that's not a one time consumable. I guess this might get better and/or less of an issue further into the game but as of now it's really kind of pissing me off. At least make it so I can get (parts?) of my gold back along with my salt.

I'm also not a huge fan of your lost Salts always being linked to a monster you have to kill (unless you fall to your death or something). It makes exploring very punishing because if you run somewhere where an enemy can kick your rear end in one hit, there's no way to get your salt back. You'll have to go back to kill it to get your salt back and since it'll kill you in one hit, it doesn't even feel worth the backtrack half of the time. At least there's a halfway decent compromise with bosses where you just have to hurt them enough instead of outright killing them to get your salt back.

Other than that I'm loving it and I'm sure once I get more into the meat of the game and get better with controls etc. I'll love it even more!

Hey abraxas it seems pretty hard for me tooo. There seem like there are a lot of attacks that are really difficult to roll through!!! And the 2d world is harder to keep an internal map of compared to 3d environments....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree, Salt and Sanctuary feels harder than any Souls game to me, and I really do think it needs a map for all of the reasons everyone points out. Deaths by gravity are distressingly common for me, too--I wish it was possible to pan out and around a bit so you can at least consistently see if a drop has a bottom.

I had a lot of trouble with some of the bosses, too, mostly because I had a hard time getting a handle on the iframe timing on rolls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

I agree, Salt and Sanctuary feels harder than any Souls game to me, and I really do think it needs a map for all of the reasons everyone points out. Deaths by gravity are distressingly common for me, too--I wish it was possible to pan out and around a bit so you can at least consistently see if a drop has a bottom.

Uh, you can? Right analog stick, dude.

As for maps, there is one provided by the devs and labeled with area names on the wiki.

It's lacking details but it is accurate to the gameworld.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Uh, you can? Right analog stick, dude.

As for maps, there is one provided by the devs and labeled with area names on the wiki.

It's lacking details but it is accurate to the gameworld.

It doesn't pan that far, though, which is one of those things that isn't an issue in a 3D space and would be less of an issue with an accurate, in-game map like the post-SOTN Castlevanias have. Like, that map is cool, but I'm talking about a detailed map of each area that fills in as you explore like Castlevania has. It's harder to orient yourself in a 2D space, especially without really, really distinctive landmarks, which is why a game like Dark Souls has no need of an in-game map but Salt and Sanctuary would really benefit from one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't disagree that a map would be nice, but it's hardly necessary imo. I feel the environments are distinctive enough to allow you to make a good mental map of things.

As for panning the camera, it's enough to let you see if there's a platform for like 95% of the drops in the game, the only exceptions being the hidden drops you can just barely survive to get a secret.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I don't disagree that a map would be nice, but it's hardly necessary imo. I feel the environments are distinctive enough to allow you to make a good mental map of things.

As for panning the camera, it's enough to let you see if there's a platform for like 95% of the drops in the game, the only exceptions being the hidden drops you can just barely survive to get a secret.

Yeah but it's a game that gives you the power to decide where you want your fast travel points to be, I wish a map could be at least FOUND to let you coordinate which Sanctuaries you want to upgrade with what services.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does the roll have iframes or am I just stupidly dodging into swords and getting plowed for no reason?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does the roll have iframes or am I just stupidly dodging into swords and getting plowed for no reason?

You can roll through attacks and it's definitely necessary for some of the later bosses. You have to get into the odd habit of running up right into someones grill and then rolling through them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does healing work in this? Is it a system like Estus flasks or is healing a consumable?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wildtortilla posted:

How does healing work in this? Is it a system like Estus flasks or is healing a consumable?

Healing items technically differ by covenant, although I think they are all basically the same. Leveling up your covenant will grant you more consumables every time you spawn at a sanctuary (bonfire, basically), of which you can choose from this game's equivalents to pine resins or estus or whatever. It works pretty well, claiming sanctuaries for a particular covenant is an interesting evolution on the Souls formula imo. By the end of my first playthrough I had two lightning buff consumables guaranteed every time I spawned and it kicked rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone have tips for a mage build? I think I might do another run of this soon and magic looks fun and flashy. Is there a best creed (Fire and Sky vs. whatever the dark one is)? Is it worth it to make a hybrid build to use one of the magic-scaling swords?

Wildtortilla posted:

It's like Estus--you get refills by resting at sanctuaries. You can also level up your creed allegiance for extra heals or unlock more healing item slots in your skill tree. There are also healing consumables that are like DS2 Life Gems.

One cool thing is that you get a different healing item depending on the creed that a sanctuary belongs to. They all work the same (as far as I know), it's just a neat flavor thing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 18, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's like Estus--you get refills by resting at sanctuaries. You can also level up your creed allegiance for extra heals or unlock more healing item slots in your skill tree. There are also healing consumables that are like DS2 Life Gems.

One cool thing is that you get a different healing item depending on the creed that a sanctuary belongs to. They all work the same (as far as I know), it's just a neat flavor thing.

There are a few healing items that are functionally different, such as the Lilyred Wine which can poison you if you consume it too quickly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

There are a few healing items that are functionally different, such as the Lilyred Wine which can poison you if you consume it too quickly.

Yeah they actually all have subtle differences; one is more a rapid regen effect, one is an instant heal, one gives you regenerating health that persists a few seconds after you drink it, and there's the one that poisons you that you mentioned.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Any starting tips/class people can suggest? Going into this game completely blind and never played a Dark Souls game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Here's a reddit post compiling a lotta beginner tips https://www.reddit.com/r/saltandsanctuary/comments/4c6fcy/new_player_guidefaq/

I've got some questions. I like the tried and true souls strategy of use a fast weapon, buff it, and go to town, so I'm doing daggers with miracles (or whatever they're called. prayers?). I was spending quite a long time with my starting dagger, so I went on the wiki a bit to see that there's literally five daggers in the game, one for each rank. And it kinda looks like about half of them are bad. I do see that coincidentally the last dagger is a holy weapon so I guess I randomly picked the right combination, but am I going to get very familiar with my rank 2 dagger?

Next up, guns. I've been offhanding a pistol since I coincidentally picked up the skill for it, and it just seems really really bad. It does AoE damage and can be aimed, but the damage is like, not actually better at all than my melee weapons and the range is rear end. I can barely hit anything that I can't already reach otherwise, and the ammo is expensive as heck. Do guns suck? Or do I suck at using them?

And finally, since the second set of equipment is literally free to carry, it feels silly to not put anything there, but from the way the level curve has panned out thus far, I feel I would be spreading myself way too thin if I went for a third specialization on top of daggers and prayers. Is this actually the case? I would love to put like a spear or bow there to complement my tiny reach with my dagger.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Amppelix posted:

^^ Here's a reddit post compiling a lotta beginner tips https://www.reddit.com/r/saltandsanctuary/comments/4c6fcy/new_player_guidefaq/

I've got some questions. I like the tried and true souls strategy of use a fast weapon, buff it, and go to town, so I'm doing daggers with miracles (or whatever they're called. prayers?). I was spending quite a long time with my starting dagger, so I went on the wiki a bit to see that there's literally five daggers in the game, one for each rank. And it kinda looks like about half of them are bad. I do see that coincidentally the last dagger is a holy weapon so I guess I randomly picked the right combination, but am I going to get very familiar with my rank 2 dagger?

Pretty much, yeah. I'd suggest sub-classing some other weapon type to give yourself a bit of variety. Scythes are pretty drat good and there's even a wisdom scaling one you can make about 1/2-way through the game.

quote:

Next up, guns. I've been offhanding a pistol since I coincidentally picked up the skill for it, and it just seems really really bad. It does AoE damage and can be aimed, but the damage is like, not actually better at all than my melee weapons and the range is rear end. I can barely hit anything that I can't already reach otherwise, and the ammo is expensive as heck. Do guns suck? Or do I suck at using them?

I haven't played around with them too much but I found pistols to be pretty good. If you rank up with your creed you can start buying new types of bullets from merchants. Damage aside they're pretty good at stunning things, and you can stagger enemies a la Bloodborne and followu up with a critical attack if you shoot them while they're attacking. This also works for crossbows and bows.

quote:

And finally, since the second set of equipment is literally free to carry, it feels silly to not put anything there, but from the way the level curve has panned out thus far, I feel I would be spreading myself way too thin if I went for a third specialization on top of daggers and prayers. Is this actually the case? I would love to put like a spear or bow there to complement my tiny reach with my dagger.

You can't really spread yourself too thin. Remember that getting a weapon class proficiency also gives you stat bonuses, based on what weapon it is and what rank (e.g. lv. 3 swords will give you +3 strength), so it can be more advantageous to go for weapon proficiencies since you'll get that in addition to stats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How worthwhile is Wisdom in this? I'm considering a Strength/Wisdom guy for my next playthrough and going all-in on both, but I'm curious if the high-rank prayers and the few Wisdom-scaling weapons are worth it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

How worthwhile is Wisdom in this? I'm considering a Strength/Wisdom guy for my next playthrough and going all-in on both, but I'm curious if the high-rank prayers and the few Wisdom-scaling weapons are worth it.

The Prayers are decent. Extra healing is nice early on, and the defensive/offensive buffs are pretty useful. IIRC the offensive spells kinda suck tho.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think one of the best prayers is Light, due to allowing me to keep using my two handed weapon in dark zones.The healing is very effective, too, and the buff spells can make a significant different. The two straightforward offensive spells kinda suck but guardian blade is useful for helping break poise on bigger annoying enemies and occasionally bosses, since it's effectively doubling your hits.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I do hope I get a new weapon buff soon, the first one was kinda iffy when I got it and it's just been getting worse and worse. It lasts like twenty seconds and the damage is barely noticeable anymore.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Daggers and whips off in damage quickly compared to the other weapon types as you progress. You probably want to switch into another type eventually.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Pistols get very good later because they can hit flying/out-of-range things easily and put out fast damage. I beat a lot of the bosses that people said were the hardest in the game on my first try just because I could put out constant damage with a pistol no matter where they were. I never even found a different ammo type and didn't feel like I needed one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuligin posted:

Healing items technically differ by covenant, although I think they are all basically the same. Leveling up your covenant will grant you more consumables every time you spawn at a sanctuary (bonfire, basically), of which you can choose from this game's equivalents to pine resins or estus or whatever. It works pretty well, claiming sanctuaries for a particular covenant is an interesting evolution on the Souls formula imo. By the end of my first playthrough I had two lightning buff consumables guaranteed every time I spawned and it kicked rear end.

Some of the covenants have weird effects attached to their healing items, and some have healing items that are straight up better than the others. Each Covenant gets access to 4 different items along with a healing item, usually one of these is a Mana Potion that is basically an Ashen Estus, but the other 3 vary drastically between covenants. As you do Quests for the Leader NPCs of a given Covenant (place a Leader in one of their Sanctuaries, somewhere. It upgrades all sanctuaries of that Covenant with the bonuses) you will get an option to pick one of the 4 items. Whichever one you pick you will ALWAYS get whenever you rest/respawn at a Sanctuary of that Covenant. Some Covenants have some really badass damage buff type items a la Resins in Souls games, while several have unique items like the Mage Covenant which has a few special magic boosting items and such.

Amppelix posted:

There are several guns later on that just poo poo out damage, including the Gunsword which requires skill in both Firearms and Swords, but is HILARIOUS with the right buffs and ammo. It's also one of two weapons in the game that lets you retain an offhand ranged attack while still being able to equip a Charm. The Charm also buffs the projectiles... :getin:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 19, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did this game ever get a balance patch? I remember being really disappointed when I tried a poison/dagger build and both of those things turned out to be terrible. It's kind of dumb to make a poison-centric creed when it seemed like the majority of consequential enemies are immune to it.

There's a good variety of strong builds though, so don't let that scare you off if you're on the fence...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Did this game ever get a balance patch? I remember being really disappointed when I tried a poison/dagger build and both of those things turned out to be terrible. It's kind of dumb to make a poison-centric creed when it seemed like the majority of consequential enemies are immune to it.

There's a good variety of strong builds though, so don't let that scare you off if you're on the fence...

Don't think it did, but supposedly the dev was going to patch in some more content at some point... I'm not sure if that ever panned out, but maybe if the PC sales are good we'll see some more life out of it. I think the main problem was that it came out on PS4 only around the same time as The Division and then it was just overshadowed by Dark Souls 3. The fact that they're releasing it now after a large number of people have chewed up DS3 and want more is probably a great move, and hopefully it gets a lot of visibility and people grab it because it's seriously a phenomenal game. I actually enjoyed it more than DS3, call me a shitlord.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Don't think it did, but supposedly the dev was going to patch in some more content at some point... I'm not sure if that ever panned out, but maybe if the PC sales are good we'll see some more life out of it. I think the main problem was that it came out on PS4 only around the same time as The Division and then it was just overshadowed by Dark Souls 3. The fact that they're releasing it now after a large number of people have chewed up DS3 and want more is probably a great move, and hopefully it gets a lot of visibility and people grab it because it's seriously a phenomenal game. I actually enjoyed it more than DS3, call me a shitlord.

I liked it about as much as DS3, which is pretty good for a $20 game made by 2 people. I feel like they had pretty bad launch timing and very little buzz, unfortunately.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How effective / necessary is armor? Asking because I found the set of sick-rear end blue monk robes that have poo poo for defense. It seems like I can still take at least two hits from almost anything while wearing them, and since I'm going for a lightweight build anyway it doesn't seem like I'm handicapping myself too much. Basically, is the defensive increase actually noticeable if I put on some good stuff, or is it more like the difference between almost dying in three hits and dying in three hits?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Amppelix posted:

How effective / necessary is armor? Asking because I found the set of sick-rear end blue monk robes that have poo poo for defense. It seems like I can still take at least two hits from almost anything while wearing them, and since I'm going for a lightweight build anyway it doesn't seem like I'm handicapping myself too much. Basically, is the defensive increase actually noticeable if I put on some good stuff, or is it more like the difference between almost dying in three hits and dying in three hits?

Defense is decently useful but not worth min/maxing over. The extent I both with armor is equipping pieces with higher "X" resistance when fighting a boss that uses that damage type (e.g. lightning, fire).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright, that's as good a permission as any to ignore armor and play dressup instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Alright, that's as good a permission as any to ignore armor and play dressup instead.

Yeah, Fashion Salt wins out, though good fire and lightning resist will make some bosses hilariously easy vs poo poo-in-your-open-mouth hard.

• Locked thread