Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Also hilariously bad sex scenes but we don't talk about those.

I am a big fan of sabers bare breasts, tohsakas lewd anus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's not a particularly good writer but he's really drat good at worldbuilding so he's the Japanese Brian Herbert

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
For non-FGO talk, I finally went back and watched the final few episodes of Unlimited Blade Works, and I found it very enjoyable, especially since I could just watch one episode right after the other and not have to wait a week.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey, that's hell you're walking into.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I vaguely recall a moonspeaker saying that Nasu tends to write, like, not complicated, but fancy, with a certain sense of poetry to the narration that got totally butchered in the translation.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Kyte posted:

I vaguely recall a moonspeaker saying that Nasu tends to write, like, not complicated, but fancy, with a certain sense of poetry to the narration that got totally butchered in the translation.

BlitzBlast posted:

All I really remember being unique about Nasu's writing is that the man is a real fan of the dramatic. This dude did not just turn around, he spun his body around faster than anyone in the world has ever or will ever be capable of...!

This is the kind of feeling I got. The "Japanese e e cummings" quote was probably a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not sure if it's because it's objectively good writing, or perhaps more likely just because I'm a big nerd, but I eat that kind of poo poo up. Scenes like that which stick out in my mind as cool as gently caress are (F/HA spoilers) the climax of F/HA when Saber uses Excalibur on the shadow monsters trying to climb the building or (F/SN Heaven's Feel spoilers) Shirou killing Berserker alter with his own sword. The relative lack of writing like that in Tsukihime may be part of why I didn't enjoy it as much as the Fate series.

There are some examples of what I think are legitimately good writing, though, like the occasional really clever use of furigana over normally unrelated kanji, or (more F/HA spoilers) when Avenger was possessing Shirou, his first person pronoun was written as オレ instead of 俺. I didn't notice that happening until the very end, and when I did finally figure it out, the realization hit me like a loving ton of bricks.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
There are things about his prose I like, and he's improved a lot in his writing overall since FSN, but it's his character writing and world building that have always been his strongest points. Regarding the latter, he feeds you just enough technical detail to serve the purpose of the narrative, while leaving space for the reader to fill in the blanks on their own eg the specifics of magecraft/magic, the grail system, mystic eyes etc. He also doesn't mind being flexible about "canon" if it serves the story better to ignore it, which he's talked about indirectly before.

Anyways, have some out of context bits from Mahoyo that I liked

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Character and world building is what attracted me most to Type-Moon stuff. You get a sense of everyone as a character no matter how major or minor and what their place is in the TM universe.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
punch shinji

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Speaking of the writing, America has a hilarious plot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

Edison: “There is no hard work without leisure! We will play three times as hard as a normal person, work three times as hard as a normal person, and keep winning three times as much! That is the new America I envision!”

MAGA Lionman....

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Geronimo, talking about Liz and Nero posted:

“I think I understand the reason for Rome’s decline…”

:pwn:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Rama and Florence interaction is great. 19-20th century nurse stuffing India's greatest legend in a bag, thank you Nasu

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fionn spends his entire time poking fun at Diarmuid, it's the best.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
stop giving me 5 star craft essences :argh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

-Troika- posted:

stop giving me 5 star craft essences :argh:

I mean, some are certainly nice to have for the versatility once I figure out how I'm supposed to use them on what Servants...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I already have most of the good 5-star CEs though, I want more Servants.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

no

give other people some servants already

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

InfinityComplex posted:

no

give other people some servants already

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So there isn't much info on the current event on either Cirnopedia or the FGO wiki, could anyone who understands moonrunes give the rest of us a short rundown?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

So there isn't much info on the current event on either Cirnopedia or the FGO wiki, could anyone who understands moonrunes give the rest of us a short rundown?

This twitter account gives info in English as it comes out.

Looks like a do quests to get items sort of event, with different classes giving more of certain items, and new CEs that also give item bonuses.

One new servant mentioned, Jeanne Alter, but she's just through the limited time gacha.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Here is a guide

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A gacha that boosts the rate of one servant and three craft essences must be some kind of sick joke.

I am buried in Kuzukis right now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It's a really good servant and those CE boost drop rate though.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Thank god for this event. For some reason Memu crashes on me when the EXP hands attack or get hit, so this event is a life saver.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you're having problems with MEMU, go in the options and assign it more memory. That clears up my problems.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

-Troika- posted:

If you're having problems with MEMU, go in the options and assign it more memory. That clears up my problems.

I have. I did everything to set it up, gave it the max amount of memory and cpu allocation, and even that virtualization poo poo. Its given me no other problems at all. But for some reason just the gold EXP hands cause it to crash every time.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:iiam:

I have no clue why some poo poo works properly and some doesn't with all these wierd new emulators. I miss when you could just toss poo poo into bluestacks and it worked with no bullshit.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

da vinciiiiiiiiiiiiiiii why do you mock me

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the Jeannes will make catty comments about each other if you put them in the same party.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I looked through the pay menu on a whim, and it looks like they added an option to spend $100 at once now.

DW must be rolling in cash, christ.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jeanne Alter ascension art.

Somehow, both more, and less fantservicy than I expected.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Takeuchi needs to stop with the clip on long hair tho.

BlitzBlast posted:

A gacha that boosts the rate of one servant and three craft essences must be some kind of sick joke.

I am buried in Kuzukis right now.

Rate up doesn't change the rates of each type tho. It only affects what will you get within the category.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 11, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh, that's reasonable then.

Also 160 quartz and loving nothing! Great.

EDIT:

It's a shame Carnival Phantasm aired before F/GO came out. They could have done so much with it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, that's reasonable then.
Yeah, especially since alt jenney is the only avenger in the category, you will get her 100% if you hit that class category.

i got her on the 29th roll

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So what do I do with these black and white pages? I don't see anywhere to turn them into something.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PunkBoy posted:

So what do I do with these black and white pages? I don't see anywhere to turn them into something.

They're used to p ull the event slot machine thingy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a shame Carnival Phantasm aired before F/GO came out. They could have done so much with it.

I'm actually grateful that the above fact is true.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Anybody want a decent-ish FGO account? I'm too busy to play lately and there is a lack of desire to play as well so I figure I might as well pass it off to someone who wants it for free.

If anybody is interested, then I'll get myself Platinum and PM the details of the account. :v:

Those are just a portion of the things I have. All Quartz have already been rolled off, so expect to start saving from scratch.

edit: welp. foiled.

i wanted to get Platinum early anyway, but there is this: "SA Forums Store: The SA Store is currently closed pending migration to new systems. It should be back up sometime after 10PM CST."

BurningDance fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Namtab posted:

I'm actually grateful that the above fact is true.

Me too. Since I will never play FGO.