Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

RareAcumen posted:

These look fine.

The spam and hot dogs plus the kimchi are pretty weird. I feel like all that being mixed together is going to be awful. And the hot-dog-and-bean-pie topped with fake cheese, ew. At least use real cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Way too wet.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
My dad grew up in Indiana in the 40s and sometimes talks about the food. Oregano was an exotic spice to be used sparingly, and he ate pizza for the first time as a teenager. I'll have to ask if they ate a ton of canned food. I remember hating visiting his mom's house because the food she cooked was always insanely salty and it invariably featured some sort of green vegetable with all the green boiled out of it, and then salted. That sort of poo poo is why people think they don't like vegetables. :smith:

Reeses produces enormous eggs of roughly this volume around easter and I always eat at least one or two every year with a deep sense of shameful delight. How can such poo poo quality chocolate be so good. How.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Scathach posted:

No wonder America is so damned fat.

This is budae jjigae before the stock and gochugaru/gochujang are added. It's a Korean dish that is extremely good and not at all disgusting.

AnonSpore has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Apr 11, 2016

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

No pic because it was a million years ago, but one of my Mom's boyfriends used to eat mayo and peanut butter on toast and dip it in his coffee. I always assumed I remembered it wrong, that it was cream cheese, but I asked, and nope. Mayo and PB.

I grew up pretty poor and didn't eat a lot of non-canned, non-preprepared food growing up, so when I became an adult I went crazy trying all the fruits and veggies I didn't get as a child. Turns out I like a bunch of poo poo that I thought I hated. But now I can't bring myself to eat things I used to love, like pickled herring.

And to eat goon who dropped the knowledge about wasps and figs, thanks. I didn't know that. And now that I know did are delicious and remove an rear end in a top hat wasp from the world, they taste better.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

bulletsponge13 posted:

No pic because it was a million years ago, but one of my Mom's boyfriends used to eat mayo and peanut butter on toast and dip it in his coffee. I always assumed I remembered it wrong, that it was cream cheese, but I asked, and nope. Mayo and PB.

Hey, sorry for not sticking around.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

AlbieQuirky posted:

Now do Mexico!

I thought Mexico was in America?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

AnonSpore posted:

This is budae jjigae before the stock and gochugaru/gochujang are added. It's a Korean dish that is extremely good and not at all disgusting.

Oh hell, after recently discovering Korean food I'd have to try that. I think it's nearly impossible to have bad Korean food.

Mmm peanut butter pie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scathach posted:

The spam and hot dogs plus the kimchi are pretty weird. I feel like all that being mixed together is going to be awful. And the hot-dog-and-bean-pie topped with fake cheese, ew. At least use real cheese.

From a visual standpoint, not in a 'I would eat this' way. :v:

AnonSpore posted:

Vindication.

Semisponge posted:

Reeses produces enormous eggs of roughly this volume around easter and I always eat at least one or two every year with a deep sense of shameful delight. How can such poo poo quality chocolate be so good. How.

There's no way Reeses uses the same chocolate as everyone else right?

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Apr 11, 2016

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Scathach posted:

No wonder America is so damned fat.

Unashamedly would make this into a pizza

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Scathach posted:

Holy hell I love you people but you really need to experience authentic, handmade tamales. They are so much better than that weird mess and wax paper and tortillas are never involved.

Anyway.

That's a Low Country Boil. Would. So Very Much Would. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafood_boil#Georgia_and_South_Carolina

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

AnonSpore posted:

THANK YOU I was about to get really mad. Love budae jigae, except when they add ramyeon (I do not like [cooked] packaged ramen noodles). xtra Spam and add some tomatoes, trust me.

Scathach posted:

Oh my god those awful canned potatoes. Saddest food yet. Somehow they're always sour.

I genuinely did not know canned potatoes were a thing until I was in my mid-twenties. Someone posted in the general discussion thread of GWS that they were a cook at a homeless shelter for teenagers (I think?) and they were having difficulty finding recipes the kids would eat that they could cook with their donated foodstuffs. I wish that guy had done an A/T.

My mother's rule regarding canned foods: unless they are tomatoes or you canned it yourself, NOT ALLOWED. In case anyone wondered what my crazy mother would say. it seems to be a running theme in my posts.

GOD HAS DIED

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's literally nothing wrong with canned foods and those who think there is are the worst kinds of food snobs.

I use those canned potatoes in cooking. They're excellent in a homemade vindaloo :colbert:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PB&M

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only acceptable canned food is Libby's corned beef and any soups/stews with the exception of Progresso. Also corn, green beans, whole pineapples, tuna, tomatoes in various forms, beans, fruit salads, juices, and stocks. Anything else though.....gross.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ddraig posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with canned foods and those who think there is are the worst kinds of food snobs.

I use those canned potatoes in cooking. They're excellent in a homemade vindaloo :colbert:

I could rant for hours about the food my parents eat. I've discovered that they just hate flavor at all, and to this day they still bitch about how when I cooked for them I used "too much onions and garlic." By that it was one small onion, and one clove of garlic.

Basically everything they eat comes from a can, box, or is frozen. It's so sad that they're so used to eating that way, that an actual home-cooked meal with effort put into it is not good to them.

That said, I actually don't have issues with that pre-made stuff, it's a great timesaver. I don't care if you throw down a can of something, or a box of Betty Crocker if you're actually putting effort into something, it's just when that's all you eat it's sad :smith:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Ddraig posted:

Except canned green beans. Or canned asparagus.

Canned beans (not green beans; black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas) save a ton of time. Tomatoes and artichoke hearts are a no-brainer. Most other canned veggies are easier to find and cheaper frozen. And not as water-logged.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Canned potatoes sound really icky to me. :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

THANK YOU I was about to get really mad. Love budae jigae, except when they add ramyeon (I do not like [cooked] packaged ramen noodles). xtra Spam and add some tomatoes, trust me.
A pinch of baking soda in the boiling water for ramen noodles improves them considerably; it acts a bit like the kansui mineral water in the fresh stuff. Just toss that water and use new if you intend to eat them in soup.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Scathach posted:

Have you not seen actual cheddar before in your life or...?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pickled shitweasel fetus with blueberries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Semisponge posted:

My dad grew up in Indiana in the 40s and sometimes talks about the food. Oregano was an exotic spice to be used sparingly, and he ate pizza for the first time as a teenager. I'll have to ask if they ate a ton of canned food. I remember hating visiting his mom's house because the food she cooked was always insanely salty and it invariably featured some sort of green vegetable with all the green boiled out of it, and then salted. That sort of poo poo is why people think they don't like vegetables. :smith:

I was doing some research on food history because of all the "White people food is gross and bland" jokes and it seems like what most people joke about as "white people food" is actually just food descended from poverty and is usually eaten by the poor still today. World War II helped kill a lot of the use of spices and interesting foods in America and the UK due to rationing and American cuisine suffered in the 19th century with the large portion of the population engaging in travel and settlement, so only the really egalitarian parts of the populations continued eating anything awesome. We're finally now in an age where people are rich enough and transport is cheap enough that you can create virtually any world cuisine with as much or as little spice as you want for a low price, but the momentum of the past has kept the shittier stuff going.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

bulletsponge13 posted:

PB and Mayo is an excellent sandwich. Even better with Tabasco added.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I loving knew a corn sandwich was inevitable.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Thought for sure I had a winner, but alas

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's that old Simpsons joke where Marge sees a spice rack and says something along the lines of "Eight herbs? Some of those have got to be doubles. .... Oregano?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_KilRD-do

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ddraig posted:

There's that old Simpsons joke where Marge sees a spice rack and says something along the lines of "Eight herbs? Some of those have got to be doubles. .... Oregano?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_KilRD-do

"They replaced my cilantro with coriander!"

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Have you not seen actual cheddar before in your life or...?

The stuff criss crossing that pie thing looks nothing like actual cheddar.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, it does. I could go out right now, drive two minutes to the local dairy wholesaler, and pick up a 10-year old cheddar block and it would look similar melted.

This topic seems to come up every time someone posts an orange cheese, like everyone thinks every orange cheese is velveeta or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cheddar is a spectrum, peeeople!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yes, it does. I could go out right now, drive two minutes to the local dairy wholesaler, and pick up a 10-year old cheddar block and it would look similar melted.

This topic seems to come up every time someone posts an orange cheese, like everyone thinks every orange cheese is velveeta or something.

I don't get the velveeta hate. It works perfectly for what it was meant for, a cheese and melts extremely easily and doesn't clump up or have pools of fat in the sauce. Same with margarine, great for baking, terrible for any other alternative use of butter.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of margarine

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

pentyne posted:

I don't get the velveeta hate. It works perfectly for what it was meant for, a cheese and melts extremely easily and doesn't clump up or have pools of fat in the sauce. Same with margarine, great for baking, terrible for any other alternative use of butter.

What? Why would you not use real cheese instead of velveeta, and why wouldn't you use real butter in baking instead of margarine?

You literally can't buy Velveeta or any Velveeta like product in Australia and I've never thought to myself "You know what, I wish this cheese was easier to melt and also, not actually cheese."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

deadly_pudding posted:

I suffer through an eternity of smooth marinara because my girlfriend, though she likes vegetables, can't deal with the texture of an intact piece of tomato. I guess, realistically, I can probably afford to just buy my own sauce separately, but we don't go through it fast enough to not end up wasting it. There's not a lot of things more pathetic than an opened jar of tomato sauce from like 2 months ago that you forgot was in your fridge.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add bonus sugar in the "American-Style" family restaurants that they have over there, which is usually where I imagine that particular meal being served anyway. That said, I'm pretty sure most commercial ketchups state-side already have HFCF in them because heaven forbid we eat a thing that's not sweetened.

I have the same problem your gf has i love the taste of tomatoes but the texture of them triggers my gag reflex even raw un cooked ones. I drink a lot of v8 and eat a lot of tomato soups.

as for hfcs it is in most things but not everything you can generally find a version of anything w/o hfcs in even walmart. Just gotta read the labels.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Megabound posted:

What? Why would you not use real cheese instead of velveeta, and why wouldn't you use real butter in baking instead of margarine?

You literally can't buy Velveeta or any Velveeta like product in Australia and I've never thought to myself "You know what, I wish this cheese was easier to melt and also, not actually cheese."

Because most people don't keep sodium citrate to allow normal cheese to emulsify and remain that way? It is real cheese and it has a few legitimate uses.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
This was made by a masterchef competitor in brazil. No, she did not win the round.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

BraveUlysses posted:

Because most people don't keep sodium citrate to allow normal cheese to emulsify and remain that way? It is real cheese and it has a few legitimate uses.
I love how you have a distinction between "normal" cheese and "real" cheese, somehow. Also, I have never bought not-cheese and also never used sodium citrate (that's a lie, I made some buffer solutions with it in the lab) for anything, I wouldn't even know why. What DO you "emulsify" cheese with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Semisponge posted:

That's half of the package they sell around Valentines day, IIRC it's two half pound Reese cups.