Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sunswipe posted:

Just had a thought: is there anything in Star Citizen that's done right? Something, anything, that makes sense and works?

someone definitely made the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

SurfaceDetail posted:

someone definitely made the website.

Yeah, but the bug council thingi on the website is broke as well.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The local gravity grids tech is pretty neat. Possibly the only innovative thing that's actually been semi implemented at this point.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Every single one looks shifty as gently caress.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

In the future information technology has stagnated, which is what necessitates the existence of an "info-runner" ship to begin with :smug:

The concept of the info-runner itself is actually one of the few novel things that CR has implemented. Basically the idea is that FTL travel is only possible through jump points, which means that FTL communication is only possible through jump points. So in order for a piece of data to get from System A to System B it has to physically cross each jump point via comm buoy and then travel across each system. Comm buoys only discharge at a set rate so you have the time delay associated with crossing the system as well as the time delay associated with the buoy jumping across. Think of it as an in interstellar postal service. People who have particularly important bits of information can hire ships to do the work for them and bypass the system entirely, which is more reliable and secure (unless said ship blows up).

When asked how that would work in a game with out-of-game communications Chris just shrugged and said they would deal with it.

Chalks posted:

The local gravity grids tech is pretty neat. Possibly the only innovative thing that's actually been semi implemented at this point.

It would be cool if the game gave the player more control over how they respond to gravity. Since gravity generation is so commonplace that you can have it on random metal plates sticking out in the middle of nowhere, it would make sense to give the players the ability to manipulate themselves when they're near a gravity field. The current model is that a player starts as a zero-gee ragdoll, then ragdolls once they enter a gravity field, and then only once the ragdoll is done can they act again. It would make more sense if the player had a notification that they entered a local gravity field, had the chance to orient themselves so that they line up with the field, and then could turn off their gravity control and "drop" down like they had finished a jump. This would also give players the opportunity to toggle gravity on/off if they wanted which would open up some interesting gameplay options.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 11, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sunswipe posted:

Just had a thought: is there anything in Star Citizen that's done right? Something, anything, that makes sense and works?

They proved how easy it is to fleece money from nostalgic nerds. It's a titanic shift in game development, as it used to be a secret known only by the film industry.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The concept of the info-runner itself is actually one of the few novel things that CR has implemented. Basically the idea is that FTL travel is only possible through jump points, which means that FTL communication is only possible through jump points. So in order for a piece of data to get from System A to System B it has to physically cross each jump point via comm buoy and then travel across each system. Comm buoys only discharge at a set rate so you have the time delay associated with crossing the system as well as the time delay associated with the buoy jumping across. Think of it as an in interstellar postal service. People who have particularly important bits of information can hire ships to do the work for them and bypass the system entirely, which is more reliable and secure (unless said ship blows up).

When asked how that would work in a game with out-of-game communications Chris just shrugged and said they would deal with it.

Why wouldn't they have a pair of automated relay drones that shuttle back & forth from comm array to comm array via jump points?

Also: The game will, in the grand tradition of Wing Commander, require a boot floppy to get your system ready to handle its awesomeness. This will also disable all other programs except Star Citizen from running, locking out out-of-game communications.

Hope you've kept your CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT knowledge up to date.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I assume the pilot will have magic pistol holsters for all 4 pistols?
It's like rear end Creed Blag: each commando will have 4 pistols dangling all over them and will manually reload the gunpowder in space for each shot.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

TTerrible posted:

That space suit is absolutely awful. They've just greebled it randomly to get it to look detailed.

Greebled is my new favorite word. Thank you, commando.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beet Wagon posted:

"Did you guys finish up the models of the Herald interior yet?"

"Yessir, just sent them over to Chris to get approval this morning!"

"Good. You didn't do anything weird like make sure the player model could fit in any of the spaces or anything right?"

"Absolutely not! In fact we completely disregarded any kind of functionality in the actual game and just drew up a cool looking IT closet!"

"I'm glad of it."

:lol::lol:

How does somebody actually get into that seat?

I love the CAT5 jacks and fans on the hard drive array there. It's good to know that Hardigg still makes the same rack mount cases in the future that they make now.

Also the little crappy military built-in keyboard with trackball that you would see in current military vessels. And what's with the awful red monitors?

I mean, I know Roberts is stealing from pretty much every sci-fi thing out there but at least be consistent about it. All of those switches and knobs work in a Star Wars movie based on junk and 70s technology but don't fit in at all with some of the 'sleek futuristic holographic HUD' kind of stuff they do elsewhere.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Every single one looks shifty as gently caress.

The guy in green jacket over green shirt looks like his head's been shrunk.

So on the list of stuff that works, we've got:
1) EVA is kinda fun
2) The website works if it's relevant to taking money off you.

Over 100 million dollars. Four-five years. I know gently caress all about programming or making videogames, and I think I could have put something better than this together by now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

"My aft shields are failing! I don't understand it, all power couplings are fine, I'm showing no other problems!"

"Check your hard drives - are any of the lights blinking?"

"Yeah, I've got an orange light on one of the drives."

"OK pull that one out, use grabby hands to replace the drive with a spare, and wait a day or so for the RAID array to rebuild. Then your rear shields should start working again."

"OK that's great, thanks!"

The Future, by Chris Roberts.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A HARD DRIVE INTO THE RAID ARRAY. IT’S REBUILDING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START POSTING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DEREK. I RETWEET EVERY GOON PICTURE AND I MISS EVERY JOKE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I BLOCK SOME SHITIZENS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED CHRIS ROBERTS MOST DANGEROUS GAME. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN REDDIT AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN REDDIT CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY SPACESHIP LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I actually like that idea ... so I'm gonna run with it. What kind of information, precisely, do people think they're going to have that will be so time-sensitive that it needs to get somewhere quickly? In a game like this, is relaying communication even a thing at all? I realize the backers will imagine anything and everything in their fever-dreams, but I'm talking specifically from the perspective of grounded game mechanics.

The only thing I see working is treating information like a physical object, like how exploration data is handled in Elite. You're just basically on a fetch and deliver quest, but instead of cargo, it's information. Which means, like in Elite, there is no actual mechanical difference in what you're transporting - it's all in your mind. (Cargo in Elite can be retrieved if you're killed, information not so, so there is that difference.)

Now that could work - it would be boring, and done to death in every other game ever made, but definitely doable. So obviously Chris would want it to be more tactile and therefore meaningful so what exactly would count as valuable information? How long does the average MMO keep a "secret" known only to a few? It's measured in nanoseconds last I checked.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm the flat low res keyboard texture applied to a flat plane in front of the player, surrounded by ten thousand poly buttons the player can't see when seated.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

runsamok posted:

Why wouldn't they have a pair of automated relay drones that shuttle back & forth from comm array to comm array via jump points?

They do. The automated relay drones do so at a set interval since jumping takes fuel. The interval is slow enough that a courier can still beat them (I think it's like every 30 minutes or something). I believe high priority communications override that system so that the relay drone automatically goes as soon as it receives a message.

The drones can supposedly be destroyed as well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chalks posted:

The stylistic choice to make everything look like a server rack is presumably the design methodology of "copy the first thing with a flashy light when you take a look around you"

Ryan Archer would be proud.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Scruffpuff posted:

"My aft shields are failing! I don't understand it, all power couplings are fine, I'm showing no other problems!"

"Check your hard drives - are any of the lights blinking?"

"Yeah, I've got an orange light on one of the drives."

"OK pull that one out, use grabby hands to replace the drive with a spare, and wait a day or so for the RAID array to rebuild. Then your rear shields should start working again."

"OK that's great, thanks!"

The Future, by Chris Roberts.

Did RAID exist the last time Crobbles was in touch with reality? Maybe he read something about it in a "future tech" magazine 20 years ago and still thinks it's "futuristic".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Well someone hasn't played Serious Sam Second Encounter.

You might think this looks weird, but it works great in that game. Someone made the map and it's hilarious, but I can't find any video of it so have a description instead:
Multiple Gravity – Experience several gravities in one room or fight with enemies which are ambushing you from the ceiling, while you jump up to confront them!

Remember, this is a 2001/2002 title. While croberts was dicking around trying to not fail making freelancer, these guys built this. And it works just fine on multiplayer too.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's novel in terms of videogames, but that concept has been around in sci-fi for basically forever. The Interstellar Pony Express thing isn't exactly new.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Remember to take a break from saying the videogame is really bad to call or visit your parents every so often. Nobody lives forever so its important to cherish the relationships you have with people while they last

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

I actually like that idea ... so I'm gonna run with it. What kind of information, precisely, do people think they're going to have that will be so time-sensitive that it needs to get somewhere quickly? In a game like this, is relaying communication even a thing at all? I realize the backers will imagine anything and everything in their fever-dreams, but I'm talking specifically from the perspective of grounded game mechanics.

The only thing I see working is treating information like a physical object, like how exploration data is handled in Elite. You're just basically on a fetch and deliver quest, but instead of cargo, it's information. Which means, like in Elite, there is no actual mechanical difference in what you're transporting - it's all in your mind. (Cargo in Elite can be retrieved if you're killed, information not so, so there is that difference.)

Now that could work - it would be boring, and done to death in every other game ever made, but definitely doable. So obviously Chris would want it to be more tactile and therefore meaningful so what exactly would count as valuable information? How long does the average MMO keep a "secret" known only to a few? It's measured in nanoseconds last I checked.

The location of an unnamed star system is a good example. If you find a jump point, map it, and discover that it leads to an undiscovered system then you get naming rights once you report the coordinates and jump point path back to the UEE. If someone else steals that information from you then they can either keep it for themselves (and nobody would know about it) or they could disclose it to the UEE themselves and get naming rights. Reputation impacts is also a good example. If I kill B'Tak and his distress signal gets out, if I can blow the relay drone containing that information then my reputation is in the clear. This is also what was supposed to make the lawless regions so dangerous; without a way for evidence to get back to UEE space there would be no consequences. Trade information would also be a good example. If there's a super high price on a good then a merchant may want to relay that information to their friends and pay a courier to deliver it. Of course players will just relay that info over Discord because we're cool like that. It's mostly a NPC thing.

Information in this case can be treated as a physical object, complete with canisters that contain the info inside little self-powered blocks that can transfer from ship to ship.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

Remember to take a break from saying the videogame is really bad to call or visit your parents every so often. Nobody lives forever so its important to cherish the relationships you have with people while they last

I called your parents instead. They said they're very ashamed of you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

It's novel in terms of videogames, but that concept has been around in sci-fi for basically forever. The Interstellar Pony Express thing isn't exactly new.

There's very little in video games that hasn't been endlessly explored by other media. Still it's a novel thing we haven't seen yet in a game, and given how much poo poo I give Chris for all the countless tropes and uninteresting things he's done I'll give him kudos for this.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

AP posted:

I dunno, it's difficult to tell if CIG have released an image before or not, nothing was said about the face.

thats me in the cock port

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Open cocking bay doors, HAL."

"I'm afraid I won't do that, Ben. Some things are too disgusting for even an AI."

Because Ben Lesnick is fat.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

"Did you guys finish up the models of the Herald interior yet?"

"Yessir, just sent them over to Chris to get approval this morning!"

"Good. You didn't do anything weird like make sure the player model could fit in any of the spaces or anything right?"

"Absolutely not! In fact we completely disregarded any kind of functionality in the actual game and just drew up a cool looking IT closet!"

"I'm glad of it."

You think that's bad, you should see the avionics bay on an actual aircraft:

Poor guy. No chair for him. Boeing's ABs tend to be a bit more roomy, though still tight. Here's an AWACS C&C for example:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's very little in video games that hasn't been endlessly explored by other media. Still it's a novel thing we haven't seen yet in a game, and given how much poo poo I give Chris for all the countless tropes and uninteresting things he's done I'll give him kudos for this.

Yeah that's true. I don't disagree that most of the best scifi (and fantasy) games are just lifted straight from movies and books. I just don't know how much credit I can give Crobblers for reading The Forever War and saying "Just do that in the game", especially with the hamfisted explanations he's given about his own -already wildly inconsistent - universe.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine the grief you'd feel if your RAID array broke down and you had to send a relay message via wormhole to Space-Dell support in Delhi. Then it turns out you forgot to pay for LTI on the support package so they refuse to help anyway.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

runsamok posted:

Also: The game will, in the grand tradition of Wing Commander, require a boot floppy to get your system ready to handle its awesomeness. This will also disable all other programs except Star Citizen from running, locking out out-of-game communications.

Time to test out memory spaces for customizing my HIMEM.SYS

Load those mouse drivers into /UPPER

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Poor guy. No chair for him. Boeing's ABs tend to be a bit more roomy, though still tight. Here's an AWACS C&C for example:

JSTARS is even more comfortable!

The difference is that the Airbus avionics bay is literally meant to be an IT closet and the JSTARS and AWACS spaces pictured are meant to be actively worked-in.

And the difference between all of those and a future spaceship is that a future spaceship isn't required to fit in a particular form factor, so you could theoretically design the ship around the workspace.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Regarding the info running, someone should show Crob that Mirror's Edge game from ages ago.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

runsamok posted:

Loiosh posted:

Time to test out memory spaces for customizing my HIMEM.SYS

Load those mouse drivers into /UPPER

Posts like these trigger my MSDOS era PTSD, where half the game was getting the loving game to run in the first place.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Regarding the info running, someone should show Crob that Mirror's Edge game from ages ago.

Only if you want to be responsible for another dev getting PTSD because Crobber now wants parkour.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Xaerael posted:

Posts like these trigger my MSDOS era PTSD, where half the game was getting the loving game to run in the first place.

14 year old me was very proud of my 5 1/4 boot disk for Wing Commander that freed up enough ram to get the pilot's hand to display in the cockpit.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Loiosh posted:

Was around the same for the nav comm room on the Destroyer i was posted on in the Navy before I grew balls and transferred to Army. Everything is crowded on a ship so it kinda makes sense ships in space would be the same. Ahhh how I miss sleeping in a bunk bed with a seatbelt.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Only if you want to be responsible for another dev getting PTSD because Crobber now wants parkour.

We're already "getting" parkour I think...

e: added quotes

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

runsamok posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 24:50

Q: In the new Jump Point there is mention of an update that will bring the ability to lower your wanted level by hacking a console. There will also be a need to defend it while that hack completes. What portions of FPS will need to be finalised and implemented for that update?

A: Well nothing really it's ah, that's all in 2.2... so I mean what we're doing I think I've mentioned this quite a few times is on the FPS side, we... have a whole bunch of ah... FEATURES and WEAPONS ah that, we're just sort of methodically going through and ENABLING and, you know, a lot of it is CONTENT related so getting the animations polished before we feel like they're ready for everyone to SEE or USE or... the same on the assets... and some of it is sort of making some of the MECHANICS sort of WORK as... uh... uh... MOVE a little better but, eh, you know, so we've got things like VAULTING, you know, like GOING VAULTING over objec... obstacles and stuff... and that, ah, isn't going to be in 2.2 but it'll be in... 2.3 for instance, ah, and so what we've been doing is just sort of knocking off sort of (mumble) COVER MECHANICS... ah... things like... PRONE or CROUCHING... eh, and, ah, you know, various things in 2.2 we have PHYSICALISED EVA which... ah, is actually REALLY COOL, you get a real sense of INERTIA, you have to be a bit more... WARY like in TIGHT AREAS because, you know, we're actually properly physically simulating so it's like you know, flying around a spaceship in a tight area, you don't really want to like, just bang up against things cos, it will sort of, you know, give you a bit of an IMPULSE, but... ah... when you get it down it's, I think... it's COOLER and more EXHILARATING and... we'll be adding more and more THINGS that will make that... COOLER, ahm, so... that's... just our plan, is we're just continually adding... more and more functionality to FPS... I mean our GOAL is the FPS, is going to be... very comparative to other FPSs out there that are... ahm... you know, have a whole bunch of ah, you know... COOL DETAIL and ACCURACY so, ah, you know we're not really aiming to be a simplified run and gun shooter, we're actually aiming to be much more sort of TACTICAL and CONSIDERED and... and... have that sort of reflect on a lot of the FPS mechanics so... there'll be... you know a lot of OPTIONS and kind of THINGS YOU CAN DO and STANCES and ACTIONS and... you know... ultimul... ultimately it'll... you know it'll have the equivalent of being able to do PARKOUR with SLIDING and VAULTING OVER STUFF and LEDGE GRABBING and all the rest of the stuff.

So that's all on the ROADMAP and we've... ah... you know... captured animations for all of it and we're slowly churning through the thousands of animations and hooking it up, making sure the animation blending works and all the various sort of like... THINGS you have to worry about... ah... to make it... ahm... WORK WELL. But I'm... I'm... I'm pretty confident that... when it's all said and done it'll be actually all pretty drat cool.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

runsamok posted:

Of course, how stupid of me. I should have assumed that is already promised. Coming along right after the drink mixing minigame, blood oxygen simulation and space news van is it?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ah yes , parkour in the FPS sections that'll need fluid movement and tight responsive player controls. A cry engine speciality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

And the difference between all of those and a future spaceship is that a future spaceship isn't required to fit in a particular form factor, so you could theoretically design the ship around the workspace.

How long until CIG sells an office ship that's a bunch of restoration hardware furniture in a big flying building?

• Locked thread