Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Ah yes , parkour in the FPS sections that'll need fluid movement and tight responsive player controls. A cry engine speciality.

I dunno man all that footage of pgabz sliding around on his face looked pretty fluid to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Wah wah pingu noise*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

It's novel in terms of videogames, but that concept has been around in sci-fi for basically forever. The Interstellar Pony Express thing isn't exactly new.

Data-running is something you can do in Elite Dangerous so of course it will be in Star Citizen but better of course, higher fidelity data-running.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Ah yes , parkour in the FPS sections that'll need fluid movement and tight responsive player controls. A cry engine speciality.

And the FPS will supposedly have different stances and controlled breathing. Like Arma, the series famous for its slick and responsive movement and controls.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Well someone hasn't played Serious Sam Second Encounter.

You might think this looks weird, but it works great in that game. Someone made the map and it's hilarious, but I can't find any video of it so have a description instead:
Multiple Gravity – Experience several gravities in one room or fight with enemies which are ambushing you from the ceiling, while you jump up to confront them!

Remember, this is a 2001/2002 title. While croberts was dicking around trying to not fail making freelancer, these guys built this. And it works just fine on multiplayer too.

That map was loving amazing to play on. It made me very sad when the HD remake engine couldn't do that kind of weird gravity shenanigans.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Wah wah pingu noise*

Add googly eyes to the garter belt buckles.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xaerael posted:

Posts like these trigger my MSDOS era PTSD, where half the game was getting the loving game to run in the first place.

I feel you. And getting the interrupts to all work right so you could get sound / joystick etc.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Duckaerobics posted:

How long until CIG sells an office ship that's a bunch of restoration hardware furniture in a big flying building?

Somebody email Crobblet a link to The Crimson Permanent Assurance, and then it'll be a matter of days, I'd imagine.

https://vimeo.com/111458975

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SomethingJones posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 24:50

Q: In the new Jump Point there is mention of an update that will bring the ability to lower your wanted level by hacking a console. There will also be a need to defend it while that hack completes. What portions of FPS will need to be finalised and implemented for that update?

A: (mumble)

is this a legit quote? 110+ million and they can't hire a teleprompter?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

Maybe they have now but until very recently Sandi the supposed actress had to glance down at her script every few seconds or she was lost.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

There are CIG employees who make less sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G42Sff84WmE

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The location of an unnamed star system is a good example. If you find a jump point, map it, and discover that it leads to an undiscovered system then you get naming rights once you report the coordinates and jump point path back to the UEE. If someone else steals that information from you then they can either keep it for themselves (and nobody would know about it) or they could disclose it to the UEE themselves and get naming rights. Reputation impacts is also a good example. If I kill B'Tak and his distress signal gets out, if I can blow the relay drone containing that information then my reputation is in the clear. This is also what was supposed to make the lawless regions so dangerous; without a way for evidence to get back to UEE space there would be no consequences. Trade information would also be a good example. If there's a super high price on a good then a merchant may want to relay that information to their friends and pay a courier to deliver it. Of course players will just relay that info over Discord because we're cool like that. It's mostly a NPC thing.

Information in this case can be treated as a physical object, complete with canisters that contain the info inside little self-powered blocks that can transfer from ship to ship.

All of that sounds awesome and fun to me, and I'd really enjoy a game with those elements - the kinds of things that would just intuitively work the way you might expect them to, and add depth. So I'm gonna single out some elements and ask how they pertain to Star Citizen.

- If you find a jump point, map it, and discover that it leads to an undiscovered system
I've read this speculation in a few places, and it sounds cool. Star Citizen today, after having undergone (**quantum-state mathematics**) years of development, has a grand total of 1 unfinished empty system. At best so far they've promised 100. Where in that kind of postage-stamp universe is there room for undiscovered systems? The closest thing I've ever seen to an undiscovered area in an MMO is the albino murloc which people just found out about a few months ago, in an area of the game built during the WOTLK expansion. However, I don't think he was always there - people obsessively troll the game files to find stuff as it's added. How can the concept of discovery exist in such a small universe, with such small instance limits? And with metagamers obsessively scanning files and doing other unusual in-game activities constantly looking to find and document these things? People imagine that while exploring space they're going to "stumble" on something that the metagaming zerg hive-mind will have missed - the chances of that happening are nearly 0%.

- If I kill B'Tak and his distress signal gets out, if I can blow the relay drone containing that information then my reputation is in the clear
Only true if B'Tak is an NPC. Otherwise I assure your name, the time of the event, and what color underwear you had on will be on the RSI forums, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, and his grief support group within seconds of the event. So it might not harm your "in-game" reputation, but the players will know who you are, and good luck getting jobs serving drinks on someone's Starfarer once word gets out that you're a dirty "griefer".

So serious question time: are there any of the newer space games that are flooding in now that will actually have elements like this? It's a foregone conclusion that Star Citizen won't, but now I'm in the mood to play something that will.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 24:50

Q: In the new Jump Point there is mention of an update that will bring the ability to lower your wanted level by hacking a console. There will also be a need to defend it while that hack completes. What portions of FPS will need to be finalised and implemented for that update?

A: Well nothing really it's ah, that's all in 2.2... so I mean what we're doing I think I've mentioned this quite a few times is on the FPS side, we... have a whole bunch of ah... FEATURES and WEAPONS ah that, we're just sort of methodically going through and ENABLING and, you know, a lot of it is CONTENT related so getting the animations polished before we feel like they're ready for everyone to SEE or USE or... the same on the assets... and some of it is sort of making some of the MECHANICS sort of WORK as... uh... uh... MOVE a little better but, eh, you know, so we've got things like VAULTING, you know, like GOING VAULTING over objec... obstacles and stuff... and that, ah, isn't going to be in 2.2 but it'll be in... 2.3 for instance, ah, and so what we've been doing is just sort of knocking off sort of (mumble) COVER MECHANICS... ah... things like... PRONE or CROUCHING... eh, and, ah, you know, various things in 2.2 we have PHYSICALISED EVA which... ah, is actually REALLY COOL, you get a real sense of INERTIA, you have to be a bit more... WARY like in TIGHT AREAS because, you know, we're actually properly physically simulating so it's like you know, flying around a spaceship in a tight area, you don't really want to like, just bang up against things cos, it will sort of, you know, give you a bit of an IMPULSE, but... ah... when you get it down it's, I think... it's COOLER and more EXHILARATING and... we'll be adding more and more THINGS that will make that... COOLER, ahm, so... that's... just our plan, is we're just continually adding... more and more functionality to FPS... I mean our GOAL is the FPS, is going to be... very comparative to other FPSs out there that are... ahm... you know, have a whole bunch of ah, you know... COOL DETAIL and ACCURACY so, ah, you know we're not really aiming to be a simplified run and gun shooter, we're actually aiming to be much more sort of TACTICAL and CONSIDERED and... and... have that sort of reflect on a lot of the FPS mechanics so... there'll be... you know a lot of OPTIONS and kind of THINGS YOU CAN DO and STANCES and ACTIONS and... you know... ultimul... ultimately it'll... you know it'll have the equivalent of being able to do PARKOUR with SLIDING and VAULTING OVER STUFF and LEDGE GRABBING and all the rest of the stuff.

So that's all on the ROADMAP and we've... ah... you know... captured animations for all of it and we're slowly churning through the thousands of animations and hooking it up, making sure the animation blending works and all the various sort of like... THINGS you have to worry about... ah... to make it... ahm... WORK WELL. But I'm... I'm... I'm pretty confident that... when it's all said and done it'll be actually all pretty drat cool.

The only things i got from these were CROUCHING TIGHT AREAS IMPULSE SLIDING

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

JSTARS is even more comfortable!

The difference is that the Airbus avionics bay is literally meant to be an IT closet and the JSTARS and AWACS spaces pictured are meant to be actively worked-in.

The main difference between either of these and Crobbertsverse is that their chairs can actually slide far enough on the rails for a person to sit in them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

orcinus posted:

CROUCHING TIGHT AREAS IMPULSE SLIDING

That's how you get into the seat on the Herald.

Lack of parkour is a major blocker for the release of that ship.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

alphabettitouretti posted:

Lack of parkour Chris Roberts is a major blocker for the release of that ship.

FTFY

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SelenicMartian posted:

Add googly eyes to the garter belt buckles.

not googly eyes but better

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

SurfaceDetail posted:

If in 2021 Star Citizen releases and is actually good. Like a .1% chance of this occurring. You should buy it for 60 bucks like a normal person. That's my plan anyway.

G0RF posted:

Start at page 1 of this thread. Once you get back here, if you're still eager to back the game, you have our blessing...

Rhubarb94 posted:

Buy it after release (big if here) and if it's any good (even bigger if here).

If you want to buy a spaceship with real actual money I'd wait until the games out and money/ship/account farmers have undercut the grey market and tanked the prices.

boviscopophobic posted:

I think you should spring for a Completionist package, then let us know when you did so we can verify the activity in their public funding tracker. Just make sure to get a refund within 14 days.

Do not actually do this

AP posted:

It's unlikely to ever make release, you'll be wasting your money.

This are overwhelmingly one sided, there should be giant red capitalized letters stating "do not pledge SC kickstarter"

Wait, isn't this a ponzi scheme?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beet Wagon posted:

JSTARS is even more comfortable!

The difference is that the Airbus avionics bay is literally meant to be an IT closet and the JSTARS and AWACS spaces pictured are meant to be actively worked-in.

And the difference between all of those and a future spaceship is that a future spaceship isn't required to fit in a particular form factor, so you could theoretically design the ship around the workspace.

On the flip side, here's how loving cramped the E-2 is

But in their defense it's a much smaller plane that still has to land on a boat

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Scruffpuff posted:

The RAID arrays, CAT-5 cable jacks, and cooling fans are loving killing me. It looks like they took a picture of a server rack and scrubbed the Dell logos off. They should have gone whole hog and put in a "RA" logo while they were at it.
Good to see Cisco is alive and well in 299x AD

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Haskell9 posted:

Good to see Cisco is alive and well in 299x AD

Or it's simply a Huawei from 299x +1 AD

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Croberts can be a bit long-winded and rambling in his answers so I took one of the recent 10 for the chairman episodes and edited it down to more clearly communicate the meat of his answers. Fly angry, commandos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmboss0kD2A

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's some Stimpire approved working space!

The other thing to remember as it relates to that picture of the Herald interior I posted is that all of these airborne C&C suites we've seen are manned by 3 or more people, which sort of requires them to be small and tight, since you have to fit a bunch of people into a weird shaped working space.

The Herald is supposed to have a crew of 1-2. Like 1 Pilot and 1 Computerman. So all of that back space there only has to fit one loving guy in it, and probably doesn't need to look like current day airborne data centers (which is what CIG clearly took as their inspiration).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Chalks posted:

The local gravity grids tech is pretty neat. Possibly the only innovative thing that's actually been semi implemented at this point.

No, no, I've got that working too, a while back. It's how I got wall-crawling working.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booblord Zagats posted:

How can those crewman possibly work without their vented crotch plates?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Croberts can be a bit long-winded and rambling in his answers so I took one of the recent 10 for the chairman episodes and edited it down to more clearly communicate the meat of his answers. Fly angry, commandos.

:five::five::five:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

All of that sounds awesome and fun to me, and I'd really enjoy a game with those elements - the kinds of things that would just intuitively work the way you might expect them to, and add depth. So I'm gonna single out some elements and ask how they pertain to Star Citizen.

- If you find a jump point, map it, and discover that it leads to an undiscovered system
I've read this speculation in a few places, and it sounds cool. Star Citizen today, after having undergone (**quantum-state mathematics**) years of development, has a grand total of 1 unfinished empty system. At best so far they've promised 100. Where in that kind of postage-stamp universe is there room for undiscovered systems? The closest thing I've ever seen to an undiscovered area in an MMO is the albino murloc which people just found out about a few months ago, in an area of the game built during the WOTLK expansion. However, I don't think he was always there - people obsessively troll the game files to find stuff as it's added. How can the concept of discovery exist in such a small universe, with such small instance limits? And with metagamers obsessively scanning files and doing other unusual in-game activities constantly looking to find and document these things? People imagine that while exploring space they're going to "stumble" on something that the metagaming zerg hive-mind will have missed - the chances of that happening are nearly 0%.

- If I kill B'Tak and his distress signal gets out, if I can blow the relay drone containing that information then my reputation is in the clear
Only true if B'Tak is an NPC. Otherwise I assure your name, the time of the event, and what color underwear you had on will be on the RSI forums, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, and his grief support group within seconds of the event. So it might not harm your "in-game" reputation, but the players will know who you are, and good luck getting jobs serving drinks on someone's Starfarer once word gets out that you're a dirty "griefer".

So serious question time: are there any of the newer space games that are flooding in now that will actually have elements like this? It's a foregone conclusion that Star Citizen won't, but now I'm in the mood to play something that will.

For the planetary side of things, the leaked game build that Lando gave us included 18 undiscovered systems (including one that looks to be a direct line from a lawless system by Vanduul space to Terra). Supposedly none of the exploration stuff will be stored server-side, although how that actually happens is far beyond me or my ability to care. My understanding is that CIG's plan is that jump points will be very hard to find, jump points will be incredibly hard (Battletoads hard) to navigate, and the other end may not be a new system but instead a temporary route to another known system. So the approach as I understand is that people won't be able to troll the game files until something is discovered, and actually finding a system will be stupid rare.

The kind of people who are blowing B'Tak out of the sky won't be giving a poo poo if B'Tak's friends won't let them serve drinks. Frankly I'd appreciate having that reputation, especially if in-game my reputation is pristine, because then I can use the game's defensive systems to grief them if they're ever dumb enough to attack me. Also I love the idea of a grief support group. We should start one.

No Man's Sky will obviously have exploration (and survival), and you get to name stuff. As for the communication, griefing, etc, I have no idea.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
CIG: Hey we are going to make this amazing "Apple", how would you like to buy one.
Costumer: Cool I would love to have an "Apple", people have stopped making "Apples"
CIG: Thanks for giving us money to make an "Apple", we have gotten so much money that we are no longer going to make an "Apple" we are now making an "Orange"
Costumer: But I wanted an "Apple"
CIG: You guys gave us more then we needed to make the "Apple" so clearly you really wanted an "Orange"
Costumer: I still would like the "Apple"
CIG: This amazing "Orange" only possible thanks to all the money we were given.
Costumer: Ok so can I have my money back, as you are no longer making the "Apple"
CIG: sorry no refunds. We spent your money making the AMAZING "Orange" See how amazing orange like color it has.
Costumer: ...
CIG: Knew news on the "Orange", we have determined that its not yet as orange in color as we would like so we are going to rework that.
New Costumer: What about the inside how is that coming along? What about the taste?
CIG: Those are important questions. So ah.. You know... kind of like...ah..well you know...Haloe's... ah...Tropicana...Florida
CIG: You can't see it but we are totally re-working the back-end. It will be amazing and will speed up growing time. Don't you worry.
New Costumer: Did you already tell us that a year ago?
New Costumer: Look at that other company, their "Apple" has all kinds of shine, and amazing texture.
CIG: Our "Orange" has amazing shine (WIP), and amazing texture (WIP)
CIG: The "Orange" will be amazing, its really coming along, well we think its an "Orange". It might be a "Tangerine" or a "Grapefruit", but we can tell you its "Orange" like in color.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lladre posted:

4 pistols, 0 ammo.

The ammo is already inside the gun, it is a block of lead that has a piece shaved off about the size of a grain of sand, which is then accelerated to a very very high velocity. It is called the Physical Force.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

1500 posted:

CIG: Hey we are going to make this amazing "Apple", how would you like to buy one.
Costumer: Cool I would love to have an "Apple", people have stopped making "Apples"
CIG: Thanks for giving us money to make an "Apple", we have gotten so much money that we are no longer going to make an "Apple" we are now making an "Orange"
Costumer: But I wanted an "Apple"
CIG: You guys gave us more then we needed to make the "Apple" so clearly you really wanted an "Orange"
Costumer: I still would like the "Apple"
CIG: This amazing "Orange" only possible thanks to all the money we were given.
Costumer: Ok so can I have my money back, as you are no longer making the "Apple"
CIG: sorry no refunds. We spent your money making the AMAZING "Orange" See how amazing orange like color it has.
Costumer: ...
CIG: Knew news on the "Orange", we have determined that its not yet as orange in color as we would like so we are going to rework that.
New Costumer: What about the inside how is that coming along? What about the taste?
CIG: Those are important questions. So ah.. You know... kind of like...ah..well you know...Haloe's... ah...Tropicana...Florida
CIG: You can't see it but we are totally re-working the back-end. It will be amazing and will speed up growing time. Don't you worry.
New Costumer: Did you already tell us that a year ago?
New Costumer: Look at that other company, their "Apple" has all kinds of shine, and amazing texture.
CIG: Our "Orange" has amazing shine (WIP), and amazing texture (WIP)
CIG: The "Orange" will be amazing, its really coming along, well we think its an "Orange". It might be a "Tangerine" or a "Grapefruit", but we can tell you its "Orange" like in color.

I get it, but I don't know why you needed to specify identical hobbies/jobs for both customers

seems like a weird detail

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the leaked game build that Lando gave us included 18 undiscovered systems

Hold on, when was this?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

He does know how Aegis is pronounced lol

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

I get it, but I don't know why you needed to specify identical hobbies/jobs for both customers

seems like a weird detail

:golfclap:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Wuxi posted:

Eonwe matters and Eonwe is like :eonwe:

:doh: I can't believe I didn't include Eonwe.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

"Did you guys finish up the models of the Herald interior yet?"

"Yessir, just sent them over to Chris to get approval this morning!"

"Good. You didn't do anything weird like make sure the player model could fit in any of the spaces or anything right?"

"Absolutely not! In fact we completely disregarded any kind of functionality in the actual game and just drew up a cool looking IT closet!"

"I'm glad of it."

I'm the hundreds of drawers(?)

E: Oh those were RAID racks, in a spaceship possibly suffering from intense G-forces. I guess they have the magic future technology of solid state storage

I'm happy they stick with the BIG RED TEXT style monitors and the qwerty keyboard though, makes me feel all at home and cozy

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 11, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Why did you just re upload a 10FTC?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

In the future information technology has stagnated, which is what necessitates the existence of an "info-runner" ship to begin with :smug:

They have figured out cloud storage you see (by making the clouds go where they're needed)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I was going to say this was better than full burn until I heard the loving key change and 16 refrain repeats

I mean it's still better than full burn but not by a whole lot

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
yet game dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm the hundreds of drawers(?)

E: Oh those were RAID racks, in a spaceship possibly suffering from intense G-forces. I guess they have the magic future technology of solid state storage

I'm happy they stick with the BIG RED TEXT style monitors and the qwerty keyboard though, makes me feel all at home and cozy

In the Star Citizen universe, the Roman empire never fell and the Virtual Boy was a wild success.

• Locked thread