Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

moonsour posted:

My mom's car is a Chevy Aveo 2007. There was smoke when starting the car in the morning indicating an oil leak and the engine light flashed for a bit before turning off for the rest of the day.

For future reference, a flashing check engine light means pull the gently caress over and shut off the engine right now. It's not as bad as the oil light coming on (by the time that comes on you've already done damage), but when the engine light is flashing, it means it's misfiring badly, which will absolutely destroy the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors in a hurry. Plus there's unburned fuel in the cylinders, which will somewhat make its way past the rings and into the oil, diluting it.

Though to be fair, it's a 2007 Aveo. Those cars are easily one of the most terrible cars GM put out this millennium (sorry). If it hasn't had the timing belt done yet, it needs to be done immediately; it's supposed to be inspected at 30k, and replaced by 60k or 5 years (whichever comes first), though there's been plenty of them that have broken long before 60k. If it breaks, she's looking at a couple of grand to get it running again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

some texas redneck posted:

Though to be fair, it's a 2007 Aveo. Those cars are easily one of the most terrible cars GM put out this millennium (sorry). If it hasn't had the timing belt done yet, it needs to be done immediately; it's supposed to be inspected at 30k, and replaced by 60k or 5 years (whichever comes first), though there's been plenty of them that have broken long before 60k. If it breaks, she's looking at a couple of grand to get it running again.

Just open the driver's door and look at the manufacturing label - and you can see the Aveo is made in Korea by GM Daewoo.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Slavvy posted:

I meant what I said, unless dodges are really unusual and have no shield behind the front discs at all. They often get bent without you even noticing while you're dicking around with brakes and CV joints and the effect is usually exactly what you're describing, plus it's far more likely that the problem originated from the car being worked on and not just by coincidence.

To elaborate: the disc doesn't actually stay in exactly the same plane as you drive the car, there is a certain amount of play/flex inherent to the wheel bearing which means the disc moves in and out in relation to the rest of the car depending on how the wheel is loaded. What this means is that sometimes the shield can be bent in a way that leads to it touching the disc only sometimes, like when you're turning in a certain direction or w/e. The fact that it goes away when you brake is because the disc is being clamped by the brakes and 'straightening' in relation to the steering knuckle so it isn't quite touching the shield any more. My two cents.

There isn't much of a shield.

Plus, the CV joints and brakes/rotors were replaced because of this issue, it didn't happen after so I don't think it was anything we did replacing them. I am going to check to make sure that what backing is there isn't bent and check the wheel bearing too. Luckily the wheel bearing is all one piece - no pressing so maybe it won't be too bad if that's what it is.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

So, I have a 2002 Saab 95 that I am starting to REALLY hate. It runs fine but some much of the other stuff like the Windows, the ac/heat, the seats and such have electric controls so when something goes wrong it's an issue. What compounds it is that my brother in law is the one who sold it to me and when ever I give it to him m for repairs it takes like a week to get it back.

Today, my seat suddenly starts going all the way back, almost so I can't reach the pedals. I try to put it back in place but it goes right back. Is there a way to fix it eqsily at home or at the very least manually get it to stay in place?

This saabworld thread might be of interest to you: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28212

You might be experiencing the same problem as the op of that thread, and I'd start by taking the memory module out and seeing if the buttons are sticking. You can try to clean it with electronics cleaner and see if it offers better performance. Otherwise you can replace it with this part.

The good news is once you take the module out the seat won't be able to move at all so just set it where you like it (door open no key in ignition) and take the module out.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

bigperm posted:

There isn't much of a shield.

Plus, the CV joints and brakes/rotors were replaced because of this issue, it didn't happen after so I don't think it was anything we did replacing them. I am going to check to make sure that what backing is there isn't bent and check the wheel bearing too. Luckily the wheel bearing is all one piece - no pressing so maybe it won't be too bad if that's what it is.

That shield also has a big chunk out of it.

A wheel bearing noise may go away when you hit the brakes because the rotor is now stabilizing the wheel and bearing assembly by being sandwiched between the pads. But really at this point you gotta go do some testing, theoreticals only go so far when it comes to under car noises.

iirc its 3 12 point bolts holding the wheel bearing in, plus years of road grime and rust. It sometimes takes a lot of hammer swingin to bust them out.
Also remember to re install the dust shield the correct direction. It will fit both ways and you wont notice till you put the rotor on. Ive done it before and so have many others.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Not that anyone cares probably, but I finally got a hold of that guy selling the supra. Gonna meet with him this weekend and if the frame and everything is okay I'll be purchasing my first (project) car.

Well I've only really bought trucks before so having something with power that doesn't weigh over 2 tonnes will be nice.

Just got back from meeting with the guy and looking at the car and starting the engine etc.

It was a loving gem. No rust on the frame, sprayed twice a year and left inside in the winter, engine still has some head gasket issues (he says he can still smell coolant in the oil), some hanger bearing issues but nothing really wrong with it.

Paid $2500, getting it towed to a garage I'm friendly with to see what the damage will be for him to safety it (whether or not I'll get him to do it is another question) and I'll probably have it in my garage by next weekend (I'm really busy during the week)

Here's a shot under the hood:

and it's an '87 supra, not '88

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 10, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Just got back from meeting with the guy and looking at the car and starting the engine etc.

It was a loving gem. No rust on the frame, sprayed twice a year and left inside in the winter, engine still has some head gasket issues (he says he can still smell coolant in the oil), some hanger bearing issues but nothing really wrong with it.

Paid $2500, getting it towed to a garage I'm friendly with to see what the damage will be for him to safety it (whether or not I'll get him to do it is another question) and I'll probably have it in my garage by next weekend (I'm really busy during the week)

Well done I'm very jealous.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

0toShifty posted:

Just open the driver's door and look at the manufacturing label - and you can see the Aveo is made in Korea by GM Daewoo.

What do you expect when the cars lineage is chevette, geo metro, and now the aveo. Daewoo failed itself and yet GM still keeps trying to rebadge them into the us. It amazes me that chevy trax and buick encore sell well being just a car with a tall roof to make it look like some clown car minivan suv thing.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Christobevii3 posted:

What do you expect when the cars lineage is chevette, geo metro, and now the aveo. Daewoo failed itself and yet GM still keeps trying to rebadge them into the us. It amazes me that chevy trax and buick encore sell well being just a car with a tall roof to make it look like some clown car minivan suv thing.

GM bought out Daewoo North America. One of my first jobs was a tech at a Daewoo dealer. The cars were very popular with low income people, and really not that terrible except for guaranteed timing belt failures at 55k which would destroy the cylinder head, something that didnt mesh well with low income owners who tended to defer expensive maintenance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

:fap:

Nice work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

From the look of it that Supra has the TEMS adjustable suspension too?! Yeah dude, score. Get the HG done ASAP and drive the tits off it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raw_Beef posted:

GM bought out Daewoo North America. One of my first jobs was a tech at a Daewoo dealer. The cars were very popular with low income people, and really not that terrible except for guaranteed timing belt failures at 55k which would destroy the cylinder head, something that didnt mesh well with low income owners who tended to defer expensive maintenance.

So that's why I don't see them too much anymore. there a small Euro shop that once upon a time had twelve Daewoo in the lot just taking up space.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SouthsideSaint posted:

So that's why I don't see them too much anymore. there a small Euro shop that once upon a time had twelve Daewoo in the lot just taking up space.

yeah the cheap lovely daewoo's like the matiz and the nubira and whatever all got rebadged as chevrolet years ago.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I think the Yugo engine had the same issue - it's a 2 valve engine - but they recommended to check the timing belt every 15k and replace every 30k because it's somehow an interference engine.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
Replaced the plugs and wires on my 93 Volvo 850. Checked that the plugs were getting wet and smelled fuel. Checked the plugs to make sure they were sparking and they were. Still getting a crank no-start. It seems to almost catch and then go back to just cranking. Where do I look next?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

0toShifty posted:

I think the Yugo engine had the same issue - it's a 2 valve engine - but they recommended to check the timing belt every 15k and replace every 30k because it's somehow an interference engine.
Number of valves has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an engine's an interference design, though?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Number of valves has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an engine's an interference design, though?

Yeah but the fact it was an ultra-economy motor from an ex-soviet country out of a car that would cost like $7 grand today does. You wouldn't expect a low-compression low-power motor to have any need for the pistons to rise that high/valves open that far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The engine of the Yugo you know and loathe, with the cambelt, is a later addition (it's basically the Fiat 128 & X1/9 lump). The original Yugo engine was pushrod, I believe coming from the Fiat 127 design that the car itself originates with.

Whether an engine is interference or not depends on a lot more than just the compression ratio and valve lift. I agree that if you were designing from scratch a basic, agricultural engine for people who need fix-it-with-a-hammer tech, you'd do your best to make it non-interference, but the fact something's a low-performance or relatively simple engine doesn't indicate a great deal about whether or not it'll be an interference design.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Do not besmirch my glorious Yugo.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I put down a $1000 reservation for the Tesla Model 3 just now... is it possible to figure out how far back in the line you are?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, there are 300k reservations, so... 300,001?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Geirskogul posted:

Well, there are 300k reservations, so... 300,001?

Where'd you get that number? Elon Musk's twitter is the first place i went to, 325k is the number i see and that's from a few days ago.

Just wondering what my realistic chance of getting that 7500 tax credit is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Where'd you get that number? Elon Musk's twitter is the first place i went to, 325k is the number i see and that's from a few days ago.

Just wondering what my realistic chance of getting that 7500 tax credit is.

Considering how many cars Tesla has made to date and how many preorders there are, coupled with the frequent delays, probably next to none.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Bovril Delight posted:

Considering how many cars Tesla has made to date and how many preorders there are, coupled with the frequent delays, probably next to none.

Ah well, maybe i'll get a partial credit :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Google is your friend sometimes.

http://gas2.org/2016/04/10/tesla-will-adjust-model-3-production-to-maximize-tax-credits/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The new Chevy Volt is going to beat it to market for sure.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

MonkeyBot posted:

Replaced the plugs and wires on my 93 Volvo 850. Checked that the plugs were getting wet and smelled fuel. Checked the plugs to make sure they were sparking and they were. Still getting a crank no-start. It seems to almost catch and then go back to just cranking. Where do I look next?

What plugs did you use? What color is the spark?

If the coil is original it's probably suspect.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

zundfolge posted:

What plugs did you use? What color is the spark?

If the coil is original it's probably suspect.

Autolite copper core. I read through a few sites and they should work. The spark I think was yellow. I was checking in daylight so it was a little tough to tell but really a sort of yellowish white I think.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Crossposting:

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Something I noticed after the adjuster was set is that the pistons don't extend out far enough to contact the shoes when at rest (it's like this for both wheels)

Maybe the brake pedal squishy feeling is due to that distance the pistons have to travel before they start moving the shoes. :shrug:
Anyone here a drum brake wizard?

Is that normal for drum brakes?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Crossposting:

Have you compared old and new wheel cylinders?

The shoe should be close to the drum surface near the bottom, and a well adjusted brake will drag on a free spin.

Keep in mind, with the beefy springs, the the tops of the shoes rest on the pin near the cylinder. The pivot point is the bottom at the adjuster. When at rest, the shoes aren't a perfect circle.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Have you compared old and new wheel cylinders?

The shoe should be close to the drum surface near the bottom, and a well adjusted brake will drag on a free spin.

Keep in mind, with the beefy springs, the the tops of the shoes rest on the pin near the cylinder. The pivot point is the bottom at the adjuster. When at rest, the shoes aren't a perfect circle.

The adjuster is right below the wheel cylinder on this setup

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does this seat look familiar to anyone?

They were bolted into a International Scout II, but definitely didn't come from it originally. Trying to figure out what they're from so we can decide if it would be a travesty to make office chairs (well, shop chairs) out of them.

Full album:
https://imgur.com/a/AWKHq

There's a rear bash panel (it covers the back of the base of the seat) that has some numbers on it, but none have resulted in anything useful in my searches:

S <coach logo - looks familiar but I don't know what it is> 1CAV
PT 1740871
ASM NO 20104425
REV 8

Then "P | P" encircled. Picture of this panel is here.

Thank you!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

MonkeyBot posted:

Autolite copper core. I read through a few sites and they should work. The spark I think was yellow. I was checking in daylight so it was a little tough to tell but really a sort of yellowish white I think.

Those plugs aren't ideal but they're way better than what was in there. Just make sure you have them gapped properly-the spec is .028-.03. 850s are fairly sensitive to ignition components and the OE plugs aren't that expensive so it's probably worth buying a set and swapping them out when you get a chance.

If there's a code for the camshaft position sensor then I'd start there. It's not hard to get to-it's on the driver's side of the engine and it mounts to the back of the head at the end of the exhaust cam. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to test it but if you have a multimeter you can check to see whether it generates a voltage while cranking the engine. It should switch between 0V and 5V but you probably won't see that with a meter because it switches too quickly. Some change is a good sign, though.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

zundfolge posted:

Those plugs aren't ideal but they're way better than what was in there. Just make sure you have them gapped properly-the spec is .028-.03. 850s are fairly sensitive to ignition components and the OE plugs aren't that expensive so it's probably worth buying a set and swapping them out when you get a chance.

If there's a code for the camshaft position sensor then I'd start there. It's not hard to get to-it's on the driver's side of the engine and it mounts to the back of the head at the end of the exhaust cam. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to test it but if you have a multimeter you can check to see whether it generates a voltage while cranking the engine. It should switch between 0V and 5V but you probably won't see that with a meter because it switches too quickly. Some change is a good sign, though.

Yeah I had to gap the plugs myself but they should be right in that range. First time doing it but it's pretty straightforward. I might just order a set of those you linked though because that's about $..63 more per plug than the ones I got. I was finding all the OEM ones at like $6 a pop. I'm getting a 324 or "Camshaft Sensor signal intermittent" so that might be where I head next. That code was throwing about 6 months ago too but maybe it got to the point it's actually causing trouble now.

Everything I read is that the ignition coil is pretty rock solid on the 850 so I'll leave that until later.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Crossposting:

No. They should self adjust when you brake going in reverse. So maybe a couple times then should be good.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
A shop just quoted me ~$1,000 bucks for a problem with my wife's 2006 Honda Fit. I kinda feel like this is the point of no return where I'm going to start getting these kind of bills with regularity as this thing continues to fall apart, and I should probably just get a new car.

Do you guys think this is a reasonable point of view, or am I being too pessimistic?

Frankly, I am cheap as poo poo and neither alternative feels great. The shop quote is from the dealer so I could probably cut it in half elsewhere, but it is still a lot of money to patch up a car that is probably on its last legs anyway. I brought it in because it was over-heating, and it turns out it's got a radiator leak. I'm betting that my wife drove it all day yesterday without any coolant (because she likes to rest her phone on top of the indicator lights) so there might be even more poo poo wrong with it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

A radiator shouldn't cost anywhere near $1000 - on most cars, it's a relatively simple job to perform (lower labor cost) and they're not usually expensive parts (I think the most I've paid for a radiator, over 4 wildly different cars, was $300).

It is almost always cheaper to repair a car you have than to buy a new one. Think about it this way - if you buy a new car, you're going to pay that much in 4 months or less for the payment. If this car is paid off, I would personally keep it and fix it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No I'm pretty sure you can save $1000 by spending $20k

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
What I was getting at was more along the lines of "the routine upkeep of this car seems like it is approaching the cost of an Actual Nice Car's car payment, maybe I should do that instead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Enourmo posted:

No I'm pretty sure you can save $1000 by spending $20k

This needs to be the thread title.