Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows 10 doesn't allow you to install it into systems with less than 1GB RAM. Windows 7 went onto machines with 512MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Nostratic posted:

I double checked my CPU and it's an i5, so I should be good.
Without a doubt.

Even first gen i5 would be absolutely fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows 10 doesn't allow you to install it into systems with less than 1GB RAM. Windows 7 went onto machines with 512MB.

It barely worked on systems with 512 MB though, while 10 works pretty decent on 1 GB RAM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Officially the requirements are 1GB for 32 bit, 2GB for 64 bit, same as 8, 8.1, and 10. 7 may work on less, but it's not supposed to.

In my experience 10 does seem to run slightly better than 7 on low-end hardware. A coworker has an old Vostro 1400 he uses as a beater laptop that definitely got a performance boost going from 7 on SSD to 10 on SSD. It has a 1.2something GHz ULV Core 2 Duo but is still plenty usable. The big question is GPU support. AMD and nVidia both support back to their earliest unified shader designs, Intel supports the GPUs integrated in to CPUs but not the ones integrated in to chipsets (that said the chipset ones were beyond trash anyways and could barely handle Vista/7's Aero).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 8, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honestly the nearly-one-click restore you get in 10 is a boon on old hardware, that you might just be keeping around for web/etc. If you have a slow spinny drive, performance on a mature install will go to rear end over time even if you defrag it as windows spreads over half the disk. You'll notice extra responsiveness on boots / program launches shortly after startup for sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a way of enabling the predictive swipe text from Windows 10 Mobile on desktop? It'd be great on my Surface when I can't flip the keyboard out, but nothing is jumping out at me in Settings.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Well that was remarkably painless. Scheduled the upgrade for midnight, woke up this morning and it's done. Loving the start menu, thank god for that change.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How long does it take after you sign up for Insider builds for your computer to actually receive an Insider build? I changed the setting a couple hours ago and no matter how many times I click Check For Updates I'm not getting anything yet :saddowns:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

loquacius posted:

How long does it take after you sign up for Insider builds for your computer to actually receive an Insider build? I changed the setting a couple hours ago and no matter how many times I click Check For Updates I'm not getting anything yet :saddowns:

It takes a few days. Some Microsoft intern is manually typing your account name into an Excel spreadsheet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whizbang posted:

It takes a few days. Some Microsoft intern is manually typing your account name into an Excel spreadsheet.

I finally got it :toot:

Another question: My antivirus software (Kaspersky) doesn't recognize the new build and wouldn't start up correctly. It thought I was in Safe Mode for some reason. Is this a common occurrence, and if so about when does antivirus software usually recognize a build? When it hits the Slow Ring, or do I have to wait for the official release?

Asking because I'd like to use Bash on my work PC and I don't think they'd take kindly to me voiding my virus protection

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Your company is cool with you using an insider build on your work PC? That's surprising.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CFox posted:

Your company is cool with you using an insider build on your work PC? That's surprising.

Honestly they're probably not, I'm just in the investigative stage before I try talking to them about it any more than I already have. Their attitude toward Win10 in general is "do what you want but we don't support it"; the question is whether that attitude would translate to Insider builds as well or turn to a hard "no". Not being able to use my antivirus software would be a pretty big indicator toward the latter.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
The quoted requirements are the same, but 7 works surprisingly well on 256MB, and 10 can't even log in with double that.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Honestly they're probably not, I'm just in the investigative stage before I try talking to them about it any more than I already have. Their attitude toward Win10 in general is "do what you want but we don't support it"; the question is whether that attitude would translate to Insider builds as well or turn to a hard "no". Not being able to use my antivirus software would be a pretty big indicator toward the latter.

You could always just use a VM for investigation. Also, at least as of a few insider builds ago, Kaspersky didn't work: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14271-mobile-build-14267-1004/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have a Logitech G930 or a Soundblaster Z, and is able to comment on their compatibility with the current version of Win10? Everything I've searched for gives me results from last year when Win10 was released, not anything recent.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a G930 and use it almost every day on Windows 10. It works fine. Battery alerts and macros work as expected through LGS.

If you don't install the drivers it appears as a generic USB audio device. It works on the generic drivers on every OS I've ever used.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

wolrah posted:

I have a G930 and use it almost every day on Windows 10. It works fine. Battery alerts and macros work as expected through LGS.

If you don't install the drivers it appears as a generic USB audio device. It works on the generic drivers on every OS I've ever used.

Nice to hear, thanks.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade from Windows 7 or not on a new computer I have built. The features of Windows 10 sound nice, but I would prefer drivers that have been around for a while and are known to be reliable, as well as older games that don't have compatibility issues with it. Would I be hurting myself in the long run by staying with 7? I just can't decide, I've been reading posts from various forums for the past couple days, and hearing all kinds of opinions. I use my computers almost exclusively for games.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Node posted:

Nice to hear, thanks.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade from Windows 7 or not on a new computer I have built. The features of Windows 10 sound nice, but I would prefer drivers that have been around for a while and are known to be reliable, as well as older games that don't have compatibility issues with it. Would I be hurting myself in the long run by staying with 7? I just can't decide, I've been reading posts from various forums for the past couple days, and hearing all kinds of opinions. I use my computers almost exclusively for games.
Do the upgrade (to get the key registered if nothing else), evaluate if it works for you, go from there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ilkhan posted:

Do the upgrade (to get the key registered if nothing else), evaluate if it works for you, go from there.

I suppose I should do that. Can I do a clean install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and get the key registered that way?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Node posted:

I suppose I should do that. Can I do a clean install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and get the key registered that way?
In theory yes, but the upgrade is quick. Do an upgrade, make sure it shows activated, and then do a clean (or full reset).

How big are the cumulative patches getting these days?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

You could always just use a VM for investigation. Also, at least as of a few insider builds ago, Kaspersky didn't work: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14271-mobile-build-14267-1004/

Ah, good, Kaspersky is what I use at home but it's not what my work uses. That's encouraging news.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Internet Explorer, that condescending piece of poo poo. It derives its language settings from the main keyboard layout. I have a German keyboard layout, but Windows in English. It always sends the de-de language code to sites and I can't change that unless I switch my layout to US. The gently caress is wrong with Microsoft?

Then again, I was just downloading Chrome. Luckily you can override that my adding hl=en to any Google URL.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm sure Microsoft doesn't test any of their software in scenarios where you mix and match your language/regional settings. The results are always hilariously terrible. The whole app thing that came with Windows 8 just adds another separate level of atrocities on top.

Can't even consistently have 24h clock between app tiles and the corresponding apps themselves.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This isn't just in Edge, but also IE11. In older IE versions, you could change it manually, but they've ditched that option for whatever reason. Ah well. At least I know how to bypass their poo poo. Not that I anticipate reinstalling again anytime soon (new SSD, didn't want to clone).

--edit:
Here's another fun one that just happened on this relatively fresh install:

Just slapped Photoshop on my machine, which complained about the ICC profiles, which reminded me to ditch these (they're useless). Went to the PC Settings UWA app, to the display settings and wanted to call up the Display Properties. poo poo failed with no permissions to call rundll32.exe. Took a reboot to get it to work. Yeah, this UWA stuff still has quite a bunch of issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't been able to get into System -> Apps and Features since I installed Windows 10. Storage also hangs, but failed further past the install date.

Apps and features will work on a fresh install, and then break within a couple of hours. Probably some update and/or driver that's causing it. I've tried all the fixes for it too. Thankfully Programs and Features still works :shobon:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Just saw "All your files are exactly where you left them" for the first time. WTF microsoft, why are you so bad at this?

e: oh and apparently this means they get to advertise office 365 to me again.

I really hated microsoft and how much of my time they wasted in the Win95-Win2k era, but I was starting to warm up to them again after Win7 was pretty trouble-free. Welpp

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 12, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm trying to use windows 10 backup feature and back up to my other "server" pc.
When I point backup to the drive and click backup now t works for 10 seconds then the control panel crashes out.

Is there anythign i can try to fix it? what is the best 3rd party solution?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 12, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My almost 4 year old install of Windows 7 is getting a bit flaky so I'm about to do a clean install of Win 10 on this 5 year old machine (Motherboard/CPU/RAM are 5 years old) so is there anything I need to worry about since this is a somewhat older machine? Will I be able to do an install from a USB flash drive on a 5 year old motherboard?

Edit: Motherboard is a MSI P67A-G45

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 12, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally on my laptop with Windows 10 Home, the thing that shows window previews when you hover over the taskbar icons breaks. I can fix it by clicking and dragging upwards to bring up the pop-up menu (I don't remember what it's called). Any ideas why this is happening and/or how to stop it from breaking?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

spasticColon posted:

My almost 4 year old install of Windows 7 is getting a bit flaky so I'm about to do a clean install of Win 10 on this 5 year old machine (Motherboard/CPU/RAM are 5 years old) so is there anything I need to worry about since this is a somewhat older machine? Will I be able to do an install from a USB flash drive on a 5 year old motherboard?

Nothing to worry about, it works fine on much older machines. I am pretty sure every motherboard I've seen in the past 10 years has supported USB boot so you should be fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

More on this topic:

Factor Mystic posted:

My reaction to this was to turn on Windows Defender instead until such time as Kaspersky works again, but I apparently can't turn on the Defender service while Kaspersky is running (or stop the service myself). I found the Protection setting toggle in Kaspersky and turned it off; this doesn't appear to have done anythig. Is there a way to just, y'know, turn Kaspersky off temporarily without uninstalling it outright?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tater_salad posted:

So I'm trying to use windows 10 backup feature and back up to my other "server" pc.
When I point backup to the drive and click backup now t works for 10 seconds then the control panel crashes out.

I'm a fan of Veeam's free endpoint backup: https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

I'm a fan of Veeam's free endpoint backup: https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html
Seconded.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

spasticColon posted:

I have the P67A-GD65 running 10 right now and it's been fine aside from the same kinds of glitches that seem to just be par for the course with 10 in general (start menu weirdness, the taskbar previews disappearing that hooah mentioned, etc.).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

taqueso posted:

Just saw "All your files are exactly where you left them" for the first time. WTF microsoft, why are you so bad at this?

It also reset my default browser, how can they get away with that in EU?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well I just clean installed Win 10 and then installed the newest video card driver I downloaded from Nvidia's website and now it's stuck at the desktop and mouse and keyboard don't work. I tried ctrl+alt+del but that just turns the screen black. I tried turning it off and back on and same result it loads up to the desktop and the keyboard and mouse don't work. WTF?

Edit: nvm I still had my PC hooked up to my hdtv as well and that hosed it up. Unplugged it from my HDTV and now it's working. :doh:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 13, 2016

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tater_salad posted:

The panel closes but the backup continues to run. You can verify using Resource monitor.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

One more question: Do I have to install the Intel storage driver in Windows 10 for TRIM to work on my SSD?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spasticColon posted:

One more question: Do I have to install the Intel storage driver in Windows 10 for TRIM to work on my SSD?

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Does the new Windows bash package allow you to install openssh-server and ssh into your Windows machine?