Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

You guys are currently projected to take the big white forward from marquette

so like 95% of all big white forwards he's gonna be poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

I don't know anything about college bball. Dunno if it's gonna juggle around, but as of right now every simulation I'm running is giving Toronto the 9th pick. Who should I be getting unreasonably excited for and pining for who's gonna be around in that range?

This draft lacks many assured future stars and starters. There are a few players with potential who'll be around in the second half of the lottery.

Your best case scenario is for Jaylen Brown to fall to 9, he's a very bouncy and athletic wing who shot a terrible percentage this year, but his ft% is good. Timothy Luwawu is a long armed sf who made a lot of threes while being left wide open in the Adriatic league, I really like him. The biggest boom bust guy in the draft will be there, Skal Labissiere, who started the year at 2 in most mock drafts and looked like a man who barely knew how to play basketball. He's 7 feet tall and incredibly mobile, he'd be a long term project, a Cabocolo if you will.

Other than that there looks to be a handful of okay bigs, like Brice Johnson/Jakob Poeltl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

How would Murray compared to Devin Booker if we're comparing Kentucky prospects.

It's not an easy comparison to make because they were in way different situations. Booker was a better shooter but he also played on one of the best college teams of all time and wasn't asked to do a lot beyond knocking down open threes. Murray was carrying a much bigger load and had to create more

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What is the tier breakdown in this draft? There's 1/2, then there seems to be a grouping at around... 3-6? But how does it break down from thereon. And I gather that the draft is supposed to be weak in the 3-10ish range, but how does it fare after that?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

NickRoweFillea posted:

You guys are currently projected to take the big white forward from marquette

Unless the Gendo manages to pull some The 6th Man poo poo and get another lottery win for the Timberwolves (or someone falls unexpectedly), Ellenson won't get past them. Word is they're substantially higher on him that they are on Buddy Hield. Which is... something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Geoff Peterson posted:

Unless the Gendo manages to pull some The 6th Man poo poo and get another lottery win for the Timberwolves (or someone falls unexpectedly), Ellenson won't get past them. Word is they're substantially higher on him that they are on Buddy Hield. Which is... something.

It's not just the Wolves, and a lot of it has to do with their ages

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When comparing Hield to a freshman remember that in his freshman year he scored like 7 points a game and shot around 23% from three

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
I've got concerns about Ellenson's defense and I don't trust Taylor enough to choose the right coaching staff to help him make the significant strides he'd need to on both sides of the ball. I'm open to being swayed though. Maybe lock him in a gym with KG for an afternoon and see what happens. But yeah, I'm always skeptical of players who climb rapidly during the tournament, so I'm not really in love with Hield either.

Then again, decades of Wolves-watching has taught me to always be concerned though, so I'm looking forward to wildly overdrafting Rabb or something else nonsensical at 5.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Geoff Peterson posted:

I've got concerns about Ellenson's defense and I don't trust Taylor enough to choose the right coaching staff to help him make the significant strides he'd need to on both sides of the ball. I'm open to being swayed though. Maybe lock him in a gym with KG for an afternoon and see what happens. But yeah, I'm always skeptical of players who climb rapidly during the tournament, so I'm not really in love with Hield either.

Then again, decades of Wolves-watching has taught me to always be concerned though, so I'm looking forward to wildly overdrafting Rabb or something else nonsensical at 5.
If Rick Rikkert and Wally Szcerbiak are anything to go by, locking KG in a gym with a white guy results in not much other than a serious facial injury.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Crazy Ted posted:

If Rick Rikkert and Wally Szcerbiak are anything to go by, locking KG in a gym with a white guy results in not much other than a serious facial injury.

But if it doesn't... the prophecy will come to fruition. The Wolves will have found The One.

Think of how much time they could have saved if KG had been around to screen Love.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My coworker who stalks 8th graders follows long-term college recruiting says there aren't isn't any generational talent in at least the next three years. That seems insane, but how soon do people typically start projection such aspirations on players?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

My coworker who stalks 8th graders follows long-term college recruiting says there aren't isn't any generational talent in at least the next three years. That seems insane, but how soon do people typically start projection such aspirations on players?

iirc, no one cared about Anthony Davis until his Junior year so anything is possible. Also "Generational Talent" sounds like a thing that should only happen like once a decade or so so that kind of checks out to me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Geoff Peterson posted:

I've got concerns about Ellenson's defense and I don't trust Taylor enough to choose the right coaching staff to help him make the significant strides he'd need to on both sides of the ball.

Say what you will about his in-game coaching (it's bad), but Sam Mitchell and the rest of the staff have done absolute wonders this year developing all the young guys. We could do a whole hell of a lot worse than just keeping the entire staff together and just adding a new head coach (moving Mitchell back to assistant).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Next year's incoming college freshman class is really well regarded for what it's worth.

If you want to look there are people ranking kids in middle school. It's weird

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Next year's incoming college freshman class is really well regarded for what it's worth.

If you want to look there are people ranking kinds in middle school. It's weird

How the gently caress can you rank kids who aren't even close to be being fully developed :psyduck:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa has a guy right now, Pete Jok, who at one point some random service had as the best 8th or 9th grader in the country or close to it, and then he promptly blew out his knee, had to undergo multiple surgeries and was struggling to even get D1 offers. He's turned into a good college player (2nd team all conference with a good shot to make money playing overseas after he graduates) but to a lot of people he's always going to be viewed as a disappointment because when he was 14 someone decided he was a future lottery pick.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mr. Show had a sketch about this, basically two scouts fighting over a new born baby or something, havent seen it in a while. I remember 3 or 4 years ago watching Seventh Woods and Thon Maker mixtapes thinking they are going to be world beaters, but now realize that they were just amazing for 14 or 15, that there is still an incredible amount of growth both physically and mentally in the coming 4 yrs and subsequent 1-4 yrs of college. A lot can change. AFAIK Seventh Woods was gonna be the next DRose and now he's #59. Still good but hyped up too much.

Next year in ncaa we will have Gary Trent Jr AND Charles OBannon Jr. This year GPII in nba (for a minute at least, not familiar) For some reason i like seeing older players kids do well after them.

Confession: I really like Gary Trent.

Also be on the lookout for Kristian Doolittle, attending Oklahoma next year. Great name.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

If you want to look there are people ranking kids in middle school. It's weird

Middle school? There's dudes who rank fifth-graders.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ButtWolf posted:

GPII in nba (for a minute at least, not familiar)

He was one of the NCAA leaders in steals which can be a good projection of NBA ability, unless you went to Syracuse. Kris Dunn is also up there with that, Ben Simmons trailing behind

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

It's also worth noting that the last true "generational talent" was told to walk on at Virginia loving Tech.

Scouting/drafting/any kind of player projecting is a complete clusterfuck and you'd have just as good a chance at using bingo balls as a strategy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ranking recruits is way less precise than projecting draft picks. I mean, Towns was the #9 ranked guy according to ESPN. Cliff Alexander was #3, and he is bouncing around the D-League, and these were ranking based on how they played as senior in highschool. You can't accurately project 3+ years into the future well

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvanTH posted:

He was one of the NCAA leaders in steals which can be a good projection of NBA ability, unless you went to Syracuse. Kris Dunn is also up there with that, Ben Simmons trailing behind

Cool. Glove is in my top 10 of all-time, so I hope GPII finds a home, even if it's a defensive backup pg.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

Say what you will about his in-game coaching (it's bad), but Sam Mitchell and the rest of the staff have done absolute wonders this year developing all the young guys. We could do a whole hell of a lot worse than just keeping the entire staff together and just adding a new head coach (moving Mitchell back to assistant).

The coaching staff have done a good job developing the young players, but I'd prefer to move on from Mitchell. That being said, Taylor is loyal to a fault, so even with the potential of the Wolves HC position being highly sought after, I could see him giving Mitchell another year. It's not necessarily the worst move to stay the course and keep things consistent for the young players, but I think they could do a lot better.

So what is the deal with Ellenson? From Draft Express, it sounds like he is a Kevin Love type player. Stretch 4, who can rebound really well, and in addition he has some point forward ability, but just like Love, he's slow defensively and would need an athletic rim protector to cover for him. The Wolves have that now in Towns, but given Towns has good shooting range, I don't know if they necessarily need a stretch 4 to compliment him. The opposite of Ellenson would obviously be Simmons. Who is not a great shooter, but can score around the basket, and plays good defense and can rebound at a high level. Pretending they were equal caliber prospects, I'm not sure if it's better to pair Towns with a stretch 4 who struggles on defense or a true PF who gives them two potentially strong to elite defenders. Simmons will likely be off the board by the Wolves pick, but I'm really not sure what the best type of 4 to pair Towns with would be?

Personally, I think the Wolves really need to add shooters. Ellenson could potentially be that, but Hield has the chance to be the elite shooter that they desperately need. The Wolves really need to start stockpiling shooters to take advantage of the mismatches that Towns, Wiggins, and Lavine should create as they gain experience. Even just seeing what Bjelica has done the past couple games shows what adding shooters to this team could do. Maybe that is why they are reportedly high on Ellenson, though it didn't sound like Wolfson or Krawczynski were that convinced by the reports from Chad Ford.

The Wolves are also expected to have around $20 million in cap room, which is another interesting wrinkle. Depending on what happens with the coaching situation, they could potentially land a decent FA. A backup PG to buy time for Jones to develop would be really nice, especially since their offense dies when Rubio is off the court. Jones is starting to show some flashes, but he needs to make some major strides before they can rely on him.

Edit: Who are the good shooters that are expected to be drafted in the top 10 this year?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 11, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tim Luwawu is not pulling out of the draft.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Aniki posted:

The coaching staff have done a good job developing the young players, but I'd prefer to move on from Mitchell. That being said, Taylor is loyal to a fault, so even with the potential of the Wolves HC position being highly sought after, I could see him giving Mitchell another year. It's not necessarily the worst move to stay the course and keep things consistent for the young players, but I think they could do a lot better.

So what is the deal with Ellenson? From Draft Express, it sounds like he is a Kevin Love type player. Stretch 4, who can rebound really well, and in addition he has some point forward ability, but just like Love, he's slow defensively and would need an athletic rim protector to cover for him. The Wolves have that now in Towns, but given Towns has good shooting range, I don't know if they necessarily need a stretch 4 to compliment him. The opposite of Ellenson would obviously be Simmons. Who is not a great shooter, but can score around the basket, and plays good defense and can rebound at a high level. Pretending they were equal caliber prospects, I'm not sure if it's better to pair Towns with a stretch 4 who struggles on defense or a true PF who gives them two potentially strong to elite defenders. Simmons will likely be off the board by the Wolves pick, but I'm really not sure what the best type of 4 to pair Towns with would be?

Ellenson made 29% of his threes, stretch four is only a projection for him. What people seem to like is that he's a good scorer and a great ball handler for his size. He's more like a pre injury David Lee than Kevin Love. Like David Lee, he's probably not quick enough to be a good defender at pf.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Tim Luwawu is not pulling out of the draft.

Timothy needs to bring his long arms and his sloth like release to Detroit, babaaaay. I've watched him the most out of all the guys in this draft and I really like him.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ellenson made 29% of his threes, stretch four is only a projection for him. What people seem to like is that he's a good scorer and a great ball handler for his size. He's more like a pre injury David Lee than Kevin Love. Like David Lee, he's probably not quick enough to be a good defender at pf.

David Lee was always the poor man's Kevin Love and the Wolves flirted with acquiring Lee at different times, so given that context, I could see why they are interested in Ellenson, especially if they project his shooting to improve.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
David Lee was only the poor man's Kevin Love after he was completely shot, he was the poor man's Amare before that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe it's a Bradley Beal thing and his shot will come around in the pros but right now Ellenson is the latest example of just how badly a white guy can shoot while still universally being regarded as a good shooter.

I might be unfairly down on him because he was so godawful bad against Iowa though. It was just one game and he was a freshman playing against a bunch of seniors but getting brutally owned by Adam Woodbury does not inspire much confidence in one's ability to score against NBA size

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aniki posted:

David Lee was always the poor man's Kevin Love and the Wolves flirted with acquiring Lee at different times, so given that context, I could see why they are interested in Ellenson, especially if they project his shooting to improve.

I don't get how one can be a poor man's Kevin Love when he doesn't shoot threes. That's kind of an important part of Kevin Love's game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kevin Love wasn't regarded as a good shooter coming into the league

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Kevin Love wasn't regarded as a good shooter coming into the league

Yes he was. He was a good shooter at UCLA

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

Timothy needs to bring his long arms and his sloth like release to Detroit, babaaaay. I've watched him the most out of all the guys in this draft and I really like him.

I've watched more Buddy than anyone else in the draft, and that is 100% my fault. Looking around now, I need to apparently bone up on my Diamond Stone.

e. Well now DX has Denzel Valentine for Memphis. I know that he's got a gap in his choppers so big you could execute cool flight maneuvers in an a An-225 through it.

NickRoweFillea fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 12, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

e. Well now DX has Denzel Valentine for Memphis. I know that he's got a gap in his choppers so big you could execute cool flight maneuvers in an a An-225 through it.

I like that pick for ya'll. As long as he agrees to get grizzled real fast and play physical.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A guy named Henry Ellison is not going to be an NBA star, come on.

gently caress, he's from Rice Lake too. He really does have Timberwolves written all over him. If the Wolves move up I am really hoping for Ingram, him at the 3 or playing small-ball 4 is really ideal. If not I want Dragan Bender (ROLL THOSE DICE!) or maybe Sabonis. Keep away from Jaylen Brown.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're drafting way too high to take Sabonis

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

They're drafting way too high to take Sabonis

So they'll probably be somewhere in the 5-6-7 range if they don't move up. Where do you think Sabonis will go?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It seems like people aren't quite sure what to make of Sabonis. The range on him between all of the mock drafts I've seen is as high as #7 (NBADraft.net has him at #5 but they don't count) and as low as #21 :psyduck:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Crazy Ted posted:

It seems like people aren't quite sure what to make of Sabonis. The range on him between all of the mock drafts I've seen is as high as #7 (NBADraft.net has him at #5 but they don't count) and as low as #21 :psyduck:

Mid-to-late teens seems like the most sensible, imo. I don't believe he is projected as some huge talent with star potential.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Skal Labissiere is cracking the top ten in some mock drafts now. Man...either someone is going to real happy or real disappointed three years after they take him. I don't see him as the type of player who has a chance at carving out a decent NBA career - it's boom or bust. Dude spent 3/4 of his season at Kentucky looking too raw to play college basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I think it is due to his name. No reason for him to be in any lottery discussion.

• Locked thread