Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
e-mail as a whole has been poisoned by the outlook reverse-quoting habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, what's up with that poo poo?

prefect posted:

e-mail as a whole has been poisoned by the outlook reverse-quoting habit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

its retarded for turn based chat too, but we use it because its the least common denominator between organizations. mailing lists exist to fulfill intra-organizational chat which belongs on the web either in a forums or web chat or both.

will you just look at this terrible no-good wrong opinion

email via a native client >>>>> web forums any day of the week

if Awful.app and Awful.apk didn't exist these forums would have been dead years ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no. email chat w/ a native client is still mutli-threaded conversations which means its trash. its no where near as good as forums

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
You know it hosed when ur tryna fix ur Linux and instead of getting links to forums u get the mail list. I usually just close it and change my search terms at that point.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol no. email chat w/ a native client is still mutli-threaded conversations which means its trash. its no where near as good as forums

Agreed. Wish my work would use a drat forum instead of 99999999999 emails

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Smythe posted:

You know it hosed when ur tryna fix ur Linux and instead of getting links to forums u get the mail list. I usually just close it and change my search terms at that point.

agreed. after the first few times I had resorted to mailing lists to fix my poo poo, i just narrowed down the problems on a smaller level and had an easier time. usually i get mailing lists if my search is to broad.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

Agreed. Wish my work would use a drat forum instead of 99999999999 emails

and they need to run it on SAVB since it's what I'm most familiar with.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
make sure you have out of office reminders turned on when u go on vacation so the mailing list knows whats up

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Truga posted:

Yeah, what's up with that poo poo?

:rant: :psyboom:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

b0red posted:

i like debian because their mailing lists are so easy to read

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

lmao i thought this was an april fools joke

you mean it isn't?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

broken clock opsec posted:

you mean it isn't?

what does your heart etc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

you mean it isn't?

it's debian

these are the same people who decided to fork firefox so they could keep using an outdated version

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i brought up email being terrible here and it did not go well

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's forums that are utter crap, look at how stupid SA is these days. Every single megathread should properly be a newsgroup.

Mailing lists with public archives are basically newsgroups with way shittier tooling and delivery largely thanks to the technical problems presented by spam plus the fact that nobody has tried to do anything to advance/replace Usenet excepting pirates in the last fifteen years.

We cope, but...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

James Baud posted:

It's forums that are utter crap, look at how stupid SA is these days. Every single megathread should properly be a newsgroup.

Mailing lists with public archives are basically newsgroups with way shittier tooling and delivery largely thanks to the technical problems presented by spam plus the fact that nobody has tried to do anything to advance/replace Usenet excepting pirates in the last fifteen years.

We cope, but...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Being a forum hater I turned avs and sigs off ten years ago and never looked back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

you mean it isn't?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this is a good article about it https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/41085.html

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

James Baud posted:

We cope, but...

threading destroys conversations, it doesn't matter if its SMTP or NNTP, its a garbage nonstarter

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

actually, a news server that does sane things like rewriting In-Reply-To to point to the original post and forbids Subject alteration and deletes nested quoting and the like would be worth exploring

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
news servers are dead, you might as well code a new system from scratch instead of trying to tweak a news server and deal with 40 years of legacy

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
sorry, looks like nntp is actually a relatively fresh technology, being only 30 years old.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if you think mail is a bad medium for discussion, you need to use a better mail client rather than garbage like outlook or web page interfaces, and learn to use filters

also, just because a client can implement threading doesn't mean it has to present threads hierarchically

Mail on OS X and iOS follows In-Reply-To headers as well as other heuristics to group messages by thread, but the messages in a thread are presented at a single level of hierarchy sorted by date, not as an arbitrary hierarchy

many newsreaders I've seen have done the same thing, though trn, gnus, and Unison all just assumed you wanted full hierarchy; I suspect at least for the first two it's easy to disable and customize due to their heritage

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

threading destroys conversations, it doesn't matter if its SMTP or NNTP, its a garbage nonstarter

has someone written a hn or reddit unthreader browser plugin yet
death to threaded conversations

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

if you think mail is a bad medium for discussion, you need to use a better mail client rather than garbage like outlook or web page interfaces, and learn to use filters

also, just because a client can implement threading doesn't mean it has to present threads hierarchically

Mail on OS X and iOS follows In-Reply-To headers as well as other heuristics to group messages by thread, but the messages in a thread are presented at a single level of hierarchy sorted by date, not as an arbitrary hierarchy

many newsreaders I've seen have done the same thing, though trn, gnus, and Unison all just assumed you wanted full hierarchy; I suspect at least for the first two it's easy to disable and customize due to their heritage

like everything SMTP, in-reply-to can't be trusted. also quoting is also all over the loving place, subjects randomly change (re: RE: FW), message ids get hosed with and headers are mangled by mail scanners. it's bad.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the goal isn't using the right configuration with the right client, it's actively preventing every client from doing the wrong thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Wheany posted:

news servers are dead, you might as well code a new system from scratch instead of trying to tweak a news server and deal with 40 years of legacy

NNTP over SSL with a MIME payload is a perfectly serviceable protocol suite for mostly-text non-real-time discussion. you could design a new protocol or two, but why?

I've actually considered forking & updating Papercut to have better auth and back-end abstraction, and even just doing a straight rewrite in Swift. it really doesn't take much code to implement the basics of NNTP either as a server or as a client.

where NNTP gets complicated is in writing and running a server suite that can handle being part of Usenet, particularly the high traffic binaries groups. if you just want to serve a bunch of discussion groups without running a Usenet node, that's easy, it takes orders of magnitude less horsepower than our phones or even watches have.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the goal isn't using the right configuration with the right client, it's actively preventing every client from doing the wrong thing

yes, how dare someone read in a threaded view when you don't want to read that way

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

email is 30 years of bad cruft and anyone who defends it is bad

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
"it's a great idea for clients to determine standards for what thread a conversation belongs to" - a clown at the smtp circus

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

yes, how dare someone read in a threaded view when you don't want to read that way

lol at trusting the client

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my stepdads beer posted:

lol at trusting the client

this forever

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

yes, this exactly, thank you for understanding

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I agree with you.

yes, this exactly, thank you for understanding

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

lol. outlook invented all that poo poo that mail.app does. its a garbage communication format and you cant fix it with a client

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
:siren: x server functional in windows 10 with ubuntu :siren:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

:siren: x server functional :siren:

doubtful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

fritz posted:

doubtful

sadly you're correct

it's just you can connect to a 3rd party x-server already running on windows with the DISPLAY env variable