Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

This scoreboard is so good, it's one of the most dramatic ones I've ever read. Top to bottom I'm looking at champions first then Summoners then items. I was like "what's exceptional about this?" Then I was like...

"Riven jungle is pretty ballsy."
"poo poo they had two solo mages as well that's a risky team"
"Wait Shen and Taric who's the support? Okay Shen has teleport."
"Wait so Shen is obviously top who the gently caress played ADC on this team?"
*finally checks items and kill score*
"Ohhhhhhhh poo poo. It was right in front of my face the whole time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
:barf: Playing during the day is awful I have vomited 200 op.gg MMR over the last 3 days in Normals.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Libertine posted:

This scoreboard is so good, it's one of the most dramatic ones I've ever read. Top to bottom I'm looking at champions first then Summoners then items. I was like "what's exceptional about this?" Then I was like...

"Riven jungle is pretty ballsy."
"poo poo they had two solo mages as well that's a risky team"
"Wait Shen and Taric who's the support? Okay Shen has teleport."
"Wait so Shen is obviously top who the gently caress played ADC on this team?"
*finally checks items and kill score*
"Ohhhhhhhh poo poo. It was right in front of my face the whole time."

I still don't get it. I'm dumb.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
i'll spell it out for you gimme a second

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

My rating for this post: https://youtu.be/JbepN4dKLbU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
:riot: :riot: :riot: :riot: :riot: :riot:

:riot: :riot: :riot: :riot::riot: :riot:

tl;dw: our team gets 3 kills every 2 minutes and after 12 the enemy team opens mid, not even 8 minutes in. Some messing around happens the game ends well before surrender at 20. Then this shows up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

tl;dw: our team gets 3 kills every 2 minutes and after 12 the enemy team opens mid, not even 8 minutes in. Some messing around happens the game ends well before surrender at 20. Then this shows up.

Congratulations, you've entered God I division.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
dont forget the scoreboard

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
also i always wondered what your sa account was, clock

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slydingdoor posted:

I once played against a guy who genuinely thought Plat+ players could choose the rating of their opponents in their "plat panel".

I never imagined he was actually right.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
There's also a fog-of-war toggle that you unlock by getting Diamond the previous season, and at master and challenger, you select to play 4v5s and have one champion on the enemy team be controlled by a bot.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Mash posted:

There's also a fog-of-war toggle that you unlock by getting Diamond the previous season, and at master and challenger, you select to play 4v5s and have one champion on the enemy team be controlled by a bot.

On a more real scenario, the best actual part of being a terrible player and have Challenger icons is the noticeable difference in how stupid players get when they're playing against you.

They either cower and play poorly and overly defensive or, my favorite, spam champion emotes in the most inappropriate times. Players do that all the time but the second they see you wearing that icon on the loading screen it goes up tenfold if they're sub-diamond. They just have to stop and spam laugh when they dodge any skillshot. While still in range for you to engage instead of taking the chance to escape. And then they die.

Repeatedly.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Against a challenger player, the feat is not to best them, but to display publicly that you could not be owned like you have seen others so owned, and were merely stepped on as is right in the world.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just full-on KS'd a penta from some random in a ranked game. We won a fight in their base after taking their inhib down, so the game was all but over. He'd gotten 4 kills and only the enemy support was left. There was no way the support was getting away. Good/Bad thing to do?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You should apologize in real life for this disservice.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
What you did was acceptable

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I got magnificent twisted fate from a hextech box and then warden jax from the free skin for getting a legendary. I feel like I might as well have just got the warden jax cause that tf skin is like identical to his base skin but whatever thanks for the free ~20 bucks of poo poo riot!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Why in the world would you first pick Illaoi? That's just saying "Please pick Nasus and get free stacks!"

See: http://i.imgur.com/QozE8XR.png

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There's a lot of reasons to not pick Illaoi besides that one

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The Mash posted:

I just full-on KS'd a penta from some random in a ranked game. We won a fight in their base after taking their inhib down, so the game was all but over. He'd gotten 4 kills and only the enemy support was left. There was no way the support was getting away. Good/Bad thing to do?

If you can't secure the kill then you didn't deserve the penta is my philosophy. Good on you for getting that sweet support gold.

Edit: NTT, would wanting to win be one of those reasons?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah she sucks. Shame because her damage is wowie

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTT posted:

Against a challenger player, the feat is not to best them, but to display publicly that you could not be owned like you have seen others so owned, and were merely stepped on as is right in the world.

Yeah... pretty much. For those who don't know, depending on what type of player you're playing against, playing defensively but not overly so like that can win you the game against crazy odds in some situations. Some low-ranked challenger players are one-trick ponies that rely on extreme aggression. If they pick a champion that desperately depends on getting fed you can increase your odds a lot by simply not dying, which is easier said than done. If you're, say, gold, and manage to bait and get a kill - which is REALLY not uncommon if you watch those "bronze to challenger" streams, you have to make sure not to throw the advantage again. Getting one or two kills against someone who's overwhelmingly better than you won't stop that person from murdering you and take the advantage back if they want. You can either play safe as long as you can keep up in farm or try to gank other lanes and players who are more vulnerable, but you'll probably be baited and outsmarted if you decide to go one on one even with a gold advantage.

That happens a lot in streams when you see high elo players against low elo. If you're like me, not a particularly mechanically good player, you play the wait game and wait until the enemy make a positioning mistake. That mistake usually comes in the shape of being arrogant and disrespecting your opponent. Because of the snowbally nature of the game most people in LoL do that constantly.

If instead you're worried about improving, against every player overwhelmingly better than you the best practice if you don't care about what others think is to accept your miserable defeat, try your best to play normally, get your rear end kicked, then watch the replay over and over and see what they're doing that you're not. Also, while playing the game goes way beyond laning, if you can get someone better than you to duel you as a different champion and then reverse the match you'll get a huge load of data on what you're doing wrong if you lose both match-ups.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
how to get outplayed so hard you can't see straight for a week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-c8VLS0k60

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
also libertine (or whoever) i found out that yes, they did in fact break kindreds W>Q for urf in that its like old hecarim q, in that it does full damage and has an animation longer than the cooldown

kindreds a real urf shitfucker

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Elentor posted:

Yeah... pretty much. For those who don't know, depending on what type of player you're playing against, playing defensively but not overly so like that can win you the game against crazy odds in some situations. Some low-ranked challenger players are one-trick ponies that rely on extreme aggression. If they pick a champion that desperately depends on getting fed you can increase your odds a lot by simply not dying, which is easier said than done. If you're, say, gold, and manage to bait and get a kill - which is REALLY not uncommon if you watch those "bronze to challenger" streams, you have to make sure not to throw the advantage again. Getting one or two kills against someone who's overwhelmingly better than you won't stop that person from murdering you and take the advantage back if they want. You can either play safe as long as you can keep up in farm or try to gank other lanes and players who are more vulnerable, but you'll probably be baited and outsmarted if you decide to go one on one even with a gold advantage.

That happens a lot in streams when you see high elo players against low elo. If you're like me, not a particularly mechanically good player, you play the wait game and wait until the enemy make a positioning mistake. That mistake usually comes in the shape of being arrogant and disrespecting your opponent. Because of the snowbally nature of the game most people in LoL do that constantly.

If instead you're worried about improving, against every player overwhelmingly better than you the best practice if you don't care about what others think is to accept your miserable defeat, try your best to play normally, get your rear end kicked, then watch the replay over and over and see what they're doing that you're not. Also, while playing the game goes way beyond laning, if you can get someone better than you to duel you as a different champion and then reverse the match you'll get a huge load of data on what you're doing wrong if you lose both match-ups.
I find watching the replay over and over again can be not only good for self improvement but also fun when you can make highlight reels out of them. Bonus points if you're in voice chat.

For instance, yesterday I learned that, as Soraka when towerdiving after poking down the enemy adc who's stupid enough to repeatedly trade against a lane with you in it, you don't use the instant silence field when you're in range of the tower and in a position where you can't juggle it, and no one else has aggro yet. Otherwise you die, the Braum hits 6 off it and ranks his ultimate, and even though he missed everything else he knocks everyone else up and they all die for nothing and you lose the game and it's all your fault.

I went from "how the gently caress did we just win that" to "hahahaha, I'm never making that mistake" just by watching the replay over and over again. Thanks plays.tv!

*accepts gunny sack with dollar sign on it

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

slydingdoor posted:

I find watching the replay over and over again can be not only good for self improvement but also fun when you can make highlight reels out of them. Bonus points if you're in voice chat.

For instance, yesterday I learned that, as Soraka when towerdiving after poking down the enemy adc who's stupid enough to repeatedly trade against a lane with you in it, you don't use the instant silence field when you're in range of the tower and in a position where you can't juggle it, and no one else has aggro yet. Otherwise you die, the Braum hits 6 off it and ranks his ultimate, and even though he missed everything else he knocks everyone else up and they all die for nothing and you lose the game and it's all your fault.

I went from "how the gently caress did we just win that" to "hahahaha, I'm never making that mistake" just by watching the replay over and over again. Thanks plays.tv!

*accepts gunny sack with dollar sign on it

I think pretty much every ability cast on an enemy champion causes you to get tower aggro. I've heard a rumor that there's one true damage attached to abilities that don't cause damage so that they would pull aggro. Not sure if that's actually the case though.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yep, stuff like trundle pillar and anivia wall deals 1 damage to give you an assist and tower aggro

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Elentor posted:

Oof, I've been getting to experience this. I'm playing mid in my school's mini-LCS tourney, and out of the 8 teams 3 of the other mids are Masters/Challenger now or in S5. Over the last ~6 months of playing versus them I've actually gotten a good bit better at surviving lane. In the first few months I would generally get solo-killed mid at least once a game, from overstaying or going out of position, but that happens very rarely now. Instead, my problem is that I've been so conditioned to playing incredibly safely that even when I get first blood on one of them (only in like 2 out of the last 8 game) I have trouble pushing my advantage and often end up getting out-farmed and out-roamed anyway.

At a certain point, they just are just strictly better than I am and that's some of it, but I think the skill that most differentiates them from the other Plat/low Diamond mid laners is how efficient they are with their backs and roams. Even if I put even pressure on the map, they seem to find better timings for everything and inevitably end up 3 or 4 waves ahead at 20 minutes. Just watching how replays to see them manage waves/pressure is really illuminating.

It's frustrating in game but definitely has been a great way to improve, 10/10 would get wrecked again.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

I think pretty much every ability cast on an enemy champion causes you to get tower aggro. I've heard a rumor that there's one true damage attached to abilities that don't cause damage so that they would pull aggro. Not sure if that's actually the case though.

Radical posted:

yep, stuff like trundle pillar and anivia wall deals 1 damage to give you an assist and tower aggro
Nah, the silence field isn't especially weird, because it does damage. Instantly, which is what hosed her up. Not like tristana autoattack, which applies damage slightly after the animation looks like it hits.

I think it's just those terrain making abilities and Zilean bombs that somewhat weirdly draw aggro. Zilean slow doesn't draw it, and probably other non-damaging slows too. What you have to watch out for is those practically meaningless nearly invisible damage over time abilities. Stuff like twitch passive, red buff, teemo poison, darius bleed, and--my personal favorite--alistar passive.

In an NALCS game a pro alistar drew tower aggro by casting heal and trampling the enemy for likely single digit damage. Pre-6, low on mana. Got rooted and cast pulverize, also rooting himself as part of the animation, tower shot after tower shot... It was a similarly hilarious tower dive throw.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I heard Heimer's turrets don't draw aggro.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

I heard Heimer's turrets don't draw aggro.

not sure if this is true but I do know that towers prioritize his turrets over any minion in range, so they get killed in 3 seconds anyway

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

d0grent posted:

not sure if this is true but I do know that towers prioritize his turrets over any minion in range, so they get killed in 3 seconds anyway

This is really helpful if you're trying the 'new' splitpush heimer and you need to delay a few seconds before your next wave comes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

NTT posted:

There's a lot of reasons to not pick Illaoi besides that one

if your teammate picks illaoi just dodge. it's not worth it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Illaoi is good and cool

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
This is true and realistically she's a fine champion, but never will I ever go 'you know what our team needs? illaoi'

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

she was better on release before getting tweaked because people didn't know how the passive works. they still don't, but its easier to be accidentally freed from tentacle prison now that ally kills on the tentacles count.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

itsjustdrew posted:

This is really helpful if you're trying the 'new' splitpush heimer and you need to delay a few seconds before your next wave comes.

The best thing you can do is wait for the tower to start attacking a cannon minion and then drop all 3 turrets instantly (and even your ult if you feel warded and safe) so that they can push the tower down super fast and not get killed by the tower for a solid 6 seconds.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

d0grent posted:

The best thing you can do is wait for the tower to start attacking a cannon minion and then drop all 3 turrets instantly (and even your ult if you feel warded and safe) so that they can push the tower down super fast and not get killed by the tower for a solid 6 seconds.

If you have a cannon creep with the active from BoC you could probably take a tower like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

You can take a tower in 1 wave even without a boc cannon once you get enough ap, so yeah don't leave your Lane alone with a heimer in it

• Locked thread