Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What does everyone mean by doing permadeath in this game? There's a non-permadeath version of the game or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it means "not savescumming" :ssh:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Disinterred some old corpses to rebury them in lavish sarcophagi I'd prepared. Guy doing the task decided to go grab a beer after he'd dug them up, though, and while he was away my dogs descended on the rotten bodies of his former comrades and consumed them whole.

This game got loving grim.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Had alot of fun with this alpha build to kill the weekend for me. First time I actually had more than one person who could shoot good and got to play around with the combat more this time. Chillax was coming off too easy so I went back and restarted on Cass so stuff would happen more and I got really lucky dropping in a the foot of a mountain that took up almost half the map.

Base below the killboxes.

Killboxes

Man covered in vomit while a bird is eating it.

Man covered in vomit, the blacksmith smiles.

More wooden sculptures of people vomiting.

Is she empty?

Feel kinda sorry for the exotic trader buying all these figures of people vomiting or any kind of vomit theme. What in the world do the other factions think of my base if everyone is always vomiting?

The "sniper" came in real handy for infestations because he could act like a tank. With some more base planning to make it bigger and longer hallways made it alittle bit easier just standing back and mowing down bugs. It only was tough when they spawned in the bedrooms and i would have to wait for them to break into the hallway firing range.

Only thing really deadly for the base now is sieges and stupid triple rocket launcher raiders.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 11, 2016

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

same

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well this is reminiscent of something.

e: Man, gently caress bears so hard, killed my pet husky that had been around since founding and when I built a sarcophagus for it, this got put on it:

:smith:

Arianya fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 11, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gbs.jpg

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Conot posted:

Well this is reminiscent of something.

The circle is closed! :iit:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

fart simpson posted:

What does everyone mean by doing permadeath in this game? There's a non-permadeath version of the game or something?

Ironman would be a better term.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Heat wave is funny. I had one start just after some trading visitors arrived. I watch my people and anyone showing heatstroke gets drafted and made to stand in the refrigerated zone till it wears off. The visitors just stood around outside getting sicker till their leader fell unconscious. The rest just up and left at that point so I stripped the guy, took his stuff and waited to see what would happen (he was terrible, not worth trying to rescue/recruit) and sure enough he snuffed it. He didn't even have any parts worth harvesting and didn't drop the contents of the shop either.

At the beginning of the heat wave something else happened. All the animals on the map simply left after they started getting heat stroke. The whole lot walked off to the right of the map and vanished. I thought this was great till I realised I now had no source of meat... They don't come back very fast after it stops either. My colonists ate potato meals for a week or so until some Boomalopes moved back - I killed them all when it was raining and actually salvaged some meat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I love that some of the animals hunt the others for meat although some of their choices for prey are questionable. I saw a warg bleed out after attacking a tortoise as the shell allowed the tortoise to get good set of attacks in before the warg won, also bears getting burnt by boomalopes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I just started my first colony in this new version and a cougar killed and ate my colony's cat within 15 seconds

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

fart simpson posted:

I just started my first colony in this new version and a cougar killed and ate my colony's cat within 15 seconds

Tame the Cougar, it's a better cat.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i've been playing with a few updated mods, specifically one with upgraded turrets, so maybe this isnt as feasible in vanilla, but...

insect farming is so cash: unlimited spider meats, unlimited insect jellies (that never spoil), and a fun balancing act to boot. sure, you can keep your hive farm small and under control, but have you heard of the vast riches that can be had by filling a grand hall with hives? be wary of solar flares that put your turrets offline, and try not to let the hives grow out of hand while you're dealing with that raid. lost 4 colonists (out of 16? i need my colonist hud... :gibs:) when another infestation popped followed by a solar flare. thank god the bugs are dumb, because if they used raider AI, my colony would've been toast

thanks to the guy who pointed out the load order issue with the light efficiency mod.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

drat, how did you get up to 16 colonists? I can never capture very many. Well I do have two raiders captured right now. One is perfectly healthy with great stats, the other one is only good at shooting and melee and has a peg leg, shattered jaw and destroyed eye. Guess which one has 99 recruitment difficulty?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tagichatn posted:

drat, how did you get up to 16 colonists? I can never capture very many. Well I do have two raiders captured right now. One is perfectly healthy with great stats, the other one is only good at shooting and melee and has a peg leg, shattered jaw and destroyed eye. Guess which one has 99 recruitment difficulty?

the number of colonists you can get depends on your storyteller. randy random allows up to 50? you can also adjust the storyteller population limits with a text editor like notepad ++. there are 3: one is a "growth" limit where you'll get wanderers joining and stuff, one is an "natural" limit where you won't get any more of those growth events, and the last is an "overpopulated" limit where you're more likely to get hit with raids and recruitment is more difficult. at least, that's my understanding.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

Set up a new animal zone so that the colony's cat or dog only stays inside the dining room and food storage to make them live longer.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tagichatn posted:

There's a mod which expands the social options and lets you attempt to recruit any villager passing by or visiting. That can get you high numbers pretty fast. I too captured a raider - a 63 year old woman with a bad back. She got her eye shot out in the raid and I had to amputate a lung to stop the infection. So not a great manual labourer ;) But she cooks and has no parts worth harvesting so she lives for now.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ratzap posted:

There's a mod which expands the social options and lets you attempt to recruit any villager passing by or visiting. That can get you high numbers pretty fast. I too captured a raider - a 63 year old woman with a bad back. She got her eye shot out in the raid and I had to amputate a lung to stop the infection. So not a great manual labourer ;) But she cooks and has no parts worth harvesting so she lives for now.

Blood "donor" mod when?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Minarchist posted:

Blood "donor" mod when?

Actually that would be a good idea, blood loss should be a long term thing. Right now it seems to vanish pretty much immediately when you stop the bleeding, it would be much more interesting if it kept affecting the pawn for a while, with blood donation curing a chunk of it at once.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Slime posted:

Actually that would be a good idea, blood loss should be a long term thing. Right now it seems to vanish pretty much immediately when you stop the bleeding, it would be much more interesting if it kept affecting the pawn for a while, with blood donation curing a chunk of it at once.

Keep all the type O prisoners locked in a special medical center explicitly for siphoning off blood Mad Max style :unsmigghh:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Also...there's an implant that stops pain entirely, but are there painkillers? Stimulants? I want to see a whole bunch of crazy future space drugs, some just for leisure and some that are useful for productivity or combat. I want a colony full of cybernetically enhanced meth junkies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had a pretty interesting story unfold yesterday while starting a new colony.

New colonist shows up as a wanderer... he has great hunting and animal skills. Awesome, I think. Great addition to the colony. I give him a pistol and he does his hunting thing, does his taming thing. But he keeps going crazy. I check his needs quickly while attending to some other things and nothing looks too outrageous, until I find that he's complaining about his clothes. He's a nudist! Okay!

I let him remove his clothes and he goes on doing his whole crazy wilderness man thing, taming full sized grizzlies with no pants on. He kept going crazy he keeps dropping his pistol, having his crazy fit, then I have him pick it back up and continue on. I'm working on making the colony a better place, maybe he'll settle down.

At this point I'm buried into a mountain and I have a single chokepoint covered by 3 turrets. I make a zone for "inside base" to retreat to when raiders come. Sure enough, my 2nd or 3rd raider group show up and I sound the retreat into the base. Crazy dude does not like this and on the way back into the base he goes crazy, drops his pistol and begins to wander around just outside of turret range. The 3 raiders catch up to him. 2 with guns and 1 with frag grenades. They are shooting at him and lobbing grenades, but they keep missing their shots and he keeps wandering out of the blast radius on the grenades.

One of the gunman wanders in range of the turrets and gets fragged, right about the same time my crazy colonist fails to wander out of range of a grenade. The other raiders decide to cut their losses, but not before they take crazy colonist as a hostage. Not wanting to lose my colonist, I send out my two best fighters. A stubborn hunter with a survival rifle and my doctor with his plastisteel knife (melee doctors are the worst). The doctor is able to chase them down while the hunter takes pot shots. The doctor slashes the raider carrying crazy colonist and he drops his captive.

I get crazy colonist back to the operating table (in a shared barracks) and I see he lost a leg, his hearing in both ears, and he's unconscious. Only then did I realize that he is 87 years old and has dementia. I guess that explains the mental breaks. Not wanting to give up on the old man, I install a peg leg. The surgery is successful, and now he hobbles around on one leg with no clothes on, unable to hear anything at all. He still carries his pistol around and tames the creatures of the wild, while sometimes forgetting where he is or where he left his gun.

And that's the story of my crazy old colonist who can dodge bullets and grenades while taming grizzly bears.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 11, 2016

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Also...there's an implant that stops pain entirely, but are there painkillers? Stimulants? I want to see a whole bunch of crazy future space drugs, some just for leisure and some that are useful for productivity or combat. I want a colony full of cybernetically enhanced meth junkies.

youre in luck, friend (both updated for a13):

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13400#msg131091

mod posted:

Description:
This mod adds new purchasable drugs to help with pain, focus, speed, and infections. Also adds the ability to make knockoff versions of the drugs, as well as a pharmaceuticals trader that sells medications and occasionally body parts.

Objects Added:
Medical Rack: Provides a simple storage solution for medicine.
Granulation Mill: A large machine for drying, crushing, grinding, sieving, and mixing pharmaceutical ingredients.
Pill Press: A stone table shaped for manually pressing pill tablets from granulated ingredients.

Items Added:
Medicine Blend: Made from herbal medicine and papaver seeds, is more potent than herbal meds.
Papaver: A hardy ornamental plant that grows year-round and is also known for its pharmaceutical uses involving pain.
Strychcyx: The berries grown on this bush are exceptionally bitter. The seeds within are used as muscle stimulants among indigenous tribes.
Vinawinkle: A viny bush with periwinkle flower petals. The petals contain alkaloids known to improve cognitive processing power.
Reishitake: Mushrooms popular among disease-stricken colonies, the Reishitake are best known for their amazing immunity boosting properties.

Methophine: Medical strength painkillers with minimal side effects. Knockoff recipe available.
Psystimall: Medical strength psychostimulants. Known to cause hallucinations. Knockoff recipe available.
Amp: Medical strength muscle stimulants. Knockoff recipe available.
Anmibene: Medical strength antibiotics. Knockoff recipe available.
ZDC: Stolen military grade stimulants used by quick-response scout snipers.

Other:
Drug Crash: Colonists who take Methophine, Psystimall, or Amp have a very rare chance(~1/50) to crash when the effects wear off. The effects of a crash last for about half a day, and result in a poor mood, as well as lowered consciousness/manipulation. Knockoff medications increase the chance this effect will happen.

Intoxicated Wandering: Colonists who severely overdose(player driven) have a chance to wander around intoxicated, not doing what they should. The effects last for about an hour, and never result in violence. Knockoff medications do not affect the chances of this happening.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10571.0

mod posted:

Overview:
This mod gives you the ability to craft your own prostheses and artificial organs. Starting with basic prostheses like a peg leg or a hook hand, you can research everything you can think about : Simple prostheses like the vanilla ones and some new, bionic body parts and even advanced bionics made out of a new, valuable material: Vancidium.
But to get advanced bionics you have to do very much research work and they're also pretty expensive to get. And if you tend to losing your organs, this mod helps, too! You can research and craft surrogate and synthetic organs, so you never have to miss your kidney again! The mod is pretty big, there's enough work to do that there's even in endgame something new to research and to craft available.

Current main features:
6 new workbenches
Craft prostheses! There's a wide array from hook hands to advanced bionic parts!
Many new parts like hook hands, a silent jaw, a brain stimulator, bionic spines, bionic hands and feet, advanced bionic eyes, medical ribs, exoskeleton suits and many more!
Craft organs! Go from rudimentary surrogate organs to high tech synthetic organs!
Cure brain damage using late game brain implants!
Treat bad backs!
An all new material: Vancidium: Upgrade bionics with this extremely valuable material!
New traders: The textile trader and the prostheses trader!
Tons of new research projects!
All prostheses have their own category and trade tag: Basic prostheses, simple prostheses...
Be Frankenstein! Remove limbs or other body parts from one colonist and install them on another!
A missing eye or nose now makes your colonist less beautiful -> debuff to talking

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I had a pretty interesting story unfold yesterday while starting a new colony.

New colonist shows up as a wanderer... he has great hunting and animal skills. Awesome, I think. Great addition to the colony. I give him a pistol and he does his hunting thing, does his taming thing. But he keeps going crazy. I check his needs quickly while attending to some other things and nothing looks too outrageous, until I find that he's complaining about his clothes. He's a nudist! Okay!

I let him remove his clothes and he goes on doing his whole crazy wilderness man thing, taming full sized grizzlies with no pants on. He kept going crazy he keeps dropping his pistol, having his crazy fit, then I have him pick it back up and continue on. I'm working on making the colony a better place, maybe he'll settle down.

At this point I'm buried into a mountain and I have a single chokepoint covered by 3 turrets. I make a zone for "inside base" to retreat to when raiders come. Sure enough, my 2nd or 3rd raider group show up and I sound the retreat into the base. Crazy dude does not like this and on the way back into the base he goes crazy, drops his pistol and begins to wander around just outside of turret range. The 3 raiders catch up to him. 2 with guns and 1 with frag grenades. They are shooting at him and lobbing grenades, but they keep missing their shots and he keeps wandering out of the blast radius on the grenades.

One of the gunman wanders in range of the turrets and gets fragged, right about the same time my crazy colonist fails to wander out of range of a grenade. The other raiders decide to cut their losses, but not before they take crazy colonist as a hostage. Not wanting to lose my colonist, I send out my two best fighters. A stubborn hunter with a survival rifle and my doctor with his plastisteel knife (melee doctors are the worst). The doctor is able to chase them down while the hunter takes pot shots. The doctor slashes the raider carrying crazy colonist and he drops his captive.

I get crazy colonist back to the operating table (in a shared barracks) and I see he lost a leg, his hearing in both ears, and he's unconscious. Only then did I realize that he is 87 years old and has dementia. I guess that explains the mental breaks. Not wanting to give up on the old man, I install a peg leg. The surgery is successful, and now he hobbles around on one leg with no clothes on, unable to hear anything at all. He still carries his pistol around and tames the creatures of the wild, while sometimes forgetting where he is or where he left his gun.

And that's the story of my crazy old colonist who can dodge bullets and grenades while taming grizzly bears.
That's fantastic, I love stories like this and similarly why I love this game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, modders, I have a question. Would it be possible to create a mod that forces people in the home area to take their drat meals to a table if it is available?

In my current colony (which I'm gonna abandon cause I don't feel like tearing half of it down to solve this problem), my layout is basically

[colonist bedrooms] - [kitchen] - [raw food storage] - [dining room] - [prepared meal freezer]

I used to keep the meals in the raw food freezer but it got full so I made a new one. This is where the problem occurs- I have the cook drop the meals on the ground and one of my haulers takes it to the freezer so he doesn't have to walk halfway across the base to drop off the meal. But if there's a meal on the floor in there, the colonists go to pick it up to eat when they wake up. Kitchen is apparently too far from the dining room to trigger the "let's go to the dining room code" so they eat off the floor and are mad all day.

So would the "Stop Eating Off The Floors You loving Filthy Animals" mod be possible, and if so how hard would it be

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I have some gripes about animal taming as it works today. It seems like tamed animals are mostly useless. I just got wiped out on a colony that had 5 bears, 2 boars, and 1 warg because the animals just sat there getting attacked and not attacking back. I didn't have them fully trained, but all of them had basic obedience and even if I had the colonist attacking and "release animals" enabled, the animals just sat there and took their beating, never attacking back.

Also, I had another colony where I had alpacas and muffalos tamed, had them mating and everything. Probably had about 8 of each. But they didn't really provide much milk or wool, and they mated too slow to slaughter them.

Have anyone else noticed animals to be mostly useless? They seem like a time/food sink as they are today.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chickens and dogs own. Chickens give you lots of nutrituous eggs, and I think one egg counts as 5 normal food. Dogs haul stuff for you

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Chickens definitely own, there's a setup time before you have enough that are laying eggs where they're a sink, but after that you're in egg city. I've been churning out hundreds of fine meals using just 1 egg and 5 corn each and I haven't had to worry at all about food shortages in the winter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ok, if a I rescue a downed person, can I get them to join? So far I have rescued two people, but they just stagger off after I heal them.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Do chickens not eat hay after a while? I had a bunch starve themselves to death in a pen full of hay they had free access to, and what wasnt storage for hay was haygrass growing freely.

Were they mad I snapped the necks of every male chick as they are basically worthless?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lockback posted:

Ok, if a I rescue a downed person, can I get them to join? So far I have rescued two people, but they just stagger off after I heal them.

You have to capture them.

This will anger factions, but Spacers(escape pod event) don't really exist.

Edit: Also I have a one eyed, three pawed cat named Akira that fuckin owns.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 12, 2016

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Lockback posted:

You have to arrest and imprison them in order to brainwash them into joining your group.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

Chickens and dogs own. Chickens give you lots of nutrituous eggs, and I think one egg counts as 5 normal food. Dogs haul stuff for you

Boars can also be trained in hauling. I had one game where they reproduced and I had like 20 boars. The negative is they loving wreck your crops. I'm pretty sure I had to eat and kill all of them because they basically ate all my crops while they were growing and killed my food supply.

You need set the animal zones for them so they don't run outside and eat all your plants growing. Its good practice for the fallout event where you cant have your people go outside also.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wargs and huskies can also haul. Sadly I haven't made colonies on maps with chickens yet so I have to kill animals to make my fine meals. My last colony failed horribly but before it did, I had a colonist literally die to squirrels. It was the mad animal event except there were a bunch of them and they mauled him to death. I had another guy get downed by a turtle, I guess turtle shells can stop a steel shiv. I really need to get that crafting table out asap and get my hunters decent clubs or spears.

My current colony is in pretty decent shape somehow. Previously I had started in temperate forests with year-round growing seasons and this one is mountainous with an actual winter, January average of 18F. It definitely requires adjustment. I was able to get some indoor hydroponics up and running and crafted parkas before winter hit but I wasn't expecting the gigantic drain on power. Heating up all the bedrooms and keeping the plants alive costs a bunch, I ended up turning off my turrets except for raids. I have a geothermal plant now, maybe I can keep them up fulltime since I can't be hosed to micromanage that stuff. I've survived 5 raids or so, including a siege and sappers, and a poison ship. Only casualties are a few shot off toes and one of my original 3 colonists got his stomach destroyed. This actually doesn't seem like the disability you would expect since his eating capability is now none. He can still eat though, just somewhat slowly.

I don't suppose traders sell bionic stomachs?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I had a colonist with a destroyed stomach last alpha and it was the worst. Dude spent half his waking hours at the dinner table presumably injecting his food through an IV. Now that days are longer I imagine it's less of an issue.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like a wrecked stomach should limit a person to nutrient paste only. On that subject the nutrient dispenser is a completely useless building right now, given how easy it is to make meals.

Food could do with an overhaul now they've done relationships. Make a balanced diet important so if you live entirely off meat you'll get scurvy.

Edit: Water could be a fun thing to add into a hardcore mode. You need clean drinking water to survive but you can get by with unfiltered brackwater from shallow pools. Bad water can be turned into booze and will satisfy if you can't filter, but you'll turn you colony into 19th century London :v:

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 12, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Speaking of food, has anyone ever run into your cook refusing to cook anything with meat? I'm trying to avoid starvation and my cook is blithely ignoring all the meat when I tell him to cook simple meals, right clicking to prioritize even says "Insufficient materials". The meat is allowed for by the bill, so I can't see any reason he would just outright to refuse perfectly good meat.

e: My colonists also refuse to eat on their own, instead preferring to border on starvation until I spot it and force them to eat. What on earth is wrong with these people?

Arianya fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 12, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Have you set their work day? If they have no free time assigned I don't think they'll eat or do joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Have you set their work day? If they have no free time assigned I don't think they'll eat or do joy.

They had the default 8 hours sleep everything else anything. I only really mess with those times if I get a night owl

EdB Interface isn't updated to Alpha 13 yet,

However, the mod creator has seperated out the pawn selection bar at the top into a seperate mod, which IS updated to Alpha 13

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258.0