Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Toops posted:

This would be awesome, I'm sending you a PM.

As soon as I find out where one has to read pm's I will pm you back lol.

e: found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

of course, the real number is 0.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Toops posted:

Yo guys, I just wanna let you know the weekly update for Solar Plebeian is coming, but this last week was a bit different.

I've really needed to stop and take some time to solidify the asset creation workflow. That means a lot of learning on my end, because I have a pretty amateur theoretical understanding of modeling, materials, lighting, etc. I've been learning on the fly, which is cool, but this last week it became apparent that just grabbing 3d assets and "plugging them in" to the game engine is back-loading the game with tech debt.

So this week I decided we're going to use a metallic PBR (physically-based rendering) workflow using Unity's standard shader. I'm gonna make a "tutorial" video detailing how we go from base 3d model to rendered in-game asset. This is a bit geeky and technical, but I think it's pretty interesting poo poo. At a high-level, the workflow goes like this:

1. Create 3d model in a modeling program (think of this as the sculpting process)
2. UV-unwrap the 3d model (in modeling program) to create the base texture. This is the stimperial process of peeling the skin off the surface of a 3d model and spreading it out on a 2-d plane (the letters "U" and "V" are just the "X" and "Y" axis of the 2d plane that texture is projected on. This is because the x, y, and z axes are already used in the 3d model view. I'm excited about this because I just recently learned what that means and wanted to share it with you all).
3. Import the 3d mesh and UV-unwrapped texture into Substance Designer which is a pretty incredible texture/materials creation tool with full Unity 5 integration
4. In Substance Designer, create the 5 textures to be used by Unity's standard shader:
4a. Diffuse (aka albedo) - this is the base texture that describes how the texture us colored
4b. Normal - this describes what angle light should bounce off a given section of the texture (Chris Roberts apparently thinks this technique is "cheating")
4c. Roughness - Scuffed-up concrete isn't as shiny as polished marble. Basically this grayscale texture describes what parts of the image are smooth/shiny, which are rough/non-reflective
4d. Metallic - This defines what parts of the image are metal, and which are dielectric (non-metal, like plastic, concrete, wood, etc
4e. Ambient Occlusion - What parts of the texture reflect indirect light. So high ambient occlusion on a texture means light that has already bounced will bounce again and reach the camera. Low AO means indirect light will be absorbed.
5. Import the 3d mesh, and Substance Designer output into Unity. Unity has a SD plugin, so I can continue to tweak the diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, and AO textures directly to get the model looking how I want. It's incredibly badass.

Defining a consistent workflow for how textures are built and combined to create materials in Unity is really important. Despite my allergy to spending too much time on bling bling, I want to clearly define this process so that I can more quickly bring in assets and make them match the art style. I've been spending a lot of precious time just thrashing around trying to jam assets into the game. It's really eating into my dev time, so I had to shore this up, and unfortunately, since it's really not a core competency of mine, I have to take a lot of time learning. Although it's fun and I'm enjoying it, this has an impact of demonstrable progress until I get up to speed.

I'm still not sure what the art style is, but having this workflow in place basically allows me to quickly modify assets and iterate so I can arrive at the style I want. This will also help any contributors build assets for the game in a streamlined way. I need to be able to clearly/succinctly communicate to people exactly what my needs are.

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Worrying about technical debt? Standardising workflows? You clearly know nothing about game development!

Seriously though this all sounds pretty awesome, it makes me laugh how much more competent you seem than those calling the shots at CIG :P

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Toops posted:

Yo guys, I just wanna let you know the weekly update for Solar Plebeian is coming, but this last week was a bit different.

I've really needed to stop and take some time to solidify the asset creation workflow. That means a lot of learning on my end, because I have a pretty amateur theoretical understanding of modeling, materials, lighting, etc. I've been learning on the fly, which is cool, but this last week it became apparent that just grabbing 3d assets and "plugging them in" to the game engine is back-loading the game with tech debt.

So this week I decided we're going to use a metallic PBR (physically-based rendering) workflow using Unity's standard shader. I'm gonna make a "tutorial" video detailing how we go from base 3d model to rendered in-game asset. This is a bit geeky and technical, but I think it's pretty interesting poo poo. At a high-level, the workflow goes like this:

1. Create 3d model in a modeling program (think of this as the sculpting process)
2. UV-unwrap the 3d model (in modeling program) to create the base texture. This is the stimperial process of peeling the skin off the surface of a 3d model and spreading it out on a 2-d plane (the letters "U" and "V" are just the "X" and "Y" axis of the 2d plane that texture is projected on. This is because the x, y, and z axes are already used in the 3d model view. I'm excited about this because I just recently learned what that means and wanted to share it with you all).
3. Import the 3d mesh and UV-unwrapped texture into Substance Designer which is a pretty incredible texture/materials creation tool with full Unity 5 integration
4. In Substance Designer, create the 5 textures to be used by Unity's standard shader:
4a. Diffuse (aka albedo) - this is the base texture that describes how the texture us colored
4b. Normal - this describes what angle light should bounce off a given section of the texture (Chris Roberts apparently thinks this technique is "cheating")
4c. Roughness - Scuffed-up concrete isn't as shiny as polished marble. Basically this grayscale texture describes what parts of the image are smooth/shiny, which are rough/non-reflective
4d. Metallic - This defines what parts of the image are metal, and which are dielectric (non-metal, like plastic, concrete, wood, etc
4e. Ambient Occlusion - What parts of the texture reflect indirect light. So high ambient occlusion on a texture means light that has already bounced will bounce again and reach the camera. Low AO means indirect light will be absorbed.
5. Import the 3d mesh, and Substance Designer output into Unity. Unity has a SD plugin, so I can continue to tweak the diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, and AO textures directly to get the model looking how I want. It's incredibly badass.

Defining a consistent workflow for how textures are built and combined to create materials in Unity is really important. Despite my allergy to spending too much time on bling bling, I want to clearly define this process so that I can more quickly bring in assets and make them match the art style. I've been spending a lot of precious time just thrashing around trying to jam assets into the game. It's really eating into my dev time, so I had to shore this up, and unfortunately, since it's really not a core competency of mine, I have to take a lot of time learning. Although it's fun and I'm enjoying it, this has an impact of demonstrable progress until I get up to speed.

I'm still not sure what the art style is, but having this workflow in place basically allows me to quickly modify assets and iterate so I can arrive at the style I want. This will also help any contributors build assets for the game in a streamlined way. I need to be able to clearly/succinctly communicate to people exactly what my needs are.

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Did you just "refactor the pipeline" :laffo:

Jokes aside, Substance Designer is wizard level poo poo. This video talks about Unreal integration but Substance is Substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g4q4iubvg&t=292s

They're not just flat textures, you can gently caress with them programmatically adding scuffs and damage etc. It is a great thing.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A 30GB DOWNLOAD INTO THE SLOT. ITS STAR CITIZEN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE T-POSES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BARKY BARKTONA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME VANDUUL BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS STIMPIRE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES OF SQUADRON 42 AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 WEEKS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Phenylalanine is likely a allergy warning, it's probably sweetened with aspartame. Do you guys sweeten your drugs?

Phenylketonuria is not an allergy.
It's a metabolic genetic defect.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Madcosby posted:

This is going to be so uninteresting and inconsequential brace yourself for boredom!

TOXX: If Derek posts anything remotely ELE ishI 'll never post in this thread again
ELE ish is big news that cripples CIG that we dont already know

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

Did you just "refactor the pipeline" :laffo:

Jokes aside, Substance Designer is wizard level poo poo. This video talks about Unreal integration but Substance is Substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g4q4iubvg&t=292s

They're not just flat textures, you can gently caress with them programmatically adding scuffs and damage etc. It is a great thing.

EXACTLY dude. You can expose texture parameters in Substance Designer, and not only can you then tweak those params in the Unity Editor, but you can actually control the textures in-game, with code.

Here's an example: You have a "damaged metal" filter in SD, set to full transparency. As your ship takes damage, you reduce transparency via a simple damage script. Boom. Damage states.

Oh, and it has a whole suite of tools for procedural terrain generation. Guess who's gonna use that to create an "eyeball to galaxy" hype vid for Solar Plebeian?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

I've been using Blender cause it's 100% free. The learning curve is brutal, but there are lots of good tutorials.

I also downloaded the free trial of 3d studio max, hoping it would magically make things easier. While it's a bit more intuitive, there's no way around how difficult the 3d modeling process is (at least for me).

For modeling asteroids, faces and the like I'd recommend people to try Sculptris - it's free and incredibly intuitive, and the meshes can be imported into blender. Not sure if it would help much with modeling space ships though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNRg6pdNeE

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mr Fronts posted:

Alert - there's a greeble problem in the crotch area...

Paarp is good. Penis is bad.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm kind of glad they just stick to "fidelity" and "immersion" and don't branch out to ruin more of the English language.

You're glad of it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dark Souls III came out today. It doesn't have any spaceships. What it does have is ladders that can evoke a genuine smile of joy. That ladder really did make me smile. Not because it was made of immersion, but because it is a hallmark of good design. I saw a ladder and I was both reminded of all amazing level design in the other From games, and promised the adventure of finding out how to access it later.

Spoiler, it wont be accessed by sliding face-first through a loving bulkhead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

alphabettitouretti posted:

Motherfucker why you need to be running a bank heist to steal gold in space? There's a single asteroid in our solar system that contains an estimated $60tr of gold why would I loving bother robbing a bank to get at something that's everywhere.

I mined it myself so it's free

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

For modeling asteroids, faces and the like I'd recommend people to try Sculptris - it's free and incredibly intuitive, and the meshes can be imported into blender. Not sure if it would help much with modeling space ships though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNRg6pdNeE

I badly misread that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It's absolutely great at making terrain too, and has some pretty awesome texture painting tools

Blender can do all of that of course, it's just that its every other work step is a kick in the balls or a google search

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mr Fronts posted:

I badly misread that.

Hey, it will give you your kink fix too no problem

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ZenMaster posted:

OK, so time for bed. I expect Star Citizen to be out of business, foreclosed sign on door, and Sandi in a unemployment line by breakfast.

You got work to do commandos....

GET TO IT.

Derek, it's still PW protected, come on I want breakfast and hellfire!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Truga posted:

I mined it myself so it's free

:commissar:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

Phenylketonuria is not an allergy.
It's a metabolic genetic defect.

...that's not what an allergy is? No wait I should know this. Allergies are more like autoimmune defects right?

e: that wouldn't be autoimmune defects though, that's something else. gently caress I'm gonna have to google this

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

Do goons (that homogeneous hive mind) have a demand for CIG other than "release a loving game already"?

Honestly, I'm weird like that, but I'd be fine with just what is out *right now*, if they fixed the loving game so it doesn't crash or glitch all the time. That's how low my standards are. What's there is great and plays exactly the way I wanted it to play. But then something glitches and the game crashes or a ship disappears. Basically, a pgabz video happens.

While that's funny on videos, it gets old after it happens for the 2nd time when you just want to shoot at a friend in spaceships.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whatever Derek's blog reveals, I want you all to know that I love you all. Even the guy that backed a stupid belt on Kickstarter.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

ZenMaster posted:

Getting your hopes up about a blog is a bad plan, my friend. It's probably about three solid pages of PARP on repeat.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ZenMaster posted:

You can just do a backlink search to the july blog on google. Should be about the same experience.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toops posted:

When you can, have the base model flight_chair/commando available so that people can scale their stuff to your dimensions.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Gentlemen, it has been a privilege shitposting with you tonight.

Dogstoyevsky fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 12, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Carry on as you are, exactly as you are

My god, Pgabz really is controlling CIG. :monocle:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

blueberrysmith posted:

Getting your hopes up about a blog is a bad plan, my friend. It's probably about three solid pages of PARP on repeat.

Wafflz posted:

You can just do a backlink search to the july blog on google. Should be about the same experience.

Guys every time we make these jokes about Derek, he pushes the ELE back a day.

At this rate, we'll be able to read it sometime in 2018.

:gary:

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
GUYS… GUYS… guys… listen!

LISTEN.

Just loving listen for a second, ok?

What if…

Just imagine, what if…

Just loving imagine what if you just…

You just…

You just take the Windows time and… imagine, listen, you just take your Windows time and move it… just move it 5 years in the FUTURE, open the StarcamCitizen launcher and download the finished game… man guys wouldn't that be awesome?!?! Just imagine with their FUTURE programming as their great clientside wanted timer THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK…

And then you will get StarcamCitizen 2.5 with 1 new shotgun and a shop where you can spend actual money for fedoras

:psyboom:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Toops posted:

EXACTLY dude. You can expose texture parameters in Substance Designer, and not only can you then tweak those params in the Unity Editor, but you can actually control the textures in-game, with code.

Here's an example: You have a "damaged metal" filter in SD, set to full transparency. As your ship takes damage, you reduce transparency via a simple damage script. Boom. Damage states.

Oh, and it has a whole suite of tools for procedural terrain generation. Guess who's gonna use that to create an "eyeball to galaxy" hype vid for Solar Plebeian?

THe rainwater macro in that video is what made me buy substance originally. It is incredible, glad that you're using it for SP!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Variable 5 posted:

Guys every time we make these jokes about Derek, he pushes the ELE back a day.

At this rate, we'll be able to read it sometime in 2018.

:gary:

That's ok, this thread has made me immune to blue balls.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Guys, is it finally over?

... is this Heaven?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Did Derek say what time the blog was unlocking at?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I want that sweet sweet Derek loads.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Croberts can be a bit long-winded and rambling in his answers so I took one of the recent 10 for the chairman episodes and edited it down to more clearly communicate the meat of his answers. Fly angry, commandos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmboss0kD2A

Posting from page 3125

But this video :worship:

Wish i had even the slightest of creative juices that most of you guys/gals have. Some of the Photoshops, gifs and pgabz videos just awesome stuff. :hfive:

:five:

Stannum
May 8, 2005

Toops posted:

Check out Ipackthat for UV packing. It will easily save you a shitload of hours in the uv packing process. I hardly ever do any manual packing anymore.

I prefer Substance over Quixel, but Quixel has a vast amount of preset materials and might get you started faster. Quixel is also probably cheaper.

For anybody interested in Substances here's a quick overview of how it works. Substance are node graphs that have inputs (textures, other node graphs), operators (blending, warping, levels, all kinds of stuff), outputs and spaghetti. This is how a simple substance graph looks like:

One of the cool things about substance is that values that are used can be made into user parameters. You can create a complex substance and then expose values to control, for example, the amount of scratches paint should have or how rusted the metal should be. This album shows a bunch of stone variations: http://imgur.com/a/Yxj0f Its just one substance file with a bunch of exposed parameters that artists can change to create all kinds of variations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

... is this Heaven?

Should I leave now to pick up my new dog or

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

... is this Heaven?

Nearly. So from today you can call this place... Outer Heaven. So if you'll excuse me, I've got to take my shirt off, put on a trenchcoat and start shouting ill-informed rants about genes.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I woke up to this guy demanding to know what's in the blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't read the thread all weekend, someone tell me whats going on please and thank you

• Locked thread