Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I haven't read the thread all weekend, someone tell me whats going on please and thank you

Derek is about to unload a new blog that details the ELE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Eonwe posted:

I haven't read the thread all weekend, someone tell me whats going on please and thank you

Chris Roberts and Ben are taking a step back from SC. Sandi is gonna run the day to day and CR is gonna do ideas stuff but as more of a part time thing. Also kind of an open secret but SC PU is now officially on hold. SQ42 only. Release Q3 2017

Its fun to hack blog pws

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 12, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Star Citizen was changed into a Korean F2P MMO, your completionist package awaits.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hakimashou posted:

I am a member of a little private forum and ofc it has some shitizens, and I've been trying to educate them so they can get their money back. They've also started arguing with each other about it. One of them (2-3 grand taken by croberts as best as I know) said this yesterday:

quote:

a sperg posted:

Yeah space engineers is awesome, completely different game. No mans sky is a completely different game. Elite will put out a sequel but it will still be boring as poo poo.

Elite does not look as good as SC lol, have you even played both of them? ED is a "in ship or buggy" experience. ED does great graphics with the space parts like planets and such, but that's about it.
When it comes to the ships and stations its not even close to the same fidelity.

I'm getting really loving tired of hearing about the "fidelity" of Star Citizen. This is going to be a rant - feel free to skip this poo poo.

Back in the day, all the neighborhood kids had the Atari 2600. If there was ever a machine that emphasized gameplay over graphics, it was this one. Graphics and sound were uniformly poo poo, but the games were cool and functional, and we spent countless hours enjoying them. So one day the Intellivision releases, and the only promise this system had was "better graphics." Today, it's actually hard to tell which system was supposed to be better, but this was the first instance of attempting to market a game purely on fidelity. Take a look at this commercial from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KTjpaG3cg

Does that pitch sound familiar? Did you notice the condescending undercurrent to the presentation? Same poo poo we're hearing with Star Citizen today. Anyone who had an Intellivision will tell you, with a handful of notable exceptions, the games were loving tripe. Yet a small number of kids who could afford one went out and bought it, and they were the most annoying shitstains on the block. Back then they didn't use the word fidelity, it was "CHECK OUT THE GRAPHICS!" These kids would subject themselves to a sub-par gaming experience if the pixels were smaller, or there was less flicker, or 3 more colors on the screen.

Fast-forward to the late 80s - now everyone has an NES, and there is calm for a while. Until the Sega Genesis comes out - and the same goddamned cycle begins again. Except this time it was worse - it was the "bit wars." "THIS SYSTEM IS 16 BIT!" Nobody knew what that meant, and those of us technically knowledgeable enough to know bits weren't always linked to graphics tried to educate people, but it was a losing battle. Again with a few outstanding exceptions, most of the Genesis lineup was pure shovelware, but the 16-bit evangelists were huge pains in the rear end. It didn't matter if the game was any good - IT'S 16-BIT!

The bit wars escalated in ridiculous ways, producing such crap as the Sega 32X, the Atari Jaguar (64-bit!!!!!! except technically not...), and you could bank on two things: the higher the "bits" the worse the game would be because all effort went into graphical quality with gameplay falling far behind, and the evangelists were the worst part of participating in the hobby.

Eventually with the advent of advanced dedicated GPUs, these ridiculous concept wars went away. I thought those days were behind us, but I should have known better. Chris Roberts, the god of bringing back the worst times of Gaming Past, is now bringing back the 2016 version of the "bit wars" - FIDELITY. And the same batch of loving autistic spergs that ruined the enjoyment of gaming in the early 80s, and made it annoying to even mention whether you were a Sega or Nintendo fan in the 90s, are back in loving force, over a decade into the new millennium, to shove their ideas of what constitutes a quality game down the throats of their intellectual superiors.

For these people, graphical fidelity IS the game. They would not care if they were playing Pong - if the ball had enough graphical fidelity and the paddles were immersive enough, they'd call it "unprecedented" and claim it was reinventing gaming.

They were loving retards in the 80s, they were retards in the 90s, and they're retards today. These people have learned nothing during their journey through life, and due to them, I will take great pleasure in Chris Roberts demise. This fucker has done nothing for PC gaming except attempting to set it back decades. His failure will be everyone else's gain, and I hope this time, we leave the past in the past where it belongs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know which of those 3 replies are true but im glad of them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eonwe posted:

G0rf's posts got you covered, nothing happening now pretty much

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

i dont know which of those 3 replies are true but im glad of them

All of them and more

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Wafflz posted:

That's ok, this thread has made me immune to blue balls.

This 100%

This thread is the ultimate act in edging

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Please don't be teasing us
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/719640834900160512

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
a hot take from the frontlines of r/starcitizen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4eg7jz/star_citizen_vs_no_mans_sky/

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The blog is just some details and additional information about stuff we mainly already know about. There's nothing that is like a mega bombshell in the blog itself. It alludes to some things we know a bit about but not much. For the most part the blog is okay, there's some good, more detailed information about things we've speculated on, and a lot of recapping and naturally links back to blogs from 2015 because why say something once when you can say it 20 times? The more interesting stuff comes near about 2/3rd down the page under the header "going for broke - follow the money." The ELE mention itself is in the last section and is pretty good information but more of a teaser, no specifics yet for what will be obvious reasons (that whole "tipping off" thing is real, y'all).

But yes the blog is good but please do not hype yourself too much, it drops a few hints about what many suspect is an ELE but it is not blatant about it so I am sure you will be able to go "hah see Derek just blustering again another blog 2 weeks lol" and that is fine if you want to do that, but don't say you weren't warned.

Source - I've read the blog yo.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Nearly. So from today you can call this place... Outer Heaven. So if you'll excuse me, I've got to take my shirt off, put on a trenchcoat and start shouting ill-informed rants about genes.

Two weeks sounds so much better from old man Salashaska

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

still pw protected shrugs.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Just set your 'readthreadstatus' parameter to 'true'

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

The blog is just some details and additional information about stuff we mainly already know about. There's nothing that is like a mega bombshell in the blog itself. It alludes to some things we know a bit about but not much. For the most part the blog is okay, there's some good, more detailed information about things we've speculated on, and a lot of recapping and naturally links back to blogs from 2015 because why say something once when you can say it 20 times? The more interesting stuff comes near about 2/3rd down the page under the header "going for broke - follow the money." The ELE mention itself is in the last section and is pretty good information but more of a teaser, no specifics yet for what will be obvious reasons (that whole "tipping off" thing is real, y'all).

But yes the blog is good but please do not hype yourself too much, it drops a few hints about what many suspect is an ELE but it is not blatant about it so I am sure you will be able to go "hah see Derek just blustering again another blog 2 weeks lol" and that is fine if you want to do that, but don't say you weren't warned.

Source - I've read the blog yo.

^^ This. All of it.

It is Derek confirming and publicly stating things we've suspected. It might not be as bombastic as some hope but if you're not reading every post in this thread it is pretty big.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

My hot take: Mars Attacks would be a much more fun game.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Mars attacks was a fun film and I still find myself saying, 'ACK ACK ACK' from time to time. GImme that film thanks.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

TTerrible posted:

if you're not reading every post in this thread it is pretty big.

so (hope to our sweet Lord for the health and sanity of my fellow humans) everyone then

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Colour schemes check out at least.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Never seen 2001, but I've read the book and I honestly thought it was overrated. :shrug: On the plus side, I got it in a big compilation book with Day of the Triffids and The Demolished Man, so not a total waste of time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

loving lol.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

At the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, wasn't there a spaceman who was trying really hard to get out of bed, but couldn't seem to manage it?

And wasn't there a really bad song, hidden deep in the code and data?

Well there you go.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sunswipe posted:

Never seen 2001, but I've read the book and I honestly thought it was overrated

The movie is just like the book. Stunning commentary on African tribal politics though for its time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

um what does ELE stand for?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
What happened to the dinosaurs and my gfs holes last weekend.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

i am harry posted:

Every Level Enabled

It refers to the button that CIG have to push to activate the features of the game

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Sunswipe posted:

Never seen 2001, but I've read the book and I honestly thought it was overrated. :shrug: On the plus side, I got it in a big compilation book with Day of the Triffids and The Demolished Man, so not a total waste of time.

The movie is really a different thing altogether. Anything by Kubrick is a joy to watch and 2001 is his finest. Really gorgeous cinematography.

The analogy is apt in a way, because like Croberts, Kubrick was a notorious control freak and redid takes constantly (refactoring, lol) and ran his cast and crew completely ragged. But he was a legit genius, and Croberts is a hack with no imagination or technical aptitude.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It'd be more accurate if instead of the poster for 2001 it was just a picture of Stanley Kubrick being insane and treating one of his actors like poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i am harry posted:

Exaggeration Level Event
-Ryan Archer

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

i am harry posted:

English Language Evenings, it's a series of lectures on the alien language that they're inventing, being hosted from the Manchester offices at 7PM GMT.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

i am harry posted:

Extinction Level Event.

Desktop Commando Derek Smart claims his new blog will shed light on it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

i am harry posted:

Erin's Legendary Exorcism.

Today is the day that Erin Roberts kicks Chris to the curb and actually makes a space game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

:five:

That's awesome

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

Extinction Level Event.

Okay that's what I thought :cripes:

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Beet Wagon posted:

It'd be more accurate if instead of the poster for 2001 it was just a picture of Stanley Kubrick being insane and treating one of his actors like poo poo.

Or an alternate version of the AI: "Of course, Dave, let's do that! Sure! I'll do that for you... in two weeks!"

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Hope he just says what it is. If its an ELE it wouldnt matter if we knew or not. Not like the dinos would be able to do poo poo about a comet whether they knew or not.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Reminder that crobbler doesn't really have prominent cheekbones, just a creative makeup artist.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Blender can do all of that of course, it's just that its every other work step is a kick in the balls or a google search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Toops posted:

Yo guys, I just wanna let you know the weekly update for Solar Plebeian is coming, but this last week was a bit different.

I've really needed to stop and take some time to solidify the asset creation workflow. That means a lot of learning on my end, because I have a pretty amateur theoretical understanding of modeling, materials, lighting, etc. I've been learning on the fly, which is cool, but this last week it became apparent that just grabbing 3d assets and "plugging them in" to the game engine is back-loading the game with tech debt.

So this week I decided we're going to use a metallic PBR (physically-based rendering) workflow using Unity's standard shader. I'm gonna make a "tutorial" video detailing how we go from base 3d model to rendered in-game asset. This is a bit geeky and technical, but I think it's pretty interesting poo poo. At a high-level, the workflow goes like this:

1. Create 3d model in a modeling program (think of this as the sculpting process)
2. UV-unwrap the 3d model (in modeling program) to create the base texture. This is the stimperial process of peeling the skin off the surface of a 3d model and spreading it out on a 2-d plane (the letters "U" and "V" are just the "X" and "Y" axis of the 2d plane that texture is projected on. This is because the x, y, and z axes are already used in the 3d model view. I'm excited about this because I just recently learned what that means and wanted to share it with you all).
3. Import the 3d mesh and UV-unwrapped texture into Substance Designer which is a pretty incredible texture/materials creation tool with full Unity 5 integration
4. In Substance Designer, create the 5 textures to be used by Unity's standard shader:
4a. Diffuse (aka albedo) - this is the base texture that describes how the texture us colored
4b. Normal - this describes what angle light should bounce off a given section of the texture (Chris Roberts apparently thinks this technique is "cheating")
4c. Roughness - Scuffed-up concrete isn't as shiny as polished marble. Basically this grayscale texture describes what parts of the image are smooth/shiny, which are rough/non-reflective
4d. Metallic - This defines what parts of the image are metal, and which are dielectric (non-metal, like plastic, concrete, wood, etc
4e. Ambient Occlusion - What parts of the texture reflect indirect light. So high ambient occlusion on a texture means light that has already bounced will bounce again and reach the camera. Low AO means indirect light will be absorbed.
5. Import the 3d mesh, and Substance Designer output into Unity. Unity has a SD plugin, so I can continue to tweak the diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, and AO textures directly to get the model looking how I want. It's incredibly badass.

Defining a consistent workflow for how textures are built and combined to create materials in Unity is really important. Despite my allergy to spending too much time on bling bling, I want to clearly define this process so that I can more quickly bring in assets and make them match the art style. I've been spending a lot of precious time just thrashing around trying to jam assets into the game. It's really eating into my dev time, so I had to shore this up, and unfortunately, since it's really not a core competency of mine, I have to take a lot of time learning. Although it's fun and I'm enjoying it, this has an impact of demonstrable progress until I get up to speed.

I'm still not sure what the art style is, but having this workflow in place basically allows me to quickly modify assets and iterate so I can arrive at the style I want. This will also help any contributors build assets for the game in a streamlined way. I need to be able to clearly/succinctly communicate to people exactly what my needs are.

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

I don't talk much in the thread except for the occational vid or photoshop, but this truly is amazing, thank you for all the hard work!

• Locked thread