Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

mike12345 posted:

Or an alternate version of the AI: "Of course, Dave, let's do that! Sure! I'll do that for you... in two weeks!"

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."

"Well, uhm, so what we're planning on having is eh um so well cryengine is a really useful tool but has some limitations and I'd imagine in the final what we want is something like sort of and this and erm so the doors would..."

dogge tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Eonwe posted:

I haven't read the thread all weekend, someone tell me whats going on please and thank you

You need to :f5: here: http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

or save yourself some time and don't

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Semisponge posted:

Reminder that crobbler doesn't really have prominent cheekbones, just a creative makeup artist.

I hoped someone with tracing skills might photoshop a hanging coke snot, but that's just me

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

blueberrysmith posted:

or save yourself some time and don't

You, Sir, are a master of self control.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Wafflz posted:

You can just do a backlink search to the july blog on google. Should be about the same experience.

all good doom open beta starts today so i will get my hellfire

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

Today?! I thought it was the 15th.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
https://goontu.be/

Watching the Mummy while waiting for the blog to unlock

Come join

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

A little known fact is that Kubrick also struggled to get space station rings to rotate properly in his effects tests.

http://i.imgur.com/0XECm4p.gifv

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

SurfaceDetail posted:

Chris Roberts and Ben are taking a step back from SC. Sandi is gonna run the day to day and CR is gonna do ideas stuff but as more of a part time thing. Also kind of an open secret but SC PU is now officially on hold. SQ42 only. Release Q3 2017

Its fun to hack blog pws

no no no Ben is taking over, Chris and Sandi are escaping to Panama, Ben will finish Star Citzen on his own, but it will involve scanning the script and uploading one page per day for 10000 days into your hanger and then maybe he will upload some concept art into the hangers...

i am saying it will be a hanger based game now

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dogstoyevsky posted:

A little known fact is that Kubrick also struggled to get space station rings to rotate properly in his effects tests.

:five:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ZenMaster posted:

I thought it started friday?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Semisponge posted:

Reminder that crobbler doesn't really have prominent cheekbones, just a creative makeup artist.
Jesus christ it's like I've entered a new plane of surreality.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TTerrible posted:

Today?! I thought it was the 15th.

pre loading now, maybe I am wrong :(

I set a reminder for myself, I'll see if it loads up and post

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dogstoyevsky posted:

:lol:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Semisponge posted:

Please expand on this

Because it could be the makeup artist who is reading this thread lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

boethius posted:

My hot take: Mars Attacks would be a much more fun game.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Mars attacks was a fun film and I still find myself saying, 'ACK ACK ACK' from time to time. GImme that film thanks.

Exactly. I want fun in a game not tedious locked animations every time I want to do something.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMaster posted:

Insert tasteless abortion joke here

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I thought they were comparing SC to the monolith and NMS to the dog lady's head legit

I was so confused

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Variable 5 posted:

Insert tasteless abortion joke here

:eyepop:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogstoyevsky posted:

This is a good post.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

i am harry posted:

um what does ELE stand for?

Disappointment

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

SurfaceDetail posted:

Hope he just says what it is. If its an ELE it wouldnt matter if we knew or not. Not like the dinos would be able to do poo poo about a comet whether they knew or not.

There are at least two major things coming down the line. One of them he spells out quite clearly because it's public information, basically having to do with the TOS dates and etc.

The second event he can only allude to and it's because it is not so much "hilarious comedy of errors from CIG" and more "hilarious comedy of johnny law wrecking people's poo poo" and it is super dumb to just broadcast that kind of thing lest they turn their attention to you.

There is nothing in this particular blog that is going to like, change your life or anything. If you're not 100% up to date on the thread, it's a good read, and if you are, it fleshes some topics we've had known about out.

But this is just the kind of "here's what to watch out for" post. Like, if you read the back third of this thing (first 2 thirds or so are recap) then you will know what to be watching for.

So basically for weeks now Derek has been saying "2 weeks just wait the end is near" and everyone has said "the gently caress you talking about old man?" Well this is him going "look this is what the prophecy foretells." You don't see it go down yet and you don't get to know the specifics but it does kind of tell you what flavor of apocalypse to expect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMaster posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/WigglyCoordinatedAcaciarat.webm

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Paramemetic posted:

There are at least two major things coming down the line. One of them he spells out quite clearly because it's public information, basically having to do with the TOS dates and etc.

The second event he can only allude to and it's because it is not so much "hilarious comedy of errors from CIG" and more "hilarious comedy of johnny law wrecking people's poo poo" and it is super dumb to just broadcast that kind of thing lest they turn their attention to you.

There is nothing in this particular blog that is going to like, change your life or anything. If you're not 100% up to date on the thread, it's a good read, and if you are, it fleshes some topics we've had known about out.

But this is just the kind of "here's what to watch out for" post. Like, if you read the back third of this thing (first 2 thirds or so are recap) then you will know what to be watching for.

So basically for weeks now Derek has been saying "2 weeks just wait the end is near" and everyone has said "the gently caress you talking about old man?" Well this is him going "look this is what the prophecy foretells." You don't see it go down yet and you don't get to know the specifics but it does kind of tell you what flavor of apocalypse to expect.

I knew it - zombie apocalypse in Star Citizen confirmed.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Semisponge posted:

I guess the company have at least one hardworking employee then

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks guys!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CRHOLLY: I've had a really busy morning. I've devised a system to totally revolutionize space gaming.

LISTER: Get out of town!

CRHOLLY: Yeah, I've decimalized it. Instead of the 32bit, it's 10bit. And I've invented two new dimensions: crap and crashed.

LISTER: Hang on a minute, you can't just invent two new dimensions.

CRHOLLY: Well I have. Now it's X Y Z CRAP I'VE CRASHED AGAIN.

edit: watching amazon women on the moon, prepare for moon landing.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

SurfaceDetail posted:

What happened to the dinosaurs and my gfs holes last weekend.

Freezing to death in a toxic atmosphere?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ewe2 posted:

CRHOLLY: I've had a really busy morning. I've devised a system to totally revolutionize space gaming.

LISTER: Get out of town!

CRHOLLY: Yeah, I've decimalized it. Instead of the 32bit, it's 10bit. And I've invented two new dimensions: crap and crashed.

LISTER: Hang on a minute, you can't just invent two new dimensions.

CRHOLLY: Well I have. Now it's X Y Z CRAP I'VE CRASHED AGAIN.

Is there any possibility that Solar Plebian has room for an AI avatar that's just CR's face on a black background playing through various expressions as it talks?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Paramemetic posted:

:regd09:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

dont laugh, keeps your ships from getting wrinkled

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

Is there any possibility that Solar Plebian has room for an AI avatar that's just CR's face on a black background playing through various expressions as it talks?

I haven't really fleshed out the first-person "experience" yet. I would like to have an area where CR's face is projected wizard of oz style with him mumbling. Unfortunately, I don't want to use anyone's exact likeness from CIG, that's just asking for lawsuits.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

So the cliff's notes are They're hosed, The End, Two Weeks?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Toops posted:

I haven't really fleshed out the first-person "experience" yet. I would like to have an area where CR's face is projected wizard of oz style with him mumbling. Unfortunately, I don't want to use anyone's exact likeness from CIG, that's just asking for lawsuits.

What about a thumb with a face photoshopped onto it? Too similar? ;)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

That 2001 comparison is extremely appropriate. That thing is a 6 hour long snoozefest that totally sacrificed any pacing that would make it remotely watchable so as to jerk itself off with an insane special effects budget. People hold up Kubrick as a genius but he's just reverse Michael Bay, turning money into unending tedium occasionally punctuated by inexplicable garbage, slow, boring scenes with a plank of wood protagonist, or its the vast majority of the film: a very, very slow special effect jerk off session that never looked great to begin with

Entirely appropriate

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TTerrible posted:

Did you just "refactor the pipeline" :laffo:

Jokes aside, Substance Designer is wizard level poo poo. This video talks about Unreal integration but Substance is Substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g4q4iubvg&t=292s

They're not just flat textures, you can gently caress with them programmatically adding scuffs and damage etc. It is a great thing.

It REALLY is wizard level poo poo. It is freaking amazing.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Toops posted:

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Another tip: Don't be afraid to utilize height maps in S:D, and then export those combined as a normal map and make a new S:D project with the new normal map.

Basically my typical workflow is: Model something in max and bake a normal map, take those in to S:D and add little details to the normal with height maps (I think it's a Height Normal Blend node). Then take THAT final normal and create a final S:D project I can get my curve info, world space normals, AO, and other stuff from to make an awesome texture.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

SPOILERS

End boss of S42

ICON OF CIG

Seriously don't look if you want to be surprised.

• Locked thread