Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

That 2001 comparison is extremely appropriate. That thing is a 6 hour long snoozefest that totally sacrificed any pacing that would make it remotely watchable so as to jerk itself off with an insane special effects budget. People hold up Kubrick as a genius but he's just reverse Michael Bay, turning money into unending tedium occasionally punctuated by inexplicable garbage, slow, boring scenes with a plank of wood protagonist, or its the vast majority of the film: a very, very slow special effect jerk off session that never looked great to begin with

Entirely appropriate

I would entice you to read a little more about cinema before passing such harsh judgements on Michael Bay and Kubrick, who are both excellent directors with different strong points. Judging films released nearly 30 years aparts (M. Bay first movie, Bad boys, was released in 1995, 2001 released in 1968) to the same cultural standards will get you nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Where's the blog/code/ele/parp Dr. Smart. WHERE IS IT!?

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

ZenMaster posted:

SPOILERS

End boss of S42

ICON OF CIG

Seriously don't look if you want to be surprised.

"To win you must pay me Chris Roberts!"

Someone record that and pitchshift / backwards mask it!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

same.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It's still being edited it is extending, like the pipeline

Explanations of explanations appearing

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paramemetic posted:

There are at least two major things coming down the line. One of them he spells out quite clearly because it's public information, basically having to do with the TOS dates and etc.

The second event he can only allude to and it's because it is not so much "hilarious comedy of errors from CIG" and more "hilarious comedy of johnny law wrecking people's poo poo" and it is super dumb to just broadcast that kind of thing lest they turn their attention to you.

There is nothing in this particular blog that is going to like, change your life or anything. If you're not 100% up to date on the thread, it's a good read, and if you are, it fleshes some topics we've had known about out.

But this is just the kind of "here's what to watch out for" post. Like, if you read the back third of this thing (first 2 thirds or so are recap) then you will know what to be watching for.

So basically for weeks now Derek has been saying "2 weeks just wait the end is near" and everyone has said "the gently caress you talking about old man?" Well this is him going "look this is what the prophecy foretells." You don't see it go down yet and you don't get to know the specifics but it does kind of tell you what flavor of apocalypse to expect.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was inside of you all along

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Paramemetic posted:

blogception

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek it's noon here. Put down the rum and coke and unlock your blog please and thanks

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I found this high-fidelity cat I made in Blender back in 2011 plz enjoy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Oh come on everybody knows the blog will be a yawn at best, stop hyping it up even more

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Paramemetic posted:

Why publish a protected page to edit when you could just edit the page before you publish it? Does Derek need a hand with the Website Machine? I'm starting to smell troll.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh come on everybody knows the blog will be a yawn at best, stop hyping it up even more

Considering the last blog posts he has done that he hyped in here (and he's not even bothering with this one in this thread) it'll be a rehash of the things he has posted for the last few weeks and won't divulge the nitty gritty of whatever "huge" thing he can't talk about

BUT I WANT TO BELIEVE

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Polish Avenger posted:

Why publish a protected page to edit when you could just edit the page before you publish it? Does Derek need a hand with the Website Machine? I'm starting to smell troll.

Based on the edits that are happening my take on it is that Derek has this tendency to get kind of animated and write a bunch of poo poo, and then when he goes to post it he looks at it and goes 'oh poo poo maybe it is not clear enough' and adds a bunch more poo poo. Then just before he hits the unveil button he reads it again and goes 'oh gently caress maybe that's not clear enough.' Which is why he's added a block quote of the first summary post to the end, and now a paragraph summarizing the block quote.

It's not a troll but like I said it's not life-changing poo poo, I'm being told I'm underselling it but it's mostly just a p good blog.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
what am i doing with my life

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I love the fact that this is so believable.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Paramemetic posted:

Based on the edits that are happening my take on it is that Derek has this tendency to get kind of animated and write a bunch of poo poo, and then when he goes to post it he looks at it and goes 'oh poo poo maybe it is not clear enough' and adds a bunch more poo poo. Then just before he hits the unveil button he reads it again and goes 'oh gently caress maybe that's not clear enough.' Which is why he's added a block quote of the first summary post to the end, and now a paragraph summarizing the block quote.

It's not a troll but like I said it's not life-changing poo poo, I'm being told I'm underselling it but it's mostly just a p good blog.

Your patch notes for an unpublished blog are more comprehensive than Star Citizen patch notes.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flyboi posted:

Considering the last blog posts he has done that he hyped in here (and he's not even bothering with this one in this thread) it'll be a rehash of the things he has posted for the last few weeks and won't divulge the nitty gritty of whatever "huge" thing he can't talk about

BUT I WANT TO BELIEVE

No nitty gritty but I believe it adds a more concrete hint. Like it is somewhere between "they're hosed 2 weeeeekkssss" and "no this is the thing that will go down." It's kind of in this middle ground of like "they're hosed because of this flavor of event"

But there is some other good poo poo in it too that is pretty funny. All in all it's a Derek Smart blog, if you go into it expecting the motherfucking prestige you're gonna be disappointed but like if you're just in for a few card tricks you'll be pleasantly surprised

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Dogstoyevsky posted:

A little known fact is that Kubrick also struggled to get space station rings to rotate properly in his effects tests.

http://i.imgur.com/0XECm4p.gifv

:five:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm told blog is live now

All it says is "let me loving finish"

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Blender is one crazy piece of software. It's got a list of features that's beyond impressive and right past mind-boggling. Sculpting and modeling 3d models? Got you covered. Texture editing, UV unwrapping, raster graphics? Check! Rigging, skinning, animation, lighting, shaders, particle effects? Check, check and check! Blender's got you covered from concept to finished models - just make them look great and drop them straight into your game engine! Except you don't have to do that, 'cause it's got an in-built game engine too.

Except pretty much nobody uses it that way, you always end up using Blender for the things you can't do in some simpler software because the interface is so mind-fuckingly complex. Not that I'd want to scare anyone off it of course, it's one hell of a tool when you manage to understand some part of it. I'd like to see parts of it separated into more intuitive tools, but I could see how that would fuel some endless discussions over at the FOSS community

This is the truth. I started trying to learn Blender on my own and have now bought a book and online classes, because I feel like if I did it on my own my brain would explode. I know other 3D modeling programs as well (SketchUp, Lightwave, Revit) and Blender is loving crazy, both in sheer number of things you can do and in complexity. Very excited to get good at it, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm getting really loving tired of hearing about the "fidelity" of Star Citizen. This is going to be a rant - feel free to skip this poo poo.

Back in the day, all the neighborhood kids had the Atari 2600. If there was ever a machine that emphasized gameplay over graphics, it was this one. Graphics and sound were uniformly poo poo, but the games were cool and functional, and we spent countless hours enjoying them. So one day the Intellivision releases, and the only promise this system had was "better graphics." Today, it's actually hard to tell which system was supposed to be better, but this was the first instance of attempting to market a game purely on fidelity. Take a look at this commercial from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KTjpaG3cg

Does that pitch sound familiar? Did you notice the condescending undercurrent to the presentation? Same poo poo we're hearing with Star Citizen today. Anyone who had an Intellivision will tell you, with a handful of notable exceptions, the games were loving tripe. Yet a small number of kids who could afford one went out and bought it, and they were the most annoying shitstains on the block. Back then they didn't use the word fidelity, it was "CHECK OUT THE GRAPHICS!" These kids would subject themselves to a sub-par gaming experience if the pixels were smaller, or there was less flicker, or 3 more colors on the screen.

Fast-forward to the late 80s - now everyone has an NES, and there is calm for a while. Until the Sega Genesis comes out - and the same goddamned cycle begins again. Except this time it was worse - it was the "bit wars." "THIS SYSTEM IS 16 BIT!" Nobody knew what that meant, and those of us technically knowledgeable enough to know bits weren't always linked to graphics tried to educate people, but it was a losing battle. Again with a few outstanding exceptions, most of the Genesis lineup was pure shovelware, but the 16-bit evangelists were huge pains in the rear end. It didn't matter if the game was any good - IT'S 16-BIT!

The bit wars escalated in ridiculous ways, producing such crap as the Sega 32X, the Atari Jaguar (64-bit!!!!!! except technically not...), and you could bank on two things: the higher the "bits" the worse the game would be because all effort went into graphical quality with gameplay falling far behind, and the evangelists were the worst part of participating in the hobby.

Eventually with the advent of advanced dedicated GPUs, these ridiculous concept wars went away. I thought those days were behind us, but I should have known better. Chris Roberts, the god of bringing back the worst times of Gaming Past, is now bringing back the 2016 version of the "bit wars" - FIDELITY. And the same batch of loving autistic spergs that ruined the enjoyment of gaming in the early 80s, and made it annoying to even mention whether you were a Sega or Nintendo fan in the 90s, are back in loving force, over a decade into the new millennium, to shove their ideas of what constitutes a quality game down the throats of their intellectual superiors.

For these people, graphical fidelity IS the game. They would not care if they were playing Pong - if the ball had enough graphical fidelity and the paddles were immersive enough, they'd call it "unprecedented" and claim it was reinventing gaming.

They were loving retards in the 80s, they were retards in the 90s, and they're retards today. These people have learned nothing during their journey through life, and due to them, I will take great pleasure in Chris Roberts demise. This fucker has done nothing for PC gaming except attempting to set it back decades. His failure will be everyone else's gain, and I hope this time, we leave the past in the past where it belongs.

I'm getting this right now:

https://twitter.com/space_sim_guy/status/719913554690879489

I found the best answer possible; ask them "fidelity to what"?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paramemetic posted:

I'm told blog is live now

It is, I just clicked it a minute earlier for the first time and I was like, what, where's the password, this is live!!

Then I scrolled down and it's still the same poo poo as expected :frog:

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

:effort:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Truga posted:

It is, I just clicked it a minute earlier for the first time and I was like, what, where's the password, this is live!!

Then I scrolled down and it's still the same poo poo as expected :frog:

Read it again. Slowly. :v:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Anything happen over the weekend? I've given up trying to drink from this firehose.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/719920688098910208

highlights
-There are rumors spreading within CIG that Jared is a Derek Smart mole
- Sources close to Chris are saying that the "Evocati" pre-PTU is the result of Chris being utterly embarrassed by funny youtube videos with bugs in them.
- They still haven’t filed any of their financials in the UK
- The FCA were the ones who investigated the Gizmondo crack-up.
- There is very clear overlap in employment between Gizmondo and CIG
- There are multiple third-party reports of the FCA paying CIG a visit in the UK.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

highlights
- Sources close to Chris are saying that the "Evocati" pre-PTU is the result of Chris being utterly embarrassed by funny youtube videos with bugs in them.
- There are multiple third-party reports of the FCA paying CIG a visit in the UK.

So which one of these is the ELE?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Paramemetic posted:

no, he's got his legal team looking at it and making adjustments based on what he ca---

i cant even pretend

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

highlights

Are we supposed to run this through ROT13 and see if anything of substance comes out the other side?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
They was no ELE. The ELE in the blog is, they might run out of money soon and they're gonna have to mess with their TOS again next month

I cant believe I just read that.

excellent 8/10 troll

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

beep_boop posted:

So which one of these is the ELE?

Those last four highlights put together, if they're all true, would be an ELE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kavak posted:

Those last four highlights put together, if they're all true, would be an ELE.

Yeah, isn't that the equivalent of the FCC or the IRS knocking on your door in the US?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

from the Dsmart blog

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, isn't that the equivalent of the FCC or the IRS knocking on your door in the US?

yes

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's a big deal.

Right then, goons. Who are the Financial Services Conduct Authority and why should we care?

They're the British government's financial regulator. They handle financial markets, accredit investment businesses, watch over banks and so on. Basically the equivalent of the SEC. They are very serious business indeed, and any sane business will shudder a little at the thought of a FCA visit unless they're a major multinational. CIG are not a major multinational.

So apparently they've "visited" CIG UK. What does that mean? Quite a lot, actually. The FCA investigative manual is a public domain document, and their entire procedure is online here:

https://www.fca.org.uk/static/documents/enforcement-information-guide.pdf

It sounds like they've at least opened an investigation.

It also has some other very important knock-on effects. The first is that it indicates the UK authorities are (currently) considering CIG to be a financial services entity. That could potentially bring CIG UK into the jurisdiction of a bunch of other consumer and industry bodies, particularly the Financial Services Ombudsman. In that case any UK backer could appeal a closed refund request to the FSO, which could get very interesting very quickly.

This is a genuine ELE if the FCA decide to formally prosecute, or issue indictments.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Eonwe posted:

lol

from the Dsmart blog

that was the highlight

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

highlights

So in other words Derek is still reading through the part of the thread where everyone talked about this stuff (4-6 months ago). I want to see CIG burn like everyone else, but lol at any of this being ELE/new material.

Edit: I'm an American but I remember Brit goons talking about how you do not want to gently caress with the UK tax collectors, so all this does is verify an already well known fact that Roberts and co are dumb as gently caress about everything including money.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 12, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

BadOptics posted:

So in other words Derek is still reading through the part of the thread where everyone talked about this stuff (4-6 months ago). I want to see CIG burn like everyone else, but lol at any of this being ELE/new material.

wrong. the FCA involvement is nothing anyone has ever discussed in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

highlights

So the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has their eye on CIG? Very troubling. Very troubling indeed.

• Locked thread