Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

There's a wild cobra hanging outside my base, killing monkeys and only eating 10% of them for me. Cool, free meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conot posted:

They had the default 8 hours sleep everything else anything. I only really mess with those times if I get a night owl

EdB Interface isn't updated to Alpha 13 yet,

However, the mod creator has seperated out the pawn selection bar at the top into a seperate mod, which IS updated to Alpha 13

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258.0

Unless he's fixed it since yesterday, the colonist bar has a crippling memory leak that will cause crashes every hour or so after you get more than about four colonists

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azhais posted:

Unless he's fixed it since yesterday, the colonist bar has a crippling memory leak that will cause crashes every hour or so after you get more than about four colonists

So that's why I just crashed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So... carcinomas are no joke. I have a colonist with an "extreme" carcinoma and it takes constant treatments, which is a pain because I end up wasting a lot of medicine. I guess I could turn medicine off for this person and just remember to turn it back on if they get shot. On top of that, she gets a constant mood hit due to severe pain and any little scratch will send her to extreme pain, causing her to pass out. She's been incapacitated for a while now due to little injuries here and there. Careful if you end up embarking with a colonist with carcinoma.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Why would you ever willingly pick someone who is ill at the start of the game unless you're doing some kind of challange to yourself?

Also, rip 67 Iguanas. I didn't need 67 of you when this stack of 67 eggs hatched in kitchen storage so I locked you in a freezer till you died of hypothermia. Rip.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I assumed Carcinoma is skin cancer. Did not think it was that big of a deal, but a quick Googling shows that it can affect skin membranes of internal organs, which sounds bad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't wait for Prepare Carefully to be updated. Clicking random until I get a colonist that isn't an asthmatic with dimentia incapable of anything but melee fighting is suffering :smith:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Danaru posted:

I can't wait for Prepare Carefully to be updated. Clicking random until I get a colonist that isn't an asthmatic with dimentia incapable of anything but melee fighting is suffering :smith:

It's already here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

It doesn't let you edit relationships yet but I don't care much about that.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Redist Heat is the only mod I can say I really need at this point.

Please hurry up and update it :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tagichatn posted:

It's already here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

It doesn't let you edit relationships yet but I don't care much about that.

It's reasonably important to check the old injuries box these days. Pretty horrible starting with three guys with cancer or other new horrible diseases.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overwined posted:

Redist Heat is the only mod I can say I really need at this point.

Please hurry up and update it :(

I get the impression from the mod forum that 13 changed some pretty core things. Lots of mods are having issues converting as easily as they have in the past.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

A13 just isn't for me. Maybe with mods in a few months.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's no prepare carefully mod for the latest edition, is there?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tias posted:

There's no prepare carefully mod for the latest edition, is there?

Literally 5 posts ago dude.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ack, sorry, no idea how I could have missed it.

Also, lost my first A13 colony. Build a shelter out of wood, then built rooms of stone around it, figuring the soft shell didn't matter if raiders couldn't burst through my mighty fortifications of marble and slate. Then my battery station short circuited, burning two of my colonists to death in their rooms and killing the rest of heatstroke when they tried to help :eng99:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tias posted:

Ack, sorry, no idea how I could have missed it.

Also, lost my first A13 colony. Build a shelter out of wood, then built rooms of stone around it, figuring the soft shell didn't matter if raiders couldn't burst through my mighty fortifications of marble and slate. Then my battery station short circuited, burning two of my colonists to death in their rooms and killing the rest of heatstroke when they tried to help :eng99:

Our colonists really need to take some classes on wiring these things up. Fires should not be started multiple times a year by faulty wiring, people.

Also seriously gently caress the amount of events that can gently caress with your power, it makes growing stuff like devilstrand a complete crapshoot. A solar flare completely fucks you, the faulty wiring even can gently caress you if it happens at night and you had your batteries taking care of things until they recharged again the next day, an eclipse can still gently caress you even with a few fueled generators around. And then even if you make it past all those, a blight can STILL gently caress half your crop, gently caress, loving hell let me grow some loving mushrooms in peace.

Slime fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 13, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sub Rosa posted:

A13 just isn't for me. Maybe with mods in a few months.

There are already a bunch of mods out, most of the core ones I really care about anyway. Just need LT to update and a bug removal mod and I'll be set.

But yeah, overall A13 has been pretty meh. Social system hasn't had much impact, the bugs are awful, and the new diseases are more annoying than enjoyable in any was especially since they seem way more common than the old ones. At least plagues and flus are short term, my main constructor has had sensory and fibrous mech infections and muscle parasites for almost a season now, 5.4x tiredness gain- I get like an hour a day out of her.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Azhais posted:

There are already a bunch of mods out, most of the core ones I really care about anyway. Just need LT to update and a bug removal mod and I'll be set.

But yeah, overall A13 has been pretty meh. Social system hasn't had much impact, the bugs are awful, and the new diseases are more annoying than enjoyable in any was especially since they seem way more common than the old ones. At least plagues and flus are short term, my main constructor has had sensory and fibrous mech infections and muscle parasites for almost a season now, 5.4x tiredness gain- I get like an hour a day out of her.

One of my pawns has had gut worms for a year. What the gently caress is the point of glitterworld medicine if it can't purge some drat whipworms or whatever she's got?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Slime posted:

Our colonists really need to take some classes on wiring these things up. Fires should not be started multiple times a year by faulty wiring, people.

Also seriously gently caress the amount of events that can gently caress with your power, it makes growing stuff like devilstrand a complete crapshoot. A solar flare completely fucks you, the faulty wiring even can gently caress you if it happens at night and you had your batteries taking care of things until they recharged again the next day, an eclipse can still gently caress you even with a few fueled generators around. And then even if you make it past all those, a blight can STILL gently caress half your crop, gently caress, loving hell let me grow some loving mushrooms in peace.

At times it can feel like that blight event targets devilstrand. I'd had no problems with crops all game then as soon as the first devilstrand patch was ready to harvest - blight. The whole bloody lot gone.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about this game compared to Dwarf Fortress. The storyteller always just seems biased against you, whereas with DF there's a population cap that you can take off, the scheduled caravans and that's it. I wish the storytellers weren't a thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about this game compared to Dwarf Fortress. The storyteller always just seems biased against you, whereas with DF there's a population cap that you can take off, the scheduled caravans and that's it. I wish the storytellers weren't a thing.

Which Storyteller are you using?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
On diseases, I think it could be improved a lot if there was an actual reason for diseases to get spread. Travelling traders spreading it, badly cooked food, catching it from an animal, leaving corpses lying around, maybe mechanites can be caught by being around mechanoids. As it is they're just a roll of a dice with no actual cause, which is boring and doesn't actually provide the player with much agency. If we could do things like stay away from all those filthy diseased strangers, hose everything down in bleach constantly, poison the local mosquito population to reduce the spread of malaria I think disease might feel less like a kick in the dick because you rolled a one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lockback posted:

Which Storyteller are you using?

I'm using the basebuilder one. But still, that's not my point. Every storyteller will trigger events specifically to dick you over, not because the conditions are right for that event. In DF, you get invaded by a legendary creature if you tunnel down to a cave. You get attacked by the Elves if you piss them off and cut lots of trees. Here you get raided at random intervals, your crops die randomly, diseases are spread magically, wires burn suddenly.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Slime posted:

On diseases, I think it could be improved a lot if there was an actual reason for diseases to get spread. Travelling traders spreading it, badly cooked food, catching it from an animal, leaving corpses lying around, maybe mechanites can be caught by being around mechanoids. As it is they're just a roll of a dice with no actual cause, which is boring and doesn't actually provide the player with much agency. If we could do things like stay away from all those filthy diseased strangers, hose everything down in bleach constantly, poison the local mosquito population to reduce the spread of malaria I think disease might feel less like a kick in the dick because you rolled a one.

I wonder if they will introduce water requirements along with waste disposal, hygiene (colonists need to wash to avoid parasites, a dirty kitchen gets you food poisoning) - that sort of thing. They have details like cooking, burying corpses etc already. Adding the circle of poo should be on topic for them I reckon. Colonists who refuse to dig latrines? Lots of good possibilities.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Slime posted:

I mean, there is a "clean" job that sorta cries out to be applied here.

I'm using the basebuilder one. But still, that's not my point. Every storyteller will trigger events specifically to dick you over, not because the conditions are right for that event. In DF, you get invaded by a legendary creature if you tunnel down to a cave. You get attacked by the Elves if you piss them off and cut lots of trees. Here you get raided at random intervals, your crops die randomly, diseases are spread magically, wires burn suddenly.

Yeah, I get your point. I play on Randy Random for that reason, but having events tied to specific actions would be nice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Slime posted:

The wire explosion event is because your batteries were too full. Never overcharge a battery.

I like building the switch connecting to solar panels, wind mills, and batteries so I can turn on and off if I want them connected to the base power grid.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

There are actually positive events too, like cargo pods. Beavers are neutral to good depending how you look at it. Visitors are neutral to good unless disease now I guess (though I haven't had a big problem with disease yet, maybe because of cold!). Anyway, sounds like the glass is half empty for you, chum.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The wire explosion event is because your batteries were too full. Never overcharge a battery.

I like building the switch connecting to solar panels, wind mills, and batteries so I can turn on and off if I want them connected to the base power grid.

You're making GBS threads me. THAT causes it? Ughhh, what a bunch of time wasting micromanaging bullshit. I guess I have to gently caress around turning things off all the drat time then I guess.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tsyni posted:

There are actually positive events too, like cargo pods. Beavers are neutral to good depending how you look at it. Visitors are neutral to good unless disease now I guess (though I haven't had a big problem with disease yet, maybe because of cold!). Anyway, sounds like the glass is half empty for you, chum.

I don't like these either. They're entirely arbitrary. Visitors don't exist to do anything, beavers are just occasional annoyances.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

dunno about overcharging, but if you disconnect it from your network after charging, it will never discharge & you can hook it back up when you need it. the switch might be the same thing but slicker, i never use it. of course, i dont even use batteries anymore w/the introduction of wood-burning electricity since eclipses dont hurt my generation, and since batteries do nothing to mitigate solar flares. i use the fuse mod that lets me deal with flares, but can a nigga get farraday hardening or something? tynan pls

also, agreed on the criticisms of the disease mechanics. stuff like that is why i was trepid about some of the new features. the game needs a balance/common sense pass. the player needs more agency and the game should respond accordingly to our actions. incurable space aids is not fun. i mean, it might be, but not as currently implemented.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think "overcharging" is a thing, I've had them blow up half full. It just gets added to the list of random events the storyteller gets to choose from if you have batteries. "Has batteries? Yes? Blow that bitch up!"

Hell, I wonder if I could ward off the occasional disease by having a generator doing nothing but powering a battery in some stone building someplace vs ditching the batteries after I get geothermal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well the wiki doesn't say its related but I totally see less Bzzzt events when I'm watching the batteries. Only takes like 2 seconds ever day to see if they are too full and queue up the switches.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Slime posted:

You're making GBS threads me. THAT causes it? Ughhh, what a bunch of time wasting micromanaging bullshit. I guess I have to gently caress around turning things off all the drat time then I guess.

Overcharging batteries is not a thing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
RT's fuse mod has been updated in any event, so if bzzts are a huge issue just get the mod and build fuses. Still lose the batteries, but they don't start fires or odd gaps in your power grid anymore

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You know, I think the family relations thing needs a little tweaking. I just got attacked by someone that was a family member of two colonists. I looked at them and discovered this:

Attacker:
Granddaughter of colonist A
Daughter of colonist B
40 (170) years old

A:
Daughter of B
Grandmother of Attacker
25 (147) years old

B: Father of Attacker and A
53 (55) years old

The maths don't line up here damnit. Also Ew.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Time dilation when you travel at near light speeds instead of being interred in some cryosleep casket to wake up like some sort of lovely vampire!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah I was enjoying this patch but even playing with Randy random, I'm getting sick of the game deciding that it's time for my colony to die. I got besieged, managed to beat it with my ridiculously good sniper, then immediately poison ship, and when I beat that at great cost (gently caress mechanoids) I got hit with another siege, at which point I went to bed.

For someone who wrote a book on game design he really seems to be struggling to make his game fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Splode posted:

Yeah I was enjoying this patch but even playing with Randy random, I'm getting sick of the game deciding that it's time for my colony to die. I got besieged, managed to beat it with my ridiculously good sniper, then immediately poison ship, and when I beat that at great cost (gently caress mechanoids) I got hit with another siege, at which point I went to bed.

For someone who wrote a book on game design he really seems to be struggling to make his game fun.

A lot of the game is probably too easy and I think relationships are intended to fix a lot of that by making infighting more common. Endlessly scaling raids aren't fun but neither is total security and that's why we have cave bugs now. I think the game needs to balance raids around objectives that the raiders want. Maybe they want to kidnap one particular person or steal or destroy some kind of tech you have and once they have it they'll bugger off and leave you alone. It could also gate a lot more behind scavenged tech or trading so you can't just spam solar panels and geothermals without some specialist items in order to make the game a little more difficult, the slower pace would be balanced out by more relationship events, actually interesting diseases and other busywork.

Once I get to the point where I have an awesome self-sufficient base with all the cool stuff I just lose interest. The spaceship is a fun little mega project but it ain't Dwarf Fortress levels of fun. Game needs more struggle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splode posted:

Randy spawned a raid during a raid on me last night, both from the same tribe. The second one at least had the dignity to prepare for a while so I had time to kill all their friends first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Demiurge4 posted:

A lot of the game is probably too easy and I think relationships are intended to fix a lot of that by making infighting more common. Endlessly scaling raids aren't fun but neither is total security and that's why we have cave bugs now. I think the game needs to balance raids around objectives that the raiders want. Maybe they want to kidnap one particular person or steal or destroy some kind of tech you have and once they have it they'll bugger off and leave you alone. It could also gate a lot more behind scavenged tech or trading so you can't just spam solar panels and geothermals without some specialist items in order to make the game a little more difficult, the slower pace would be balanced out by more relationship events, actually interesting diseases and other busywork.

Once I get to the point where I have an awesome self-sufficient base with all the cool stuff I just lose interest. The spaceship is a fun little mega project but it ain't Dwarf Fortress levels of fun. Game needs more struggle.

I agree that this patch is easier, but I don't agree that it's too easy. you should be able to run a colony for a fairly long time before it gets wiped. Setting up a fortress in DF that was only killed by fps death is fairly achievable, but next to impossible in Rimworld on the standard difficulty settings. More random bad events certainly aren't helping though. If more of the difficulty came from internal systems rather than rng that would probably help.

You can already increase the difficulty substantially with the more extreme biomes, and the difficulty that comes from that is the fun kind.

I would love to be able to get a colony to a sustainable point and then, when I'm bored with it, abstract it into a permanent faction in the world that future colonies can interact with.

Maybe I should just play with Randy random on a lower difficulty, but it's not all that clear what the difficulty settings actually change