Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Liver Disaster posted:

The difference between deprived and knight is ridiculous, not only are you better geared but the first boss misses most attacks at point blank range on a knight where your deprived can roll behind him during the leap attack and he'll twist and hit you anyway. Deprived run: 47 minutes and counting. Knight run: 3 minutes to kill the boss and set the bonfire.

No poo poo? Its deprived :v:

Seriously all these goons picking deprived for their very first run of a new souls game and then getting absolutely wrecked is hilarious. Get over your pride and pick a normal starting class, sheesh. You can do deprived on your second character if you really wanna sperg about min/maxing your stats. Most people played DS1 as something else before they went deprived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RabidWeasel posted:

The stain drops where you died in the other player's world, it's a bad and dumb change.

Oh.

Well that's confusing.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Would someone be so kind as to explain the human/hollow mechanic in this game, and how it relates to invasions/co-op? I played DS1 and for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pthighs posted:

Would someone be so kind as to explain the human/hollow mechanic in this game, and how it relates to invasions/co-op? I played DS1 and for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

"Hollow" form is the basic form that you start the game in. You cannot co-op (unless you use a certain Miracle) or be invaded in Hollow form. Consuming an Ember or successfully defeating the area boss when co-oping will put you into "Lord of Cinder" form, which has increased maximum HP, can summon players and NPCs for co-op, and can be invaded. There is also an additional Hollowing mechanic, similar to DS2's, which is obtained when certain conditions are met.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

also being in lord of cinder form when you invade, get summoned, or otherwise join another player's world does not let you keep the HP bonus while there afaik

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you die as a red phantom in this game, you lose all your souls and they don't get left as a bloodstain. Kind of sucks since you can't just looking invasions while exploring unless you don't care about souls.

Gotta hoof it to where you died in their world.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I finally found, and died five times, to the master. He doesn't stagger by hitting a 100% shield and he punishes you running out of stamina pretty well. I had to two hand my lucerne and use the spin attack to preempt his iiai strike. I cheesed him like a coward.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Killing two Lothric Knights and a Black knight in a row with only 4 Estus is proving to be a challenge. I know I don't need two, but that fucker is going down.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

"Hollow" form is the basic form that you start the game in. You cannot co-op (unless you use a certain Miracle) or be invaded in Hollow form. Consuming an Ember or successfully defeating the area boss when co-oping will put you into "Lord of Cinder" form, which has increased maximum HP, can summon players and NPCs for co-op, and can be invaded. There is also an additional Hollowing mechanic, similar to DS2's, which is obtained when certain conditions are met.

Thanks. Is there an inexhaustible supply of embers or do I need to hoard them?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

pthighs posted:

Youre normal and experience no status change from death, unless you eat an Ember. Then you're a Lord of Cinder and your max health goes up by +40% and you can summon phantoms and be invaded. When you die you go back to normal. Theres one other status but its plot stuff and I wouldnt concern yourself with it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

pthighs posted:

Co-op revives your cinder mode AND gives you an ember.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pthighs posted:

You can farm them from a number of enemy types. They also give you plenty of fixed ones. And for successfully killing a host or helping them kill a boss you get en Ember in addition to automatically making you a Host of Embers. Feel free to use 'em. I like to pop em in the middle of an area since they fully heal you in addition to expanding your max Hp.

e: Also it's not called "lord of cinder" mode, that's bullcrap fextralife made up. Using an ember makes you a Host of Embers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any penalty on burning undead bone shard on firelink to improve estus?

Also regarding Leonhard at Firelink: I found him first inside and he gave me 5x red cracked orbs. Now I killed the tree boss and I can't see him anywhere and I'm stuck in the game with nowhere to go. Where the gently caress is him to give me the key?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fat Samurai posted:

Killing two Lothric Knights and a Black knight in a row with only 4 Estus is proving to be a challenge. I know I don't need two, but that fucker is going down.

That is not a black knight. :P

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Guillermus posted:

Now I killed the tree boss and I can't see him anywhere and I'm stuck in the game with nowhere to go.

From the entrance to tree boss, turn around and run the opposite direction, then go left across a bridge where there's a couple red cloaked guys with paint bowls (though go right first to open a shortcut).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I suck at Dark Souls times three

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Is there a ring that lets a friendly phantom appear like a host? I was summoned as a mad phantom into a game with two different hosts

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008
Clowned on the first guy with a name feeling like a champion, then promptly got destroyed by a goon with a Katana. GOTY

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Is there a stat that best increases your Fire damage modification? I started with the Fire Gem and slapped it straight away on my Estoc and want to get the most out of my stats with it early on. Obviously am leveling up the weapon as well.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Andrast posted:

You are only invading people who have used an ember and a disproportionately large portion of those are people who coop since you need to be embered to summon.

that's actually a great point and i didn't even think of it like that til you said it. i am used to DS2/SotFS style invasions where anyone can be invaded at any time whether hollow or human or whatever. i forgot that DS1 style was that you had to unhollow (or turn into the Host of Cinder) to even summon people. makes sense then it would be very unlikely to run into someone who is Host of Cinder but not bringing phantoms along.

pmchem posted:

I feel no pity for you or anyone like you. A lot of people just want to have fun with jolly co-operation at release, and people like the guy named 'Hitler' that just came in and stood by a miniboss waiting for me to progress last night are annoying trolls that deserve every 1v3 they face. It's actually quite fun to fool around with or as a white phantom early in DS3 when people have no idea what's going on. It's rewarding to help each other out and you can still lead the exploration if you prefer, too. Praise the Sun.

Also, I read that invasion mechanics prioritize invading people with more phantoms first, so that's why you're getting so many 1v3's. But, does reading it in spoilers instead of figuring that out on your own detract from your enjoyment? Philosophical question...

:qq:

sorry hitler ruined your night? i was more surprised at how many people were doing the whole game co-op mode, but keep raging all you need if hitler hurt your feelings

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Managed to make it all the way to Firelink without dying in my first Souls game! I managed the kill the crystal lizard by making it roll off a cliff. Fucker shouldn't have chased me when I ran.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do deprived on your second character if you really wanna sperg about min/maxing your stats.

deprived isn't even min/maxy (I'd argue knight/pyro are probably the most minmaxy unless you're really specialized)

the only point of deprived is for "challenge mode" not to "get your stats right"

Merauder posted:

Is there a stat that best increases your Fire damage modification? I started with the Fire Gem and slapped it straight away on my Estoc and want to get the most out of my stats with it early on. Obviously am leveling up the weapon as well.

use the item to get rid of the fire damage and put a sharp gem on it :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

From the entrance to tree boss, turn around and run the opposite direction, then go left across a bridge where there's a couple red cloaked guys with paint bowls (though go right first to open a shortcut).

Cheers thank you! This is the first zone I got really really lost after clearing the poo poo out of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there any NPC bullshit in this game that can gently caress you out of items and covenants later, like with not talking to Eileen in Bloodborne?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I seem to be stuck.

I need some doll to enter the mist in the winter area, I dont have it and without going back and combing every area to this point I'm not sure whats next?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

The difference between deprived and knight is ridiculous, not only are you better geared but the first boss misses most attacks at point blank range on a knight where your deprived can roll behind him during the leap attack and he'll twist and hit you anyway. Deprived run: 47 minutes and counting. Knight run: 3 minutes to kill the boss and set the bonfire.

but you come out of it gudder.

e: this was a lie. I'm currently getting my faeces enthusiastically compacted by the first Lothric Knight over and over.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 12, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there any NPC bullshit in this game that can gently caress you out of items and covenants later, like with not talking to Eileen in Bloodborne?

why is this bullshit also yes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Merauder posted:

The Fire Gem infusion completely removes scaling from that weapon. There is a different infusion later on that allows INT/FTH (whichever is lower) fire damage scaling.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There are NPC quests with different outcomes based on what you do and NPC quests you may be unable to complete yes. There is one covenant you can get locked out of for a while, if you choose to fight the (boss spoiler) Curse-rotted Greatwood.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I found a way to the roof of firelink shrine by ramping off a tree. There's secret stuff up there, both inside and around the back!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Vermain posted:

The Fire Gem infusion completely removes scaling from that weapon. There is a different infusion later on that allows INT/FTH (whichever is lower) fire damage scaling.

Ahh alright. While I knew the official scaling was removed as per normal with elemental upgrades, I was thinking along the lines of DS2 which had a specific fire stat you would increase with your Int (I think it was?) which would translate into more damage for fire weapons. WELP :v:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Nuggan posted:

I found a way to the roof of firelink shrine by ramping off a tree. There's secret stuff up there, both inside and around the back!

Let there be jumping

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am glad I have avoided all streams for this game because glancing over the list there is a huge number of people on final bosses or on NG+ or whatever already. God drat guys, it's been out for less than a day, stop memorizing the japanese wiki pages

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Just getting started, but Uchikatana (almost)right from the start? Aw yess!(was it a lucky drop?).

Also deprived fo lyfe.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oovee posted:

Just getting started, but Uchikatana (almost)right from the start? Aw yess!(was it a lucky drop?).

Also deprived fo lyfe.

I bought a leather shield and parried him, it was surprisingly doable. That combined with the longsword's guard break when he raises his sword, which staggers him allowing a flurry of R1's to connect before you roll away.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I got a whip, put fire on it, and then beat up naked katana man by out-ranging him. Glad of Dark Souls 3, except for all of the hitching that seems to happen right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I swear the backstabs hurt more than they help in PvP. A lot of the time I'm about to kill someone they start rolling away. I try to hit them, get a backstab animation that does nothing, and while I'm standing still doing nothing they chug estus.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've decided to go Dex-Faith katana-cleric for now, is that viable later on or am I gimping myself?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Let there be jumping

Speaking of jumping is there any way to remap it to also use the sprint/roll button like in DS1/2? tbh I think using L3 works better but I just know I'm going to get myself murdered by forgetting they changed it at a critical moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

"Farewell, ashen one" she said and my game immediately crashed to desktop. And now crashes every time I try to boot it.

:rip: