Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I really enjoyed this last episode I'm glad it is getting away from the books because it really seems like this show is at its best when it's doing its own thing. Honestly the books are ok but if this show goes it's own direction only borrowing from the books it can be so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Mouse Dresser posted:

Ah! The guy who plays Josh, Trevor Einhorn, was on "Mad Men." He played one of the creative artists in the agency. That's why he looked familiar.

Frederick Crane, you philistine... Also he was recently cast in the Dirty Dancing TV movie thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Iron Rose posted:

You know say what you will about this show but it's actually pretty loving funny.

It's got some good lines, but they're few and far between. That said, this was a decent episode that demonstrated that the show could actually be good if the pacing wasn't so terrible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really hope they saved up some money for the last episode, because Fillory looked pretty darn bad.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Oasx posted:

I really hope they saved up some money for the last episode, because Fillory looked pretty darn bad.

Agreed. I also wish that everyone at Brakebills wasn't so loving obsessed with Fillory. It's hard to take the "Quentin's a loving nerd!" thing seriously when every character was super into Fillory as a kid.

I also hope that there's an awkward moment with Josh and a Centaur or something saying "You never called me.... I miss us."

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Mouse Dresser posted:

Agreed. I also wish that everyone at Brakebills wasn't so loving obsessed with Fillory. It's hard to take the "Quentin's a loving nerd!" thing seriously when every character was super into Fillory as a kid.

If you get to grad school and you're still super obsessed with Narnia folks are gonna call you a dork even if they enjoyed the same books as children.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Are they really not including the scene with Julia? As godawful as it was it kinda defines her character for the rest of the series.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

Are they really not including the scene with Julia? As godawful as it was it kinda defines her character for the rest of the series.

Well that scene took place in book 2 and was a flashback, so it could easily fit in the exact same place and way, if you assume Julia doesn’t remember what's up

And really, every character is pretty different from the books anyway so it doesn't matter.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Bert Roberge posted:

I'm sure Julia will eventually discover what really happened during the ritual. There's no way it went down like she told Quentin, especially with everyone mysteriously gone and Bridge Guy being as creepy as he was.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah there's a shitload of time for them to go through before they may need to reveal it... As in "The entire length of Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I'd doubt that would show up until next season or possibly the third season, since we haven't even gotten near the Tomb yet.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm assuming that they'll battle The Beast in the next episode, but we won't see the huge lead up fight. There also won't be the two guards with them. We'll have Alice turn into the niffin, and probably Penny will lose his hands. Episode ends with a cliffhanger of Quentin getting injured.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I think they're going to encounter the Beast, but they're going to pad out season 2 with Fillory adventures.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Bert Roberge posted:

Book 2 spoilers

Honestly, they could just change the rape to him ripping her soul by any other violent way and nothing would be lost.
Her realization that she's happy and that she didn't need that and finally finding peace being crushed by the wrong god appearing and killing (almost) all of her friends and stealing her soul, leaving her an empty shell/taking away her humanity would still have the same impact without the rape (I actually think it would be a LOT better)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 7, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mastajake posted:

This talk about the book has got me wanting to reread it. So much fun stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. The "can't unring a bell" thing had to be foreshadowing something. Also, I could have sworn I saw a twig coming out of Julia's shirt when she hugged Quentin in her room , but I may just be imagining things.

My working theory is that all the Reynard stuff happened, just off-camera. Julia either doesn't remember/is in shock/invented the goddess and her mission to deal with it. Which would be understandable because there's just no way to show basically demon rape on television and get away with it.

The end of the episode made me hopeful that we'll still get That Other Scene with Alice where she goes Full Speed Force on Martin (or Plover now I guess?) :unsmigghh:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

The end of the episode made me hopeful that we'll still get That Other Scene with Alice where she goes Full Speed Force on Martin (or Plover now I guess?) :unsmigghh:

I think that Plover is just a red herring to "shock" us that The Beast is actually Martin.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
As much as I post about "then canon," I honestly think the show is more approachable and enjoyable for a larger audience.

Kinda sad on a personal level because I'd love to watch a show that was "strictly" about mental illness however, Elliot without his

Two-Face-grin is fun but completely bland.

I am looking forward to the book 1 epilogue where Elliot and co show up and break Quentin out of his funk, though! Elliot's angel wings!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That episode was the best they've done. was funny too. "ok we get it, you hosed animals"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want all of next season to be narrated by Quentin.

Edit: Is Ryan Robbins trying to be in literally everything?

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Magical Dachau.

I am liking how this is turning out. I know people were worried about Quentin being a "chosen one" early on in the series, but adding in the timeloop shenanigans it kinda negates that or more so makes it self-fulfilling in way.

Edit: Ember semen!

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Well, they went there with that scene. When I was reading the books, I got the idea that Ember was an actual talking animal, not a pervo-monster god. Was my impression from the book wrong?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, they were described in the books as literal talking sheep.

That was certainly an odd place to end the season. I don't know if this means they're keeping the Beast as a running villain or what.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

HughGRect posted:

Well, they went there with that scene. When I was reading the books, I got the idea that Ember was an actual talking animal, not a pervo-monster god. Was my impression from the book wrong?

Nope, you were quite right. Though they gave Ember more of Umber's personality I think.

I'm torn at the moment about the finale, I thought it was good and it was obvious we were not going to get the conclusion with The Beast. I don't think it's a bad idea for TV, give audiences a recognizable villain instead of just having a 5-10 scene to tidy things up when so much happens to the Physical Kids.

If they can sell the adventures of Julia and The Beast I think season 2 will be pretty interesting.

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, that was an interesting season finale. Overall I enjoyed the show, not as much as I would have liked, but for an extremely low budget Syfy show, they pulled it off.

- Looks like budget constraints not only gave us a low rent Fillory, and human forms of Ember and Reynard the Fox instead of the likely quite costly CG versions that the books described. And they pretty much gutted the whole adventure through the labyrinth, and what should have been epic boss battle.
- They went there with Julia's rape after all. For a second there I thought they were going to just gloss over that whole storyline. Janet is alive? And, is Julia pregnant? Or was that vaginal secretion just part of her transformation into a demi-goddess?
- Why did they bother to include Josh if he was just going to show up for 2 episodes, and do absolutely nothing?
- Penny lost his hands just like in the books! I'm looking forward to his magical replacement hands next season.
- They described Eliot as becoming the High King, but does this not mean that that Margot, Quentin, and Julia won't be up there with him? Did they give his wife a name? And I'm pretty bummed out that he can't ever get with anybody else ever again. They presented a fully realized gay character on the show, and they just deny him his sexuality just like that. I hope they have something good planned for this storyline.
- Alice didn't become a niffen, so she'll definitely be around next season.
- With the Beast still alive, I expect that they're veering in a whole new direction next season, given that half the book (Julia's story) was brought forward to this season, and the other half is the Kings and Queens of Fillory exploring their kingdom.

Here's to hoping that Syfy gives the show a bigger budget next season.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 12, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, that was an interesting season finale. Overall I enjoyed the show, not as much as I would have liked, but for an extremely low budget Syfy show, they pulled it off.

- Looks like budget constraints not only gave us a low rent Fillory, and human forms of Ember and Ranier the Fox instead of the likely quite costly CG versions that the books described. And they pretty much gutted the whole adventure through the labyrinth, and what should have been epic boss battle.
- They went there with Julia's rape after all. For a second there I thought they were going to just gloss over that whole storyline. Janet is alive? And, is Julia pregnant? Or was that vaginal secretion just part of her transformation into a demi-goddess?
- Why did they bother to include Josh if he was just going to show up for 2 episodes, and do absolutely nothing?
- Penny lost his hands just like in the books! I'm looking forward to his magical replacement hands next season.
- They described Eliot as becoming the High King, but does this not mean that that Margot, Quentin, and Julia won't be up there with him? Did they give his wife a name? And I'm pretty bummed out that he can't ever get with anybody else ever again. They presented a fully realized gay character on the show, and they just deny him his sexuality just like that. I hope they have something good planned for this storyline.
- Alice didn't become a niffen, so she'll definitely be around next season.
- With the Beast still alive, I expect that they're veering in a whole new direction next season, given that half the book (Julia's story) was brought forward to this season, and the other half is the Kings and Queens of Fillory exploring their kingdom.

Here's to hoping that Syfy gives the show a bigger budget next season.

- I'm fine with Reynard "possessing" instead of being corporeal. That would have been a tougher sell to execs and audiences. But at least they alluded to his true form. As for Ember, same reason.
- I don't think Julia is pregnant. I think it was to mirror Alice and her "enhancement". It's up to the audiences to infer that they have been "impregnated with power".
- Josh is scheduled to be more of a regular next year. And after what he and Victoria experienced, do you blame him for leaving?
- Eliot's situation is interesting and I hope a way the show can explore some of those new barriers Eliot now faces.
- Alice - I'm not surprised.Thought I'm certain that there will be a future standoff with The Beast without some special knife.
- Julia and The Beast - what better way to make a villain for the end of next season while complicating him to audiences? Especially after only 2 or 3 appearances totaling less than 60 seconds.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Here I was expecting the season to end with the time loop being reset. Each season is a rewind of the season previous, but with Q cognizant of the loop. That's how he starts off each season in the Looney Bin, and we get a few seasons of Groundhog Day until they get it right.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
overall I thought the season started slowly but the latter half was just excellent. Most of the complaints are about deviations from the books but overall I found the show more enjoyable. The finale was brutal and it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Huh. So they did a great job leaving the season on a cliffhanger. I'm actually anxious to see what happens next season.

Slightly creeped out/disappointed in the Human Ember, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chiming in to agree, pretty great finale. Good thing they already got picked up for a second season or I'd be irritated.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

"Well, High King sort of makes sense"

I laughed way too hard at that.

Edit: Solid episode. Interesting that they brought Marina back, curious to see where they go with that.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 12, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Well, High King sort of makes sense"

I laughed way too hard at that.

I... I completely missed that joke.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This was definitely the best part of an overall bad season, though it did significantly improve over time.
The joke about not having the budget to do the castle was funny, but i still don't get the point in trying to adapt a book that you know you will have to half-rear end because of budget issues.
Penny was an improvement over the book, but other than that i can't think of a single change that didn't make the show worse.
The one good thing i can say is that the have adapted pretty much all of the best material from the books, so now they have an actual chance of telling a good story for season two, where the book won't automatically be much better.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Oasx posted:

This was definitely the best part of an overall bad season, though it did significantly improve over time.

Once they stopped trying to show daily life at Brakebills, (which they really hosed up, it looked like a community college rather than a great school of magic), things really stepped up.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quentin's "I realise that I'm not the hero of this story" monologue would have been very poignant - great job by Jason Ralph - but through the whole scene I was watching Alice's expression and thinking, "you just want to watch me drink a Mason jar full of ram semen, rear end in a top hat."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Book Easter egg: the younger knifemaker's name was Dint.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
This show and the Expanse were both really great, and I'm glad to see SciFi Syfy back in the game.

I think despite the budget woes, I enjoyed the Magicians more overall - and it might end up being my favorite show this year... I think I'm going to binge the books in the off season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Oh yeah. That was good. For the limitations of the budget, the show was pretty good. Great finale.

Everything is different now. That's probably for the best, given how the rest of the books play out, but drat I enjoyed that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Who played adult Martin/The Beast?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who played adult Martin/The Beast?

Charles Mesure http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0582351/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl10

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
On further thought, things that leap out at me in no apparent order:

Julia's plot line remains similar, but now ties in to the main story a hell of a lot better. Martin loving over the Fillory gods leading her to look to him to help her do the same thematically works for me. Surprisingly well.
Julia stealing the dagger means that Alice drank a pint of god load for no reason. Though I wouldn't doubt that this will have repercussions now that she's not going to be a niffin
Martin and Julia teleporting away by cutting the camera away from them is pretty indicative of budget concerns. I'm going to assume Penny will get magic hands next season but spend most every episode in gloves so they don't have to animate them.
They're probably still going to eventually make Quentin a teacher, aren't they? God I hope not.
Eliot drinking with a dog in a costume is absurdly funny to me. It's practically lampshading the budget limitations by not even trying to animate the dog talking. Nope, just Eliot drinking with a dog in a costume without an ounce of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
According to this interview I saw (I'm on my phone so I'm lazy to find the link) they actually did have a bear reserved to play Humbledrum the talking bear but they didn't take hibernation habits into account so they subbed the studio's pet bulldog in, promising they'd get back to the bear eventually.